Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Donjoy OA Offloader 3 or Nano

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have osteoarthritis affecting the medial compartment if my right knee. I am considering an offloader/unloader brace to make activities including skiing more comfortable.
Does anyone have experience with the specific offloader braces, either Offloader 3 or the Nano from Donjoy when skiing as I am concerned about compatibility with a ski boot?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have tried a Nano OA, and even with my short legs there's just room between my boots and liners (which are also high).
Nice and very lightweight brace, very easy to adjust the offload (as long as you don't lose the Allen key!), though still quite a 'Robocop' feel, and the straps make it feel quite bulky. But certainly gives a solid feel with adjustable jointline pad pressure.
Donjoy also do a Climaflex OA unloader brace, which is cheaper (a bit) and a wraparound type rather than a frame, just one side strut I believe. Also the web-type Reaction OA which you just bend to shape the offload pressure which you need; cheapest of their offerings.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get it fitted correctly, then i don't think it matters which model.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonathan Bell, But do they actually work to relieve stress through the joint?

I've been using a Ski Mojo for a few years now, but my (current) knee problem is on the medial side of the joint, with little medial meniscus left and cartilage badly damaged, hence osteoarthritis etc. and the Mojo sits on the lateral side so isn't specifically helpful in this regard.

Not asking for a diagnosis, you understand, just wondering whether one of these new donjoys would be good post surgery and in the long term. The old ones really didn't do anything except provide a little more stability through the recovery period and I'm curious if these are actually significantly different.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies.
I’ve put up with discomfort for a few decades but it’s got worse in the last couple of years and having had a bad flare up that meant I actually had to go and get it assessed and diagnosed. It was really painful after a weeks skiing this year on hard snow, which is why I’m now looking at some non surgical relief.
Taking in to account the OA is partly due to having ruptured my ACL (not reconstructed as it wasn’t a thing back when I did it) and having a comminuted fracture of my tibial head back in the very early 90s, I decide to go with a Donjoy FullForce brace rather than an unloader. The aim being support and alignment. Followed the sizing guide and with a bit of tweaking it’s comfortable but the amazing thing was the immediate relief of the OA pain when wearing it. I can walk up and down stairs normally!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Chaletbeauroc,
Unloader braces do work but not for everyone. The more angulated the leg the less they are likely to work. So they are best suited to patients who have not got very advanced wear. I think they also work well for walking, golf but the higher the impact the less they are likely to work
Jonathan Bell
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonathan Bell, Thanks, I think.

Trying to understand the level of active support they give, i.e. the amount of reduction, if any, of the forces going up and down through the medial node. The description _implies_ that they do this, but is very short on details, whereas previous knee braces we've had really only give protection against unwanted lateral or rotational movement to avoid damage dues to instability.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interested as I’ve just got an ossur unloaded brace for lateral compartment OA. I’m naturally have knock knees (plus a bit more for the bad knee) so I’m wondering if it will work? Also seems too long to fit with ski boot. My knee has been swelling skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Chaletbeauroc,

Sorry if not clear. If we assume that the painful compartment is , at least in part, due to overload then the brace can diminish that by taking some of the load. However i think the amount that the brace can absorb is relatively limited- so advanced disease where the “bandy” angle is larger the brace will struggle.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@stevieb,
I have a donjoy defiance offloader due to a torn meniscus.
I use it for skiing and it fits fine with the boot. I have the short calf version for this reason (and also becomes I'm not that tall!)
The biggest issue is that it doesnt fit under my normal ski pants so I had to revert to some older baggier ones!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy