Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D’Isere to Les Arcs - Ponturin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, has anyone tried what looks like quite a flat relaxed route between Col du Palet and Rosuel? I will be going from Val D’Isere to Les Arcs mid-march and wondering if ski touring across that way could be a nice change from using public transport. It looks doable but wondering if anyone here has done it, especially the lower section which at the foot of the Cascades - looks like it gets steeper and narrow there, not sure how it would look in winter?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That section of GR5 down to Rosuel is quite steep and narrow with rock steps. I would not like to attempt it on skis.

If you look at the IGN 1:25000 map of the area you will see some off pite ski routes marked down to Champagny. From there it will be over La Plagne and the Vanoise Express.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnE, is what you are describing part of the "Tarentaise Tour"?
That, when i did it about 10 years ago with a Guide, started in Tignes, went down to Champagny (short bus ride from Champagny Haute), then up to the top of La Plagne, down the North Face, bus down to Peisey, ski over to Villaroger, and then bus (booked by Guide) back to Tignes.
Quite an adventure.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonpim, probably, other routes are available. I haven't got my maps to hand but I think other routes down to the Doran de Pralognan valley exist, including to Pralognan la Vanoise.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have done the route via Champagny/La Plagne accessed by the Col de Palet and then back to Les Arcs (with the purchase of a half day pass), although there is apparently a less frequented more direct route that ends up in Peisey. There are some avalanche issues so you need to check nearer the time. Ideally you want the slopes to have already avalanched so you can cross the rubble, but once we went down and the rubble was so big, we had instead to cross a large stream, which was interesting. Once off the main slopes you have to ski/skate through the Champagny XC tracks and then get a minibus (best to pre-book) for the last part of the journey to the Champagny ski station. Certainly possible in a day, but not necessarily tenable or safe on any given day.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy