Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Inter season & summer 2006

Poster: A snowHead
davidof, thanks, that's a great photo - really shows off the mountain. Chalance looks good doesn't it? It also shows how far down the good snow is - I'm more hopeful than ever for skiing to 2,600 early on this summer! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN wrote:
easiski wrote:
Alpe D'Huez doesn't have any real summer skiing nowadays

I saw an article last week (IIRC) that said they were not opening at all this year, due to the shrinkage of the Sarenne glacier.

Last year the SATA took a decision with the community to say they wouldn't open the Sarenne but maybe with the good conditions at altitude they are thinking of opening a couple of lifts. They probably have enough permanent staff to do this. Val d'Isère is set to reopen now they have snowmaking on the glacier.

This is l'Alpe d'Huez today, as you can see there is still a lot of snow around

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski wrote:
davidof, thanks, that's a great photo - really shows off the mountain. Chalance looks good doesn't it? It also shows how far down the good snow is - I'm more hopeful than ever for skiing to 2,600 early on this summer! Very Happy Very Happy

Let us know, I may even come up for the day if it is open ! They seem to be doing some work up there but maybe they should have bashed down all the fresh snow that fell?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, they're working on re-aligning the lifts, which they have to do every year.Interesting that you can see the big half pipe from so far away! I've asked to DAL what their plans are for the summer works, and they told me they didn't know and hadn't decided! Shocked They must think I'mj thick or something. I don't quite understand why they won't say what they're planning - they knew it was for my newsletter!

I'll let you know if we can ski down as soon as we re-open. Hopefully, I should be able to find out in advance. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:
davidof, they're working on re-aligning the lifts, which they have to do every year.Interesting that you can see the big half pipe from so far away!

I'll let you know if we can ski down as soon as we re-open. Hopefully, I should be able to find out in advance. :D

Lets hope for an unsettled, cold and wet end to May !

I could have taken a better photo but it was so hazy yesterday... I was a bit dissapointed as I had hoped to get some nice shots.

Val d'Isère had this cryptic sentence about opening "snow making on the glacier now enables us to reopen summer skiing, snow conditions permitting". I know it kind of vaguely makes sense.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, I'm off to the UK tomorrow for a 3 week visit, so there won't be any reports from LDA until at least 7th June. davidof, If you happen to take any more photos - love to see them - just to keep up to date!! You must have a very impressive camera! Very Happy Very Happy BTW I should think you can drive to the Cretes (maybe a bit further, then you could skin ....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is a pic of the glacier and village from yesterday

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just got back and can see that the snow is still quite low down. Quick glance (not doing more until tomorrow) shows Chalance still looks skiable, and quite possibly Super Diable too - snow still on Rachas .... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

davidof, The slopes in your pic of the back of ADH look a lot barer now don't they? Still a fair bit of snow on this side of the Pic Blanc though/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, how much of that do you think will last until the end of the month?? snowHead
snow report
 brian
brian
easiski, sounds good. One month today I'll be in the air Very Happy

Looks snowy on this webcam, am I right in thinking that the Glacier restaurant is out of shot to the right ?

snow conditions
 brian
brian
Arno, you might be interested in this link.

Type the access code displayed into the box at the bottom and you should get 4 graphs for the next week in L2A.
Top one is precipitation at about 3000m, next 3 are temperature (650mb is roughly 3500m, 700mb is roughly 3000m and bottom one is roughly village temps).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, that's interesting as I've just looked at the webcam on the DAL site (2alpes.com) and it hasn't been renewed since 17 April!

Arno, Can't tell, but unlikely I should think. It's supposed to get warmer from sunday. It wasn't very warm last night - 6 deg on the balcony at 07.00, which is normal in April! Central heating off in the building and flat quite cold when I got back - fotunately I've hung onto that old oil filled radiator I've had for years .....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, I actually had the wood burner going at the start of June. Just hope the forecast warmer weather doesn't take the edge off that first day back on the slopes, barely more than a week to go... Smile

Any lessons lined up straight away in June, or does the summer season not really get going until July?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, No, I start on 18th with a week's work straight away - good eh! I heaerd today that it's easy to ski to 2600 at the moment, so fingers crossed. A little warmer would be nice, but no rain at altitude please. Took some photos today, and will post them tomorrow. (Having a day off after the journey!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking good! Charlotte I'm insanely jealous. Anyone going out early this summer? Looks too good to pass by, but I have no holiday/money left whatsoever! Bah. rolling eyes
latest report
PG, easiski,

Any pics?
latest report
easiski, looks like any decision to come over will be a last minute one, as we're also haveing a few days in Italy. I've really got to decide whether wecarry the boots over or not. We had to bring them home as the storage room isn't ready.
ski holidays
paulmck, i'm heading out in a couple of weeks' time Cool
snow report
Arno, Lucky so and so. I'd be interested to know how far down the La Grave side you can still get. It'd be one hell of a walk-out but think of the bragging rights.
ski holidays
paulmck, that's not really in the picture - it's just a couple of days brushing up my technique aided by easiski.

If I was there for a whole week, I'd be tempted to have a look provided that the Telepheriques de la Meije are still running
snow conditions
Never mind - I've got a feeling the telepherique runs in the summer for walkers and to access the hut at the top.
snow conditions
paulmck, it was originally built for mountaineers but June is still a quite early in the alpinism season
snow report
johnboy, no pics yet, I won't be there until early July...

Just this latest piece on summer skiing at the resort, to whet people's appetites!
snow report
paulmck, It's too dangerous to go over the top to LG in summer - did you spot the size of those crevasses??? The snow bridges aren't safe by now and their glacier is covered in them. Also, the Vallons is covered with huge boulders. Even when you wnet down there were rocks you could see, and think of the snow we'd already had - the place needs at least 1.5m snow to be even vaguely possible (which is why March is the best month for LG).

Another cool but pleasant day today.
shows the upper part of Super Diable in fine condition, and the lower part probably still descendable. The building (resto) is at 2,400m

Shows plenty of snow still on the La Muzelle glacier and surroundings (+ flowers int he foreground)

2 pix of flowers for those of you who thought I was going nuts waxing lyrical about flowers earlier in the year!!!

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nice pics
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scorchio this weekend, the thermometer is already up to 27C and it is going to get hotter next week

latest report
davidof, Yes - but it's still cool here today and this evening. All hatches battened. Shock
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Only a couple of days till opening Very Happy

Don't forget your camera, easiski !! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, No chance! It's official - I've just received the newsletter:OPENING OF THE DOMAIN FROM 2,600M. Wow - even when we've been able to get down to 2,600 before it's never been officially OPEN! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I don't know how long it'll last though - very hot this week.Sad

Loads of pix to come after Sat. Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
snow report
as far as I am concerned, it only needs to last until 2pm on 25 June
but then I am selfish like that NehNeh
snow report
easiski,

We need pics now.
snow report
I hear they are now not opening to 2600 m tomorrow due to the recent heatwave, it has certainly been a massacre over the last 7 days where I am

although there looked to be a good lot of snow above 2000 meters in the Belledonne today.
ski holidays
davidof,

Nice graph

Have you got any pics?
snow report
johnboy wrote:
davidof,

Nice graph

Davidof is a man after my own heart. snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
davidof, what altitude is your graph for (he said fervently hoping for en plaine!).

Not much sign of a cooldown on the horizon either Sad

ski holidays
johnboy, You can't expect me to WALKK UP surely - if we're not open no pix. Really! Shocked Shocked

davidof, Don't know, but at 07.02 this morning they're showing 100cms at 2,600 and 300 cms on the glacier. We'll be skiing down whether it's open or not. Whether they open anything at 2,600 remains to be seen. Anyway - I'm off now to breakfast and shower etc and then go and take johnboy,'s photos!!!
ski holidays
HERE IT IS FOLKS!

First, it was pouring with rain, so having put on my summer gear I had to change for the GoreTex winter stuff: then off up to the lifts, on the way up the first leg of the Jandri Express this is what I saw (unfortunately it was the Roxio pod so the view's not too good
The Grand Couloir still clearly possible with little walking (apart from getting there)
The Tete Moute still possible
and Grand Nord Bis ditto

At 2,600 the Toura looks like this:

In the second leg I saw: (and yes, it was raining)
Lac Noir and Grand Creux still looking OK if you wanted to walk up, and
looking down to Serre Palas and La Mura.

Once up on the glacier This is what I found (apart from horrid weather). the snow was soft and slow, but skiable. It was very windy but warm, and none of the chairlifts were running because of the wind - bah!
Puy Salie and Dome - not too many peeps and
Looking up La Lauze to 3,600 - didn't bother to go up there though!

After a couple of runs to take the pix I started down. They were going to open from 2,900 (mid station of the 8 man chair), but with the wind they decided against it. However I had a lovely time, being the only one on:
La Mura, Serre Palas was fine as it was here, with soft corduroy, mine are the only tracks this way. Later I joined the Jandri, and found 3 other sets of tracks (shame!)
Looking back up to see 2 ways down the Jandri skiable, and lower down
the weather improved a little at this point.
showing the final tracks of the descent in the Goulet du Lac Noir and then....
the walk back up to the Jandri Express at 2,600.

The descent was really quite nice. Slow, of course with the soft snow, but very pleasant. It's always nice to be the only one. Today it was officially closed, but that's more politics than anything else - they always have to cater for the idiots who rush off, even on Jun 17th thinking a piste will be perfect!!!
[/b]
latest report
 brian
brian
Thanks Charlotte !

How would you say it compared to an average opening ? Any chance the glacier reds will survive into July ?
latest report
brian, Shedloads of snow on the glacier - the returning T bars are around hip height, you have to slalom in between them crossing the Puy Salie rather than ducking! You should be fine for the Dome, although the top of Signal is already a bit thin in places.We did it today and there's loads of soft off piste bits to play with. Snowheads wall is looking steep and fine. Quite a few peeps skiing the Echines des Chevres too, but I didn't take my guy as the risk in summer (I'm not a high mountain guide so no insurance) is too great. Might do it on my own tomorrow, and have told him that he could probably do it with almost no risk on his own!!!

We can only get down to 2,600 at the start of the summer season about 1 year in 3 or 4, so it's particularly good, and one of my pisteur friends was telling me that they were all set to open the whole domain from 2,600 until last week's hot weather and then the rain finished it off. Aparently the reason it's not open to 2,900 is that on the corner of Serre Palas the snow's quite thin, and they think that the passage of many skiers + the need to groom would make it too stoney to be safe. Shame - but of course it's still good skiing for those who don't require perfect pistes!!!

It was lovely early today, and had frozen overnight, so was quite firm to start with. Unfortunately, it came on to rain around 11.45. It was snowing at 3,400m and sleeting at 3,300m but raining heavily at 3,200m. The temps seem set to drop a little in the next few days - we don't need much - 2deg would be enough, and that should stabilise everything.

I reckon Arno will be able to ski to 2,600m with a bit of adventure along the way, but I'm afraid that won't be on by the time Brian gets here.

All for today folks Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
easiski, sounds good, thanks for the report. Fingers crossed for relative coolness Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy