Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine/ avoriaz conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ho, cam anyone advise me what the snow is like in the ports du soleil in particular Morzine /avoriaz at Xmas and new year please? Looking that my options.
Cheers
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some years it is fantastic, Some years it is awful and the rest of the time it is in between the 2. It all depends on that very unpredictable thing - The weather.
Xmas is usually much less busy than the manic New Year
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it awful to the point that I couldn't do any boarding or just not as good as it could be?
ski holidays     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Andy2809, There's usually something open in Avoriaz. It's sometimes truly fantastic. But Xmas/NY is early season.

Morzine itself can be rather more sketchy.

Short answer, no-one knows and no-one can predict.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Based on my early season trips to Morzine over last 2 years
17th Dec 2017 - Poor early season snow. Morzine totally green. Avoriaz open with limited skiing but we skied every day, sometimes doing the same run 3/4 times but we were skiing.
1st Jan 2018 - Great early season snow. Heavy rain in Morzine for 2 days. Mixture of blue/grey skies the other days. we skied every day with almost all the pistes/lifts open

This New Year was nowhere near as busy I was expecting with very little queing at lifts. I think the poor early start over the previous years may have put people off.

Either way I think its a great time of year to go but its a gamble

As previous posters have already said - its early season and the weather is the key
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@charliesimpson, our analysis of our bookings was that the NY dates meant people seemed to book for Xmas instead.
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The snow in Avoriaz will be much the same as in most other French ski resorts in the same area on the same dates.

If you want the best chance of seeing snow out your front door/are incapable of moving more than 200m without putting on skis go for Avoriaz. If you're willing to trade the chance you may have to bus/gondola up and down each day if the season starts badly against spending you evenings somewhere with a little more soul and atmosphear then go for Morzine.
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent thank you. I think I'll hold off to the start of winter and see how things are.
I've got limited holiday dates though so would be good if it snows late Nov/early Dec
latest report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, That makes alot of sense We went 31st Dec and got a good deal on a s/c chalet that we had used before. Hoping for another NY week but I think 2019 dates look like a Sat-Sat is more likely to be booked by most - what do you think?
latest report     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was looking sat to sat
29th-5 th. Don't want to leave it too late and miss out, but at the same time don't want to book it and it be like the desert.
snow conditions     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That'll be new years which will still be full price, I live in Les Gets and would say if there's no snow in Avoriaz at New Years then there will be no snow elsewhere in the French Alps. We'll be doing Christmas week at mid season prices next season, you'll find most French self catering places are Sat-Sat (I suggested we go Sun-Sun earlier in the season and the office looked at me like I'd grown an extra head, it's just not how it's done here)
latest report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy