Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solo ski costs

Poster: A snowHead
It's been a while since I booked a ski holiday. I was initially looking at a Snoworks course in Tignes but that limits me to date/resort that makes the whole thing way too expensive (I was only selecting the course as a way to ski with people but now thinking just find a holiday in budget!)

So, some internet research seems to have a solo ski holiday anywhere in France coming in at around £2.5K (Crystal). Seems like a lot to me. I know I'm paying a single supplement but are there any more cost-effective ways to do this? My concern DIY would be transfers from airport to resort - here I'm just worried about the high cost and also reliability (i.e. not being stuck in an airport on my own when the transfer hasn't turned up). What roughly does a taxi to the mountains cost from airports like Geneva or Chambray?

Any thoughts on what or where (websites) I should be looking at? Tried Booking.com but that doesn't include transfers. Tried Crystal (see above it's very expensive). Looked at Heidi, not sure if they are better or worse than anyone else. Could plausibly do DIY but I kind of want less stress as it's a holiday! I could self-cater or hotel.

Thanks for any help or advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check out YSEski. Val d'Isere. Chalethotel les Chardons. Have been with them on my own several times. Single rooms - no supplement. Always plenty of people to ski with.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check out YSEski. Val d'Isere. Chalethotel les Chardons. Have been with them on my own several times. Single rooms - no supplement. Always plenty of people to ski with.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do all my trips solo & DIY (well not a whole lot many of them yet, hopefully many to come in the future).

And that’s why I prefer Austria: cheap and reliable transfers by bus and/or train and OKish transfer by several local companies - some pre-scheduled shared minibuses make it almost as cheap as public transport if you can find one.

I usually start by picking a resort that has a train station in town or nearby. Then I check Booking.com for hotel availability & pricing on the dates I intend to travel. If no availability or the prices are crazy, just move the map to another resort. Once I think I found a deal on a hotel I look at available flights to Innsbruck, Salzburg and/or Munich depending on the resort I’m thinking about. And finally ÖBB for trains, or search for shared shuttle transfers. If it all clicks I’ll book.

So far I’ve been able to keep the costs relatively low by doing this, staying in at least *** hotels, some with half-board. We’re talking about 700-1000 for a week’s accommodation, 200-300 for flights and about 100 for transfers, totalling between 1000-1500 excluding lift passes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With the likes of Crystal, as a solo, you need to book early (June/July), otherwise not only do prices go up, but availability (especially for affordable options) drops.

I booked the Aiguille Rouge in Arc 2000 as a solo skier for €1165 (£1011). This was HB without a Ski Pass.

I'm afraid this is not much use to you....but if going solo again and want to find anything approaching affordability, look at prices end June (if possible).

Your only other option with a TO, is run the gauntlet and grab a last minute bargain.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
have a look at ice and fire

https://www.ice-fire.co.uk/travelling-solo/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been going solo now for the last 10 years or so since my better half decided skiing wasnt for her. I mainly stick to apartments in Tignes which, depending on time of year, can be got for around £250-450 for the week. Always book flights when they are released so get them at a good price. I have also done a number of Snoworks courses which I would heartily recommend for meeting, and skiing with, skiers of a similar ability. Transfers have never been an issue and Bensbus have proved quite reliable and flexible if you take that option when booking. Flights booked on Easyjet have also been reliable to date. Did a week before Xmas in Tignes and going back in March, both solo trips. Going solo also has its benefits as you dont need to worry about anybody else ie herding partner, kids etc, through airports and to the transfer bus and back. As Nike say ‘just do it’ Eh oh!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Should have added to my post that apartments have all been booked through Vrbo and Airbnb with no issues to date.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been going solo now for the last 10 years or so since my better half decided skiing wasnt for her. I mainly stick to apartments in Tignes which, depending on time of year, can be got for around £250-450 for the week. Always book flights when they are released so get them at a good price. I have also done a number of Snoworks courses which I would heartily recommend for meeting, and skiing with, skiers of a similar ability. Transfers have never been an issue and Bensbus have proved quite reliable and flexible if you take that option when booking. Flights booked on Easyjet have also been reliable to date. Did a week before Xmas in Tignes and going back in March, both solo trips. Going solo also has its benefits as you dont need to worry about anybody else ie herding partner, kids etc, through airports and to the transfer bus and back. As Nike say ‘just do it’ Eh oh!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the multiple responses. Will have another look. I do have commitment issues with booking too far ahead, so I guess I am being hit by the not quite last-minute premium. All other trips I book are DIY, I have just never got my head around a complete ski package DIY. I need to get over this! I'll go and have another look at the Tignes options, but Austria sounds like it might be good, too thanks @Ravensburger,
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnnyh, You don't say when you're thinking of going but joining one of the bashes is going to be wayyyyy cheaper than all that.

The way they're organised sits between DIY and a package. Basically, I sort out the accommodation, and anything else where I can use the leverage of the group to make the deal better for us (eg typically get between 20% and 45% off ski-hire Shocked ). On the other side, you have a big group of snowHeads, all heading off on a shared mission so you're never having to sort out things on your own. I mean, even when someone has quite specific, individual needs, like for example, needing to turn up on the wrong day, there's still a bunch of people with knowledge and experience to bounce ideas off.

The next bash is the PreBBWUW11 in Alleghe, Italy. There are close to 100 snowHeads heading out there - the Hotel is quality: 4*, in a beautiful setting, the deal is HB and their food is really good! If you're happy to share with others, you can get in there for £600... and that includes the lift pass Cool If you're stuck on having a solo room, obviously it's a little more but nothing remotely close to the prices you're quoting.
The airport transfer is run by the resort and subsidised and there are dozens of snowHeads to 'huddle' in with so no worries about ending up on your own in the airport.

Worth considering? Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Feel like I should add one thing about going solo: If at all possible, I book a hotel that does HB.

For me I feel like travelling (flights, transfers, staying in a hotel) solo is great. Skiing solo is even better, and I don’t mind having lunch or a beer or two aprés alone at all. But come evening, first finding a restaurant I want to have dinner in, walking in and asking “table for one, please”, that’s when I feel alone. Sitting there in the corner, looking around at all those couples, friends and families, see them raising toasts and hearing their conversations and laughter fill the room. Feeling the warmth both of a nearby fireplace and the people around me towards their loved ones. And then lowering my vision back to my half-empty pint of beer, some sadness in my eyes.

Yep, so much less faff in walking downstairs to the hotel buffet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnnyh, you don't say when you want to travel but I think Crystal can do better than £2.5! Try searching from here
www.crystalski.co.uk/solo-ski-holidays/ then scroll down to the deals and change the 'sort by' box to 'low to high' and change the filters of course to when and where you want to go. Or as Admin says come on a Bash.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

So, some internet research seems to have a solo ski holiday anywhere in France coming in at around £2.5K (Crystal)

Seems an awful lot to me. Have you already discounted UCPA (https://www.ucpa.com/destinations/les-arcs-portes-de-la-vanoise)?

Otherwise Ski Olympic were offering half board holidays Christmas week for £1100 ish

Otherwise either keep searching for last minute deals. As you are solo you may be more flexible. Or book an apartment and transfer and join a ski lesson.
Quote:

Sitting there in the corner, looking around at all those couples, friends and families, see them raising toasts and hearing their conversations and laughter fill the room.

I'm not sure if this still happens but in Les Arcs when there has been only 3 of us at a table the propritor will ask if we mind a solo joining us. When I used to work alone in Rome quite often the head waiter would put me a a table with an Roman family (always with the children becasue they spoke English)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bob wrote:
have a look at ice and fire

https://www.ice-fire.co.uk/travelling-solo/

I've not spotted them before, but looks pretty good if they're genuinely not charging solo supplement for their quiet weeks. Suspect they might not be so keen for a group of 10 to all take single occupancy though.

It's definitely worth calling the tour operators when it's within the last week before departure as they'll often waive the single supplement. Especially in January.

But most of my trips tend to be solo now and self-organised. With easyjet timings from Brum to Geneva being pretty good, I currently tend to focus on Swiss ski areas I can get the train to, but alpybus are very reliable for Chamonix and Aravis Shuttle for La Clusaz / Grand-Bornand.

Going solo, I tend to go for 4 or 5 nights now, with 3 or 4 nights on the piste on my own. By the end of that, even I'm generally bored of my own company!
snow report
admin wrote:
@johnnyh, You don't say when you're thinking of going but joining one of the bashes is going to be wayyyyy cheaper than all that.

The way they're organised sits between DIY and a package. Basically, I sort out the accommodation, and anything else where I can use the leverage of the group to make the deal better for us (eg typically get between 20% and 45% off ski-hire Shocked ). On the other side, you have a big group of snowHeads, all heading off on a shared mission so you're never having to sort out things on your own. I mean, even when someone has quite specific, individual needs, like for example, needing to turn up on the wrong day, there's still a bunch of people with knowledge and experience to bounce ideas off.

The next bash is the PreBBWUW11 in Alleghe, Italy. There are close to 100 snowHeads heading out there - the Hotel is quality: 4*, in a beautiful setting, the deal is HB and their food is really good! If you're happy to share with others, you can get in there for £600... and that includes the lift pass Cool If you're stuck on having a solo room, obviously it's a little more but nothing remotely close to the prices you're quoting.
The airport transfer is run by the resort and subsidised and there are dozens of snowHeads to 'huddle' in with so no worries about ending up on your own in the airport.

Worth considering? Wink

I went on my first bash last year (End of Season to Val Thorens) and had a great week in excellent accommodation for a lot less than OP has been quoted.

You obviously take a slight risk as far as getting on with those you share your accommodation with, but I had a great time and would say I struck very lucky as I was able to have the perfect balance of doing my own thing and others being around if / when I didn't want to.

The snow gods were also unbelievably kind and a dump of snow on our penultimate night resulted in probably the single best fresh snow day I've ever had in Europe.

Wouldn't hesitate to go on another if I can make the days work, but will probably be a late decision if so.
ski holidays
@johnnyh, Sad to see these threads and remember our old friends MountainSun who were so perfect and so cheap and went to such great resorts... Sad

Jude, Joanne - if you're still reading then "Hi" snowHead
latest report
@red 27, +1
snow report
jebroni3_16 wrote:
I had a great time and would say I struck very lucky as I was able to have the perfect balance of doing my own thing and others being around if / when I didn't want to.
aahh, so it was 'luck' was it? Wink Toofy Grin
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
With the likes of Crystal, as a solo, you need to book early (June/July), otherwise not only do prices go up, but availability (especially for affordable options) drops.

I booked the Aiguille Rouge in Arc 2000 as a solo skier for €1165 (£1011).

My favourite hotel! Not for the quality (there isn't any) but for the awesome, awesome location and the buffet food (which stops my kids complaining). I'll be there again in a couple weeks. Over the last 7 years it's averaged out about £6-700 per person for a week's half board (in January) for 2 or more people with Crystal, so they definitely are stiffing solo skiers. It was actually a bit cheaper this year than last year (so I went with Travelki last year instead).

What dates are you there? We've spoken so many times on here it would be remiss not to meet face to face if we're going to be at the same hotel at the same time. I'm there from 13th to 20th.
snow report
greengriff wrote:

What dates are you there? We've spoken so many times on here it would be remiss not to meet face to face if we're going to be at the same hotel at the same time. I'm there from 13th to 20th.

I'm not, I'm afraid....so let me explain.

I got an email from Crystal saying that they'd lost their allocation and offered an alternative in Tignes Lac. The alternative was a decent upgrade and they even replaced the Les Arcs Only ski pass, with a full area EK one.

I would very much liked to have met - it might have been possible as I was due to be there from 7th to 14th - but it will have to be another time. I usually end up in either Tignes or Les Arcs. This year I am solo (and was going to ski with a snowHead who has an apartment there), but usually go with my Daughter. However, thanks to the power of this forum, I will be skiing with another snowHead for the week. To paraphrase William Butler Yeats, "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet".
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, Oh well. Nil desperandum as the Romans (used to) say. If it's providence to meet one day, we surely will.

I've seen a few people grumbling about Crystal shifting them about recently. Not something I've ever noticed before. I wonder what's going on?
snow conditions
I do at least one solo trip and one lads trip a year as well as sporadic family trips . . .

As per Ravensburger comments IME Austria is your best bet as connections from Salzburg are v cheap and frequent (eg OBB app / 15 euros Bus 260 to Zell) whereas private transfers can be v expensive / shared services limited in terms of arrival and departure windows.

Midweek flights also a lot cheaper if you can time them right and are happy to do less than Sat to Sat; cheap accom via Bookings.com can be found as some hotels do have a small amount of dedicated single bed rooms or alternatively you can slum it in a pension which are also totally doable if your not bothered about surroundings etc.

I've done a few solo trips with Ski Miquel if you want a week long package deal and something a bit more sociable - they have a couple of venues with a single room (Montgenevre / Saalbach) - the food is excellent and the daily 'free' ski guiding group is a laugh and negates the need for a piste map - tables are also pre-booked up the mountain for lunch in a different venue every day! Excellent value (eg £750-1k all in) compared to the majority of other mainstream package operators (eg Crystal / Inghams / Neilson)
ski holidays
Ski Weekends have now got some solo offers available for the next couple of weeks: LINK

Only used them once before in Flaine but had an excellent experience which included a private transfer back on departure day at around 6am. Couldn't have done that on my own for anything like a comparable cost.

Since then, I've tended to book my own solo trips for a night or two longer than what they offer, but these might work well for others.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy