Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OH Wants To Learn

Poster: A snowHead
Fat George wrote:
++This especially: in my experience, the best things your friends can do for you when you’re an absolute beginner, are not teaching you to ski as such: they’re helping you with the strangeness of the equipment, reminding you how - and when - to get on and off a chair lift or a drag, deciding where you should ski, choosing routes and coffee/lunch stops, making sure you don’t get lost, picking you up and collecting your equipment, smiles and encouragement, covering your back against the idiots, and most of all simply being there with you as good company while you’re racking up all those hours on the snow you need to do to find your ski legs yourself. Take the weight off the beginner. Are you up for it, and if not, have you or she got some mates who are?

Definitely agree with this. Good advice IMO.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think that anyone can really give advice without knowing the OH involved; and neither of you will really know what will be best without her first having tried skiing (so an intensive learn to ski day in a dome is a good start) and then experiencing it for real in a real resort.

One big tip: make sure her boots are comfy and right, else that's ruined holiday one way or another and enough to put anyone off.

I would book a week in a resort with many easy runs, and plan for a fun week with your OH, full stop. Most novice skiers who enjoy the activity will gamely, and hopefully safely, attempt and make it down any reasonable run - not technically well, but that's all part of the experience. You job is to encourage, laugh at the appropriate times, support, reassure, patiently wait, carry equipment, provide advice that will be expected (don't care if you don't want to, she will most likely expect you to help and answer questions - you are after all the 'expert' here) and generally keep her within her comfort zone. She might even end up wanting to get down that lovely-looking black run on her 1st day (as I did - but I was only 17, wouldn't do that now...) Or she might want to practice her snowplough turns or spend a lot of time in the restaurant or bar (or not). Who yet knows?
If she wants lessons in resort then that's mornings or specific slots (depending on if group/private) where you are alone, otherwise you probably will be enjoying her company all the time as you enjoy the mountains together in whatever manner suits you both. Then again, she might be heartily sick of you and tell you to P-Off whilst she enjoys her own thing (if it was me, that's depend on tiredness and frustration levels). I don't know her, you or your relationship now, never mind when the almost-inevitable 'tantrums' of learning kick in.
If on a bash, though I've never been, I bet she'll find people whom she can ski with too, of varying standards, and will improve quickly.
If with you, and has an aptitude and love for it, I bet she'll improve quickly too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for all the responses... my thoughts:

Themasterpiece wrote:
If you don’t mind slumbing it a little, UCPA (Action Outdoors) with a twin room, could work.

I had given this one some thought for sure. I think the main flaw here is that, truth be told, I want to go skiing because I am a total snowHead and I love skiing. MrsDP does want to learn to ski and enjoy it as a sport, but for her, it's definitely as much about the holiday as it is the skiing. As a result, much as I enjoy UCPA myself, I do not see her being impressed by the concept of us spending our holiday money on a week in a hostel with twin beds and self-service buffet food...

nigelg wrote:
The PSB would be ideal. Your OH can take lessons in the morning, and ski with her new snowHead friends in the afternoon, or with you. As long as she has grasped the basics, that is, linked snowplough turns, she will be fine on the bash. Tignes has loads of easy beginner slopes, easily reached from the Marmottes or Borsat lift via Fresse. There are blue runs to return to Val Claret or Le Lac, or a download on a gondola to either.
Naturally there is any amount of more advanced terrain for you to blast round.

Thanks. PSB had occurred to me as a possible but I've never done it so I had wondered what the availability of beginner-end lessons was going to be like.

PSB seems good as it's a great value week, in a resort with a lot of variety. So it'll definitely get a look. Sadly the dates are much more difficult for me to commit to with work, than Jan/Feb, though.

Gämsbock wrote:
So, has your girlfriend got a mate that wants to learn?

I don't know if she does to be honest, and even if she did, I don't know that I have enough friends to get a private place and pay for a guide. Whilst I appreciate the idea, I'm almost certainly that we are looking to join groups, rather than create them.

Gämsbock wrote:
I'm in two minds about the fridge thing. I made huge progress on shorts skiing regularly at Hemel a few years ago. But, I had already skied a lot and definitely had the bug. I was driven to improve and that motivated me to keep going. But I hate skiing indoors. I mean, really hate it. I can't imagine I would have been motivated to learn in that environment as a beginner before I became obsessed. So I see the rationale that it's nice to get the basics so you can progress faster when on the mountain, but equally I think it's a lot nicer to learn in the mountains! As long as you pick a school that has enough classes running and is flexible about moving people according to progression then I think learning on mountain is fine.

Same. I think it's easy for people who really had a drive to learn skiing, for skiing's sake, to say "spend all your time in a fridge until you are awesome". But it is not so easy to tell somebody who wants to have a nice holiday in the mountains - with all the things that mountains come with - that in order for them to be able to come skiing, they first need to spend all of their spare time in a giant air conditioning unit with no view, no mountain restaurant, no cosy evenings in the chalet... etc etc. We do have to remember that not everyone goes skiing because they want to be a gnarly-AF ski legend, some people just enjoy mountains and skiing between them.

Mike Pow wrote:
Choose to go in late Winter / early Spring when the days are longer, sunnier & warmer.

My only reservation about this is that if she gets the bug for it, there's pretty limited time remaining to get a second trip in that season.

Quote:
Get private am lessons for your OH and leave her in capable hands.

Or accompany her on the private lesson to document her progress - pics and video. You really have to know your OH for this but it does show her progress on a daily basis and can create a wonderful memento of her first week on snow. Tread lightly.

If you don't accompany her, go play.

Private lessons will be a struggle for us. We can't afford that. I know people will say "yes but the value for money" etc etc... but seriously, we can't afford it.
Sadly it will need to be group lessons on our budget.

NickyJ wrote:
I would highly recommend a course of lessons before going the first time. If she is not convinced - the reason is that any new sporting activity requires slightly different muscles, doing a 6 week course for an hour a week (for example) will start to exercise and build those muscles, going straight in 6hrs a day everyday for a week will wear out and strain those muscles.

Completely agree and I've always wanted this. I want to make sure that (a) she actually likes it sufficiently to spend on a holiday; (b) she can do the most basic thing so that time on the mountain is spent skiing actual pistes, not going up and down the nursery slope 300 times; and (c) that as you say, it'll give a chance for those ski-specific muscles to develop just enough that the first week on snow isn't completely exhausting.

Quote:
Would have thought Chamonix or Les Get would equally suit but I haven’t been there yet.

I am a regular in Chamonix and I would not consider it a good place for beginner skiers to develop. There's a lot of challenging terrain, but also the whole process of sitting on buses between ski areas and then the inevitable big queue for the lift when the bus dumps it's load on the doorstep of the gondola just makes the whole thing a bit demotivating in my experience... it's bad enough for experienced skiers who know the off-piste havens that await at the top, but for beginners I think they'd just be fed up already.

Realistically in that part of the world, I think if I'd do anything it'd be Evasion Mt Blanc - ie St Gervais, Megeve and Les Contamines. Or perhaps even trusty old Les Houches, with a single day trip into Cham or Courmayeur.

element wrote:
I brought my OH to Livigno for the first time in 2012. She'd never been on skis. I got her and her friend into the standard group lessons and they ended up in a group with 3 or 4 others. I think they paid under 100 euro for the week, for about 2 or 3 hours each morning. As far as I could see, the instruction was great. They both loved it and came on rapidly.

I do get what you're saying. The reason Livigno is a toss up for me, is that whilst I don't like the resort (and my skis don't fit in the gondola or the slots on the side, which makes navigation a bit tricky) or the transfer; the standard of instruction that I observed was extremely good. The instructors were far more energetic and enthused than any that I had witnessed in France, and seemed really driven to push people to achieve (where the bulk of the ESF I've met seem relatively nonchalant about it all). I really liked the format of the lessons that I saw on the MYAsHBash, and it was really clear that people were having a good time and feeling good about skiing. I also liked the ease with which the "smart-alec" snowheads could integrate with the "noobie" snowheads in the afternoons... so honestly it is not a clear cut thing for me. If we could get that style of instruction and group dynamic, in Alleghe or Arabba, it'd be a done deal.

Gämsbock wrote:
@dp, on the subject of bashses, I am not sure the main bashes are ideal until she is at least early L4 on the snowheads scale and will be confidently coping with group lessons. Once there, they are perfect as again you have the group lessons set up at the right level with other snowheads and ready made ski partners. I was in an apartment with a never ever on the EoSB a few years ago and I didn't get the impression it really worked out.

But, you could get her to learn the basics in the fridge, then do a week in the mountains to get up to parallel, then do the EoSB.

The good thing about bashes, in my mind, is that everyone is super friendly and there are a really broad range of abilities. So it'd be easy for her to ski with others at a similar level, easy for us to ski together some of the time too, and easy for me to hang with more advanced skiers and do silly things when she's in lessons or hangin' with the noobs. Bashes are also typically good value for money (we are not a high income couple), and with a nice balance of support in the right places (for ski hire, instruction, transport, local knowledge etc) but still freedoms to play it as you wish.

I don't think, with the exception of MYAsHBash, I'd bring a 'never before' skier to a bash. But if we can get her linking snowplough turns with reasonable confidence, I think it could be plausible.
I am also acutely aware that skiing is a sport for me, but it will likely be a holiday for her. I'm going to try not to surround her with too many serious snowHeads!

Layne wrote:
Do you only ski at bashes or do you do other trips?

Me personally, mainly bashes. See above.

Quote:

To me it seems you are overcomplicating things but then I don't do bashes. Before I had children I would just go on different group trips with friends or friends of friends. If a beginner came along, they'd just do morning lessons and ski with some of the group in the afternoon. The first time I skied I went with a mate. I did lessons in the morning and we skied together in the afternoon.

I don't think I'm overcomplicating anything. I have reasons for wanting to do things a particular way, but opened it up here to others' ideas.

What I'm looking for is essentially what you said, but just preferably, when she's in her morning lessons, I have something to occupy myself with rather than just skiing around on my own. Although I do fully accept that skiing alone is not always a bad thing and can help improvement a lot, it's just whether I really want to do it 6 days running. I'm also aware of the possibility that she might want to have an afternoon or two off from being tired - but I'll want to ski that time as well. She'll happily sit in the spa by herself, that's not an issue, but I don't really want to risk having to spend a significant amount of my week skiing on my own.

adithorp wrote:

With that in mind the MyasH at Livigno (if it's on) starts to work but I understand your reservations. Alternative bashes would mean arranging your own lessons but that's not beyond you. PreBB might work. Short transfer, bus to/from lifts, good food on and off the mountain, not too big a group etc.

If I could suss group lessons on the PreBB it'd be a win. But I'm mindful that we're the only English people in resort so I don't know what the availability of English-spoken group lessons are going to be. If we had the finances for private lessons, it'd be a lot easier. But it needs to be group lessons, sadly. Which at the moment is why I think French Alps is possibly going to be an easier option than Dolomites.

Scarlet wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing You forgot the late-night "debating", oversized yard sales and blue-run meltdowns!

He didn't mention getting tangled in a green run fence and looking like a fish stuck in a trawler net though did he? Because nobody would ever do that...

@dp, Personally, I find it best to go on a bash with your partner, then not see them for the entire week except at tea time. The complete lack of encounters reduces the available time for disagreements to pretty much zero Toofy Grin[/quote]

I know that this is yours and Nick's secret to a happy relationship and did not forget your advice!

RichClark wrote:

I would select a nice chalet in a great resort in the Easter time frame, and invest in small group lessons in the morning, great mountain lunches and then some nice fun cruising in the afternoon.

Well that basically sounds like EOSB!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Echoing @jjams82, point; Be careful what you wish for.

A friend of mine a few years ago talked her none skiing partner into booking a ski holiday. He to a fridge to learn on a one day course and did a few practice evenings and got to the point of being almost parallel turning before they went. He spent most of the first day in resort falling down the mountain but by the end of the week was doing OK and was hooked. They went away 1 or 2 times a season after that and after a couple of trips was getting around the mountain as well as her. They had a great time. She hasn't been skiing for the last 5 seasons though and I did five weeks last winter... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@dp, thanks, that is good to know about Chamonix I had got that impression from the piste map and had been thinking it might be a good place to take the our girls... probably not. Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, it's a nice resort and the town is brilliant. It's a very genuine town that doesn't feel manufactured like the big-name ski resorts, and there's lots of nice restaurants / shops / etc.

There is lots of good skiing nearby, so if you take a car, it's totally plausible to stay in Cham and ski around it. You could do a day or two in Chamonix easily (especially if you drive and can avoid the buses) as there's still plenty nice things to ski. But realistically, I think offerings are far better in Courmayeur (half hour drive maybe, through MB tunnel), Evasion MB (St Gervais, Megeve, Les Cont) and Verbier.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dp wrote:
I don't think I'm overcomplicating anything. I have reasons for wanting to do things a particular way, but opened it up here to others' ideas.

Err sorry but I think you are because you then go onto say:

dp wrote:
What I'm looking for is essentially what you said, but just preferably, when she's in her morning lessons, I have something to occupy myself with rather than just skiing around on my own.

Basically you are fully dependent/immersed in the Bashes and therefore have no access to other self organised trips with family or friends. That may not be true but how it comes across to me. I'm not sure I see a way around that one. Aside from... don't some of the people that go on Bashes (that you've become friends with) go on their own trips too? Trips that you could hook up with?

dp wrote:
Although I do fully accept that skiing alone is not always a bad thing and can help improvement a lot, it's just whether I really want to do it 6 days running. I'm also aware of the possibility that she might want to have an afternoon or two off from being tired - but I'll want to ski that time as well. She'll happily sit in the spa by herself, that's not an issue, but I don't really want to risk having to spend a significant amount of my week skiing on my own.

If you stay in a chalet there is a fair chance you can hook up with some of the other guests. Also if you go to a lot of the main French skiing areas there are likely to be SH's you can meet up with. And finally, do you ski off piste? If so join up with a guided group for a couple of mornings?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Drop the fear of skiing on your own. Pick a resort with a good english speaking ski school and you can always take lessons yourself (if the have a ski warranty speedster group) or find other sHs in resort that week or just ski on your own - it really isn't that bad particularly if you ski to use my current most hated term with "mindfulness".

But doing this with a TO chalet as suggested above increases your chances of finding some people to ski with.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:
@dp, assuming that this is not just an 'imaginary friend' then this thread is useless without pictures!

I presume you are thinking of someone like this:

but she's actually more like this

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Layne wrote:
Basically you are fully dependent/immersed in the Bashes and therefore have no access to other self organised trips with family or friends. That may not be true but how it comes across to me. I'm not sure I see a way around that one. Aside from... don't some of the people that go on Bashes (that you've become friends with) go on their own trips too? Trips that you could hook up with?

I wouldn't say that. I've not at any point stipulated that it has to be a bash. I did a self-organised trip to Chamonix last year and used the snowHeads list of who's where to find people in resort, most days.

So I'm not against it at all. I just like bashes. Just because you don't go to them, you shouldn't take it as being a bad option.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dp wrote:

but she's actually more like this

A bluenose wearing her little brother's kit?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like you, I'm not high income, hence my joining the CF to save a few quid (30%). They have deals on at the moment for the three courses they do. They're offering their all day (6 hour) courses for £75. As you know these prices will go up as we head towards winter. That's why I squeezed them all in during the summer.

Once I'd done the three courses; which were all around £50-£55 with membership discount; I only went to the CF once a month for a four hour stint, and being a member that only cost me between £19 and £26 a month, depending upon the time of year.

The big plus she has is that you can ski; and are there to give her helpful little pointers, as you gave me at the ski test.

It doesn't matter if you (as you say) have a few bad skiing habits. As a noobie I never really bothered to study and copy how other people skied. Put a 100 people on the slope and chances are you'll have 100 different styles. The big plus is you know "how" you should ski, and what you "should" be doing. Putting it into practice is something else.

All the best with it and I hope she takes to it like a duck to water. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Quote:

Gämsbock wrote:
So, has your girlfriend got a mate that wants to learn?

Dp wrote:
I don't know if she does to be honest, and even if she did, I don't know that I have enough friends to get a private place and pay for a guide. Whilst I appreciate the idea, I'm almost certainly that we are looking to join groups, rather than create them.

I get that the maybe-MYASH in a slightly different location would be ideal, but in the event you can't find something suitable, you might still be able to make the above work. If you can get a group of 4, of whom 2 beginners, you can book into an apartment/shared chalet and then into separate lessons/guided groups according to ability. No private guide required. Otherwise DoTM's suggestion of booking onto a TO week for beginners and just join a local guided group yourself.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

and my skis don't fit in the gondola or the slots on the side, which makes navigation a bit tricky)

Yea, the Carosello 3000 was a total pain with big skis, but they completely rebuilt it last year and it's now a dream. If you do change your mind and end up in Livigno, I can personally recommend Stefano and Fill from the Scuola Sci Italiana at lift Doss, or Domenico from the Centrale school. At 90 euro for a 2 hour private lesson it's hard to beat. Good luck with it wherever you go and I hope she takes to it!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dp wrote:
I wouldn't say that. I've not at any point stipulated that it has to be a bash.

I know but you confirmed you mostly ski Bashes and therefore don't have regular groups that you've skied with.

dp wrote:
I did a self-organised trip to Chamonix last year and used the snowHeads list of who's where to find people in resort, most days.

So, why can't you just do that again but in a resort more suitable to the OH?

dp wrote:
So I'm not against it at all. I just like bashes. Just because you don't go to them, you shouldn't take it as being a bad option.

I never said it was a bad option. I have no experience of them or offered a view on them.

Anyhow, my input was to explore other ideas for you, which I have done. Hope you get something sorted Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
element wrote:
Quote:

and my skis don't fit in the gondola or the slots on the side, which makes navigation a bit tricky)

Yea, the Carosello 3000 was a total pain with big skis, but they completely rebuilt it last year and it's now a dream. If you do change your mind and end up in Livigno, I can personally recommend Stefano and Fill from the Scuola Sci Italiana at lift Doss, or Domenico from the Centrale school. At 90 euro for a 2 hour private lesson it's hard to beat. Good luck with it wherever you go and I hope she takes to it!

That's great news about the gondola! Thanks

With lessons, EUR90 for 2 hours private lesson is indeed good value but we can't afford it. If she had a 2 hour lesson each day of the week, we'd have to spend 540 euros on just the tuition.

2 seasons ago, sH ran the MYAsHBash at about £700 all in - accom / food / hire / lift pass / 6 days of lessons. So to be fair, if I go back to Livigno at all (which I'm not fond on), it'll be for the MYAsH.
latest report
Layne wrote:

So, why can't you just do that again but in a resort more suitable to the OH?

I can. That's why I asked the question about what options people think I've got. Little Angel
snow report
Will add my experience here, as my OH and I were in a slightly similar situation a few years ago – he was a snowboarder with many weeks under his belt, while I was going on my first trip.

I know it's been said a lot on this thread already, but from personal experience I'd also recommend the Chill Factore all-day beginner courses. This time of year is perfect for learning the basics there – as Awdbugga says, it will be very cheap both for the lessons and also the monthly passes, which I found handy as I went a few times to practise after I'd completed the courses, and is also pretty quiet. I was really grateful for the stuff I'd done there because it meant I could enjoy the easier slopes straight away – although had a bit of a surprise when I went on my first lift in resort, a button that was much more violent than the tame, slow Chill Factore one, and it promptly spat me off Toofy Grin that particular lift has now been replaced!

We picked Alpe D'Huez for a number of reasons (big enough for OH to have lots to do, and also a new place for him to try; loads of green runs in the bowl just above resort for me; other activities in case I didn't want to ski all week*; not as expensive as some of the larger French resorts) and it was perfect for us. Those green runs are really wide and forgiving and don't take you too far from resort, so I felt comfortable skiing on my own straight away – when I got more confident later in the week, there were lots of blues and reds to progress to, many of which led to other small satellites/villages so you got a nice sense of travel. Think I had about three small group lessons with Masterclass, who come highly recommended on here – I believe they don't take complete beginners, but Stuart was happy to take someone at my level. I was in a group of three (all of a similar standard) and we had a great time/skied together outside the lessons on at least one occasion. I also remember one of the other people in the lesson had a partner who was much more advanced and had lessons with one of the other Masterclass instructors (Mel?) at the same time as our lessons, so that worked out well for them – from what I recall, Masterclass also weren't very expensive considering how small the groups were.

Generally my OH and I spent some time together and some time doing our own thing, meeting up at various stages throughout the day – which we still do now, as I'm a slow, on-piste pootler and he's much faster and likes to go off-piste – it suits us fine (neither of us mind skiing/snowboarding on our own for part of the day) but from what you've said, perhaps that wouldn't work so well for you and your partner. So if not going on a bash or similar, I'd agree with Layne's suggestion above of staying in a chalet – we did that in ADH and it was easy to find other people to ski with – also added more of a social element to the evenings and we were with a brilliant group of people, so had a great time.

*I should note that despite our deliberately choosing somewhere with plenty of non-skiing activities available, it turned out I actually just wanted to ski all day when I was there!
snow report
What is your budget for lessons please?

Taking less 1-1 private lessons will be far better than taking more group lessons in my professional opinion.

A good instructor will have a fit, athletic adult 'never ever' making linked turns after 1 full day (or 2 half days) of private instruction which is difficult to achieve in 2-3 full days of group skiing in a group with more than 3 members.

I'm not sure what the price differential is on that in the resort(s) you're considering but if the priority is to get your OH to try, enjoy and succeed at learning to ski then putting her in the best boots, on the best skis, with the best 1-1 instruction for less days stands more chance of getting the job done than more time on snow in a group learning environment.
snow report
If I was in your shoes I'd be looking for a smallish resort with good British instructors that she could get one to one lessons with in the mornings. I'd also want a really good hotel with a decent spa area - remember that beginners get tired and sore more quickly, so she'll need nice surroundings for afternoon/evening relaxation. Check out Ski2 at Champoluc. They're not cheap but you'd be well looked after with their rental kit, boot room at the gondola, good instructors and mini-bus to take you around the village if you're too knackered to walk.

Getting your partner into skiing is a wonderful thing, so it's well worth making sure she really enjoys her first week, even if it means that you're not getting to do everything that you want. Play the long game.
ski holidays
not really sure a spa hotel will be in budget. since when did people need spas to "relax"? When I was learning all I wanted was a drink and a meal. I was high as a kite having fun with the group so didn't need anything more. sorry...off topic, but if DP could afford a spa hotel he could afford private lessons.
snow report
@Mike Pow, with no disrespect meant, I disagree with you.

I understand the hypothesis completely that solo lessons can be more productive. It's obvious. The instructor has far more time for "each" person in a private lesson. And yes this means that they can potentially advance faster, covering more ground in the same time. What I am not certain about is that the factor by which they improve equals or exceeds the factor by which the price increases. In fact, I highly doubt it.

What's more, and something I've been trying to get across this whole thread, is not everyone in the world needs to be a ski legend in order to enjoy skiing. Not progressing at the fastest possible speed doesn't have to be unattractive. I appreciate that if we spent £3000 on solo ski lessons this winter we could probably go skiing next winter and spend £0 on lessons, but I also think that if we spent £500 a year on group lessons for 6 years running, she could be an equally good skier at no greater expense.

For solo lessons, prices I've seen advertised range from 60-90 Euros an hour. Even if we're at the bottom end of that scale, then the two half days you talk of are still going to cost us 500-600 Euros. So even if they were the only lessons we had all week, and we spent the rest of it skiing together, I could probably get her in a whole week of group lessons for nothing much extra.

In my opinion, learning a skill is made up instruction and practice. And in my personal experience, the practice often plays a more important part than the instruction. I think the thing about a group lesson is that you're learning and practicing. And spending time with others in the same boat as you - which is important. Sometimes you can be taught a skill til your instructor is blue in the face, but what it really needs is just a bit of time for you to do it until it makes sense.

Basically, I don't have a fixed budget but it definitely won't cover any sustained amount of private tuition. I am reasonably convinced that I would like to have her do group lessons in the mornings, then in the afternoon she can ski with her newfound friends or ski with me, or I can ski with all of them. Maybe there is scope for a 2 hour private lesson on a mid-week afternoon to catch any bugs, help her with anything not making sense, etc... but I'm also reasonably prepared to do that myself if she will tolerate it! But principally if I hadn't made it clear already, I was looking for suggestions on how she can be doing group lessons and skiing with the group, with some time for me to ski with her but also options for me to ski in company around her schedule too.
latest report
@dp, have you taken a look at the Club Med offerings? There prices include everything even lessons except ski hire.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
not really sure a spa hotel will be in budget. since when did people need spas to "relax"? When I was learning all I wanted was a drink and a meal. I was high as a kite having fun with the group so didn't need anything more. sorry...off topic, but if DP could afford a spa hotel he could afford private lessons.

Absolutely! If she wants to do an afternoon in a spa to chill out (which she does enjoy), every ski resort will have a place in town you can pop into for an entry fee. I'm not paying for a spa hotel, as you say if we had that kind of cash it'd be getting spent on private lessons.
snow report
@NickyJ, I haven't. Do they offer a price for people which doesn't include lessons, too?

Edit: I looked and it doesn't appear that they do. So I'd have to proactively want to have lessons myself, to make the trip worth it (not saying this isn't an option).
I'll have a think about it. VT in PreBB-week is £1500 a person at the moment, inc lessons and passes, which on the whole doesn't seem unreasonable - providing I'd want the lessons.
But if I can go without, it's probably quite an expensive way of putting her in group lessons.
snow conditions
dp wrote:
@NickyJ, I haven't. Do they offer a price for people which doesn't include lessons, too?

Edit: I looked and it doesn't appear that they do. So I'd have to proactively want to have lessons myself, to make the trip worth it.

Just thinking that would give you people to ski with.

Haven’t been with them ourselves but have looked on occasions and given everything they include in some resorts for some weeks I didn’t think they looked bad price wise once you factored in value of each of the included elements... obviously only worthwhile if you WANT those elements Happy

Another thought is it sounds like certain resorts from certain TO’s (obviously outside France!) are still / again offering ski hosting, which again gives people to ski with.
latest report
Shame that Livigno doesn't really work any more as the MYASH bash was really neat and clearly effective (I had two non-bash trips last year and both included people I met in Livigno
and to really prove it works, two of them had never properly skied before going on a bash but are now so keen that both did 3 ski holidays last season

Resort-wise somewhere like Avoriaz would be good for a beginner, a) transfer isn't too long, b) because there's a decent number of greens and gentle blues and c) the lack of traffic means it has a nice feel and will make the ski holiday experience. Downside is that there possibly isn't enough gnar for you to get an anecdote of your usual standard in the 3 hours she's in a lesson...unless you venture towards the other areas of PdS, but then risk not getting back for the end of her lesson. Dunno what ski schools are like because I'm clearly too good to need them.
snow report
I've been making enquiries recently about the cost of one to one tuition using In Depth Snow based in the CF. It's three guys from the CF who have set up their own little business. £140 for 4 hours, one to one. £240 for a full 8 hours. That includes your ski pass, boot and ski hire etc. Not sure about the clothes. Apparently they use an ipad to video you and give you instant feedback. Just thought I'd throw that one in, so at least you've got some idea of 1-1 costs for the CF if you were ever considering it. Awd.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I entirely agree with you @dp about group lessons for never-evers. At that early stage it’s a good use of money to have lots of supervised practice. Even beyond that, with the right group, group lessons can be great. Private lessons can be a bit intense.

Do CF do any mountain trips? Hemel have
a setup now where you join a ‘coaching club’ on a Tuesday night where you get to meet a bunch of people at the same stage of learning as you, and become familiar with a set of instructors. Then they run a trip to the mountain where you’ll ski with a set of familiar faces and the instructors you already know. She could go on a trip like that and you could tag along and find ways to amuse yourself.
latest report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, ? “Not enough gnar”?

You don’t know Avoriaz.
snow conditions
If my partner wanted to do gnarly skiing when I was in lessons in the morning I'd encourage him. But if he didn't want to ski with me in the afternoons either (as the OP said) I'd tell him to get knotted. Another idea - if you have never snowboarded, take beginner lessons. Will wipe that patronising smile off your face. wink
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, ? “Not enough gnar”?

You don’t know Avoriaz.

Exactly - if he wanted he could be falling off a cliff within 5 mins of dropping his beloved off at ski school.
latest report
@under a new name, I don’t, although you also don’t know dp’s usual anecdotes Wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
....if he didn't want to ski with me in the afternoons either (as the OP said) I'd tell him to get knotted...

Save me searching the whole thread and show me where he said that because i must have missed it.
snow report
pam w wrote:
If my partner wanted to do gnarly skiing when I was in lessons in the morning I'd encourage him. But if he didn't want to ski with me in the afternoons either (as the OP said) I'd tell him to get knotted. Another idea - if you have never snowboarded, take beginner lessons. Will wipe that patronising smile off your face. wink

I rather find the idea that dp's girlfriend has to be accompanied at all times patronising. What has he said that indicates that is what she wants? Or do you know her personally?
ski holidays
When I introduced my girlfriend to skiing she booked into 3-hour morning groups lessons, for six days of the week. Selected a Brit ski school which I knew had a good reputation. I booked in to more of a performance camp, 3.5 hours in the mornings for six days of the week. Stayed in a cheap hotel in a decent location in a big resort. No spa facilities, food pretty basic but it was comfortable enough and not too far to walk to the ski school meeting point, which I think is a big deal for beginners who are unused to clomping around in ski kit.

Jane had a great week, loved the social side of her group as well as learning to make her first turns on snow. I got plenty of skiing on my performance camp, a mix of technical instruction and charging around. In the afternoons the plan was to ski together, pottering around on the same pistes she had skied in the morning with her instructor, which we did mostly but on a couple of days she was tired so she had a long lunch with a couple of girls from her class and I headed off to ski by myself. One of our most enjoyable holidays, not least because I was pleased and relieved that she enjoyed her first skiing experience. The afternoons we skied together were a pleasure not a compromise.

For a beginner, especially an adult who might be a little nervous, I think the quickest way to make or break your first ski holiday is the quality of the ski instruction. That would be my priority, everything else secondary. Pointless being in the nicest hotel, in the perfect resort, surrounded by lots of lovely people if you hate skiing, where every morning is a chore or worse (you won't ski in the afternoons), and you are fearful of your instructor's obvious frustrations at your inability to progress (even though it's his fault for not finding a way to help you improve).
latest report
@Awdbugga, that's useful to know. Can't see it on their website (in fact no courses at all except group high level or gates ones). Also says they start at 9am, which is no good for me travelling. If you know or find out any more (performance, or at least not quite beginner level) could you pm me? Cheers.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
pam w wrote:
....if he didn't want to ski with me in the afternoons either (as the OP said) I'd tell him to get knotted...

Save me searching the whole thread and show me where he said that because i must have missed it.

I'd be interested to see that too because I don't remember saying it, and I certainly didn't mean to give that appearance.
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Shame that Livigno doesn't really work any more as the MYASH bash was really neat and clearly effective (I had two non-bash trips last year and both included people I met in Livigno
and to really prove it works, two of them had never properly skied before going on a bash but are now so keen that both did 3 ski holidays last season

I think that whilst I really didn't take to Livigno (not just because I got injured but because I was genuinely a bit bored of the place by the time that even happened) the MYAsHBash is such a good deal that if it did happen for 2019 and it did so at the prices previously achieved, I'd be tempted to do it anyway. Basically because it really is the most cost effective way to do ski lessons, it's got options for both of us in terms of people to ski with, the bits of ski lessons that I witnessed impressed me, the facilities for learners are very good, and it'd be nice for MrsDP to ski with people who - as you allude to - you're likely to bump into time and time again at future bashes. I really do rate the MYAsHBash as the 'right way' to learn to ski. I had chatted to admin about it in the past, and I think there's scope for it to happen in a different resort if necessary, that again would interest me. I don't think Livigno has to be the place, so long as quality instruction can be sourced.

Awdbugga wrote:
I've been making enquiries recently about the cost of one to one tuition using In Depth Snow based in the CF. It's three guys from the CF who have set up their own little business. £140 for 4 hours, one to one. £240 for a full 8 hours. That includes your ski pass, boot and ski hire etc. Not sure about the clothes. Apparently they use an ipad to video you and give you instant feedback. Just thought I'd throw that one in, so at least you've got some idea of 1-1 costs for the CF if you were ever considering it. Awd.

I appreciate the thought but honestly we're not going to be frequenting CF for tuition, no matter how much of a good idea it may seem. She's not in any rush to learn. She wants to come on ski holidays and is not really bothered about whether the holidays consist of learning, or just skiing. We'll do CF for the purposes of getting past the very basics (just to maximise use of the available mountains), but she's just not inspired much by indoor skiing and once she can control her speed and direction sufficiently I strongly expect that'll be the end of it until we get into resort!

Gämsbock wrote:

I rather find the idea that dp's girlfriend has to be accompanied at all times patronising. What has he said that indicates that is what she wants? Or do you know her personally?

Quite. Before we met she successfully spent several months travelling across Asia by herself and didn't have me holding her hand through the process and she seems to have managed it OK so I'm sure a week in a mapped, pisted ski resort will not pose too much danger. I didn't at any point say I didn't want to ski with her, I said that I wanted her to be able to have lessons, and if desired, ski with the people from her lessons in the afternoon. I am a bit fed up of the persistent assumption that she will want me holding her hand at all times that there isn't an instructor about because she's really not like that, and if she wants to go ski with people from her group for the afternoon she will do that. She's also got an interest in seeing me enjoy myself and is not to selfish and/or needy to see me get invited on a sweet afternoon of gnarly stuff with another group, but hold me back because she wants babysitting round some greens for the afternoon instead.

It's a patronising, sexist and obnoxious attitude to think that because my girlfriend is new to skiing that I have some sort of chivalrous responsibility to drop her off at her lesson in the morning, pick her up from it afterwards and hold her hand at all times that she's not having it held by an instructor. She's far more independent than that, and frankly I dare say if she was single it wouldn't put her off going alone. So let's stop with that line of opinion.

Maireadoconnor wrote:
I entirely agree with you @dp about group lessons for never-evers. At that early stage it’s a good use of money to have lots of supervised practice. Even beyond that, with the right group, group lessons can be great. Private lessons can be a bit intense.

That's exactly my thoughts. I think as a new skier, 'supervised practice' as you put it is a lot of what you need. Once you've been shown how to do something, you often just need to then go and do it for an hour until it makes total sense. You need to be allowed time to mess it up and fall off, then mess it up and recover it, and get a true understanding for why you're doing it that way. Time spent doing that may as well be in a group setting as in a solo setting, in fact a group can be less intimidating and more fun. Having new friends to learn with, fall off with, and have a beer with whilst laughing at yourselves is, IMO, as much a part of the fun of a ski holiday as any of the actual skiing.

Quote:
Do CF do any mountain trips? Hemel have a setup now where you join a ‘coaching club’ on a Tuesday night where you get to meet a bunch of people at the same stage of learning as you, and become familiar with a set of instructors. Then they run a trip to the mountain where you’ll ski with a set of familiar faces and the instructors you already know. She could go on a trip like that and you could tag along and find ways to amuse yourself.

Whilst maybe not in that format, I have a feeling there is a Manchester Ski Club of some sort who meet in the CF every so often and then do winter trips away together, which whilst not the same thing, would possibly achieve a similar result for us. So thanks for that thought.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 24-07-18 22:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@dp, well said...internet eh?

FWIW I thought your OP was very clear and straightforward...just sorry I can't give any ideas
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy