Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better!
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your Favourite Touring Binding?

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all, just to satiate my curiosity.

What is your favourite ski touring binding? (can be a frame binding as well of course) And why?

Is there anything you wish was better with the current bindings on offer?
latest report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't tour...but I saw a Trab binding today that weighs in at a hefty...58g

That is light!
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the new Salomon Slab shift binding that is both tech and alpine is going to be popular.

http://shift-bindings.salomon.com/en
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dulcamara, Marker Kingpin high up on my lists - great skiability due to 'heel on ski' with all the efficiency of a pin toe for the up. Only thing I would change on them is make the risers more textured as they aren't always easy to flip up if you have a pole with a harder plastic top of the handle.
Salomon MTN is also proving its worth in the lighter binding range - brake is super functional, good feel when skiing.
snow conditions     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Outlaw-X from 22Designs
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kreuzspitze SCTT

Flat ramp angle.
Can be mounted on toe and heel shift plates.
Very little to go wrong.
Jason Borro (skimo.com) tells me that the fixed release setting of the SCTT is appropriate to my needs (DIN 7-8, BSL around 300)


Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 21-04-18 20:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kingpin rocks, been my go-to binding for the past 3 seasons!
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
KenX wrote:
Kingpin rocks, been my go-to binding for the past 3 seasons!


Toe pins snapped in half yet?

Okay, so I admit I'm being a bit provocative. If 0.1% of Kingpins fail, but everyone who experiences a failure writes about it on that TGR thread, it can make a problem appear much bigger than it really is. Still, I'd encourage people to buy their Kingpins from Spyderjon, as he has a good reputation for dealing with warranty claims.
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

@dulcamara, Marker Kingpin high up on my lists - great skiability due to 'heel on ski' with all the efficiency of a pin toe for the up. Only thing I would change on them is make the risers more textured as they aren't always easy to flip up if you have a pole with a harder plastic top of the handle.
Salomon MTN is also proving its worth in the lighter binding range - brake is super functional, good feel when skiing.



Do you really feel the difference between heel on the ski and in pins? I hear this a lot, i have also said it.... but not sure i have fully felt it yet its something i want to play with next season.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I saw a Trab binding today that weighs in at a hefty...58g


which is that?

Quote:

Salomon MTN is also proving its worth in the lighter binding range - brake is super functional,


Does it not pop down when you press down the arms? maybe they fixed that.
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Love the way the Beast 16 skis but it's a bit over engineered IMO so requires a bit more care and/or fiddling than ideal

Just about to retire some Dynafit TLT Speeds after about 8 or 9 years of faithful service. Great no frills touring binding
latest report     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oceanic wrote:
KenX wrote:
Kingpin rocks, been my go-to binding for the past 3 seasons!


Toe pins snapped in half yet?

Okay, so I admit I'm being a bit provocative. If 0.1% of Kingpins fail, but everyone who experiences a failure writes about it on that TGR thread, it can make a problem appear much bigger than it really is. Still, I'd encourage people to buy their Kingpins from Spyderjon, as he has a good reputation for dealing with warranty claims.


Nope, early ones had an issue which were changed under warranty...............
snow conditions     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KenX wrote:
Oceanic wrote:
KenX wrote:
Kingpin rocks, been my go-to binding for the past 3 seasons!


Toe pins snapped in half yet?

Okay, so I admit I'm being a bit provocative. If 0.1% of Kingpins fail, but everyone who experiences a failure writes about it on that TGR thread, it can make a problem appear much bigger than it really is. Still, I'd encourage people to buy their Kingpins from Spyderjon, as he has a good reputation for dealing with warranty claims.


Nope, early ones had an issue which were changed under warranty...............


I think the early ones had an issue with the toe pins falling out. The more recent ones have a problem with the toe pins snapping.
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara wrote:

Quote:

Salomon MTN is also proving its worth in the lighter binding range - brake is super functional,


Does it not pop down when you press down the arms? maybe they fixed that.


Why would you press down the arms?

I put the bindings into touring mode, step into them and start skinning...
snow conditions     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oceanic wrote:
KenX wrote:
Kingpin rocks, been my go-to binding for the past 3 seasons!


Toe pins snapped in half yet?

Okay, so I admit I'm being a bit provocative. If 0.1% of Kingpins fail, but everyone who experiences a failure writes about it on that TGR thread, it can make a problem appear much bigger than it really is. Still, I'd encourage people to buy their Kingpins from Spyderjon, as he has a good reputation for dealing with warranty claims.


No problems my end either with 2 pairs that have been well skied over the last couple f winters (no 1st gen versions thouogh - as a general rule I don't buy a binding in its first year of release, though i may take a punt on the Shift next winter for one pair of skis...).
ski holidays     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

@dulcamara, Marker Kingpin high up on my lists - great skiability due to 'heel on ski' with all the efficiency of a pin toe for the up. Only thing I would change on them is make the risers more textured as they aren't always easy to flip up if you have a pole with a harder plastic top of the handle.
Salomon MTN is also proving its worth in the lighter binding range - brake is super functional, good feel when skiing.



Do you really feel the difference between heel on the ski and in pins? I hear this a lot, i have also said it.... but not sure i have fully felt it yet its something i want to play with next season.


I reckon I do yes, maybe it is all in the mind though! (But hey, the placebo effect has, I believe, been scientifically proven to work...).
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
offpisteskiing wrote:
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

@dulcamara, Marker Kingpin high up on my lists - great skiability due to 'heel on ski' with all the efficiency of a pin toe for the up. Only thing I would change on them is make the risers more textured as they aren't always easy to flip up if you have a pole with a harder plastic top of the handle.
Salomon MTN is also proving its worth in the lighter binding range - brake is super functional, good feel when skiing.



Do you really feel the difference between heel on the ski and in pins? I hear this a lot, i have also said it.... but not sure i have fully felt it yet its something i want to play with next season.


I reckon I do yes, maybe it is all in the mind though! (But hey, the placebo effect has, I believe, been scientifically proven to work...).


Skiied 4-5 weeks on Beast 14s now - resort skiing and off piste - and I can't feel any difference really.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was talking last night to a German ski tourer and he claimed that in his group last week they were using 3rd gen Marker kingpins and had two pins shear off their arms, a bit worrying if the problem is still there . . . a materials issue? or design flaw, but that's been around for a long time.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah the pins take a pretty impressive amount of force, guess it will be hard to create 100% problem free toepieces.

Anybody a fan of ATK or Plum?
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dynafit Radical 2.0.

- love the "elasticity" of toe - (no pre-releases, absorbs more versus Version 1)
- love ease of transition to tour/ski (versus Ver 1; Beast 14)
- flat (versus Beast 14 and Superlite 2.0)

Edited Dynafit fro Dynamite!


Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 24-04-18 10:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
offpisteskiing wrote:
dulcamara wrote:

Quote:

Salomon MTN is also proving its worth in the lighter binding range - brake is super functional,


Does it not pop down when you press down the arms? maybe they fixed that.


Why would you press down the arms?

I put the bindings into touring mode, step into them and start skinning...


Another vote for the Salomon MTN. Very well designed, no pre-release silliness of radicals (one of the Lofoten crew nearly had a very long steep walk down a very long steep couloir thanks to that and Iíve had a 2 or 3 instances in the past, one of which was where I really didnít want to have it!) and none of complexity/weight of others. Super solid toe-in with reassuring Ďfeelí and straightforward to transfer tour on. The removable brakes are very neat. No issues at all with the brakes popping open (not heard of any, either Puzzled ) but the gen 1 versions I have tend to stick up in heavy spring snow. @offpisteskiing has the gen 2 version which have a stiffer spring action so that problem seems to have gone away.
latest report     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mishmash wrote:
Dynamite Radical 2.0

- love the "elasticity" of toe - (no pre-releases, absorbs more versus Version 1)
- love ease of transition to tour/ski (versus Ver 1; Beast 14)
- flat (versus Beast 14 and Superlite 2.0)


+1
I really appreciate the subtle design improvements, for example the way the brakes stay deployed after changing to tour mode until you first stomp your heel down, also ease of adjusting heel lift
Stepping into was a bit of a faff until I painted markers on my boots for the pin holes

The fact its an iterative design gives me confidence in robustness

In contrast with Kingpins on a recent trip one user's brakes fell off and couldn't be repaired in resort, and one of the guides had great problems clipping in, apparently due to wear or deterioration/movement in the front pins
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just a bit of topic , but what are people's favourite crampons to match your favourite bindings , I've been trying a few heath robinson methods to increase bite when on first riser , after being very disappointed with the performance of the dynafit crampon combined with the radical 2 Puzzled
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Salomon MTN. Very well designed, no pre-release silliness of radicals


Never had any issues of pre-release with any bindings to be honest so i'm perhaps not best placed to judge this, do you have any insight into what is changed on the MTN to reduce pre-release?
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Prerelease seems to be an issue fir Radical Mark 1s. I wouldn't go near them but quite like Rad 2s when I used them.
I just bought some Plum Guides ("Stopper"version with brakes) to replace my old TLT speeds. Seem nicely made but haven't skied on them yet
latest report     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dabber wrote:
just a bit of topic , but what are people's favourite crampons to match your favourite bindings , I've been trying a few heath robinson methods to increase bite when on first riser , after being very disappointed with the performance of the dynafit crampon combined with the radical 2 Puzzled

Yes I had a speedy lesson on the consequences of ineffectiveness of Dynafit Crampons with heel risers! Embarassed
Solutions seems to be stowing the heel risers in icy or very steep conditions, and using the pre drilled hols to fix a shim of wood, plastic or similar thick enough to nearly close the gap between crampon and boot sole without the lifts in use
ski holidays     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dulcamara wrote:
Quote:

Salomon MTN. Very well designed, no pre-release silliness of radicals


Never had any issues of pre-release with any bindings to be honest so i'm perhaps not best placed to judge this, do you have any insight into what is changed on the MTN to reduce pre-release?


The design of the rad 1 means snow and ice accumulated under the toe springs, which prevents the pins from engaging fully into the boot. Not a problem with other toe designs and the rad 2 appears to have sorted it.
snow conditions     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the rocks wrote:
Dabber wrote:
just a bit of topic , but what are people's favourite crampons to match your favourite bindings , I've been trying a few heath robinson methods to increase bite when on first riser , after being very disappointed with the performance of the dynafit crampon combined with the radical 2 Puzzled

Yes I had a speedy lesson on the consequences of ineffectiveness of Dynafit Crampons with heel risers! Embarassed
Solutions seems to be stowing the heel risers in icy or very steep conditions, and using the pre drilled hols to fix a shim of wood, plastic or similar thick enough to nearly close the gap between crampon and boot sole without the lifts in use


Donít use the risers! If itís that steep and firm, skis off and bung on boot crampons. Itís quicker, easier, safer and less nervy. Save the adrenalin for the descent snowHead
ski holidays     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The design of the rad 1 means snow and ice accumulated under the toe springs, which prevents the pins from engaging fully into the boot.


Ahh so ist a Problem with initial step in and engagement, not pre-release. MTN also drops to the same distance as the Rad 1 so not quite sure how they have fixed it. Perhaps the angles/spring forces are a little different so more release force is moved to the toe Piece.

interesting Observation though.
ski holidays     
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for classic dynafit tlt.
Minimalistic perfection.
snow report     
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok well im going to cast my vote against the forum. Radical 1 FT for the win wink.

It's funny how the opinions in forums vary between sites and the masses, but I have never had a problem with mine, they have always been a trusty workhorse for me, and failure returns for the latest generation are very rare!

Though I use the Rad 2's now because i think they are better, but you know, nostalgia and stuff
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dulcamara, I looked at those ultra light Trab bindings for you.
I could not find them on their website..I'll describe them:
Toe piece was a cupped shaped carbon fibre shape withe the toe pins attached, it looked as if the stepping in would deform the cup, and its tension would hold the pins.
The heel was tiny, just enough to have the two pins, nothing else. Not even a heel riser device.

So far, so minimal....the price was NOT minimal!

58g costs 769chf Shocked
snow conditions     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dulcamara wrote:
Radical 1 FT for the win wink.

... but I have never had a problem with mine, they have always been a trusty workhorse for me, and failure returns for the latest generation are very rare!



The screws holding on the top plate of the heel on the Radical 1 had a habit of pulling out of the plastic housing. Dynafit have released a new binding this year, which is like the original Radical 1 (with a Radical 1 toe, and a brake), but with a heel that rotates to change the height of the heel lifters (like the Speed Turn). This will solve the problem with the screws pulling out, and I can't see why it wouldn't be a very reliable binding.
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rungsp, I think you saw the Dynafit DNA binding maybe, that thing is crazy! One better is the P49 which weighs.... yup 49 grams, not seen a price tag yet though.

Quote:

The screws holding on the top plate of the heel on the Radical 1 had a habit of pulling out of the plastic housing.


Ahh that's true! Though there's been a reinforcing metal plate added below the plastic the top of the Rad1 heel for a couple of years to stop the screws pulling out, seems to be holding much better now.

Interesting that the main driver for a binding here is reliability. Excited to see how the Marker Alpinist performs on the reliability front.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp wrote:
@dulcamara, I looked at those ultra light Trab bindings for you.
I could not find them on their website..I'll describe them:
Toe piece was a cupped shaped carbon fibre shape withe the toe pins attached, it looked as if the stepping in would deform the cup, and its tension would hold the pins.
The heel was tiny, just enough to have the two pins, nothing else. Not even a heel riser device.

So far, so minimal....the price was NOT minimal!

58g costs 769chf Shocked


That sounds like the Gara. The toe is 59g. With the heel its around 110g per binding. And that's a Swiss price so it's about 500Ä really.
snow conditions     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno wrote:
I just bought some Plum Guides ("Stopper"version with brakes) to replace my old TLT speeds. Seem nicely made but haven't skied on them yet


I used Guides on my Baffin set up (non-brake version with the add-on heel support) and was very happy with them...
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Toe piece was a cupped shaped carbon fibre shape withe the toe pins attached, it looked as if the stepping in would deform the cup, and its tension would hold the pins.
The heel was tiny, just enough to have the two pins,


nah sticking to the DNA guess

https://www.dynafit.com/equipment/bindings/dna-binding
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dulcamara wrote:

Quote:

The screws holding on the top plate of the heel on the Radical 1 had a habit of pulling out of the plastic housing.


Ahh that's true! Though there's been a reinforcing metal plate added below the plastic the top of the Rad1 heel for a couple of years to stop the screws pulling out, seems to be holding much better now.
.


The metal plate was to solve a different problem. The screws pulling out is due to the leverage applied by the 'flip flop' heel lifters. I think it is only really a problem for people who stamp on the heel lifters when trying to improve a skin track for folks following behind them.
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So I was bored and asked, this season in Austria and Germany, no bindings with the new strengthening plate and deeper screws were returned due to the screws pulling out.
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We might be talking at cross purposes? Are you saying that there is a version of the Radical 1 with deeper screws holding on the top plate? If so, thanks, I didn't know that.
snow report     



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy