Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

We’re not done yet...Greenland TR

Poster: A snowHead
Day 2 tomorrow...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bonus day 1 material: view from the hut showing reflections in meltwater sitting on top of the ice.

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Sharkymark, tagging this thread - sounds like quite an adventure!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HossDoc, thanks! It certainly was...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fantastic, I look forward to the follow-up!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good post.

Looks kinda bare.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Whitegold, yes, unseasonably high temps (9 deg.C when we arrived - boardies and flip flops on day 1) and a naturally thin snowpack means that as soon as some of the ground is exposed, it goes very quickly. Fortunately, the couloirs were well filled in and we had perfect spring snow down to 100 - 400m depending upon aspect. We could often ski to the beach whilst at worst a 250m down climb over heather.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Day 2: Getting skiing.

The sun rose at 4am and set at 10:30pm*. That gave the snow a lot of time to cook off so it was a 5:30am start each day. This photo was taken at 5:20 when the sun was already reasonably high.

* There was no 'night' or even a proper twilight. The sun sets just below the horizon and at midnight it's much like an eerie overcast day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Our first objective was 'Destiny Couloir' (first skied 2 years ago by another British Guide also hosted by Andy and Janice, hence named after their yacht). Here's @offpisteskiing approaching the foot of the line.

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@arno on the climb. The hut is out of view on the near edge of the fjord.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In the guts of the couloir...

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The snow was still firm so boot crampons and, further up as the slope kicked, axe in hand required.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After 4 flights, 2 nights in hotels, 30km on a boat, 12km on a skidoo and a 1000m climb, it was finally time to start skiing! It was no surprise that the Springsnowfinder General got us perfectly timed spring skiing amongst spectacular orange rock walls. Bang on.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arno having a go.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We climbed again to attempt to so-called 'Musk Ox Couloir' but the entrance had melted out and with no sensible anchors, abseiling was out of the question. A quick pano of the fjord and a mellow ski back to the hut on very spring-like snow for mid afternoon aprés ski.

ski holidays
Very interesting.
snow conditions
Great start
ski holidays
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
ty for the posts
latest report
Thanks all. Day 3 subject to a day’s delay whilst the excellent weather draws me away from my laptop...
snow report
I’d post some pics if I could work out how to get pics on iCloud to appear Puzzled
ski holidays
HossDoc wrote:
tagging this thread - sounds like quite an adventure!
Hi Mark, (sorry to impose on this thread), I still owe you for the Oakleys, I PMed you but didn't hear back, give me a PM when you get a moment and I'll settle up with you.
latest report
Day 3 kicked off with the first taste of cloud hanging over the peaks we were intending to climb and ski.

latest report
Over the next half hour, the cloud thickened considerably but it started to become clear there was an inversion forming so hope of good weather on the peaks. Packing the skidoos for the 1km crossing of the fjord to our start point.

latest report
Dramatic interplay of light and shade as the sun cast deep blue shadows of the peaks onto the cloud below. A bit GoT.

snow report
Climbing through the inversion on an ancient glacier (now permanent nevé) towards 'Walrus peak' and our line 'left tusk'.

ski holidays

latest report
Sharkymark wrote:
Dramatic interplay of light and shade

'Juxtaposition' surely Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@offpisteskiing, you got me!
ski holidays
A good few hours in and the view from top of our first line on Walrus peak at about 1200m.

ski holidays
Skiing the 'left tusk' of Walrus peak in perfect (again) spring snow.

ski holidays
Having descended, we donned skins and lugged our way up to the peak on the opposite side of the bowl, just out of shot on the right of the above pic. The inversion made for some surreal minimalist views.

latest report
The clouds finally opened up just in time for the final descent. Here's a view looking west down the fjord to the open sea 15km away. You can just about make out where the ice meets the open sea.

snow report
Finally, after 20km and 1500m vert of climbing and skiing and 8 hours since leaving the sleds, we arrived back at the fjord. Hut is on the far bank of the fjord in the distance.

snow report
Sunset happened at some point in the late hours - I got bored at about 9:30pm:

snow report
Wow!
snow conditions
Day 4 started overcast, trapping the previous day's warmth. This made climbing conditions 'interesting' and we were beaten back from plan A by unstable sugar snow, wet rock slabs and poor vis. Our high point was a summit at only 644m but afforded a decent (if short) ski nonetheless. Here's @offpisteskiing making the most of it.

snow report
Shameless Whitedot PR

snow report

snow conditions
An early return to base provided the opportunity to fiddle about with the wide angle lens. Plus the sun came out, which helped.

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy