Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton Heli Drops

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, my ageing group are off to St Anton next season and have asked me to look at the logistics of a heli day.

It looks like there are only two peaks you can use and as there are 8 of us punters, it means we'd need a guide and a tail gunner. As you can only seat 4 in a heli, it also means three of them to get us up there which increases price per head.

So I was wondering if anyone on here had enjoyed a day out in the whirly birds in St Anton and whether it had much to gain over a normal day's guiding/softy touring?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you've changed Wink bang the skins on, nothing that huge you can't walk up surely???
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Laughing I'm keen to just go walking, but some of the lazy beggars want a lift!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mosha Marc, No heli skiing in St Anton only Lech and that is apparently on the way out too (though that particular rumour is spread by Stanton so if its true....) details https://www.lechzuers.com/en/winter/winter-sports/heliskiing. If you can afford a heli trip the cost of a taxi from St Anton will be small change.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@munich_irish, apologies, I knew that but lazily regard anything you can ski to on piste from St Anton as being part of it - including Warth.

Most of this trips include minibus transfer, I'm not daft enough to pay for a taxi wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mosha Marc, dont say that, you will upset a certain Dutch contributor who is very protective of all things Lech, it is only the drunken rabble who ski in St Anton Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where are the mountains you can Heli-ski on near St Anton? Presumably not the ones with lifts on them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowball, Mehlsack..... I don't get it myself but each to their own.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They drop on Mehlsack and/or Schneetäli

Neither are within the ski area as such.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, I looked on the map.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Hi, my ageing group are off to St Anton next season and have asked me to look at the logistics of a heli day.

It looks like there are only two peaks you can use and as there are 8 of us punters, it means we'd need a guide and a tail gunner. As you can only seat 4 in a heli, it also means three of them to get us up there which increases price per head.

So I was wondering if anyone on here had enjoyed a day out in the whirly birds in St Anton and whether it had much to gain over a normal day's guiding/softy touring?

Cheers

In V it’s 4 guests plus guide + pilot. So assume you’d need 2 guides but only 2 heli drops. No idea for St Anton but for Petit Combin for example it’s a great experience (heli experience/views/glacier skiing etc) if you get good conditions. Much more of a buzz than a ski tour
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is so much off-piste at St Anton a guide can show you, either from the lifts or with a small walk, I am doubtful I would bother with the heli. But perhaps in an extreme snow situation or if very jaded...

Mind you, if you have never done it, the heli in the mountains is a buzz by itself.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
or as a buzzier substitute for a tour, as @BobinCH says. But then, I'm not keen on touring anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lech Zürs is the only place left in Austria that offers Heli Skiing ..

Hopefully that will be gone soon... Very Happy Very Happy

If you been Heli Skiing in Canada, US, Himachal etc it really is very limted

There are only Two possible drop off zones

"Mehlsack"

For experienced Off Piste skiers

"Schneetäli-Orgelscharte"

For intermediate off Pister Skiers

Due to the limited drop off points & frequent flights it gets tracked out real quick...

Customers are not just from the Arlberg resorts they come in from allover like Ischgl....

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

The normal Five Year Permit was turned down on last application..

As it stands this 23/24 season will be the LAST !!!

"""The aviation permit for the operation of heliski flights will be granted by decision until the end of May 2024 – and not for five winter seasons as per the application. The last permit, which was granted in November 2016, expired at the end of May 2021"""

https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000132684817/heliskiing-in-vorarlberg-trotz-scharfer-kritik-von-umweltorganisationen-weiter-moeglich

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Earn Your Turns Very Happy Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/0oNU811p4mk

http://youtube.com/v/-Nh6bQXG6Cs

http://youtube.com/v/xyKgmFS41Cw
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Mosha - I understand a lot of the posts here - Heliskiing in Lech-Zürs is only worth it if you have great conditions and you can get an early time slot. it is only one run down (from 2 different summits) but it is a long run and will take you most of morning. You then traverse out to Zug and most likely end up in Balmalp for lunch with one of the most spectacular views:) I have done it once and really enjoyed it also for the short heli up and the Tom Cruise style pilot!. Piste to Powder, mountain guides in St Anton offer Heli ski and have experienced UIAGM mountain guides, they will give you a full day Off Piste starting with the Heli and with more Off Piste runs on the way and after! . They will need to check your level as you need to be a good Off Piste skier - intermediate or advanced, so you can book a half day before or join one of the groups which is more affordable if there are just a few of you. If you are more than 3 you need 2 helicopters - most guides will have a max guide ratio of 1:7 or 1:6. The heli costs around €600 for the 1 drop, you can reserve in advance and confirm on the day. hope that helps - but yes unless perfect conditions then opt for ski touring or freeriding instead! Zoe
snow report
Thank you
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy