Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings on or off for travel.

Poster: A snowHead
I've always taken my bindings off when I travel. My old boardbag would barely zip up with the bindings on, and I always felt that the overhanging parts of the binding could be damaged by the baggage throwers. New boardbag has a bit more room, so a chance of a small amount of padding if I leave the bindings on.

What do you folks do?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Normally strip the bindings as you can then pack stuff around them better and won't overhang on the heelside. When travelling by air I'd normally put a couple of lengths of pipe lag around the edge of the board just to protect the board edge and to stop it cutting into the bag lining too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bindings off - I have XL bindings and I'm not sure I'd get the zip closed otherwise!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've only flown once but bindings off for me if flying. I'm less worried about damaging the bindings than the potential shock to the board and mounts plus I also think taking them off makes packing more flexible. When folded they make nice little nooks for more delicate things, or socks and gloves etc. I do risk putting my helmet in the bag though which obviously creates a massive bulge and impossible to protect either it or the board from impact so Puzzled .

I liked the pipe lag idea but I thought it would take too much room. I kept the cardboard inner, poly bag and bubble wrap the board came in, mainly to protect my belongings and bag from the edges. if it survived in the post it will surely be fine in the bag.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always, always leave mine on (medium, no overhang). Boots laid between the bindings fit perfectly, clothes above front foot (nose end), helmet and avy gear behind the back foot (to the tail). Ski trousers over the whole lot. Nice and flat. So far... 20-plus flights and all ok. But you never know, I suppose... Dakine low-roller recommended.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@silentice, I would not recommend putting helmet in bag. I’ve had one destroyed in transit when the bag was either dropped, thrown or at the bottom of a pile. Boards and skis are quite tough and don’t think they need to be over protected beyond what is offered by a good bag. Removing snowboard bindings to protect the mounts is a good precaution to take.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never take them off. I wouldn't know what to do. I wrap long johns around them, but the tube and/or the padded bag can close without issue if things are positioned right.

Boots and helmet go in carry-on. ESPECIALLY BOOTS!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bindings on, foam pipe lagging around the board's edges and the binding heel cup, secured with electrical tape. Pack with spare trousers, spare gloves, impact shorts etc. Flown a dozen times like that, so far, so good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Always leave them on. Don't have much of an overhand and they fit nicely in the Dakine roller bag.

Boots packed at bottom and the middle.

Small items stuffed inside the boots and inside the bindings like socks, pants, glove inners etc. Also good if there is anything slightly breakable to put inside the binding.

Clothes and other equipment rolled and stuffed everywhere else.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's roughly a 50/50 split. I guess if I'm to take the advice I should take one off, leave one on.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just put elastics around the brakes (like when tuning them) to keep them out of the way. I fit 3 pairs in our bag, one ski (longest) each side facing out with the brakes pulled up in elastics, then the 2 smaller pairs clicked together in the middle, then stuff with clothing. Alternatively if I'm travelling alone with 1 pair, 1 ski each side facing out, boots, poles and clothes in the middle, helmet in the carry on. As for edges, I leave the wax on, or if they're very sharp use old jean legs around them. I'd take a photo but don't have the bag and skis here Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
These are your friend
https://www.theskierslounge.co.uk/tools-waxes/waxing-tools/toko-ski-brake-retainers-1-pair-in-natural-rubber-colour__1877?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=5549863-PR&awc=21423_1673701093_b6924bc85585c4c8020d3a1dee471681
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowboards don't have "brakes".
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
phil_w wrote:
snowboards don't have "brakes".

Agreed.

Always take off your bindings. Pack the bag tghtly but not overtight. Helmet and boots can go in too, just wrap the helm. Don't put the bindings perpendicular to the board = no overhang.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I leave them on, fold them flat and do up the straps on top ... normally there is something packed away under the high back that needs a bit of protection but really it's just to avoid the faff of taking them off
snow conditions
My old Burton C60s. Size medium.
This happened in transit en route to Saalbach a couple of years ago.
I always left my bindings on my board, highbacks down under the done up straps as per rayscoops.

latest report
I guess to round this one out, thanks for all the input. They're staying off (especially after the lastt photo). All packed in in the van............. Leaving 4am tomorrow, 30 odd hours door to door and some sweet Jappow as a reward.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy