Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar, what's the Muguet piste like? It didn't look too bad to me from the old Comborciere chair.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair wrote:
@rob@rar, what's the Muguet piste like? It didn't look too bad to me from the old Comborciere chair.
Fairly straightforward. Not too steep, very wide, always quiet so snow stays in good nick if conditions are a bit marginal. Only problem is the frequency with which its closed, and having to ride a very slo chairlift to get there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Alastair, steep at the top, but very nice once over the oooh shiiiiit moment. Often closed because can be prone to avalanche from skiers left.

@rob@rar, ADS called it 'The Secret Piste' in the publicity this autumn, but during the spring iirc it was referrred to as 'Lupin' (hare) - or possibly Wolf.. Some sort of animal anyway!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The map seems to indicate that coming back from 1600 side it is impossible to avoid a black at the top of the run before it splits red/black?

Leaving from 1600/1800 side to the 2000 bowl
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Muguet followed by Comborciere is one of the ways I use to get over to the 2000 bowl. However as @rob@rar, says it is often closed due to the avalanche risk from what I thought was the skiers right. The very same slope that dominates the new red piste. When open Muguet is usually straighforward and pisted with the odd stone at the top (it starts at the col). It is easier than many of the reds in Les Arcs and probably no steeper than secret. In fact I thought it would be regraded as a red for the new piste map. Since it was smooth, and usually completely empty my son used it for his top speed attempts.

@Arctic Roll, I thought lièvre was hare cos it was similar to the english word for a baby hare, leveret. During the summer I could imagine lupins growing in the Comborciere valley which sounds better than willow herb.

ps where did you get the new piste map from my search of the LesArcs web site only produced last year's
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, Comborciere is not a easy run on a snowboard so will be interested to see how the red works out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thefatcontroller wrote:
@johnE, Comborciere is not a easy run on a snowboard so will be interested to see how the red works out.
I suspect the red will be just as tricky, probably fairly narrow, maybe with a chamber. If it starts and finishes at the same point as the Comborciere black there's only so much they can do with earth moving to cut a gentler piste in to the side of the slope of a relatively narrow valley. But I guess it will be pisted more often than Comborciere, so fewer bumps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rob@rar, I'm not optimistic to be honest, the route via the top of Carelly, through Lac to Marmottes lift is quite nice for tired legs but can see the new lift as a better way out that in to the 2000 bowl. For us on boards we see the new Carelly lift as the best change of late. From the top to bottom of that is great fun and normally a very quiet lift.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller wrote:
For us on boards we see the new Carelly lift as the best change of late.
Yes, that was a great addition to the lift network. Much easier to get to the 2000 bowl from the Vallandry side.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is interesting coming down Comborciere just after it has been pisted you realise just how steep it is. The new red looks just as steep.
@thefatcontroller, I read a guide to snowboarding in the Alps which described Comborciere ah 2km of hell. Some pistes suit snowboards others skis.

http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/medium/20181118_132225.jpg

The new piste follows the scree slope to the left. It appears white in the picture. It is scree not snow. The Comborciere piste follows the valley to the right just touched by shadow. You can see just what a risk of avalanche the new piste is exposed to.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnE wrote:

ps where did you get the new piste map from my search of the LesArcs web site only produced last year's

I think I got it from the Les Arcs website - but the new website does, indeed, show an older map.

Alternative location here:

https://www.peisey-vallandry.com/medias/images/info_pages/planpistesparadiskiactualise2019-5-hd-1400.pdf
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
It is interesting coming down Comborciere just after it has been pisted you realise just how steep it is. The new red looks just as steep.
@thefatcontroller, I read a guide to snowboarding in the Alps which described Comborciere ah 2km of hell. Some pistes suit snowboards others skis.

http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/medium/20181118_132225.jpg

The new piste follows the scree slope to the left. It appears white in the picture. It is scree not snow. The Comborciere piste follows the valley to the right just touched by shadow. You can see just what a risk of avalanche the new piste is exposed to.

When does this mythical pisteing of Comboriere take place? In around 35 years of visiting for at least 3 weeks every season I've never seen this! Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair, Thanks for that. I notice that the Deux Tetes piste has now disappeared.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

When does this mythical pisteing of Comboriere take place? In around 35 years of visiting for at least 3 weeks every season I've never seen this!

You will notice that it is not marked Nutur on the piste map. Usually we see it early in the season around Christmas. I think they do it only once or twice a season
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wills_h wrote:
When does this mythical pisteing of Comboriere take place? In around 35 years of visiting for at least 3 weeks every season I've never seen this! Smile
Laughing

I've seen it pisted twice. Awesome for performance short radius turns. But generally it's not a piste I find especially enjoyable. The red piste looks dumb to me, something which might look good on the piste map, but in reality there shouldn't be there at all.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
wills_h wrote:
Laughing

I've seen it pisted twice. Awesome for performance short radius turns. But generally it's not a piste I find especially enjoyable. The red piste looks dumb to me, something which might look good on the piste map, but in reality there shouldn't be there at all.

I suppose they have done it to make financial sense of upgrading Comborciere lift? If its a new lift to the top of a very tough black or a flat run around to 1600 it doesn't make it that great an investment?
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
I suppose they have done it to make financial sense of upgrading Comborciere lift? If its a new lift to the top of a very tough black or a flat run around to 1600 it doesn't make it that great an investment?
Perhaps. I similarly think the red down from Grand Col is equally pointless.
ski holidays
Quote:

It was done to make the return to 1600 and especially the new Club Med easier. The old Comborciere lift was very slow and tended to have big queues towards the end of the day as people returned to 1600 or Bourg. I really do not see the point of the new red but will reserve judgement until I have been down it. It might be my very first run of the 2018/9 season (well if you don't count Muguret to get into it)
Quote:

Perhaps. I similarly think the red down from Grand Col is equally pointless.

TBH I very rarely do it. Refuge or the off piste between refuge and the red are much nicer. However it has been there a long time - since when it was served by the drag lift and I suspect the lift company doesn't like the idea of a lift only serving a single black piste, albeit an easy one.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, @johnE, find the Grand Col a really cold spot and the run to and from it in the bowl flatish, been years since we’ve gone near it
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
TBH I very rarely do it. Refuge or the off piste between refuge and the red are much nicer. However it has been there a long time - since when it was served by the drag lift and I suspect the lift company doesn't like the idea of a lift only serving a single black piste, albeit an easy one.
Yes, agreed, and it makes sense regarding one lift serving a single piste. It's great terrain after fresh snow, and like you I rarely bother with the red.

thefatcontroller, I appreciate Grand Col is a PITA to get to on a board. It's often a frustrating skate on skis, but when you get to the chairlift it's worth the effort.
snow report
@rob@rar, agreed, and the stuff off to skiers left is worth the effort. the Red road down to where it rejoins refuge is a pita tho.

@johnE, you could be right (!) I may have my lupin and lapin, rabbit and hare and leveret all mixed up, (like me toasties [v. old joke...])
snow report
Getting closer to the lifts opening and i can't stop looking at the piste map, trying to work out where to ski.

What is your favourite parts of the map? Favourite run? Favourite loop?

Where do you go when the snow is bad? Where is best in the morning?

Anything to avoid?
snow conditions
@Gear_Junkie, It depends.

If the snow is good then Malgovert and Comborciere are excellent. I also like the off piste beneath the Arcabule chir. Last season I did Violettes for the first time and really enjoyed it, but it was the first time I recall it being open. But I do like the occaision blasting run such as Bellette towards Vallandry. Combe, or Cachette (It used to be my favourite run in the resort, but now I find it a bit boring and go for Arolle instead). However to tell the truth we tend to just cruise around doing whatever takes our fancy. For example a run from the Grand Col all the way down to Pre st Espiritup the Comborciere chair and down to 1600or Col du Chal to Vallandy.

If we are out late in the season then we head for the East facing runs first - Comborciere from the Clocherette chair lift or Ours. Then do the West facing ones in the afternoon such as those leading into Arc 1800. The Arc 2000 bowl tends to get a bit crowded so over the 1600/1800 side tends to offer some excellent skiing. It is amazing how often we end up pootling down Gollet at the end of the day (my wife tells me it has been renamed, but I don't know the new name).

Now to the route I am not kean on:

All the runs from the mid station at on the Transarc to Arc 1800, the run from the bottom of Derby to 1800 - the wash boards really hurt my knees, Foret down to Vallandry it just goes on for ever and of course Clocheret Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thanks for the reply. I am going back to looking at the piste map to find all of these runs.
snow conditions
Looks as if it (that is, the new red skirtng Combouciere) is to be called "Le Secret" A red 2km run with 500m vertical ' through the forest'. Less than weeks, and I'll let you all know!
snow conditions
Back to mooching through Snowheads for me during lunchtime as the season approaches (I take a sabbatical during the summer months !). So, i'm now all caught up and ready for the 5 months of entertainment this forum provides...

Delighted to see they replaced Comborciere. As my kids have progressed, over the past few years, we used this lift for the first time as a family last season - but only bothered the once due to the slowness. From our standard warm up down the blue from 2000/1950, this now gives us an alternative to the new Pre-St-Esprit lift back up and a quick route over to 1600.

Now, to seek wisdom and opinion from the collective....

After a number of years with Esprit to Arc2000 whilst the kids were smaller - we are going self-drive this year, with a plan to stay in 1950. (Apartments are still available)

I was planning 6th to 13th April. But the other family we are travelling with are suggesting we go the week later, 13th to 20th - which encompasses Good Friday.

Past 3 years we have travelled 10th, 9th and 8th April (kind of 'the week before')... and had "ok", "poor", and "great" conditions respectively. (which you all will correlate with the conditions of the '16, '17 and '18 seasons)

I know it's a complete punt in the dark - but what do folks think are the pros and cons of going for the later week ?

Thanks!
ski holidays
@Richie_S, Some thoughts:

The Easter holidays are seldom that busy in Les Arc so overlapping with Good Friday should not be a problem for crowds. The week after, the last week of the seaon, may be busier One week later could produce poorer conditions or even better conditions but in general the snow would be slightly less. There are sources of historic data to help you with your choice see for example https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs/history, http://www.myweather2.com/Ski-Resorts/France/Les-Arcs/historical-snow-data.aspx etc.
If you are self driving you could approach the agency you have hired from and arrange to stay over to the bank holiday and get a couple extra days in for not much extra cost.

Personaly, I would go the later week, but then we get good friday off work so it consumes less of my annual leave.

ps I have spent many a hapy hour on the Comborciere lift watching the antic below.
snow conditions
Richie_S wrote:
I was planning 6th to 13th April. But the other family we are travelling with are suggesting we go the week later, 13th to 20th - which encompasses Good Friday.

And why are they suggesting that?

Will any of you be skiing off piste?

How much skiing do you do?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, accommodation seems cheaper, only 4 days leave required, one of their childs birthday is on the 6th, so they don't want to be driving all day!

Youngish families (13 to 6 yr old) - so no to off-piste, and not expecting it either week unless there is an odd dump ( as we had in 2016) and even then only 'near-piste off-piste' nonsense!

Skiing.... er, the other father and I both snowboard, as does my wife. The other wife, and all the kids are on ski's (I'm not encouraging them to board 'til they are competent skiers)

I am up and out 9 til 4 or 5 kinda person... acknowledging that the first hour or two will be boiler plate and from 1 to 2 onwards it will be getting slushy...

@johnE, that's helpful... thanks. Wasn't sure if there would be a last minute 'rush'... One day less leave to take and slightly cheaper accommodation (which will then duly spend on extra lunches or evenings out!) may swing it the later week. It looks like resort will remain open for a further week after?
snow report
Can i use the funicular for free on a season pass before the 15th? If not is there an easy way between bourg and the other resorts? Buses?
latest report
@Richie_S, I do know that the bookings in 1950 for that week in April are down on last year, but strangely the second week that you are looking at, are already up. Go figure. So you may find yourself constrained by apartment choice if you wait much longer. (Last week of opening is 21 - 28th April).

As per the others, I don't think it will make a great deal of difference to snow conditions - if the season is good, they'll both be good, and vice versa. What may be different is the driving conditions, and that very odd sensation of going past the Bourg camping grounds full of tents, bikes and swimsuits, while you head up to the mountain in search of snow.

Ref April slush: you'll be OK in the 2000 / 1950 valley, as long as you are ready for it, but going down to 1800 or lower on that side of the mountain for anything after 2pm gets really quite mucky. Unless yo;ve got really strong thighs, avoid.

@Gear_Junkie, not sure that the funi opens before the season (15th Dec.)? Where are you trying to get to/from?
snow conditions
@Richie_S, we've gone when the schools break up before Easter 8 of the last 9 years. I think the 9th April is the latest we've gone out. I would say on three of those occasions I've been glad that we weren't coming out the next week because of the detioration in conditions and as a consequence the increasing number of piste closures. In all cases I'm talking about the weather being roasting, lower pistes closed and upper ones real slushy. The other 5 conditions were still good and it probably wouldn't have mattered. Not particularly trying to persuade you were one or the other. It's just my experience. I will probably be going out next spring and will look to get out asap, which for us will be April 6th.

When the kids were younger it didn't matter too much because we wouldn't be doing much off the piste but even then it became quite difficult on some slopes. And now they are 13 and 11 respectively we're becoming a bit more snow sensitive because we like to ski off piste.
snow report
@Artic Roll I am travelling out to Bourg on the 1st of December for the season and just want to know if I will be able to have a look around all of the locations further up the mountain.

When I did a season 10+ years ago in Courchevel I remember them opening a couple of lifts before the season started. I was hoping I would be able to do something similar this time around.

I guess I could always walk up?
snow conditions
Gear_Junkie wrote:
Can i use the funicular for free on a season pass before the 15th? If not is there an easy way between bourg and the other resorts? Buses?

Starts on the 15th and looks like the buses start on the 16th.

https://en.lesarcs.com/prepare-your-stay/to-move.html

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 28-11-18 11:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Gear_Junkie, I think there is a scheduled bus service run by Altibus from Bourg Saint Maurice (train station) up to Les Arcs. It's a much reduced timetable outside of the winter and summer seasons, but I think it runs three or four times per day.

Failing that, you'd probably have a bit of luck hitching a lift up to the resort, its a bit of a walk otherwise!
latest report
@rob@rar, I think I need to see those navete timetables for the first week of the season that they promise " prochainment": would feel a bit foolish getting to 1600 on the 15th, and then having to wait for a taxi to get to 1950!

@Gear_Junkie, agree with Rob, hitching may be your best bet. It's a 15km uphill slog otherwise...
latest report
@Arctic Roll, best of luck navigating around the new Les Arcs website. It's shockingly bad. All gloss, but hopeless navigation and difficult to find the info that's there. When will ski resorts learn...
snow report
The Navette timetables are on the link I posted above - just click on the tabs. Smile
snow conditions
Scamper wrote:
The Navette timetables are on the link I posted above - just click on the tabs. Smile
I've just tried to find if there is a reduced timetable operating in the first week of the season. Endlessly frustrating. Was so bad I've just emailed the Tourist Office to say I think their redesign is much worse than last year's version of the website (which I didn't think was great).
ski holidays
did they have little moving chair lift chairs on the website one year which let you navigate to different areas, but were very difficult to click on, or am I just imagining that?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy