Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2018/19 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
I've been in S-H 3 times when the Mountain Attack is on. It doesn't affect the skiing or slopes at all. It's an impressive sight, particularly in the centre of Hinterglemm where those doing the intermediate distance run through the middle of the village in their boots, while the lights of those doing the marathon snake up the Zwolfer. I would imagine the party after in Saalbach is great, but it, (the Mountain Attack, not the party), really doesn't impact general skiing one bit, in my experience.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colinthc wrote:
I've been in S-H 3 times when the Mountain Attack is on. It doesn't affect the skiing or slopes at all. It's an impressive sight, particularly in the centre of Hinterglemm where those doing the intermediate distance run through the middle of the village in their boots, while the lights of those doing the marathon snake up the Zwolfer. I would imagine the party after in Saalbach is great, but it, (the Mountain Attack, not the party), really doesn't impact general skiing one bit, in my experience.

Thanks very much, really helpful
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@byroxz, welcome to Snowheads (at least as an active participant, rather than as a lurker).
If you’re contemplating a DIY holiday and an apartment, PM me. I agree that booking as early as possible (when flights are released) is advisable, if you want good, well-located accommodation. The resort is becoming increasingly popular, and there is bound to be a fanfare in advance of the opening of the new link to Zell am See next season, making it the biggest, lift-linked ski area in Austria.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ ski for fun and @ tatmanstours, my many thanks for the information and consideration to be taken. I'm flying in from the far East and have flights for Munich settled. I would be getting in on a Tuesday. So i think the T/O option isn't available for me. I was thinking of central Saalbach and a hotel( i always enjoy them).

I was unaware of the Zell am See lift opening. More to be excited about then! Shall report back when I've settled on my accommodations.

Thanks again!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@toyah807 the Mountain Attack starts when the slopes officially close so 4.30 IIRC.
Doesn't affect them in the slightest.
It really is something to behold, and rather than detracting it will add to your stay.
When those superhumans are skiing right down the main street in the village to the finish line and you are cheering them on with a beer in your hand its quite an experience.

I had no prior knowledge the first time but was confronted by legions of athletes running at the start to begin the first ascent up the Schattberg.
I would actively aim to be there if I was thinking of going around then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gorgeous weather in Saalbach today. Slopes are empty!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, the pistes were practically deserted and in generally good condition - surprisingly fast with little or no sticky snow.
Went over to Leogang at lunchtime and stopped at the superb Forsthofalm, where White Pearl Mountain Days was hosting one its parties, with cool vibes, a very talented saxophone player, exotic dancers, and the usual great atmosphere that they manage to conjure up on a sunny afternoon.
Best piste on the way there was undoubtedly blue piste 70, which is divided into two halves by a fence running all the way up the middle. The right-hand side is normally cordoned off for race training, but sometimes you can get lucky - as I was today, as they had just finished racing, so I was able to carve my turns all the way down an immaculately groomed piste.
I spent a couple of enjoyable hours there, before heading back to the Bergeralm for happy hour on their sunny terrace - very quiet and peaceful there, and it will have been their closing day, as the Kohlmais and other south-facing areas of the Glemm valley close tomorrow.
Nonetheless several piste bashers appeared at around 5.15pm, having groomed the run down to perfection, so we skied down the magic corduroy carpet for about 4km, all the way to the bottom.
Later it was the closing evenings of both the Spitzbub and the Otzi Bar, so we responded to their kind invitations to “drink us dry”, resisted the temptation to join the bar staff dancing on the bar, and staggered home around midnight.
There is much to be said for the close of season, both in terms of skiing in the sunshine on quiet pistes and soaking up all the apres-ski bonhomie. Thank goodness it’s only seven months until next season!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@tatmanstours, just got the snow alert !

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@radar, Generally this happens - we get fresh snow as everything is winding down (through lack of people, rather than lack of snow).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tatmanstours, I’m just envious Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What's the big crane in Hinterglemm for? Seems to be right in the centre looking at the webcam. Anyone know what's getting built?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@boabski, at a guess it could be the start of the Zwölferkogelbahn lift replacement?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, it's a long way from the Zwolfer. Looks like a hotel is planning a close season upgrade. To me it looks like it's the other side of the river from the Spar supermarket, in the Hotel Alpenblick vicinity. Just a(n educated) guess
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s the start of the crane season!

The pistes this morning (Schattberg 2b, over to Leogang, and then the Asitz) were absolutely superb - fast, grippy, immaculately groomed and practically deserted. Unfortunately that didn’t stop a snowboarder from crashing into me at speed and causing me the most spectacular wipe-out of my skiing career (usual story - boarder facing sideways, back to the piste with blind spot behind, swerved backwards straight at me).

Glad to have survived this encounter, as well as the Otzi Bar and Spitzbub closing parties.

A surprising number of British skiers amongst the relatively few people still here.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mind you, it does look like work may have started elsewhere on the Zwolfer upgrade. The mid-station webcam shows that a lot of snow has been shunted about, and an excavator is on site, (well done on getting that up there...). Groundworks? Is it a complete replacement job, with new buildings?
snow report
@Colinthc, I’m probably skiing that way this morning so will take a look. I would expect that it will be a demolition and total replacement, like the Kohlmaisbahn.
ski holidays
Are there any other new lifts expected next season?
ski holidays
I wonder if it's the cheaper part of the Wolf Hotel? Looks like it could be over there??
latest report
@Drammeister, Don’t know of any, apart from the Zwoelferkogelbahn and the lower section of the Zell am See Express. The Limberglift must surely be ripe for upgrade.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
The Limberglift must surely be ripe for upgrade.

That would be good, but please don't let them touch the Seekar.
snow conditions
Couldn’t ski over to Hinterglemm today, as high winds closed lifts in that direction. Went to Leogang instead. Good skiing in the morning, and on shaded slopes in the afternoon, but the bottom of Kohlmais on the way back was a bit of a slush fest. Still warm and sunny, but it’s forecast to snow tonight.
snow report
Having been to Saalbach and staying at the Hotel Konig in early March 2016, I really didn't enjoy it. But am thinking despite my best efforts to avoid busy times I managed to coincide with the place heaving with Dutch visitors. And a long mogul fest down 2b (I think) finished me off. I'd like to give it another go but am a bit hamstrung by work getting in the way meaning that from the second week of January to the first week of February I can't go on holiday. Are there any other dates when snow conditions are good and it won't be too busy?
snow report
@kabooooooom, Who knows what the conditions will be like? From late December to late March I reckon you're guaranteed decent skiing anywhere in the area, apart from anything else due to the snowmaking capacity. As for individual weeks, we have had very warm conditions in early March, -22 in late Feb 2018, and this year in early Feb we had lots of snowfall for a couple of days and sunny relatively warm days after that. I can't remember the weather on the other weeks we've visited, but we've never been unlucky either way.
snow conditions
@kabooooooom, I've been 3 times. Twice in early January and this year at the end of January. On each occasion we've been blessed with loads of snow - especially this year when conditions were just epic. Not a great deal of sunshine admittedly BUT snow great on each visit. Trees help the vis. Stayed at the König a couple of years ago. It was ok but not great. Definitely prefer S-H to the Arlberg these days in terms of overall holiday experience
snow report
@kabooooooom, to add to the above comments we have gone the week before Christmas for the last two years and its been fabulous , great snow and uncrowded pistes, have only seen the Konig from the out side and it could do with some TLC. We also went late March this year and last and the weeks were different but still good snow, this year was warm at the end of the week but still good
snow report
Last season the most enjoyable skiing was around the middle of December, the middle of January, the middle of March, and early April.
This year was similar, except that I would say mid to late December, January and March.
There were also some fabulous conditions during February - the half term visitors struck lucky this year.
A time to avoid this season was the Fasching carnival week in early March, when many Europeans have a national holiday. I haven’t yet googled to find out which week will be Fasching week next season.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:
Last season the most enjoyable skiing was around the middle of December, the middle of January, the middle of March, and early April.
This year was similar, except that I would say mid to late December, January and March.
There were also some fabulous conditions during February - the half term visitors struck lucky this year.
A time to avoid this season was the Fasching carnival week in early March, when many Europeans have a national holiday. I haven’t yet googled to find out which week will be Fasching week next season.

25th feb is shrove tuesday next year and that I think is fasching week ,we had fun the first week of march fasching this year.The only problem was at booking time (sept) our hotel wouldnt release anything other than full weeks initially or rather sat to sat and the price reflected that , was certainly more ski schools and unusually for saalbach more kids and young teenagers but to be fair they didnt bother us but we did think that due to the unusual amount of family groups about compared to other years same week in early march the place seemed a tad less manic, our hotel had more of the little darlings racing the corridors and up and down the lift though im not whingeing ive got grandkids and now find myself almost wishing I had found saalbach when their age would have saved a lot of time and wouldnt have had to use my schoolboy french
snow report
Well I gone and done it.

We've booked an appartment in Hinterglemm, right next to the Reiterkogelbahn for next Christmas.
Counting down already!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went up late morning today (my last skiing day of the season), and did some solitary skiing around Schattberg and Zwoelferkogel. The pistes, especially 5, 6, 11 and 13a were in fantastic condition - nice, grippy, style-flattering snow, and very few people around to mess them up. I was regretting not going up earlier until I met someone who told me that early on they had been very hard and icy after a deep overnight freeze.
Later caught up with some friends having a beer stop at the Sky Rest on Schattberg and came down piste number 1 - the Schattberg black run, which seemed quite a fitting end to my season. Even in the late afternoon that run was enjoyable to ski, thanks no doubt to its northerly orientation and lack of people.
From tomorrow only the Schoenleiten and Leogang areas will be open, and from next weekend only Leogang.
The last day of my season in Saalbach has been bittersweet. It couldn’t have been nicer weather, and the pistes were nicely groomed and smooth (nothing like perfect pistes to enhance the style and feel good factor), but I always have a heavy heart and a bit of a lump in the throat as I descend that final run.
I think it’s the right time to leave - places are closing and people are leaving, and the forecast for the next few days isn’t good.
Only seven whole months until next season!
snow report
@tatmanstours, looking forward to the new thread already Cool
latest report
Yes hope to be joining ye with the kids after Christmas next year, hopefully there'll be as good a thread running here again, thanks to all who input
latest report
@tatmanstours, sounds like a perfect end to a great season.

I always try not to overthink the last run of the holiday and be sad - rather I try to be happy I had such a fantastic time and was lucky enough to be in the mountains Very Happy
latest report
@HoneyBunny, One of the benefits of skiing in April (apart from the sunny days and empty pistes) is that it seems to minimise the length of time before the start of next season Very Happy
snow conditions
Already getting wired into the Zwolfer bottom station, on the webcams.
snow conditions
Flights and accommodation booked for 2020, transfer company identified (300 euros return for upto 8, v good) but yet to book until we know if any more tagging along.....When do New lift pass prices usually get released? Seems the only variable at the moment, and there is a link to Zell to pay for!
ski holidays
As far as I'm lead to believe, the S-H lift companies will not be paying anything for the link to Zell - that will be paid for by the Zell operators. It was the same with Fieberbrunn, (indeed, I was once informed that if there was a sudden closure to the link, and people were stuck in the wrong valleys, it's Fieberbrunn's responsibility and cost to get everyone bussed home). S-H have the big area, and no real need to link up. These expansions are driven by smaller areas wanting to market themselves as being part of a big ski area. Zell in particular is seen more as a summer resort, with surplus winter accommodation to sell to tourists.

As someone who has visited S-H umpteen times, and stayed in Zell a couple of times, I'm not sure Zell will be that much more attractive a proposition with a link. To use the S-H-L-F area you will have to do exactly the same route for an hour at the start and end of each day. The beauty of staying in S-H is you are at the centre of the circus and options can be constantly open. I could travel from, say, Hinterglemm to Leogang by a variety of routes. Zell to anywhere will be repetitious.

The irony is, that although S-H may not be seeking these links, it does make the two villages ever more attractive as the central base from which the intermediate masses can plan day trips of exploration.

Incidentally, one other opinion about the Zell link -
The run into the Glemmtal, under the Zell am See express, is a red that can be quite daunting for the lower intermediates. It's also quite narrow. At the moment, that's not a problem, as the lift doesn't operate anywhere near capacity, but it's a 10 man gondola, and if the link is as popular as Zell obviously expects, (why build a 10 seater for just one run otherwise?), that's going to be a seriously crowded and potentially unpleasant piste. In it's current uncrowded state it's actually a nice run. With no queues.
snow report
@toyah807, who are you looking at for transfers? That looks a good price. Think I paid €330-360 this year (can't quite remember)
snow report
boabski wrote:
@toyah807, who are you looking at for transfers? That looks a good price. Think I paid €330-360 this year (can't quite remember)

Taking advice from the ever helpful village guide compiled by Mr Tatman a quick Internet search came up with austriatransfers.at and they are already taking bookings for next year. Perhaps time of year gave the higher figure? Or how far in advance I am booking maybe?
snow conditions
@toyah807, thanks. I've a feeling that's who I've used in past. They are very good.
latest report
@Drammeister, who did you book your apartment through? I'm looking for the pre-Christmas week and not finding much at the moment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy