Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Finder and Avalanche Rescue accessory

Poster: A snowHead
Feckin Hell. It's your funeral mate. Shout as us all you like about "skiing where you see" whatever that means. And your total BS that anyone who can afford to ski can't afford a transceiver. You are a potentially reckless lone wolf- I highly suspect you have not done any avy training - I can see for you your streamer might be your only lottery ticket if you do get caught in a slide.

Either that or you're a Walt who gets nowhere near the amount of serious pow pow for 4 months a year as he claims. Or skis somewhere where off piste is controlled like N America.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In pondering this important issue I've also come up with a great idea for an innovative rescue device: the Fully Inflatable Dog Olfactodetector, or Fido to you and me. Store your inflatable avalanche pooch in his natty pouch, then when the worst happens quickly deploy him by pressing the On button located just underneath his tail. One press and you're ready to search for your ribbon-less buddy buried a couple of metres under the snow.

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Joe Axelrad wrote:
I am a solo skier. I realized that skiing in parties, slows me down and take out all the fun of skiing. Basically: I Ski Where I See, without any obstruction.
I do my homework and check at the beginning of the day about the daily avalanche forecast. So to your question: I don't, and I don't want.

Skiing with people takes the fun out of it? You poor bugger
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I ski mostly in the the Alps, so if ever you see a lone wolf ripping the snow, "Just call my name".

And now, look what I've got: The Ski Finder and Avalanche Rescue became the hottest topic in the Off Piste forum.
Many people that never knew about an alternative to the transceiver and couldn't afford one, are aware that there is something they can afford, and that's better than nothing.
For me, and for them, that's a Win-Win situation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

Or skis somewhere where off piste is controlled like N America

Doh!

Of course he is. "Senior", etc. vocab all points to a North American skier ... still doesn't change the arguments one toss, but may explain some of them ...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Joe Axelrad, you're the hot topic because everyone is laughing at you and ridiculing your 'alternative'. It's frankly f**king terrifying that anyone may happen across this thread and think that they can go off piste with your dodgy ribbon alone. Hopefully what they'd take away is that it's unsafe and downright stupid.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Joe Axelrad wrote:

And now, look what I've got: The Ski Finder and Avalanche Rescue became the hottest topic in the Off Piste forum.
Many people that never knew about an alternative to the transceiver and couldn't afford one, are aware that there is something they can afford, and that's better than nothing.

No publicity is bad publicity right?
Even when that publicity is saying how bad your safety related equipment appears to be?
Ask Pieps how that's going for them at the moment....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

No, it's exactly lose-lose. You just aren't listening are you?

(So I was wrong about you being NA based ..., well, there you go, I'm not always right)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

Or skis somewhere where off piste is controlled like N America

Doh!

Of course he is. "Senior", etc. vocab all points to a North American skier ... still doesn't change the arguments one toss, but may explain some of them ...

English isn't his first language (Israeli?)...he has learned American English.

And if he is who I think he is as well as an engineering background, he was in marketing...both in the 90s (he got a BSc in Mechanical Engineering in the 70s). If im right it explains a lot about his ancient 'solutions' and 90s website

Am I right Joe?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 4-11-20 14:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to ski in parties too but it didn't go down well, especially on the dance floor and in the hot tube.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@holidayloverxx, Well, it started to be funny and interesting. I am proud of your homework.
I think is time to start a new topic "Where Joe Axelrad is from?" Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Joe Axelrad wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I ski mostly in the the Alps, so if ever you see a lone wolf ripping the snow, "Just call my name".

Ladies and gentleman I give you - "The best skier on the mountain"

The boys are hollering for you!

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Joe Axelrad wrote:
I think is time to start a new topic "Where Joe Axelrad is from?" Laughing

At a guess, https://www.google.com/maps/@32.8430836,35.0543402,14z
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SnoodlesMcFlude, as I said...Israeli
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, Yes, bro.
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

Skiing with people takes the fun out of it? You poor bugger

To be fair he might have skied with people like you and @Smygus Dyngus and got tired of the quality inspections wink

But yeah there's usually a reason top famous internet rad skiers end up skiing on their own and it's not always to do with their inherent radness.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
To be fair he might have skied with people like you and @Smygus Dyngus

Then he's clearly skiing with the wrong type of people
ski holidays
Joe wrote:
I am a solo skier. I realized that skiing in parties, slows me down and take out all the fun of skiing. Basically: I Ski Where I See, without any obstruction.
I do my homework and check at the beginning of the day about the daily avalanche forecast. So to your question: I don't, and I don't want.

Uh. Wait, what...you're skiing on your own? Then who are you wearing your weird bits of ribbon for??
latest report
ChrisWo wrote:
Uh. Wait, what...you're skiing on your own? Then who are you wearing your weird bits of ribbon for??

It's so that whoever finds him weeks later gets a few quid by selling his skis on Ebay.

Does Joe Boy do yellow ribbons?

http://youtube.com/v/FjqBhZj_37U

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 4-11-20 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Joe Axelrad, question...

So if when you're off-piste having fun, you witness an skier caught in an avy', would you attempt to rescue? How as you don't have a tranciever? Surely you see you have a responsibility to try, after all you seem to expect others to do the same for you (though they probably won't find you given your lack of beep)?
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
@Joe Axelrad, question...

So if when you're off-piste having fun, you witness an skier caught in an avy', would you attempt to rescue? How as you don't have a tranciever? Surely you see you have a responsibility to try, after all you seem to expect others to do the same for you (though they probably won't find you given your lack of beep)?

But with a bit of luck they'll now easy be able to pull out his skis and claim them as a bit of mountain swag.. Could put a downer on the opportuntism if all you pull out is a frozen corpse of a rad skier.
latest report
@adithorp, Yes. I always helped skiers On or Off Piste, to the best of my ability.
Never happened that I passed by someone who felt down, and didn't offer my help.

Many times I just saved them from a thorn ACL (as I have), by teaching them how to stand up from a fall (this is an extremely important issue, that many don't know).
If they are nice, I even teach them for an hour or more some things about skiing that they probably don't know.
Being on the snow 4 months a year, gives me a lot of time for helping others.
snow report
That's not what I asked though is it.

Would you help someone buried in an avy' as you seem to expect them to do for you?

How would you help, as you don't carry a tranciever to find them?

Bearing in mind anyone searching an avy' is putting themselves in danger, why would you expect them to do that for you when you fail to carry the equipment to do the same for them?
latest report
4 months = ~120 ski days. I got 10 years out of my last transceiver which cost £125, so that would be 1200 ski days at about 10p/day. Hard to argue transceivers are expensive!
snow conditions
@adithorp, To the best of my ability.
If I see, I help. If one carries a transceiver I might hear. Everyone takes his own risks.

In my country we were educated that "You never leave the wounded behind" even at the price of yourself.
snow report
Joe Axelrad wrote:
If one carries a transceiver I might hear. Everyone takes his own risks.

What do you mean by that, you do or don't carry a transceiver?
snow conditions
@snowdave, I was misunderstood.

Actually is 4 months, 15 days per month. My family needs me too, and so your body needs some rest too.
And although I am a Senior, I am still working, as someone has to pay the bills.
snow conditions
@Tubaski, I do, but I met MANY people on the slopes that just couldn't afford one.

That's why I started with the statement that the "Ski Finder and Avalanche Rescue" is a service to the community, mainly to those that cannot afford a transceiver, and as the price is very small, I hope you agree to that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Joe Axelrad wrote:
@adithorp, ....If one carries a transceiver I might hear...

Hear what? You really don't have any idea do you?

Remember the suggestion of having something printed on your crappy ribbon to inform the rescuers. Well how about "Here lies @Joe Axelrad, He was to selfish/cheap to carry equipment to help you"
latest report
New ideas can always be interesting and it can be deflating when it turns out someone already had them and in this case already implemented them. So I checked out the web site anyway (this being lock-down and all I've nothing much better to do). There doesn't seem to be any way to actually buy this thing on-line yet and the 'nearest store' button takes me to a map of Haifa in Israel, not very near anywhere I've ever skied. But by posting here Joe has at least harvested a lot of feedback and info that could have taken a while to get any other way. Let's see if he comes back with a "Mark 2". Perhaps some device that locates people using radio signals?
snow conditions
Joe Axelrad wrote:
@Tubaski, I do, but I met MANY people on the slopes that just couldn't afford one.

That's why I started with the statement that the "Ski Finder and Avalanche Rescue" is a service to the community, mainly to those that cannot afford a transceiver, and as the price is very small, I hope you agree to that.

No, I very much disagree. Encouraging anyone to go into avalanche terrain with an inferior product instead of a proper transceiver is not a service to them, nor to their family and friends, nor to other skiers they may be with or encounter, nor to the rescue services, nor to the wider community.

You'd be doing the community a much greater service by pressing the message home that it's not worth the risk of skiing in avalanche terrain without a) the proper equipment and b) the right knowledge / training.
ski holidays
Ed_sec wrote:
Let's see if he comes back with a "Mark 2". Perhaps some device that locates people using radio signals?

Maybe even at 457kHz?
ski holidays
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Joe Axelrad wrote:

#1 Did you ask them how they afforded to be on the slopes in the first place?

#2 If you like to be alone why do you talk to many people?
snow conditions
@Tubaski, Maybe we are approaching this all wrong - is our definition, understanding of avalanche terrain, BC and off piste different from the OP. Is the poster even actually skiing in the alps and in the back country?

After all the 4 months have turned into a few days a week, the fact he says he skis like a lone wolf ripping the snow yet has to care for his family just makes me think this is all typical middle-east exaggeration.

Is the OP actually just skiing a bit of side-piste / under the lift. We know the poster is based in Tel Aviv, there is extremely limited skiing in Israel - Mount Hermon is a bowl, that is pretty exposed to wind. It is conceivable there like in other countries in the east-med where you can ski that people don't have the purchasing power for a $200-300 piece of equipment, nor does the terrain or exposure really pose significant avalanche risks - those with money would go to the alps - there is no serious off piste in Israel.

So maybe this poster has a product that works well for the local Israeli market where you do a bit of side piste lose your ski and really there is no avalanche risk, and in the rare case there is one, you're in a bowl under a lift or the side of the piste in a militarised ski area with hopefully a piece of tape sticking out and someone digging you out?
ski holidays
Joe Axelrad wrote:
If one carries a transceiver I might hear. Everyone takes his own risks.

If you ever buy a transceiver be sure to get something for your 78's and a bag for your 'ed.
latest report
@extremerob, They wrote earlier in the thread that they ski in the Alps.
latest report
extremerob wrote:
So maybe this poster has a product that works well for the local Israeli market ...
Yeah but this isn't an Israeli forum full of dick-heads who think a bit of tape is "avalanche safety gear" in 2020. I've done enough business in Israel to understand the culture, and I suggest that robust but polite repetition is an effective way to deal with it.

(1) it's not safety equipment
(2) spamming is rude

Just got an Arva 5 which is probably as useful as a daft piece of old tape to me at the moment.
snow conditions
@admin
Please stop this nonsense or I'll buy you some for Christmas
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Ed_sec, I really wonder. The website is working: ski-finder-avalanche-rescue.com

@extremerob, I am indeed from Israel, but Israel has nothing to offer as for skiing for me, and therefore I ski in the Alps, and the steeper the better.
I even don't remember if the free shipping is offered for Israel, because this product has no use for Israel's slopes.
And Israel is classified at 19-th place as for GDP per Capita, higher than UK, 21-th, so we are not very poor.

and @Layne, You don't understand: I like talking to people and I like people, but skiing alone doesn't mean you don't like people. It is, for me, Complete Freedom.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy