Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste insurance without guide or qualified instructor

Poster: A snowHead
Any advice for old biddy (67) who just wants to potter a little off piste and do a beginner afternoon tour. No steep stuff. Ski Club of GB cover is £350 ish. I have normal medical cover through my bank. For a 90 day trip to the Pyrenees. To give you an idea of the level - I don't own an avi bag yet.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CathyAuLait, Have you looked at ski club platinum membership. It’s £235 for a year but you would need an extension by calling them to cover the 90 days. My extension for 80 days on skis but max trip length of 60 days is 35 quidish.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try Austrian Alpine Club, was less than £50 for an oldie like ourselves and will get you off any mountain world wide.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check out MPI, their cover covers off piste without guide,but you might need to talk to them about single trip length....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CathyAuLait, I and my friends use Austrian Alpine Club which provides the cover you want. I think their OAP membership is about £45 a year. That’s what I have. The only drawback is that the health cover part (and that part alone) is limited to 45 days. So I usually fly home for a couple of days, every 40 days or so, which goes down well with the present Mrs hammondr.

If you intend to stay for an unbroken period the AAC provide enhanced cover for a bit more. Check it out on their website. Certainly less than £350.

AAC membership also provides a 50% discount for overnight stays in mountain huts run by other national Alpine Clubs (excluding grub).

As for the airbag; we may be outliers, but only 2 of my companions own one and none take them on longer tours.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone, very helpful. If you happen to pass by Baqueira and see an old lady upside down just off the side of the piste, please pick me up!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi @CathyAuLait, have you checked with Keith & Alison on their insurance choice.
Two pretty savvy people who will have looked into it carefully.
Have a great season!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You could look at snowcard, bit complicated website but it can cover this, used them for many years. So far luckily not had to claim and unfortunately that’s the only way to find out how good they are, underwrighters are a major insurer
I pay about £250 age 57 per year for basically doing anything bit fun on holidays for the year, not just skiing as also a tek diver
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would agree that Snowcard are very good with the flexibility of their policies tailored to you particular mix of activities and duration of trip. And yes they do have a major underwriter, but that underwriter leaves something to be desired. I have had a minor pending (non-ski related) claim with them for over 2 months. They have paid me £100 for not sorting it out, but still not paid the claim itself which is only worth about £200 net!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We went with a std annual policy including winter sports from Staysure, plus 12 month AAC membership to be able to cover the off piste and touring aspects. I'm 63, no health problems all in (both policies) £168.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bob wrote:
We went with a std annual policy including winter sports from Staysure, plus 12 month AAC membership to be able to cover the off piste and touring aspects. I'm 63, no health problems all in (both policies) £168.

Be a little careful with Staysure - for reasons that were highlighted on here in the past.

Their wording says, "Resort authorities classify avalanche risk as follows:
1 = Low, 2= Moderate, 3= Considerable, 4= High, 5 = Very High. You are not covered in areas classified as avalanche rating 3 or above.

When contacted at that time, they confirmed that this also applied to Piste skiing....so I would find out if this is still the case, as it is often Level 3 or above.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski lots wrote:
I would agree that Snowcard are very good with the flexibility of their policies tailored to you particular mix of activities and duration of trip. And yes they do have a major underwriter, but that underwriter leaves something to be desired. I have had a minor pending (non-ski related) claim with them for over 2 months. They have paid me £100 for not sorting it out, but still not paid the claim itself which is only worth about £200 net!

I assume Axa?
I have been waiting/chasing since March for a £200 payout, so interesting that they paid you for not sorting it out. I should push harder.
Had used Snowcard for years but won’t any longer as they just wash their hands on the claims process with Axa.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CathyAuLait wrote:
Any advice for old biddy (67) who just wants to potter a little off piste and do a beginner afternoon tour. No steep stuff. Ski Club of GB cover is £350 ish. I have normal medical cover through my bank. For a 90 day trip to the Pyrenees. To give you an idea of the level - I don't own an avi bag yet.

what are you trying to insure?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dozofoz, actually Allianz.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AAC (UK) No brainer. But it is only Rescue cover and immediate medical treatment followed by repatriation to where you normally get seen.
ski holidays
My ski buddy had a very serious ankle injury , Snowcard were fantastic .
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
Bob wrote:

Be a little careful with Staysure - for reasons that were highlighted on here in the past.

1 = Low, 2= Moderate, 3= Considerable, 4= High, 5 = Very High. You are not covered in areas classified as avalanche rating 3 or above.

When contacted at that time, they confirmed that this also applied to Piste skiing....so I would find out if this is still the case, as it is often Level 3 or above.

hence AAC
ski holidays
Bob wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Bob wrote:

hence AAC

I was really highlighting it in case someone else reading this thread was considering Staysure for their only insurance. It's potentially a very big loophole.
latest report
@CathyAuLait, austrian alpine club as mentioned can be found here....

https://www.alpenverein.at/britannia/

I've taken the same thing out for us 2 out here in Austria but via their austrian pages.

Hope you're well.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, appreciate the guidance. I'll look into the base insurance again to be sure.
snow conditions
Bob wrote:
@Old Fartbag, appreciate the guidance. I'll look into the base insurance again to be sure.

IMV. Having Ski Insurance for On Piste (which should be deemed safe if open, no matter what the Avalanche level), that doesn't apply at Level 3 or above, is next to useless.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Bob wrote:

IMV. Having Ski Insurance for On Piste (which should be safe if open, no matter the Avalanche level), that doesn't apply at Level 3 or above, is next to useless.

Yep, thats a fair view
snow report
Bob wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
Bob wrote:

IMV. Having Ski Insurance for On Piste (which should be safe if open, no matter the Avalanche level), that doesn't apply at Level 3 or above, is next to useless.

Yep, thats a fair view

If you check it out - let us know what they say, as I've no wish to highlight this if it no longer applies.
snow conditions
wording is still in the policy
latest report
Bob wrote:
wording is still in the policy

I still think the wording isn't clear. It could be argued that the warning is for Off Piste only, which hasn't been made/declared safe....but the resort doesn't have a Piste rating and an Off Piste rating. IMV There is a presumption that any unsafe Piste will be closed...but underwriters don't work on presumptions.
ski holidays
Agree, And I do expect level 3 to be the norm. I'd prefer not to get into a convoluted discussion with Staysure/ underwriters at a later date, or worse have my next of kin have to. I'll change to another one. In fact I was looking at LV at the time but their website kept hanging.
snow report
how about this one... any thoughts?

https://document-url-service.tif-it.co.uk/api/DocumentUrl/acquire/9a39b66883b0a3a82371624ff6078875718c289c387a1369f352a4ec3a233582
ski holidays
Has anyone got experience of claiming from a personal basic insurance policy when they have AAC (or Carre Neige) in France to 'compliment' or bolster? Specifically when the claim relates to something not covered by their personal insurance? Skiing off piste without a guide for example? I get that AAC might get you recovered off the mountain and even some immediate medical cover at/ to a local medical centre but surely your own travel insurance still has zero liability for any further/ ongoing support because the claim still relates to something they don't cover? Irrelevant of the fact you are now sat at the local medical centre having received first aid rather than being off piste. I would consider those add ons as helpful to avoid some immediate costs and conversations rather than an alternative to a full policy which covers you for what you plan to do
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
toyah807 wrote:
I get that AAC might get you recovered off the mountain and even some immediate medical cover at/ to a local medical centre but surely your own travel insurance still has zero liability for any further/ ongoing support because the claim still relates to something they don't cover?

I think you are correct. If the personal insurance doesn't cover medical expenses for certain types of accidents then it wouldn't be covered. Something to look at very carefully I expect. Insurers don't make money covering stuff they haven't assessed.
ski holidays
@toyah807, I think that's probably a very valid point, and one often missed. I may have made that mistake myself in the past.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy