Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women's skis - recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
My girlfriend needs some new skis. She's been using rubbish Rossignol cheapos for 3 years and it's time to upgrade.

She's a pretty good piste skier - any slope, any conditions - and wants to do more off-piste and moguls (both of which she's quite good at already). She puts in quite a bit of effort so skis that need to be pushed hard won't be a problem. She's not interested in going hell for leather so speed isn't an issue.

Any recommendations on makes/models? I don't suppose she'll care if she doesn't have the new season's gear so anything from the last couple of years will be fine.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If she isn't bothered about testing, get her onto ebay and bid at something with about 80mm underfoot.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the k2 womens specific skis get great write ups, However you may struggle to find some of em as they are pretty popular. try http://www.k2women.com
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Head women's skis are also worth a look
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do anyone have an opinion/experience of whether women's specific skis are essential/desirable? Once you get to the upper intermediate/advanced level (which is what she'll need) are you better off with the men's skis or is it here that having something slightly lighter makes more of a difference?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll tell you once I get on my Fast Thangs next winter! Sadly they arrived just after our last day of the season Sad I have the unisex iM72s so it should be an interesting comparison. Certainly the difference in weight will make a huge difference to stamina on the slopes I would think.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't be confused into thinking that womens skis are more wimpym than mens this is not the case, Head and K2 do womens specific skis right up to the expert level.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ben wright, Sharon has got herself some trueluvs for this year and has said she wished she'd got them earlier, since they are lighter and respond well on piste, though not great off piste
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ben wright, I bought my first pair of skis this season and am really pleased with them. From your description, I would say your girlfriend and I are about the same level. I went for K2 One Luvs having hired them for a week previously, and took them out to VT for the first time this April. IMO they are great both on piste and off, in powder and on groomed pistes. They are very stable at speed, go where you want them to go, and are good in crud, slush, etc.

However, they are heavier than many women's skis. I like that about them because it adds to the feeling of stability at speed, but swapped with a friend for a day and she found them too heavy and didn't think they were as 'zippy' as the Volkl Attivas she was using. I found the Attivas too light, 'squirrely' and less stable, although we both ski at about the same speed. So partly I think it does come down to personal preference.

I used to hire Rossignol Saphir 300s but found they got too 'noodley' and flappy at speed.

I tried Dynastar Skicross (old style, now Contacts) and really liked them. They are a unisex ski and were so much more stable and faster than the Saphirs ~ Dynastar skis do seem to be generally well-liked by people and their women specific skis very well thought of.

The ski above One Luvs in the K2 range are Burning Luvs which are basically the same dimensions, turning radius, etc, but are stiffer. I think they are probably better if you want to go v fast on piste, but will be less forgiving in soft stuff and off piste.

The only thing about One Luvs is that they are black with pink flowers on them - definitely on the girly end of graphics. 80s retro meets Barbie or something. I quite like them, but I know others who are put off them because of that.

Hope some of this helps and she finds something she likes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Head iM82 or Head Wild Thang (low swing weight)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ben wright, I had a few discussion about choosing some all-round skis for skiing Whistler last season.

I ended up buying some Rossignol B3s after my friends and I demoed them. We all loved them (males and females alike). We all like skiing in the powder but the skis are thin enough not to be too cumbersome on-piste.

However, they not for racing on. I may have bought different skis if I spent all my time on-piste (i.e. skiing on the motorway pistes of France for example).

I recommend your girlfriend demoing some new skis from a shop before buying them - we all have different tastes. Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ben wright wrote:
Do anyone have an opinion/experience of whether women's specific skis are essential/desirable? Once you get to the upper intermediate/advanced level (which is what she'll need) are you better off with the men's skis or is it here that having something slightly lighter makes more of a difference?

I was all ready to try out women's skis, thinking the men's might be too stiff, but the men's Rossi B3s were fine. They do however have women's equivalents in their B range if your gf finds them a bit unmanageable.

In contrast I found the men's Salomon Scream Extra Hots and men's Atomic Metron 8's a bit too heavy and stiff for me.

I am probably the same skiing level as your gf by the sounds of it by the way.

rob_and_sharon recommend another good range of skis. You can get the K2 luv range in lots of widths depending on where you prefer to ski (on/off piste).

In conclusion, the B3 is a great ski for Whistler but would probably suck in Val D'Isere where I'd be buying a heavy on-piste ski.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ben wright, Mrs Ski likes K2 (her's are the Phat ones) .... the best bet is to have her test some.... wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ben wright, Big differences in ladies skis. See thread" girls girls girls". Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ben wright, It's a bit difficult for me, but the women's skis I've tested have been much too soft on the whole and just collapsed when I pressure them. Now I don't think I put a lot of pressure on a ski but I suppose I must do more than most. OTOH my Zag le Rouge are suposed to be for light men and women, but they are quite a technical ski - I love them, but the build quality is a bit dodgy. It's a pain carrying heavy skis - but once they're on your feet you don't notice it.

I have to echo everyone else though and say test - test - test.

Why don't you pop along to the PSB? Lots of skis to test there - ladies included!
ski holidays
ben wright wrote:

Women's specific skis are different from men's in that they're designed for the different position of the female's centre of mass which is usually lower & further forward than that of men. This usually means that the bindings are also mounted further forward which in itself will have a major impact on how the ski feels.

As Edmund says, there are female specific skis for all ability levels. The Volkl Attiva's & K2 Luv's seem to leading the filed however testing is the key. At last year's snowHeads/EB test Deb tried most of the K2 Luv range & couldn't undertand the hype. She finally jumped on the Burnin' Luv's & thought they were superb. Boy was that an expensive day out rolling eyes.
latest report
My sister (6 week experience or so) been on 7 pairs of skis last winter. Including a couple of womens skis. Some very new almost not released rossignol too (very cute with leather) womens which was said to be stiff for a womens she found a bit soft.
She is a pretty sporty girl, which probably influences her preference.

She bought Atomic SL-11m 155cm, but doubted for the Volkl Supersport Allstar (Which I prefer and bought) and not any of the 3 4 ladies skis she skiied.

Both these skis have pretty good response when pushed, but they don't hit you in the face when you don't... For me and her at least...

Now it is useless re recommend either of these skis for the GF... Go to a nice mountain with the GF, pick and a good rental shop that will help her find her ski... like they did for my sister in the Intersport on top of the Mannlichen (Wengen/Grindelwald)
ski holidays
It's quite interesting reading everyone's stories about which skis are good. However, none of you apart from skibod actually mention which type of terrain the skis you are recommending at good to ski on.

I think where you want to ski is very important when choosing what ski to buy.

90% of my own skiing is in bowls and through trees i.e off-piste. I have been down a race course (Upper Dave Murray@Whistler) several times on my Rossi B3s and they aren't very good for that. However, I bought them to jump around in the powder in (i.e. not too heavy and a bit fat). Mind you, my friends on the same skis all ski much fast than me down the race course, so perhaps I'm just slow.... wink

So everyone, what terrain do all you girls/girlfiends of snowHead s ski on on the skis you recommend?
snow report
Snowy, Sharon has used her's in Andorra on piste and found them (Truluvs) far better than she expected, being lighter and easier than the previous hire ones.
She's also used them in Whistler this year and again found them very responsive on the piste and not too bad on fresh powder, though they aren't great off piste (going by the litttle we did)
hope this helps Rob
snow conditions
I should have elaborated in my original post, the skis are likely to be used about 70% on-piste and 30% off/moguls.

We spend the winter in the French Alps in a small resort so testing a vast range might be a bit of a problem - the shops tend to stick to 2 or 3 brands.

We don't live anywhere near a snowdome so can't test there either!
snow conditions
Quote:

However, none of you apart from skibod actually mention which type of terrain the skis you are recommending at good to ski on.

Thats because the original poster specified the terrain in the first post.
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:
Thats because the original poster specified the terrain in the first post.

D'oh! Blush
ski holidays
Quote:
..........female's centre of mass which is usually lower & further forward than that of men.

You mean the other way round, don't you (CoM further back). Madeye-Smiley

Among the characteristics that distinguish a Womens ski from a Mens ski:

1. Pretty Graphics (looks nice)

2. Softer/different flex pattern, by changing materials in the makeup of the ski (easier to bend esp for lightweight folk, if you've got thighs like Anja P then this won't be any good for you)

3. Lighter construction, again by changing materials (lighter to carry, won't feel as heavy dangling from a chair lift, good for when you're in the air, different swing weight in the steeps doing jump turns etc.)

4. Shorter lengths available (you can find the correct length)

5. Forward mounting position, although you can achieve this on most skis anyway, to accommodate CoM being lower and further back than a males, wider pelvis, (helps to stay centred, in the sweet spot, and eases turn initiation)

The same goes for womens specific boots, it's not all marketing and pretty colours. There are anotomical differences.
snow conditions
veeeight, Which womens boots are specific to women? wink
ski holidays
Lol I knew that would get your attention Neh Neh
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
veeeight, Which womens boots are specific to women? wink

the expensive ones of course Cool snowHead wink
snow report
veeeight, Yep, my size 9's or 10's if you speak faux english will crush all rash comments in the shake of a lambs tail. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
veeeight, I absolutely agree that you can mount the bindings further forward on most skis and achieve the same result re: COM. Boots - yep - lower cuffs to allow for wider and lower calf muscles. Very sensible move, but annoying that you now can't buy boots in women's sizes with the higher cuffs for those of us without low and large muscle!

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, Shells, the bit that does the work, no. Liners, the bit most people seem to change, yes. The only lady only shell that exists is the Head Some-Thang. To be made to in mens sizes 2007/8. Little Angel
latest report
Head Dream Thang 8, 9, 10 (2006/07)

MP 22.0, 23.0, 23.5 - 27.5
So one extra size to the mens.

Very Happy
snow report
veeeight, Any idea what makes the boot a ladies fit? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Apart from the fur collar? Little Angel

It's a new last (WP) - seperate from their existing N100, M103, C104 etc. lasts.

Haven't got any more information on the shell differences, but no doubt all the usual other stuff like bootboard etc. will be there.
snow conditions
veeeight, The WP is a modified C104 last that measures 100mm at forefoot in size 26. Poor quality Polypropolyne and usless liner. wink
latest report
Laughing

I think that before you dishearten all the ladies on this forum you should tell them about the changes that the other manufacturers make for the liners, cuffs ankles etc.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I have been told (maybe it wasn't the truth) that ladies boots are definitely shorter in the cuff, and a bit wider to cater for the calf muscle. I don't have this prob and like a high boot - my new(old) Raichle/Kneissles are fine, but it's clear that the Kneissl Flexon Pro is not as tall as the old Raichle Flexon Comp, cos I've changed the outer tongues!!!! I don't think this is anything to do with women's boots though! rolling eyes
latest report
easiski, you know you want 'em:
snow conditions
Mr Smallzookeeper, aren't all new shells just 'modifications' of existing offerings?

Shouldn't it be seen as a good thing that Head are making the effort and creating a foot to the shell that is actually geared towards the supposed average women's foot? As opposed to just tweaking a liner and changing the cuff.

Aren't Lange making a specific women's boot?

Why do you dislike women's boots, or is it just the marketing?

Soooo many questions...
ski holidays
easiski, You've been told correctly along the right lines.

Many manufacturers make modifications with the bootboard, ramp angle, the cuff height, cuff shape, rear spopiler, ankle width, liner tongue, and liner to make their boots closer to a (general) woman's foot.

I think what SZK's beef is that all good bootfitters can make those modifications themselves - what he would like to see is a *real* difference in the shell last.

For me - it's still all about matching the boot closest to the foot, and if I have to do less modification work because a manufacturers womens offering is closer, then it's a good thing. But that's not to say that I wouldn't fit a male boot to a women, in the right circumstances.

As an instructor - I've seen many many women in male boots that are just wrong for them, and even if they ended up buying a "womens specific boot" with a poor bootfitter service, I reckon I could have got them skiing much much better.
ski holidays
veeeight, That last post sums things up. For me the main problem is that women see it that their feet are a different shape to mens.
In my opinion this isn't true. I like you work with plastic proximity and in this case women may leave the shop with mens boots and men with womens. All i'd like men and women to do is not to search for gender specific ski boots, let you bootfitter earn his money and do it for you. As long as plastics are as expensive as they are and moulds cost an arm and a leg, gender specific shells will not exist, it's simply too expensive, besides the average male foot wouldn't be too far from the average female foot so why cry? Little Angel
snow conditions
Does the gender thing sometimes stop people buying an otherwise good product?
I can well imagine a slightly built man not wanting to buy 'girls skis' for example, likewise a woman not wanting to have a woman specific version of a ski 'because it's a tamer version'.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy