Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I try renting, despite having my own skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst agreeing with the thrust of the above comments I wonder why you keep going to new places? When you are a nervous beginner skier there's a lot to be said for becoming thoroughly familiar with a ski area - and the best way to achieve that is to join group lessons for a week, as an instructor won't take you to a slope that's too difficult. For apprehensive skiers not knowing what's round the next bend can be nerve-wracking.
In France group lessons are generally for two or three hours - if you join a group for morning sessions you could spend the afternoon with your girlfriend.

Lots of skiers on this forum started at an older age. You are coming across as a bit obsessed with your age - but for downhill skiing, with lifts to do the hard bits, age need not be any barrier. Well - not until you're quite a bit older. I am a mere 71 - started skiing years ago (at 40) but only started snowboarding in my 50s (never got much good at it and did fall a lot!!). Once you become competent at skiing - which will take you quite a few more lessons - it all becomes much easier. Constantly fighting gravity is hard work and, even more significant, apprehension saps your energy really quickly. Having said that, many of us struggle when conditions get difficult, especially in poor visibility, and there are times when only a swift retreat to a bar makes sense. One advantage of having lessons is that you just get on with it, even in conditions when you'd give up on your own - and that can help to build confidence, as well as skills.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@peter_h, I'm sorry that a lot of the comment here seems a little harsh but tske it as well intentioned from people who have been there done that to varying degrees.

To continue my ice cream analogy. You are a firm lover of vanilla who has come to a desserts forum to ask where else can I get the same vanilla then you've confused everyone by asking whether getting a different spoon will improve the taste of the vanilla. There must be a reason deep down you are asking these questions. Do you somehow suspect there may be more to life than vanilla? Do you see people eating fancy sorbets or fruit tarts or even sundaes and think I might enjoy those but I'm too old so it's probably not for me? Because people here will tell you those desserts are great at any age but you need to build up to them. And a scoop of vanilla on the side is often a great accompaniment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, that literally made me LOL
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting how this thread has developed, I had a couple of thoughts while reading it*

1) Almost anyone will be able to tell when they like a ski and when they don't. If you tried some different skis it would quickly be clear if you liked them/didn't/were ambivalent.
2) 58 isn't old to start skiing, my old man didn't strap on a pair of skis until he was pretty much retired. 3 years later he's probably doing 3 trips this year and I'd happily take him to most pistes on the mountain as reckon he's good enough (although he may not be so happy about it).
3) Ski more. It sounds like you ski the morning and are done, the more you ski the better you'll be. The better you are, the less worried about what slope you're on.
4) Ski with people. Not all the time, but some of the time. It makes it more fun (IMO) and can really help your skiing. Group lessons or a snowheads bash would be a great way to find people of a similar level (I'm pretty sure the EoSB has first week skiers most years, right through to people that ski all season, every season).

*All just my opinion based on the people I've skied with and how I developed. I'm in a slightly different boat as only started skiing 4 years ago with the mentality that I'd ski as much as possible (as I was paying ££££ to do so), so skied first lift to last on most days. I was properly bitten by the bug so have quickly moved to doing multiple trips in a season and now have a slightly different approach in as much as I am a bit more picky about the conditions I ski in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, can I have some ice cream, please?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Almost anyone will be able to tell when they like a ski and when they don't

I have friends who haven't got a clue what they're skiing on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@peter_h, I'm sorry that a lot of the comment here seems a little harsh but tske it as well intentioned from people who have been there done that to varying degrees.

To continue my ice cream analogy. You are a firm lover of vanilla who has come to a desserts forum to ask where else can I get the same vanilla then you've confused everyone by asking whether getting a different spoon will improve the taste of the vanilla. There must be a reason deep down you are asking these questions. Do you somehow suspect there may be more to life than vanilla? Do you see people eating fancy sorbets or fruit tarts or even sundaes and think I might enjoy those but I'm too old so it's probably not for me? Because people here will tell you those desserts are great at any age but you need to build up to them. And a scoop of vanilla on the side is often a great accompaniment.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy rolling eyes

Anybody seen the Gavin and Stacey sandwich scene?

PS - Vanilla ice cream can be very good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Almost anyone will be able to tell when they like a ski and when they don't

I have friends who haven't got a clue what they're skiing on.

IME people don't necessarily know what they're skiing or how it effects them, but they generally know if they don't like it....just not why. Take my old man, generally couldn't give a toss what he's got on his feet, but he knew that he liked skiing on the Whitedot One.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PS - Vanilla ice cream can be very good.[/quote]

Indeed it can and though lots of people buy big spoons thinking they'll be eating Pistacchio all the time we all know true Pistachhio is a rare beast and we'll be eating soft scoop toxic yelliw more than even the Madagasan podded bits with bourbon.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
no, really, @SnoodlesMcFlude, my chum just skis on what's handed to her. No comments. No complaints. She truly clains that she never notices any differences.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm pretty poor at any kind of differentiation too - not just skis - was the same with the e-bikes I tried recently. In the end I chose the one that looked the prettiest. wink Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro wrote:
@peter_h, I'm not sure why you are asking the question really...
You enjoy the skiing that you do - ideally wide, blue slopes to cruise down.
You aren't looking to change that this time around.
You like your own skis.

So you aren't looking for a ski that will do anything different to what you've always done before, and you think that your current skis are "great" for you Confused

I'm not knocking any of that.
Skiing has to be 100% about enjoyment and it sounds like you are really enjoying your trips.

Just curious as to why the question?

What I would have said if words type could.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"Just curious as to why the question?"

Just to find out whether it is worth me renting something different.

I got the answer anyway: probably not. That's fine with me Smile

Thank you all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not one of those people who think that unless you ski from first lift to last you're not a proper skier. Doing mornings only, then spending the afternoons with a non-skiing friend sounds absolutely fine to me, as does giving up when the weather gets nasty. Nothing like sitting in a cosy bar with a drink and a few friends, whilst the dead keen masochists carry on being gnarly. But the OP is confining himself to a tiny handful of pistes - even in resorts which are known to have a good range of easy alternatives. And he is very worried about coming across narrow tracks or the possibility of falls. IMHO it is this apprehension and anxiety, not the wish to just do half a day's skiing, which is undermining his enjoyment and which is likely to be allayed only by improving technique and confidence. Maybe if his skis are too "advanced" more beginner-oriented ones could be better. But consistent lessons are the first requirement - once people are competent skiers then one private lesson in a week is a good way to go. But not for the early stages, except for those natural and fearless athletes who can just get on with it (I've known a few of those, and bloody irritating they are too).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
peter_h wrote:
"

I also don't get all that passionate about anything... Smile My GF is very supportive though.

Good to hear that your girlfriend supports a lack of passion in all you do. Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
peter_h wrote:
"

I also don't get all that passionate about anything... Smile My GF is very supportive though.

Good to hear that your girlfriend supports a lack of passion in all you do. Shocked Toofy Grin

I could do with one of them!
snow report
I’m currently standing at the side of a dry slope trying to read this on a small phone screen & all I can think is “I fancy some ice cream “
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy