Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any advice for nervous mother and ski lifts!?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
You are not alone in this fear! We are about to take our 3rd trip with kids and i still book them into private lessons because I’m too scared of them being in a group where lifts are involved- they are 9 and 11 now!

But despite my own actions, I have never ever seen a problem with any kids on lifts. As someone else said, they behave so well without parents there. The kids I’ve sat with on lifts have hardly moved at all.

We have a few lift rules that I remind them about lots. The only one I haven’t seen mentioned already is to not turn around. When they try to look at the lift behind them they tend to scoot forward on the seat.

As for being worried when you are there, I thought I’d spend the whole of their first trip following them around. I planned to always be close enough to help or rescue if needed (yes, I’m one of those mums!). But it turned out that the call of the mountain was stronger than my motherly instinct. I dropped them off with the instructor on their first day and barely looked back as I rushed for the closest lift!

Good luck and enjoy skiing with them when you get the chance. There’s nothing like skiing with your kids. X
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@breeze11, too true! I pink fuzzy heart skiing the little blue slope with my son. He’s so proud that he can do it and we can do something great together:)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife and I met some kids all from the one family on a chairlift in LG last month. What lovely children, a credit to their parents! In spite of the bad press lots of children on a ski holiday are well behaved with excellent manners.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Someone I know had a kid plonked next to him on a chair lift (in France). The kid started to slide under the bar as the lift took off. The adult in question reached out and grabbed the kid’s arm, so the kid was dangling. However the adult’s grip wasn’t great and the kid’s arm was gradually slipping through the adult’s ski glove. The adult made the difficult decision to let go, as the lift was still moving, and he was understandably concerned that, when the inevitable happened, the drop would be even greater. That was almost certainly the correct decision, and fortunately the kid wasn’t seriously injured. However the sting in the tail was that the adult got shouted at, and well and truly admonished by all and sundry, for dropping the kid. As you might guess he now objects to taking responsibility for other people’s children on ski lifts.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tatmanstours, When you think about it its one hell of a responsibility. Where else would a complete stranger be entrusted with small children's well being? I refused to take a small child down the mountain with me the Xmas before last because I had never downloaded in ski boots minus skies before and had never used that lift before either. My husband took one and it was a good job I was off first because they nearly came a cropper at the bottom. I grabbed the small child injuring my hand in the process but we all walked away. There was not a ski school or liftie around to help, they were too busy chatting with their backs to the lift!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One of mine kept falling asleep on the ski lifts. She happened to be sat next to the instructor the first time it happened, and fortunately he stopped her as she was sliding down. After that he stuck her next to him on every lift rather than risking strangers! She's older now and less sleepy, thankfully!

Said child also managed to cross skis and trip me up coming off a lift last season when she was eight. She was fine, I had bruises everywhere as it was proper solid ice (obviously) under the lift.

My own children are a liability, but every time I've had a ski school child on the lift with me, they've been beautifully behaved. They are always better for strangers!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gin. For you, not the kids....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Couple of years ago in Tignes, last week of French school holidays, lots of ESF kids around. We got on the Aiguille Rouge chair where they were using the ski school line to stick one small child on each chair next to an adult but they omitted to mention to any of us reluctant guardians that the kids in question couldn't get off the lift under their own steam. The kids didn't tell us either. It was utter carnage at the top and the liftie was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Why wasn't the instructor at the top helping his charges off the lift instead of down the bottom puffing on a fag? The end result was a lot of crying children at the top with no instructor to look after them and a lot of bruised and angry adults who had by then formed a very uncomplimentary view of ESF. I refuse to take any child on a chair these days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy