Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ruptured ACL, one year on

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Minimum is £7.5k up to approx £14k depending on what they find.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
homers double wrote:
Minimum is £7.5k up to approx £14k depending on what they find.

Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NickyJ wrote:
@homers double, might be worth finding out what it would cost to self fund the repair.

I've heard of a few people who've queue jumped in the UK by paying for the initial consultation with the surgeon (usually around 100 quid), the surgeon then scheduled them directly for surgery.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@homers double, did you get any steer on whether you could think of skiing next season without a repair?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@homers double, I feel for you, you are in exactly the same place I was this time last year. It's a bummer, you've got a Summer of activity lined up after the depressing Winter months, and now you can't do any of it. It's not quite that bad - temper your expectations, and you will find that gradually you can do stuff, just not to the level you are used to.

If you are going for a reconstruction but are on an NHS waiting list, do the physio as if you weren't going to have the op in the meantime, then you'll be able to get back to doing some stuff, and quite posibly skiing next Winter. You might even find that you don't need the op in the end. I was told the waiting list was long, so decided to go down the rehab route while I was waiting and see whether I could ski on it, and I could. Admittedly if I had decided that it wasn't good enough, I would probably then have had the op privately.

Quote:

I've heard of a few people who've queue jumped in the UK by paying for the initial consultation with the surgeon (usually around 100 quid), the surgeon then scheduled them directly for surgery

I did that to get a second opinion, £150 I think, but there was no question of it potentially leading to jumping the NHS waiting list
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

If you are going for a reconstruction but are on an NHS waiting list, do the physio as if you weren't going to have the op in the meantime,

Absolutely totally this. Short term gain (with a bit of pain) for long term gains. None of it will be wasted.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've spoken to an alternative hospital and had a sort of off the books consultation, the result being that its a typical injury and nothing to support a priority admission and their list is approx 6 months from consultation which is typical of the NHS currently.
Added to that a new GP referral and 6 weeks to a first outpatients appointment I'm better off staying where I am.

@under a new name, no mention of skiing but advised to avoid impact so no running. At this stage I've written off the ski season but if things improve a holiday can be booked at the very last minute.

@karin, I'm doing as much exercise as I can. Gym, walking, relatively easy cycling at the moment and swimming which is A/ going to help with the surrounding muscles and B/ stop me getting fat(ter).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@homers double, That was one of the things that worried me - getting fat and unfit because I was sitting around not doing much!
Have you actually been told that you should have it reconstructed, or have you been given the choice and decided to go for reconstruction? Just curious, because I wasn't advised either way, I was just given the options and the pros and cons, and left to make my own decision.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
karin wrote:

I did that to get a second opinion, £150 I think, but there was no question of it potentially leading to jumping the NHS waiting list

Ok. In my mum's case for example (ankle surgery) there was a long waiting list just to see a consultant for a consultation about the needed surgery. She paid to see the consultant privately and he then scheduled her for surgery directly but it maybe depends on health area. They are currently trying to get her in for an ankle replacement but she says she's too old and will never see the benefit. (South London NHS).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
karin wrote:
@homers double, That was one of the things that worried me - getting fat and unfit because I was sitting around not doing much!
Have you actually been told that you should have it reconstructed, or have you been given the choice and decided to go for reconstruction? Just curious, because I wasn't advised either way, I was just given the options and the pros and cons, and left to make my own decision.

I was told that as the ACL was fully ruptured it would need to be reconstructed if I wanted to get back to my usual level of activity (Ironman was on the cards for July this year... rolling eyes )

They have put me down for an arthroscopy and will repair it if possible whilst in there and if not, remove part of the patella to reconstruct/replace the ACL.

I guess in my own mind I've decided the full reconstruction is the way forward.

As for the exercise part I had a couple of hours on the bike last night. Local loop at least 30 minutes slower than my PB but 21 minutes faster than my last attempt.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@homers double, I guess your normal level of activity is way in excess of mine, and you may be considerably younger too! I was essentially told by the consultant that if I was younger they'd probably have recommended reconstruction, and if I had been sedentary and/or older, they would have said just go for rehab, but being mid/late 50's and reasonably active, it was up to me.

A friend who I quizzed when I was trying to decide what to do last year had a total rupture when in his late 30's. He did his physio very religiously, and when he turned up at the hospital with his overnight bag for the reconstruction, they assessed him and said that he was unlikely to be able to do anything more after the op than he could already, so he didn't have the op. He's now late 40's, he plays hockey every weekend and regularly goes off on the sort of skiing escapades that occasionally involve ropes and crampons. He says the only thing he isn't comfortable doing is road running, which he doesn't really do anyway.

Every case is different though...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy