Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Get orf my backcountry: trespass criminalized in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The northern section of the Chartreuse mountains will be closed to both backcountry skiers and walkers except for one right of way. The move is being watched closely by landowners who may use a new law to block access to their lands for both skiers and walkers.

The new Trespass law is part of ecological measures but opponents worry it will be siezed on by landowners to stop people's open access to nature. Hunters have been rejoicing that they will be able to block walkers and mountain bikers from their hunting grounds. Farmers may also use the law to stop so called "eco warriors" from invading their land and destroying crops / camping.

https://pistehors.com/AXzRkooB1g7SdbHcgOka/new-french-law-criminalizes-access-to-the-backcountry
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting....@davidof, I can only imagine some extremely acrimonious encounters between the different groups. Please keep us up to date on how this develops .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
UM! aristocratic people blocking public access to land just so they and their clients can hunt. Perhaps the French Communist party should get its back bottom in gear and sort out a mass trespass like the British did on Kinder . A popular singer like Ewan MacColl would help
http://youtube.com/v/YENYMwuCG2Y
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah here we go…

Trump likely to be nominee in USA
Conflict growing around the world
Populism rife in so many countries

Progress is not always forward….
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rogerdodger, the Chartreuse is the tip of the iceberg. Other landowners are looking at restricting access to their land which could affect other ski touring routes and off piste areas.

However a develoment in the Chartreuse. One of the French guides' unions has lodge a complaint. They wonder by what right the "gamekeepers" have to take clients on what amount to climbing routes, especially in winter when there is also an avalanche risk, without holding a guiding qualification. It is a good point as ski tourers have come across guided parties on some very steep, snow covered routes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, given the importance French authorities attach to having the right qualifications for leading groups in the mountains for payment that is a very good point. Time to break out the popcorn? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink wrote:
@davidof, given the importance French authorities attach to having the right qualifications for leading groups in the mountains for payment that is a very good point. Time to break out the popcorn? Madeye-Smiley

You would have thought so, moment of truth time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@davidof, it's been happening in a few other areas, not so much land owners but the environmentalists succeeding in getting areas "interdit" on the basis of bird's habitat.

In Serre Che a massive area that was accessible from the Cibouit chair, and one that I know many SH's have skied is now roped off on the above basis.

If the area is in a National Park then ok, but in the case of Serre Che this was classic side country off-piste, and could be quite challenging and dangerous with the genuine chance of getting caught in a slide, though who would be so stupid to do that rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One for @davidof, presumably. Has there been or are you aware of any formal statement from CAF. It strikes me that loud noises need to be made from the correct people.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, it's been happening in a few other areas, not so much land owners but the environmentalists succeeding in getting areas "interdit" on the basis of bird's habitat.

In Serre Che a massive area that was accessible from the Cibouit chair, and one that I know many SH's have skied is now roped off on the above basis.

If the area is in a National Park then ok, but in the case of Serre Che this was classic side country off-piste, and could be quite challenging and dangerous with the genuine chance of getting caught in a slide, though who would be so stupid to do that rolling eyes Laughing

I have witnessed a mud / rock slide and it is absolutely terrifying. Skiing in Bonneval 15 years ago, the slide happened across the other side of the valley. I think the snow had been holding up melted water and ice. The snow had melted sufficiently to suddenly give way and the consequent water torrent carried down rocks and mud with a very loud rumble. It was outside the ski area so thankfully we were not in danger, but there may have been people caught by it because within minutes two helicopters arrived with one hovering just above one place. I couldn't see anybody being picked up though up so hopefully nobody was affected. Withing half an hour or so there were 20 or 30 people climbing over the area looking for casualties. Hopefully nobody was caught in it and the rescue services were responding just in case or for practice. If anybody was caught in the slide I don't think the outcome would be very positive. At least with a snow avalanche and you are wearing an airbag pack and location transmitters you would stand a chance but if caught in this rock slide, I think not!

I am a inveterate hill walker in the UK, and would love to do more hiking in the Alps, but this experience certainly puts me off!

But just to be clear I hope free access continues!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Take a g*n while offpiste in France and say you're going hunting wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rogerdodger wrote:
One for @davidof, presumably. Has there been or are you aware of any formal statement from CAF. It strikes me that loud noises need to be made from the correct people.

Nothing I've seen officially from the CAF. The French Mountaineering Federation has called for "dialog". They are more affected by the law changes as land owners are using the legislation to close access to climbing and bouldering routes.

There was a demo which attracted around "1000" people on the 15th October, according to the organisers - the Isere CAF were part of the organisation. The demonstration asked for hunting to be banned in nature reserves and for open access to wilderness.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy