Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portable rope tows

Poster: A snowHead
A Canadian version is being marketed as one of the speediest around - up to 30 kph! That's positively rocket-like compared to the ones I've tried. Variable speed, but even so the jump from idle speed to lift speed might put some strain on arm and shoulder joints and muscles.

Anyone ever used anything similar? The ones I've used have dawdled along in comparison. At $950 doesn't sound a bad investment for someone in the hills in the UK, either...

Short article here.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG,

At that price I'd buy one for the farm!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are they available and if so what's the site. I read about this tow last autumn but still wasn't in commercial production. Any info appreciated. Is that $950 US or canadian $, and wonder what it would cost in shipping!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
US dollars. The only rather amateurish website I could find is here. I'd emailed for more info but nothing back as yet.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This sounds like a version of the Britonlift portable tow which was all the rage in the 1980s with ski clubs.

I think our club still have a couple of similar engines lying around someones garage.

They are quite effective and I seem to remember them providing runs up to 200m. Unfortunately these days no one seems prepared to put the effort into carrying them around and setting them up.

Johnboy, We used to use Lister diesels which were good for 400m of tow, 20+ skiers and 50m of vertical. I'm sure you could also simply remove your tractor wheel, loop a rope around a tyreless rim, fashion some kind of safety cut out, mount a return wheel on a bipod and a use awinch to take up the stretch. Then use a seat belt around your waist attached to a piece of wood or round bar with a notch in it slightly wider than the guage of the rope. Little Angel

At one time in the early 1980s there were at least 12 such semi permanent tows operating in the North Pennines and Lake District and numerous portables Sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter S, does the weardale ski club still exist?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter S, The Lecht used them too for at least the first year of operation.

Other clubs had arrangements with farmers in North Wales.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S,

I take it UK skiing was pretty big in the 1980s? What happened? I suppose it has got relatively cheaper to ski in France etc
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnboy, and the frequency of accessible snow seems to be a lot less common!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We sold ours a few years ago, after we only got the chance to use them once in about 10 years. Those with longer memories than me reckon that they used to be able to use them (in the Midlands, so not especially high altitude) at least once most winters.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a kid I remember somebody rigging something similar up on Box Hill in Surrey...I used to hike up several hills in the area with my skis.

It's been a long time since we had enough snow to do that.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The first ski lift I ever used was like that. It had a hinged wire clip that you flicked over the rope, then clung on to. If you didn't fall over immediately, you were then supposed to feed the clip and rope over the pulleys - or you were personally hated by those behind.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter S wrote:

I think our club still have a couple of similar engines lying around someones garage.

ISTR the Carlisle club bought two portable tows off our club only three years ago. Unfortunately we are (relatively) 'darn sarth' so get even less snow than the Pennines. Hope they've been useful!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got an email back from them, the rope tow ships with a 150m rope, but they can go longer though the don't recommend it because the design is to take one skier up at a time at a high speed, so longer the rope, way lower the capacity. The estimate the cost would be about $250 for shipping to the UK if you were prepared to pick it up from a port. Probably $400 for door to door shipping.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Winterhighland, yes pretty much sums up the reply I received. I did wonder at the fuel consumption of the generator running a group up constantly at speed, forgot to ask about that.
snow report
From my limited experience of these with the White Star Ski Club in Leeds the ones they had could pull 2 or 3 people at a go, was this common for a lower speed variety? Incidentally my company supplies Briton Engineering with fittings for sprinkler systems for lubricating dry slopes with!
ski holidays
150m rope is rather short (ie a 75m pull, minus a bit each end) - the MK snowdome is 2.5 times longer!
ski holidays
Helen,

Yes weardale is still going
http://www.skiweardale.co.uk/
I actually discounted them from the list of rope tows because by the early 1980s they had already converted to dopplemayer lifts.

Johnboy - the decline in English skiing is partly because of less snow, but mainly more affordable holidays, higher expectations and generally less interest in voluntary activity, which affects all Clubs.

Rob - I don't think it was our Club that bought the portables - we've got one of these instead http://www.thepriceofcheese.com/gallery/twooofive/slides/MG_1657.html snowHead

Snowball, i suspect that the length quoted is drag length rather total loop length. I'm sure our 5hp portable had a rope providing uplift of 200m with up to 4 or 5 riding at a time. A lot however depends on slope steepness, snow stickiness and wind strength.

With regard to fuel economy it does burn a bit but there is a limit to what a 5.5hp motor can consume.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy