Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire - when do you book?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Interested to know how far in advance other SHs book their car hire for ski holidays? A year in advance seems too early, but when would you do it? Thinking about 2024 and the current prices are car hire being crazy, I'd value other insights. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This year there was absolutely NO argument for booking early - prices have come down from the completely crazy prices of a few months ago, though they are still high by historical standards. However, it's very easy to book with the ability to cancel right up to the last moment, so it really doesn't matter!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, thanks. We haven't been this year so haven't really been looking, but we are visiting Marseille in the summer and prices are bonkers compared to previous years. And yes, fair point about cancelling.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And don't book your rental car until you've first checked (a) all the other elements of your target destination, especially the cost of accommodation, equipment rental, instruction, etc. and (b) have at least one destination on your list that's reachable by public transport. The worst thing you can do is to buy flights or accommodation first, only to find that car rental costs are an issue and you're now locked-in to that airport or destination.

This year, we switched to public transport for both trips out to the Swiss 4 Vallées (December and February). An advance Saver Day Pass on Swiss SBB cost us CHF 53 (£47) adult each way per person and got us rail, télépherique and PostBus travel anywhere in CH on the day of travel, at any time. For two of us, that was massively cheaper than car rental from GVA. But that's not an option if you choose a resort that's inaccessible by public transport.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anything that can be cancelled for free, then you book as early as you can.
Then you play the game of finding it cheaper. Book the cheaper option & cancelling the other booking.
Wash & repeat.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Book cancellable rentals early, and at all locations you might want to go. Plenty to be had at at aggregators and these days direct as well. Some will require payment now some won’t.

Locks in a price and a vehicle that suits. Then decide where you want to go. Release all the rentals now not needed and arbitrage where you do want to go by occasionally checking pricing, keeping the deal you have or cancelling and rebooking as better deals may come up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All good advice but on balance has anyone found a "sweet" spot for booking, or are there just too many variables every year?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No and yes. The feedback from our rental agents, who manage over a hundred properties in Chamonix and the 4 Vallées is that generally, most clients are booking much closer to the date of travel than they used to. Currently, the agency is offering 20% discounts to anyone booking last minute, which underlines the trend.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@LaForet, good to know. Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I try to fly into Milan now, just booked a car for Gressoney on 4/3/23 and it was 80 euros for a week. It would have been 4 times that at Geneva
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nevis1003 wrote:
I try to fly into Milan now, just booked a car for Gressoney on 4/3/23 and it was 80 euros for a week. It would have been 4 times that at Geneva

They will get the 4x amount when you take it back in fake damage reports Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gored wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:

They will get the 4x amount when you take it back in fake damage reports Laughing

Ha!

I skipped the extra insurance on my last rental in Italy. One day (one day!) prior to the end of the trip I caught a rock to the windscreen. We negotiated back and forth until they offered a reasonable price. More than doubled my rental car price. In all, they were fairly decent about it (Sixt).

Flying into Milan m'self in a couple of weeks...(ponied up for a bit of extra coverage this time). Still cheaper than renting at MUC (we're driving to the Dolomites).

Concur with folks above...book early and cancel if/when you find a cheaper option. I like to book 2-3 months out if possible, mostly 'cause I'm picky and want a certain kind of car (4 door, station wagon, etc).

Good times.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy