Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the longest continuous vertical drop in Europe -.pisted?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
* Biggest onpiste vertical drop = Alpe d'Huez to Enversin: 2230m.
* Longest onpiste trail (without lift) = Alpe d'Huez / La Sarenne: 16km

* Biggest offpiste vertical drop = Chamonix / Vallee Blanche: 2780m.
* Longest offpiste trail (without lift) = Chamonix / Vallee Blanche: 20km.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton claims Valluga to Village, via my namesake Ulmerhütte, is 10km. I am not sure of the starting point. If it is the top of Vallugabahn 1, then there a t-bar ride is needed about 500m (?) from the start.

The top of Schindlerbahn to Stüben is also a long run, but I do not know the actual length. It could be 6 - 8 km.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's known as the Champagne Run in Alpe d'Huez has, as Whitegold points out, a 2,230m vertical drop (3,330m to 1,100m), making it the greatest continual on-piste drop in the world.

As we'll be staying in Vaujany this winter, which is essentially at the end of it, I'm sure our son will challenge me to ski it in a oner with him.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:
* Biggest onpiste vertical drop = Alpe d'Huez to Enversin: 2230m.
* Longest onpiste trail (without lift) = Alpe d'Huez / La Sarenne: 16km

as I said earlier, the Sarenne is under 10km but I'm sure the other resorts cheat with their distances.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
grazzenger wrote:
What's known as the Champagne Run in Alpe d'Huez has, as Whitegold points out, a 2,230m vertical drop (3,330m to 1,100m), making it the greatest continual on-piste drop in the world.

As we'll be staying in Vaujany this winter, which is essentially at the end of it, I'm sure our son will challenge me to ski it in a oner with him.

I've done it and the great thing about it, is it's a bloody good ski.

La Fare suffers from it's steepness, altititude and lack of snow making though so is often closed IME (albeit skiing early/late season).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnMo wrote:
sbooker wrote:
TQA wrote:
The Marmolada in the Dolomites has a good long run down to Malga Ciapela\. Starts off as a really good red and finishes as an easy blue. 1815 m vertical.

But I enjoyed the run down to Valtournenche from the Plateau Rosa on the Cervinia side. Make sure you understand the options to return to Cervinia.

Is there a shuttle bus that runs from Valtournenche to Cervinia?

Not sure it is a "shuttle bus". There is a bus but it just a normal bus and is not that frequent. I have never taken it myself (or taken a taxi). It is easiest just to get the lifts back up and then ski down to Cervinia.

The problem with taking the lifts is that you need 3 lifts taking you most of the way back to Plateau Rosa. It is easy to miss the last top lift which you need to reach the route back to Cervinia. Also it is not a great idea for someone who is already tired.

AFAIK there is no ski navette service just a regular local bus which does not run frequently. So taxi drivers know that you are stuck and charge accordingly

Best to make it the first run of the day and then lunch down near Valtournenche before going back up to ski down to Cervinia. .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cervinia, Italy
20-kilometre red run
Access one of the world's longest ski runs from the Klein Matterhorn, also known as the Piccolo Cervino. Europe's highest cable car whisks you up onto the Klein Matterhorn over gigantic glacial crevasses. From its lofty height of 3,883 metres, take an epic 20-kilometre descent down red runs to Valtournenche at 1,524 metres, Cervinia's lift-linked neighbour. Alternatively, from the Klein Matterhorn, you can ski the 13-kilometre descent down into Zermatt, Switzerland. Whichever direction you choose - Cervinia or Zermatt - this is one heck of a run which begins with enormous glacial fields and drops into steeper mogulled terrain. Due to its altitude, the ski runs from the Klein Matterhorn are consistently skiable from late November to mid-April. For something slightly shorter, try Cervinia's red Ventina piste, an 11.5-kilometre descent from Plateau Rosa.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Klosters - Weissfluh Gipfel to Kublis is 2844m down to 810m and around 12km long. Decent run although needs to be in the winter part of the season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JuanPlank wrote:
Les 2 Alpes top of glacier to bottom can all be done in one run. 2000 m vertical has to be one of the biggest.
La serenne for longest piste.

How do you do it? I could not figure out the route by looking at the piste map. Web site also does not contain any info.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
L2A can be done on blues and greens with only a red at the bottom - Head to top of the glacier, take the red or blue (Jandri 4?) to the Jandri express midpoint, head down on Jandri 3/2, switch to the infernal Demoiselles, this then splits into petit Aguilles (under the chair of the same name) which then allows access to the red that runs down to Mont de Lans.
Be warned, it takes an age to get back up to the top again wink but its a decent run.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
What is the longest continuous vertical drop in Europe?

In the last few years, pound sterling?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DB, Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dachstein Krippenstein is claiming to be the longest downhill run in Austria at 11km. Ive skied it just once. Ange snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TheGingerPrince wrote:
...infernal Demoiselles...

A candidate for topping a "most difficult green run" thread.

I concur with your assertion that it's indeed infernal. The snowboarder's holy grail of busy, flat and narrow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The top of the glacier in L2A is 3568m and the lowest on piste point at Mont de Lans is 1300m. Which by my reckoning is 2268m so slightly more than Alpe d'Huez (there is a lot of rivalry)

Even at 60+ I can do it without stopping in 25 minutes or so

The Sarenne doesn't take long either but is a lovely run albeit only really black right at the top and green at the bottom.

I also remember my daughter and me taking the first lift up from Zermatt and being down at Valtournenche for coffee by 9.30
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy