Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problems related to skiing!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to understand skier's pain points for a report - what are some problems that you face while skiing (both if you're a local or on ski holidays) and what do you do to solve these? Please feel free to rant all you want! This will really help me Smile Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Physical pain, or PITA situations/events?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@iskipow, Financial - never any goddam money, it all goes on skiing for last 30 years.....It's a very misunderstood addiction, I've discussed with my therapist many times and all I get told is to stop moaning and how's about this place next time?! wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, My doctor is the same. Even had to bring him along on a couple of trips. No help whatsoever. rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mollerski, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
idiot tourists?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Markymark29 wrote:
@iskipow, Financial - never any goddam money, it all goes on skiing for last 30 years.....It's a very misunderstood addiction, I've discussed with my therapist many times and all I get told is to stop moaning and how's about this place next time?! wink
Yeah I feel you ahah! How do you deal with this? Do you go to more local places instead of far (and expensive)? Adopt stricter saving rituals to go skiing? Any tips in specific?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
idiot tourists?
Do you do anything in specific to avoid idiot tourists? That is definitely something that frustrates me too ahah
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski wrote:
Physical pain as in more 'serious' injuries (i.e. ACL/MCL etc) or more 'frustrating' but not serious types of pains (i.e. shinbang)? Could you recall how you try to minimize this problem?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
iskipow wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
Physical pain as in more 'serious' injuries (i.e. ACL/MCL etc) or more 'frustrating' but not serious types of pains (i.e. shinbang)? Could you recall how you try to minimize this problem?

Don't fall over. Learn to ski better.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
iskipow wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

That's a dumbass statement if serious?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
iskipow wrote:
under a new name wrote:
idiot tourists?
Do you do anything in specific to avoid idiot tourists? That is definitely something that frustrates me too ahah

They tend to be time-concentrated so we go elsewhere in those periods … also rando, off piste …
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mollerski wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
iskipow wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

That's a dumbass statement if serious?

What, so you don't think improving your skiing to a level where you're putting less stress on your joints and muscles and rarely fall over is going to minimise risk of injury or exacerbation of existing injuries?

And I answered the question "how do you try..." from a personal perspective, not simply as a blanket statement. I had injuries (not from skiing). I wanted to carry on skiing despite them. I took lots of training to improve my skiing (and become an instructor). I fall perhaps once or twice a season. I've not aggravated those injuries and have been able to use skiing technique to overcome some of them and avoid getting any more.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That is a great point. Technique is surely one of if not the most important injury prevention mechanism.

Still, there are products or easy "fixes" for annoying pains. I.e. for shinbang the straps you buy to tighten up your boots are very helpful for me. I have done the same by using a makeshift extra boot lace.

I am trying to dig in on whether skiers have more of these annoying kinds of pain that they have done some "bodge" of a solution to fix. Any experiences relating to this?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"products or easy "fixes" for annoying pains. I.e. for shinbang"

Booster straps. Very effective, strangely! I had some Atomic Redster120 boots which would, occasionally, fold in half in bumps. Problem solved with Boosters.

Other issues related to ski buddies running out of holiday allowance fixed by Snowheads. Simples.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

"Don't fall over." Really?? So should we all set off in the morning with a different mindset from the from the 'let's ski like a nutter and spend half the day on my back bottom' mindset which your comment implies? No one has any control over falling over, other than not skiing out of control. Which is a different subject. The influence/interference of others may put us over and that cannot be controlled.

"Learn to ski better." I'd argue that very few don't hit the snow aiming to improve on some level or another. However, this comment is somewhat trite and patronising to some older skiers whom are putting everything into maintaining their ski levels and not deteriorating. Learning/improving is no longer an option for them.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 15-09-23 9:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Mollerski,
Quote:

Learning/improving is no longer an option for them.

I beg to differ.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Mollerski,
Quote:

I beg to differ.

Good for you. Cool

Obviously getting older comes to us all in various ways depending on how far down the road we are.
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
"Learn to ski better." I'd argue that very few don't hit the snow aiming to improve on some level or another.

I'd argue that very few do, and that fewer still are actually taking steps to maximize the likelihood that improvement happens.
latest report
@JayRo, I'd be with you on that.

@Mollerski,
Quote:

older skiers whom are putting everything into maintaining their ski levels and not deteriorating. Learning/improving is no longer an option for them.
I think that's arrant nonsense as a generalisation.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@JayRo, I'd be with you on that.

@Mollerski,
Quote:

older skiers whom are putting everything into maintaining their ski levels and not deteriorating. Learning/improving is no longer an option for them.
I think that's arrant nonsense as a generalisation.

..and you're absolutely entitled to your opinion, as am I. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
JayRo wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
"Learn to ski better." I'd argue that very few don't hit the snow aiming to improve on some level or another.

I'd argue that very few do, and that fewer still are actually taking steps to maximize the likelihood that improvement happens.

Improvement occurs in many ways. Are you saying that to ''maximise'' improvement, formal lessons must be taken? The mere act of taking to the snow is practise. Every km covered is an opportunity to fine tune and improve. Especially for us Brits, with only limited access to snow. Do you think that only a few skiers go through this process? I disagree.
ski holidays
I fell over a lot whilst learning. To me, it was part of the process. Now it's maybe once or twice in a week. But I've been fortunate not to have done any serious damage either way (touches wood).

I had a mate who did his shoulder in a very low speed fall, came over a ledge blind in bad visibility. Collisions are another source of injury. Also ACL's sometimes just go don't they. A guy I know was doing a very simple movement (not skiing) and it went.

In mitigation I think for me:

1) Read the terrain/conditions as much as possible to avoid falls, obstacles, unexpected ledges, etc.
2) Be aware of people around you, try to maintain/create space between skiers.
3) As when driving assume everyone on the slope is an idiot.
4) Try to not get yourself in awkward positions.
5) Ensure your equipment is functional and set correctly.

There may be others, a lot of this is know not conscious and done without thinking, built up over time (I am getting on a bit!)
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
JayRo wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

Improvement occurs in many ways. Are you saying that to ''maximise'' improvement, formal lessons must be taken? The mere act of taking to the snow is practise. Every km covered is an opportunity to fine tune and improve. Especially for us Brits, with only limited access to snow. Do you think that only a few skiers go through this process? I disagree.

Are you talking about the 'improvement' that the vast majority of holiday skiers make over a week, where they start off a bit rusty and increase in confidence and speed? And then do the same thing the next time they ski?
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:

I have the new variant of this called « eBiking ». It’s even wirse Shocked
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:

I'm looking forward to all the money I'll have to spend on skiing when I come out of therapy.
snow conditions
Attempting to blow this thread back on course, I've had to deal with a meniscal tear which was removed surgically and lately, 'mild to moderate' (scan diagnosed) arthritis in both knees.
I've been a regular and I like to think dedicated, gym user for over 25 years. As the knees started to creak and the quads began to squeal, I developed a leg programme which begins in the first week of Sept. every year. I train 3/4 times a week with an alternate split routine, but hit the legs at the beginning of every session from Sept to returning from the last ski trip of the season. Learning to carve 15 or so years ago loaded the quads compared to upright sliding. Being 3 trip per year skier, the luxury of skiing one's legs into shape never happens.
I ski mostly with 3/4 pals of a similar age. They all train in advance, it's all pretty quick and competitive and we love it that way. I feel that without the training my ski trips would be significantly undermined and skiing gives my gym work a focus and purpose.
OP, is that rambling guff of any use to you? wink I'm 58 BTW.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 15-09-23 13:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@Mollerski,
Quote:

I beg to differ.
Me too, at what point does age interfere with our ability to adapt and learn?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
biddpyat wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@Mollerski,
Quote:

I beg to differ.

That depends on whether it's a board game or a demanding physical sport? Unless you can defy nature, the progression curve will definitely flatten off and sadly begin to head in the wrong direction at some point.
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
biddpyat wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@Mollerski,
Quote:

I beg to differ.

That depends on whether it's a board game or a demanding physical sport? Unless you can defy nature, the progression curve will definitely flatten off and sadly begin to head in the wrong direction at some point.
Sure, but the fallacy of your generalisation is that many of the older people who still ski haven't yet reached the apex of that curve. Also, the curve (on the way up) isn't the same for everyone. For instance, I was a late starter and didn't have many lessons in my early years of skiing. I started taking lessons relatively recently, continue to do so and ski a lot more than I used to (not uncommon for people in retirement) which is why I can still see some improvement in my technique.
ski holidays
iskipow wrote:
I'm trying to understand skier's pain points for a report - what are some problems that you face while skiing (both if you're a local or on ski holidays) and what do you do to solve these? Please feel free to rant all you want! This will really help me Smile Smile

People posting in the wrong section of the forum!!
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
iskipow wrote:

People posting in the wrong section of the forum!!
good point, well argued
snow report
@Hurtle,

My comment....."some older skiers whom are putting everything into maintaining their ski levels and not deteriorating. Learning/improving is no longer an option for them."

Emphasis on the word 'some'. Hopefully that's neither you or me, but those whom are nearer the apex or beyond. Not so generalised i feel. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
For me - the question is - to what extent can improved technique help overcome the effects of aging.....Which is a different question to the potential ability one has when younger. That potential is drastically underused if the skill level isn't what it could have been.

Then there is modern kit. Luckily, as I have aged, the skis have made life easier - whether that is carving skis On Piste, or wider skis, with design features that make skiing Off Piste easier.
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
@Hurtle,

My comment....."some older skiers whom are putting everything into maintaining their ski levels and not deteriorating. Learning/improving is no longer an option for them."

Emphasis on the word 'some'. Hopefully that's neither you or me, but those whom are nearer the apex or beyond. Not so generalised i feel. Madeye-Smiley

Still wrong. Technique can still improve as assorted physical capabilities deteriorate; indeed, for many people such a deterioration is when they begin to realize how much more scope there is for technical improvement (not to mention how necessary it is).
ski holidays
@JayRo, I am not wrong, anymore more than you are right. It is my opinion to which I'm entitled. There is no wrong or right. You are as equally entitled to your opinion, which I will respect.

You're manipulating what I've said in order to win something that you clearly have a need for. Sorry, I'm not interested in that game. Cool

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 15-09-23 14:20; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
@Hurtle,

sorry, I confess to having missed the important word "some" in my excitement. Mea culpa.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, No prob at all. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:

Then there is modern kit. Luckily, as I have aged, the skis have made life easier - whether that is carving skis On Piste, or wider skis, with design features that make skiing Off Piste easier.

Hallelujah to that! Imagine having to ski pow on stiff, straight 80’s straight skis Shocked
ski holidays
JayRo wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
@Hurtle,

Still wrong. Technique can still improve as assorted physical capabilities deteriorate; indeed, for many people such a deterioration is when they begin to realize how much more scope there is for technical improvement (not to mention how necessary it is).

Quite so. IMO.

Remember though, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But just because they have one doesn't mean they can't still be wrong.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy