Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go pro - anyone using?

Poster: A snowHead
doddsie wrote:
Has anyone got any experience of filming people skiing moguls with a Go-Pro? I do a short edit of my son each year to track his progress from season to season, but can never get any footage of him doing steep mogul runs.
Don't use a GoPro, use a camcorder with a zoom lens.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How much of a zoom do you need? Also lens zoom or digital zoom? Just wondering how expensive a camera you need.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not done it but a tracking drone would be just the thing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
doddsie wrote:
How much of a zoom do you need? Also lens zoom or digital zoom? Just wondering how expensive a camera you need.
Any cheap camcorder will do a better job than a GoPro if you are looking to do some sort of motion analysis. Just had a quick look on Amazon, they have a Warehouse Deal for a Canon R806 camcorder which will do the job, currently £135. Big zoom, image stabilisation, slo-mo video, etc.

The problem with GoPro is that you really need to be skiing behind or in front of the skier you are trying to record to see what's going on, otherwise they are just a dot in the distance. A traditional camcorder means you can zoom in and follow them as the ski towards you, keeping the skier large in the frame as well as having steady footage so you can see what's going on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks and that makes sense.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
mishmash wrote:
Which Gimbal are you using with the session ?
Feiyutech WG2

Ta - how do you keep it all on ? do you have a pic of the setup?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mishmash wrote:
Ta - how do you keep it all on ? do you have a pic of the setup?
No photos of my own showing the setup I'm afraid. It's a bit too big and clumsy to keep on all day, but if you want some super smooth footage it's OK to wear for a short while. The gimbal has a standard GoPro mount, so it can be worn on a chest harness, or can be attached to the front of a helmet. Having to purposefully decide when to wear it and when not to probably forces you to be selective with what you record, rather than having hours of tedious footage that not even you want to watch.

Here's a photo, not mine, showing the setup.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
doddsie wrote:
Has anyone got any experience of filming people skiing moguls with a Go-Pro? I do a short edit of my son each year to track his progress from season to season, but can never get any footage of him doing steep mogul runs.

You can do it with a gopro, but need to be skiing very close to them!

http://youtube.com/v/l-6RiAJX8jI&t=62s
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I feel filming skiing with Gopro is better with the skiers coming towards you
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
You can do it with a gopro, but need to be skiing very close to them!
Yes, although that's not great footage for analysing what's going on and it relies on the skier with the camera being better than the skier they are filming. If you mainly want record footage to examine ski technique there are better and cheaper solutions than a GoPro, but if it's a broader part of a holiday you are filming then the GoPro is a reasonable compromise especially if you do as kitenski did and follow closely behind or in front of the skier. Here's one we made earlier wink

http://youtube.com/v/zNhy2-kBUiw&t=12s&frags=pl%2Cwn

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 11-09-18 11:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gordyjh wrote:
I feel filming skiing with Gopro is better with the skiers coming towards you

not sure I agree as they start off as tiny dots unless you are moving next to them....

not great skiing but as Rob says best results with a "proper" video camera - this was done with a proper handheld camcorder and optical zoom

http://youtube.com/v/P67Dwms-hIg

although a phone works ok, and newer devices have optical zoom

http://youtube.com/v/2zzq1QjZdtI

Basically work out what you want from the video I'd say, a momento to watch is very different from decent quality for in depth analysis...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kittenski - Yes that's the problem I have using the Gopro, can't keep him in the centre of the picture and it gets even more difficult on bigger and steeper bumps. (refering to your 1st video)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
doddsie wrote:
Kittenski - Yes that's the problem I have using the Gopro, can't keep him in the centre of the picture and it gets even more difficult on bigger and steeper bumps. (refering to your 1st video)

I think the specific problem here is that on moguls, the camera man needs to be looking at the moguls/path, rather than the subject.

I've just bought this mount for an imminent windsurfing holiday. With a modern, stabilised 4K Virb or Go Pro, I think there could be some ski/boarding application too. I just need to find a way of mounting it so I don't have to wear my windsurf harness!

http://youtube.com/v/Ru9FBoXo1WE
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bar shaker, there are a couple of makes of those that sit in a rucksack type harness, I'll see if I can dig them out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just a long shot here before I advertise sometime etc - does anyone want a Go pro kit complete with a load of SD memory cards/ chest harness, various batteries/ mounts etc, genuinely hardly used. Its about 3-4 years old and i'd say its been used for about 3 days maximum, and even then only for 1-2 ski runs before I got fed up and put it away! Excellent condition. I just cant be bothered messing with it, I prefer stills anyway. Happy to supply proper details and photos if anyone wants to PM me. Its a 3+ black I think, as new condition.....I know things might have moved on but if someones after a really good kit for a family member etc then it might be of use and we can do a deal?
snow report
If theres nothing on telly watching Go Pro footage of your favourite ski resort on You Tube is always good for a laugh / cry / shout at the idiots Very Happy
snow report
For those interested thenew gopro lineup is announced tomorrow afternoon.
ski holidays
doddsie wrote:

Yes, attach it to a drone.
ski holidays
New gopro line up released for pre-order, webcast presentation at 4pm today on investor.gopro.com

Gopro7 black 379.99

Gopro7 silver 279.99

Gopro7 white 179.99

No real game changers as expected.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy