Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder tracers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I bought some powder tracers over 20 years ago, example here.

Used them on occasion but have really only had limited occasions they could have been useful (mainly due to lack of pow conditions).

I bought them as I had one occasion I was digging for my ski for 1 hour+ and very nearly lost it. I don't think I have ever seen anyone using them (unless they have them very well hidden away and I don't see them).

I wonder why that is? Because everyone is claiming to be expert pow skiers and therefore not needed? Some other reason?

What's your views on them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pyramus, search powder+tracers ...there are several threads
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are people trying to lure DG back ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are skiing lift served powder they are a pain in the a$re, as you are constantly attaching and removing them with your skis, and if you forget you have the hassle of them deploying and having to re-stash them.

There have been a couple of effective electronic versions that work well, and several others that didn't. Resqski were probably the best, but they appeared to have ceased production. There have been various people promoting the use of Apple Airtags, with varying degrees of success.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have used them in the past. Actually still have them in the back pack but never get them out.

By nature they are a bit of a faff when you have to remove skis to go on a gondola.

These days me and my group are much less likely to fall/have a ski come off - though it still does happen occasionally.

I guess the question per off piste run how many people actually lose a ski a season and what was the consequence.

As mentioned been discussed before.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just too much faff, on lifts but also when touring. And, yes, I have spent a long time looking for a lost ski... dodgy binding (honest), ski popped off while I was moving fast, went for miles, I tried to stay upright on the other ski and went a long way in a different direction before falling over... and it was late and getting dark and we were in a forest a long way from the piste... I really wished I'd had tracers on that occassion. I went back to using them after that and used a small key-ring sized crabiner to attach the tracer to a loop of cord I kept on the binding, much less faff *if* you remember to unclip them before removing your skis. Even that was annoying so these days I just don't bother.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pyramus wrote:
Hi, I bought some powder tracers over 20 years ago, example here.

Used them on occasion but have really only had limited occasions they could have been useful (mainly due to lack of pow conditions).

I bought them as I had one occasion I was digging for my ski for 1 hour+ and very nearly lost it. I don't think I have ever seen anyone using them (unless they have them very well hidden away and I don't see them).

I wonder why that is? Because everyone is claiming to be expert pow skiers and therefore not needed? Some other reason?

What's your views on them?

IME old 2m skinny skis were much more likely to travel longer distances under the snow than fatter skis. Plus of course it is way easier to ski powder on fatter skis so you have fewer binding releases. Collectively, this means the chance of spending an hour looking for a lost ski is much smaller these days. This means that while the hassle of powder traces might have been justified before the mid-90s, it really hasn't been since then. That's why my 25 year old powder traces haven'y seen any action in 20+ years.

As an aside I'm shocked that someone who has been skiing 20 years could have posted such utter garbage in your other thread. I assumed you must be a teenager!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just wind the bindings up.........
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys, yes they are a faff on lifts which is why they always end up at bottom of the backpack and I take the "risk". Agree risk is lower now with wider skis.

Quote:

As an aside I'm shocked that someone who has been skiing 20 years could have posted such utter garbage in your other thread

Laughing

Just a bit of fun. But don't get me started, I actually don't think it's all garbage.. Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pyramus wrote:
Just a bit of fun.
And you expect people here to give you considered responses to other stuff you might post? You’re just a troll.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, cheer up mate.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pyramus wrote:
@rob@rar, cheer up mate.
I’m perfectly happy. Had three weeks in the Alps last month, been home for a week of fun, and heading back to the Alps tomorrow to what looks like a nice fall of fresh snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have powder traces and have used them at Heavenly a few times when we have been there and it has dumped snow, we have never used them anywhere else. I found finding a ski more difficult as I had travelled down the slope further than I had anticipated after a tumble. These were used when skis were a little skinnier than they are now though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy