Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter Drive Down - chit chat

Poster: A snowHead
....guess better start packing, beauty of the lwb campervan is i can just chuck it in, plenty of space Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dan, same with Land Rover Disco
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
....although after 10 years I can find everything except the snowboard binding inserts and screws.......why did I not check earlier.......guess I'm going begging to the hire shop...... rolling eyes snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ahh the packing ritual. We're not quite so flush for space, so it usually goes something like:
"Is that all the big bags down?"
"Yes"
"Sure?"
"Yesss!"
"Ok then". <Packs>
Then, while standing back admiring black-belt tetris packing skills ...
"oh, and this one"

*Every time* rolling eyes

I think she's even got the kids in on it now. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sj1608, it is the first time! I have heard mention of it, and will ask at check-in for detailed instructions on how to get all the food and coffee as I'll be desperate for more coffee by that point!!

@johnE, oh no! I am so sorry to hear that.. beyond frustrating. Just typical it happens in France rather than at home!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, Now you know someone who who has done an overnight stop Toofy Grin (or will have)

Hope your problems get resolved smoothly and don't delay the skiing too much though...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just doing my bit to tidy up the house by finishing the open bottles of wine, getting in the mood for tomorrow's departure reading all this lot, and trying to get to the bottom of that nagging feeling that there's something v.v. important I've forgotten to do...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just getting to that point where I'm giving up on the idea of being able to see clearly out of the car rear window.

Also just discovered that for Amazon Prime there's a limit to the number of videos you can have downloaded across all devices in the family - so now will youngest have to give up some Paw Patrol episodes!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@frejul, ha ha - yes had same thing wit us. Eldest had downloaded loads in advance ready for holiday then when it the younges went to download a couple of things she couldn’t.

Nb prime original stuff doesn’t have any limits on.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arrived at eurotunnel 630 from north London waiting now for booked 720. No queue at passport control or check in yet.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Everything on time - just arriving in Calais now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Todays the day!!! Just got to get some clients through, the kids home from school, the husband home from work and we'll be on our way. Oh the excitement! Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, bummer. Hope that you are on the move quickly today. I've been towed out of Urviller service area by a very nice chap, who charmed my Mum. @wibble44, ...when travelling with female friends we manage to get it all in without the hand on hips / sighing that seems to come with the XY chromosone Razz
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cheesie168, Laughing

@johnE, Good luck today. When we had a mishap last year just before Bethune, they sent a flatbed to recover us. When he turned up, he got me to drive on to it (up the steeply-angled, narrow bed pointing at the back of his cab), then we all had to sit in the car on the back of the flatbed Shocked while he drove us to the workshop. Then it was a taxi back to Calais for a hire car (€234 taxi bill for the breakdown insurance Shocked). The car hire guy was superb. Came into his office at 7pm on a Saturday to open up for us, then again mid-afternoon on Easter Monday when we returned. All that said, apart from a few hours faff on the recovery, there was minimal disruption to the holiday, hope your situation works out similar.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok the insurance but us up in st Quentin for the night. Now we are trying to sort out a hire car that doesn't have to returned to st Quentin on Sunday. To be honest I do not want a 20 hour return drive from les arcs.

So we are just sitting hear waiting as we have for the last 2 hours
snow report
Dippy wrote:
johnE wrote:
Reading this thread I get an impression that many people stop for the night somewhere. I have never done this or actually met anyone who has. Is it possible to run a poll and find out how common it is?

In over 20+ years have only ever done an overnight stop once - and doing one again this Friday - just because its a bank holiday and have 3 families in our group.

However - only live 20 mins from eurotunnel at Folkestone - most of our trips are low season (aviod school hols, french and english, most of the time) - and - will travel sunday-sunday if at all possible - definitely easier.

Usually catch train around 6.20 - and in chalet by 5pm (3V / paradiski) - or earlier if travelling to PDS.

Dippy, we are closer to Eurotunnel, but have to go at half term so often overnight on the way down. Usually get the kids out of school early afternoon as they have a "dental appointment" wink along with about 50 others!!!

If heading to France we stay in Troyes, when we went to Austria a couple of years ago we stayed in Gunzburg. When we do the drive in 1 day - both the France and Austria we look to get a crossing around 5am. However this still means we end up getting stuck in jams south of Reims at the A4/A26 junction, which then leads to being stuck in other jams further along the route as we are in the main batch of traffic. Have now decided less stress and a better drive to have an overnighter.

We do the return in one go and with teenagers it doesn't matter how late the return crossing is. We can be home with fish & chips at an earlier (GMT) time than when the train departed Very Happy
ski holidays
Have a good time, all you Easter drivers. Looks like you're going to be missing a pretty grotty Easter weekend of weather in the UK!
snow conditions
@pam w, Thank you - looking forward to this trip as last few have been a bit light on snow.
ski holidays
knackered knees - I experienced the absolutely horrendous half term drive last year - the one and only time I've done it - never to be experience again!!
Took us around 15 hours instead of the usual 9!!
We were heading to LaPlagne and the traffic was solid from the A39 almost to resort - never ever again!!

Wish I could persuade friends to take their kids out of school - when mine were at school I never went in school holiday time - never done them any harm and much quieter pistes / drive down / cheaper chalets etc etc - but thats another topic I know.

If/when I ever get grandchildren they can have a week off school!!
ski holidays
I phoned school this morning as I have a sickly child, they said" are you going somewhere nice" cheeky sods. I said no, not until Saturday thank you.
latest report
@blahblahblah, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Ok we have now got a fiat 500l and somehow got all 4 of us plus ski luggage in AND 3 pairs of skis. It's cosy but at least we are moving. Still "discussing" with the insurance company to avoid a 1000 mile and 20 hour round trip to pick our car up.

Having now spent a night in a hotel with a decent meal I can say I won't bother again.

@Dippy, the best we have ever managed door to door is 14 hours. I'm very impressed you do it in 9.
snow report
Ok we have now got a fiat 500l and somehow got all 4 of us plus ski luggage in AND 3 pairs of skis. It's cosy but at least we are moving. Still "discussing" with the insurance company to avoid a 1000 mile and 20 hour round trip to pick our car up.

Having now spent a night in a hotel with a decent meal I can say I won't bother again.

@Dippy, the best we have ever managed door to door is 14 hours. I'm very impressed you do it in 9.
snow report
Nine hours Calais to La Plagne Montalbert is pretty average in my book...
latest report
@boredsurfin, that's interesting to know! Google maps says one thing, but it is massively vague because there's so many possibilities for issues. It seems to be +/- a two hour window at least. So a more realistic timeframe (especially as we tend to drive at the limit) is very useful.

Another hour at work and then I am out of here and a very full evening of yet more packing. Actually, it never is just "packing" is it? That part is easy. It's the locating all the various things, making sure stuff is charged, making sure all the parts for something are present and correct, checking stuff still fits, making decisions over which things to bring and which to leave, making last minute emergency Prime orders or seriously last minute runs into town, taking the cats to the cattery, sorting out individual portions of fish food to make it easy for the kind people who are feeding my fish (who have literally just had about fifty fry, sigh! zero when we return for sure..) sorting out the lights to make it look like people are home in the evenings, making sure all the windows are locked, downloading stuff to phone to play in the car so you don't have to use cellular data, etc etc.

Anyway!!
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, I've never managed 9 hours les arcs to Calais even with only one or two stops
snow report
At tunnel, there's about 60 minute delays......however, got directed to the carpark for campervans, just about to go to the look and got told to go.....then at the vehicle check where they put you in queues they said the guy in the car park was wrong but nothing they could do now so on you go 😁
ski holidays
Actually thinking about it I must do les arcs to Calais in less than 9 hours. Once I add in the customary 2 hours. delay at the tunnel , the one hour crossing and the 3 hours drive from Dover. getting home in 14 still takes a lot of luck.

Anyway it is bright and sunny in the voges as we pass the big chicken.

There are a lot of English cars on the road.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
Nine hours Calais to La Plagne Montalbert is pretty average in my book...

Nine hours is pretty much what we work on from Calais to skiing in France. But it does depend on where you are going, Samoens may be a bit less, as may much of PdS but much of the Isere area may well be longer, bit further and that nasty traffic hold up in busy/snowy times. Going further to Bourg D'Oisans area etc for access to LdA AdH add an hour of two. So much depends on how often, and for how long you want to stop, and traffic, and weather!
snow report
Calais to Reims 2 hrs
Reims to Troyes 1.15 hr
Troyes to Dijon 1.15 hr
Dijon to Macon 1 hr
Macon to A432 30 mins
A432 to Chambery 1 hr
Chambery to Albertville 40 mins
Albertville to Moutiers 25 mins
Moutiers to Meribel 30 mins
total 8.5 hrs plus toilet/petrol stops so 9 to 9.5 hrs is more or less achieved for the past 15 years or more .Except for some very rare but really bad delays
ski holidays
@gwatts10, Exactly +1 - as far as Moutier. Bright sunny Sunday with one break can be less....
The route has got quicker over the years, now with motorway all the way, 3 or more lanes in places, and 30kph toll booths and faster reacting telepage tags. Plus the A342 not a good half hour off instead of crawling around Lyon.

Yes Pam W , its about 2hr 20, those timings are all rounded,some up some down.....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 29-03-18 17:18; edited 2 times in total
latest report
You can't legally do Calais to Reims in 2 hours even on dry roads.
snow report
At tunnel now. Arrived 2hrs before departure (journey down v. easy, even M25) but no chance of getting on an early train. "Scheduled" train is running 1/2 be late. Not too bad, I suppose. About to return to car for boarding.
snow report
pam w wrote:
You can't legally do Calais to Reims in 2 hours even on dry roads.

+1 it is more like 2 and a half hours from memory.
snow conditions
It's 280km.
ski holidays
Thanks for all advice earlier. Last minute trip to Orelle booked and Eurotunnel tomorrow night! Woo hoo

Do you think we will need chains for the trip to Orelle? Will go via Chambéry and is only 6km off the motorway, and pretty low?
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
It's 280km.

Quite! and at 130kph using GPS... Most car speedometers under read by at least 5 mph - by law I think.
snow conditions
A question!!!
Soooo as it turns out the chains that fitted my 4x4 17in wheels don’t fit my new Kombis 17in wheels! And Amazon prime is not delivering tomorrow and the local Halfords doesn’t stock chains!
Is there an equivalent to Halfords near Flaine or en route? Thinking bourg en bresse or cluses but won’t in the area until around 3pm Saturday.
I might not need them but I don’t want to be the person that everyone gets stuck behind because of not having chains.
You recommendation are greatly recived!!
snow conditions
@Noakes, service stations and supermarkets stock them.
ski holidays
@Noakes, Norauto seems to be everywhere and they usually have chains in the likely locations
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy