Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheaper route to touring setup?

Poster: A snowHead
I decided not to do the sopib this season because last year, it was expected that the higher groups would be doing some skinning routes and this is something that hasn't been of any interest to me as the expense : enjoyment ratio is too low, but maybe I can reduce the expense side? But firstly, I need to know what everyone is taking about & how much I already know Puzzled

The key difference is a binding that allows the heel to lift or lock down?

I've seen friends using lightweight touring boots and skis with pin bindings, this looks like the most expensive option as it's all new kit.

I already have a pair of 95mm skis that are surplus to requirements that I could fit touring bindings to but they are a bit heavy? @ 3880g / pair? I'll be medium fitness (30 min for 5k run) 185cm/90kg more of a constant plodder than rock whippet.

I would definitely want the bias towards downhill performance, no point in putting the effort in if the reward is compromised.

Shift/frame bindings, are these the same thing? I have seen setups where the heel & toe bindings are fixed to a frame that hinges on the ski.

Can pin binding inserts be fitted to std alpine boots?

Key thing is cost, I might not even have money to get to the mountains at all this season, which is obviously the cheapest, made in China option Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hire gear.

Otherwise my son fitted some Fritschi Diamirs to some old skis, they cost him 45 euros, New Old Stock, and he was good. Well at least for tours of around 500 meters altitude. Anything more and he found his very flexible alpine boots with walk mode to be uncomfortable for walking.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hiring boots is definitely not an option, I need custom fit boots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've done a couple of 1-2 hour climbs with standard alpine boots (no walk mode) and Marker frame bindings (F10, but you might want one of the beefier versions). It was fine, but anything much longer and the knees, such as they are, wouldn't have been very happy.

Shifts need a boot with pin inserts for the uphill, but have an alpine heel for the descent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The cheapest way would probably be to find some second hand skis with a frame binding, then you can use your current boots. They have a reasonable amount of adjustment (the Marker ones come as S or L), so you may not need to re-drill. If they don't come with skins, you can get these second hand too, just buy to fit or bigger and trim them down.

However, that is going to be heavy. You could have 5kg per foot, when those on lightweight kit will have half that. If you're not fit enough, you soon will be, or die trying Laughing

Personally, I'm playing the long game (I do have lightweight kit, but I don't use it often, so for the purpose of this discussion I shall ignore it). My next everyday boots will be fitted with inserts. The last pair of skis I bought was fitted with Shift bindings. I got some skins secondhand from someone who had trashed one ski. Eventually these things will match up and I will be able to use those skis for up as well as down (though it won't be far, because they're quite heavy), and any more I buy will be fitted similarly if it makes sense. My frame bindings will eventually get rotated out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tangowaggon, those skis are a bit heavy but not too bad, esp if you’re just dabbling to see if you like it.

Some frame bindings (eg Marker F12 or F10) would be a good bet. Ski quite well, reliable, cheaper than other options

It’s quite a heavy combination but it’s usable like a normal alpine setup and lots of people started out on heavier/worse kit before tech bindings proliferated
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno wrote:
@tangowaggon, those skis are a bit heavy but not too bad, esp if you’re just dabbling to see if you like it.

Some frame bindings (eg Marker F12 or F10) would be a good bet. Ski quite well, reliable, cheaper than other options

It’s quite a heavy combination but it’s usable like a normal alpine setup and lots of people started out on heavier/worse kit before tech bindings proliferated

yep, this.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tangowaggon wrote:

Shift/frame bindings, are these the same thing? I have seen setups where the heel & toe bindings are fixed to a frame that hinges on the ski.

You've probably answered this now with the replies, but no, they're not the same.

As you say, with the frame binding the whole thing hinges.

With a shift binding, you fiddle around with it for up and down. On the way up, it's a pin binding with the heels loose, and one the way down, its essentially the same as an alpine binding.

You'll most likely be able to find a pair of frame bindings on Facebook or ebay etc for not a lot of money. That and some 2nd hand skins chucked on your 95mm skis is your cheapest intro.

Obviously you need to buy some avalanche gear too, but you could rent that as and when you're going to tour?

It depends how much you want to get in to it. If you're looking at lift assisted touring/off piste you won't need to worry about weight as much as only touring without lifts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tangowaggon wrote:
I decided not to do the sopib this season because last year, it was expected that the higher groups would be doing some skinning routes and this is something that hasn't been of any interest to me as the expense : enjoyment ratio is too low, but maybe I can reduce the expense side? But firstly, I need to know what everyone is taking about & how much I already know Puzzled

Surely someone on that trip has a spare pair they can lend you to try out?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

They did, but my mind wasn't in a good place at the time to try it, I'm still very much the adrenaline junkie, that likes offpiste but is more inclined to enjoy piste skiing than hiking an hour for a few min of good offpiste, hence my cost : enjoyment ratio comment
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It was me. There was grumpiness! But yes, in general trying it out with frame binding (which you can probably rent) and existing boots is probably the best plan: if you can tolerate it but the weight is a pain you can think about other kit later.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tangowaggon wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

They did, but my mind wasn't in a good place at the time to try it, I'm still very much the adrenaline junkie, that likes offpiste but is more inclined to enjoy piste skiing than hiking an hour for a few min of good offpiste, hence my cost : enjoyment ratio comment

The question I tend to ask people thinking of touring is "do you like hiking?". If you don't then probably give ski touring a miss.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The question I tend to ask people thinking of touring is "do you like hiking?". If you don't then probably give ski touring a miss

OP does 10km runs. Nothing is more boring than running so I'd suggest that he will be fine with a little bit of lift-assisted touring!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
leggyblonde wrote:
Quote:

The question I tend to ask people thinking of touring is "do you like hiking?". If you don't then probably give ski touring a miss

OP does 10km runs. Nothing is more boring than running so I'd suggest that he will be fine with a little bit of lift-assisted touring!

Harsh but fair Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
2nd hand skins and some Marker frame bindings are absolutely fine to try it all out
ski holidays
As
kitenski wrote:
2nd hand skins and some Marker frame bindings are absolutely fine to try it all out

This is exactly my advice.
I've done 100's of days in Marker's and Fritchis, back in the beggining the now defunct securifix adapter plates.
I still run F10/12's on most of my skis and then Plum or G3's on ligher skies intended for big climbs.

As for can pin's be put into existing alpine boots - definetly yes, I've done a few pairs myself, including helping Glen Plake prove Dlabello Engineers wrong many years ago - but if you are not confident about doing a non standard engine swap on your own car this is not a route to go down.

If you are looking for one boot to do all. IF they fit your feet a Roxa RX3 is a good choice. Very light weight and inexpensive compared to it's rivals and stiff as well, needs a wrap around liner to make it work to it's full potential - again IF they fit your feet.
ski holidays
leggyblonde wrote:
Quote:

+1 I actually hate running, but enjoy the effects of being fit, especially after seeing the state of poor Ronan710 after a walk out on the gnarlibug this year Toofy Grin my legs never ache on ski trips since I took up running as a ski fit exercise. I onlybdo 5k, not 10, 7.5 is the furthest I ever ran.
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, do you know roughly how far the ascents are likely to be?

Second hand frame bindings (Marker Dukes, Barons, F10s etc) plus 2nd hand skins on your old skis will be just fine, and not crazy heavy - but if you're also using normal alpine boots without a walk mode then I think anything much over 3-400 vert metres/1 hour of skinning is likely to become more painful than it's worth... That would still be fine if you're just hiking a bit from the lifts to access lines, but I would re-think hiring if you start approaching 2+ hour ascents.
ski holidays
leggyblonde wrote:

Depends where you are running Very Happy
snow conditions
I am trying to move on a pair of guardians...
Ideal binding if anyone looking for a cheap path into touring (can use with alpine boots)

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165638
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
I would re-think hiring if you start approaching 2+ hour ascents.

Any type of hired boot is probably out of the question, a touring boot may be more comfortable on a longer hike, but a hired boot will be uncomfortable as soon as it is put on. Very Happy
ski holidays
Get a splitboard. Easier boot choice plus you will look a lot cooler
snow report
@tangowaggon, good point made in @Haggis_Trap, post, you get into another minefield of what bindings are compatible with alpine and/or touring boot soles....

I started with alpine boots and frame bindings, was fine IMHO, I did a 3 day hut to hut tour in them, with just one blister and plenty of day hikes. I've recently moved to a hybrid boot and Shift bindings mainly to save a bit of weight and not have to lift the whole binding when walking up (with a Norway trip planned....0
snow conditions
@hang11, No need, the SOPiB snowboard group get free use of Jones Hovercraft splits Very Happy
snow conditions
hang11 wrote:
Get a splitboard. Easier boot choice plus you will look a lot cooler

Laughing nothing cool about walking like a crippled duck with one foot in the board on the flats, or worse still, hanging on to your mate's ski pole as SHE tows you along Laughing Laughing
latest report
Ahh but if you split board you have poles so you can avoid all the one foot shuffle thing Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 20-09-23 9:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@leggyblonde, I’ve had a hovercraft solid for a few years, my go to board for heli. So much fun Happy
snow report
I've given it some thought, not actually very much and whilst touring skis might make some sense for when it snows in the UK for a quick trip to the Moors or Dales, the hassle & expense of lugging an extra pair of skis to the Alps, to spend 2 hrs hiking uphill when I could be skiing, is not for me. I would definitely be interested if I had the spare cash for the kit AND I was in the mountains for the season, but to squander some of my precious 3-4 weeks on snow on hiking, nah. However! I said this about snowshoeing once, dismissing the very idea with total contempt, 2 minutes before the most gorgeous Swedish girls in the hotel walked past with their snowshoes! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tangowaggon, I don't have "touring skis", as also don't want to be lugging extra skis around. I have R.98s with skins and Shift bindings and a hybrid boot, seems to fit the bill for me and does most things I'd want. I also had my Volkl Codewalls quiver killed so my piste skis also take the shift bindings, so 2 pairs of skis, most all eventualities catered for!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy