Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Inter season & summer 2006

Poster: A snowHead
Wear The Fox Hat, still working with the wifi?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat, Le Tour is one thing - the Etap is entirely another. All the same inconvenience (worse) but no TV promotion, no benefit to us at all if peeps are not actually staying here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A beautiful day today with a good re-freeze overnight. The snow was excellent, the sun was out and both the young masters' Brian skied excellently. Really couldn't have been better. We finished the run down to the restaurant at 13.00 and the snow was not three bad at all. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

View across to the main skiing area from the top of the Signal lift.

Dome and Echines de Chevres showing the impossibility of skiing that off piste glacier area now (hardly surprising though!)

Brian and No 1 son at the top of the Signal chairlift.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
looks like we're gonna come on friday, esp as no1 sone was injured yesterday and had to be stretchered off the mountain! now i'm really looking forward to it. pming you now charlotte!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another very nice day today. Brian and I were up early and the snow was hard until about 11.00. A bit of a cooling breeze was pleasant and the sun was shining - what more could you want? Signal will be closed from tomorrow, which is about normal and Roche Mantel should keep going for another week or two.

The snow conditions are as we'd expect for the time of year - no better, no worse. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well we went on the 14th.

Now i have to be totally honest with you, i was very very shocked as to just how bad the glacier was. It was never that bad this time last year ( i always seem to go for bastile day for some reason!!!)

However it is very much ridable and the freestyle skiers were totally amazing, they made even the best pro snowboarders look crap!

I got some awesome pics which i'm going to try and upload now

many thanks to charlotte for putting up with my daughter and her tantrums!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

skier going very large in the pipe. He was amazing made even the pro boarders who were doing great things in the pipe look crap

Liam (my son) holding his grab in the pipe. I never quite managed to get the shots of him perfect, very frustrating!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowangel., Glad you got the pix uploaded - amazing stuff. I hope Lyon was good, and it was nice to meet you (Winter is sweet)!

Most of us who do every summer think the condition is normal for this time of year in terms of what's open etc. The bottom of the glacier has no snow on it now, but that's largely because all the lovely winter snow blew off that bit! Sad

I'll try to take some more pix this week to show you, but the webcam is pretty OK at the moment.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually the snow was quite nice today. We skied from 09.15 till 11.15, all up on the main part of the glacier, and didn't find any problems. It was quite hard at first (but not icy) and then softened nicely. 11.15 coming down the Puy Salié was fine and no major slush or ice. The last part is quite tricky for slightly wobbly skiers as there are two small rivers to cross - but it makes it all more fun!

Forgot my camera, will try to remember tomorrow.
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice day today, really firm snow early on, and still not soft by 11.00. Roche Mantel is now closed. Photos:
Going up the Dome Sud lift

Looking a bit further right towards the snowpark

View up to 3,600m from 3,400m

This last 100m or so if probably what Snowangel was talking about - but it is only this bit!

As you can see from the snow walls, we're prevented from skiing this part anyway.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, so you get on the lift where the crowd of peeps is ?
Is the brown at the bottom just rock/gravel or a trick-of-the light Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PS, thanks for the photos ! I realy want to be there & not here.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, You've done me, i'll be there next friday, my round. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Cool

lampbus, yes, for the faster right hand lift (Puy Salié Sud). Still on at the bottom on the north lift. The horrid bit across the right side is officially no-go land, we're skiing down on the left of the Puy Salié Nord, which is hard and icy early, followed by hard and icy with rivers and puddles later. Shocked Still - it's only 100m or so. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 brian
brian
It's taken me a few days to get pics sorted but we had a fantastic time out in L2A last week. More great tuition from easiski, the boys have really come on leaps and bounds and I got to do lots of bizarre exercises on 1 leg !

Snow cover on the glacier was better than last year with the exception (as mentioned above) of the last 100 yards of Puy Salié where you're actually skiing on the glacier ice, across streams etc. We got to ski Dome, Signal and the snowHead s wall though, so it was great fun.

Anyway, here's a gratuitous lump of pics, others available in snowMedia

Euan and Le Mur des Tetes de la Neige !

Charlotte and Euan on Signal, Mont Blanc in the distance.

Main runs down to the restaurant, you can see the park (awesome) at the top right

Douglas (age 5) easiskiing his first blue run !

Later in the week and he's off the poles doing it solo Very Happy

Looking down the wall, the snow was getting a bit lumpy but still nice to ski

Awesome mountains, this is the Barre des Ecrins, over 4000m

The view across to L'Alpe d'Huez

ski holidays
brian wrote:
Euan and Le Mur des Tetes de la Neige !

Euan looks a lot younger than he did when he was teaching at the EoSB... Laughing
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Wear The Fox Hat, that's Euan, not Ewan, do keep up ! NehNeh
snow report
brian, Actually - I made a spelling mistake, and Ewan is actually Euan too! Great pix.

Another nice day. A very good re-freeze last night so it was pretty hard early on - love that summer hard snow! It was cool early with a bit of wind, but then got pretty warm by 11.45. Snow was soggy by then too. I'm off up very early tomorrow - got 2 whole lessons - wow!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
IT SNOWED LAST NIGHT! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Actually, only enough to make everything look a bit whiter early in the morning, but still - I had been thinking it would have rained even up there with yesterday's thunderstorm. Whoopee. Snow was very hard first thing, and stayed good right up to the end, although obviously very soft where lots of peeps had skied. I skied the lift line after it had closed at about 13.10 and it was really nice (till the last bit).
Here's theright of the Puy Salié, showing the half pipes

and the view of the glacier from the restaurant - about the same again out of sight on the main drag + the Lauze higher up

and even the Wall, looking (not quite) skiable
ski holidays
easiski, i'm not going to tell liam that but i'm glad it did as everyone i\ve seen this week is not at all impressed with it up there (park wise, we dont bother with the rest)

he was airlifted to grenoble hospital last tuesday with a snapped high bone.

he got 2.5 m out of the pipe and landed it but caught his nose in the super slush and it through him into the other wall.\

as to what i was talking about with the glacier looking so bad. its not just the bottom, half of the park was just ice and black, and even the top where you come out was black.

personally i think the glacier shouldn't be being used as much as it is, or they need to invest in it.

either way 10 years and its a gonna unless they do something now.
snow conditions
Quote:

he was airlifted to grenoble hospital last tuesday with a snapped high bone

Ouch!!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
snowangel., ouch Sad Hope it heals fast and he's back in action for winter.

As for the black bits, I think that's just what glaciers look like when the snowcover on them melts. The bits that are black are where wind exposure during the winter meant the snow depth was small. Don't think the amount of skier use will make that much difference. Alpine glaciers are in retreat, natural cycle or man made climate change or both, it's a sad fact of life Sad
snow conditions
snowangel., Poor Liam, I do hope he'll be OK. Grenoble is a really good hospital for sorting out these sort of injuries! Please tell him to get well soon from me.

I agree that it's looking not too good at the moment. The 0deg isotherm hasn't been below 4,000m for ages now. Only 2 or 3 days this summer - it's now becoming worrying. Of course if they took all the snow that's being wasted on jumps and half pipes in the park, and put it on the pistes ..........

One of the pisteurs said today that he thought it would cool down in August and we should come back a bit, but as I said earlier I'm not holding my breath.

brian, Exactly - glaciers are not the pretty white sparkly things most people imagine - that's the snow on top of them! If you want to see, go to the bottom of the Alech Gletscher in VAllais (Wallis) in Switzerland - seriously unnatractive, but very interesting. I'm not actually sure about skiing on the glacier itself. It seems to me that it can't be doing it any good, however you can't just change your job and living with a click of the fingers! Shock

snowangel., They are seriously considering just what you say at the moment. Regardless of how much is invested now, the summer skiing will end in max 20 years anyway. The DAL are looking into either a) investing in faster uplift, creating a lake to feed cannons, installing cannons etc or b) closing the summer skiing right at this moment! I hope they choose the former, but then I'm being selfish!
ski holidays
easiski, no your not selfish, it would be amazing if they could find a way to make it good and stay alive.

i know that glaciers are black, i look at one every day!!!! the reason they are black is because they formed only 200 or 300 years ago when one of the big volcanoes erupted and plunged the alpes into darknes for 2 or 3 years.
this is why they are black!
latest report
I think there was a major volcanic eruption in Indonesia, in the early 1800's (Tambora?) which caused glaciers to advance much lower than before, but I think they were already there.
snow conditions
snowangel., I think and hope that the success of the snowpark will persuade the DAL to invest, but that investment would be huge and the benefits relatively short-term regardless. I would understand if they decided against it. SO LISTEN EVERYONE - YOU ALL HAVE TO COME HERE NEXT YEAR SUMMER SKIING TO SAVE IT FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin BTW I wasn't suggesting that you didn't know glaciers are black - just that most people don't. Smile
ski holidays
easiski, Hang on, some of us haven't finished with this year, impending arrival 6th August.

Or should we be looking a bit closer at those white-water rafting sites ?

wink
latest report
bladeskier, not as good at skiing, but the white-water rafting is great too!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowangel,

I hope he get's better, I snapped my thigh bone one March in Verbier, I was skiing the next may in Scotland, so tell him to keep the faith, the bone heals itself stronger than before!!

this was my leg

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gregh, OMG that looks super nasty!! at least his was a straight break
ski holidays
gregh, Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm nearly crying looking at that
snow conditions
bladeskier, You're coming in time.

The shorter runs from 3,300m to 3,400m are all still in reasonable order, but very hard and icy first thing this morning. Good job the lad skiing with me is pretty good! The last bit coming down is horrid, but you can get straight on the lift as a result, whereas the intermediate get-on for the Puy Salié Sud has a huge queue. Very Happy I just keep telling Peter that it's good practise skiing on rubbish snow (varies from sheet ice to boot high heavy slush in about 2 turns!) Laughing Very hot - lovely day but ....

Seriously, it's OK but not good now, let's hope for some horrid winter weather, and we'll be laughing - it can happen - I've seen it. Shocked

gregh, Yuk.
latest report
It was a very stormy day today (still is), and for a while it did look as though we might not open. However the Jandri Express opened on time and we arrived at 3,200m to find it was sleeting and windy. there had been about 3cms of fresh snow above 3,300m, but it was pretty wet, cold and windy! The very good news was that not many people bothered, and the weather was pretty in and out (including blizzard conditions twice), so we had a really good morning! Very Happy
Rainbow ...................................................................View to the South West
latest report
Just looking at the pix from 10 days ago it's hard to believe the difference. I'll try to take some tomorrow. the degeneration of conditions since 19/20 July has been very fast indeed. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Of course it's all ski skiable, and the snow is much better higher up (above 3,300m), but I'm glad Bladeskier is coming next week and not the week after. I have peeps coming in the third week of August, but I'm not sure what it'll be like by then. Puzzled

Having said all that, we had a fine time today, with beginners on the nursery slope (conditions still good) and then I skied down on my mini-skis (Rossignol Free ZB 139) which was fun! Very Happy I took the lift track since it was afer 13.00 and actually found some really quite nice snow for at least half the trip. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
easiski, looks like next week should bring much cooler conditions, maybe even a bit of snow midweek. Fingers crossed snowHead
snow report
brian, I'll cross everything then - thanks for the ray of hope. The one day we had (Friday) and the little spot of snow wasn't enough, and realistically we now need around 20-30cms to make a significant difference. Small amounts just melt the next day in the heat! Sad
snow conditions
 brian
brian
easiski, freezing level should be below 3000m by end of Wednesday. Thursday is your best bet for snow, currently looks like 10-20cm possible but it's a still a long way out for a precipitation forecast.
ski holidays
brian, sounds encouraging, fingers crossed.

Only problem is that I've told my kids we'll be skiing in T-shirts next Tuesday !
latest report
cooler and cloudy today - much pleasanter really. Snow soft after 11.00 (when we went up), but the kids did well. Didn't bother with camera as too cloudy!
snow report
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad it rained yesterday afternoon and evening Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy