Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

route to learning to ski with spina bifida/tethered spinal cord/syringomyelia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wonder if anyone knows the best route to learning to ski (or: has any ideas as to how to find out the best route, or even how to find out if learning to ski is possible/advisable) for someone with spina bifida, syringomyelia and a tethered spinal cord.

We're talking somwone who is ambulant, pretty fit and active (can comfortably walk 15km on the flat, is pretty fatigued after walking 20km, but is often in quite intense pain when walking even short distances uphill). Is an experienced yoga practitioner (& trained yoga teacher) but has very limited movement when it comes to bending forward (& has been advised not to bend at the waist). Has very limited (but non-zero) dorsiflexion (but more plantar flexion). The impact of falling in uncontrolled ways risks causing damage (so perhaps leaning to ski is a bar idea? Or are there ways of mitigating this risk or avoiding falling while learning?)

My thoughts are that an initial conversation with an experienced adaptive ski instructor would be a good first step, followed perhaps by some private lessons with that instructor, if suitable. Is that a wise idea? If so, does anyone know of a good candidate? (is anyone here such a candidate themselves?) If not: anyone have any better ideas?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JayRo, Are you looking for an adaptive instructor in the UK? If so, where does your friend live?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs: I think so, but I think before that I'm also looking to be able to find out if this is something an adaptive instructor can help with, as it's not clear how this person fits into any of the various adaptive disciplines.

But: Cardiff. Most accessible fridge is probably Hemel.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@JayRo, I think a good first step would be to have a conversation with Disability Snowsport UK. They will be in a good position to advise what is possible, and have an active programme at Hemel if that’s a good place to start.

https://www.disabilitysnowsport.org.uk/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, @rob@rar!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@JayRo, I'd be happy to help... I've been teaching adaptive skiing for many years and have a pocketful of qualifcations to back up the experience! However, to make any kind of reasonable assessment of what would and would not be possible I'd have to meet the person, see how they move and figure out the implications etc. I'm based in Austria though. I expect your person wouldn't be willing to travel here just to see what/if would be possible. Although, it is a lovely place for a holiday Laughing

As others have mentioned, if you want to find someone in the UK to help, then probably your first stop should be DSUK. James, at Hemel knows his stuff.

Good luck!
If you have more questions, give me a shout. I'll help if I can.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, @SaraJ, this is hugely helpful. PM sent.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JayRo, Ski4AllWales are based in Pembrey dry ski slope & offer all sorts of support for adaptive skiing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, @Scarletgirl.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy