Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative to a metal scraper - base repairs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have a couple of big gouges out of my bases and am looking to p-tex them before the weekend.

I won't have time to get to my local ski shop however homebase is very close. Is there anything I can use from a standard DIY shop to take off the excess p-tex?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stanley sureform blades do it very nicely (the ones that look like a cheese grater, flex it gently, go carefully with light pressure and it will take down the excess without damaging the base
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without the handle?

https://www.homebase.co.uk/stanley-surform-moulded-shaver-tool_p003262
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can buy the same ‘ptex scraper’ that is sold at a premium by some ski shops from DIY stores or Amazon for half the price.

Search for the Bacho 665 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-Carbide-Edged-Paint-Scraper/dp/B000288LP6?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@roscoeh, i would use a longer version blade only as it is more flexible
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have used a very large carving knife in the past. It actually did a good job
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stanley knife blade held at both ends and gently pulled over the top of the Ptex towards you, shaving a little off each time until you get to the base. Then lightly sand and finish off with wire wool.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A wide, sharp wood chisel works well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I normal remove the excess with a wide chisel and then sad back to add structure.
I've used the edge of the other ski in an emergency and it worked well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@roscoeh, AS CEM said larger sure form, if using a metal scraper of any kind including Stanley knife bead work from the centre to the edge or you will pull the Ptex out, if using a chisel be very careful to not dig into the base, take a small layer of at a time
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't use a Surform, way too sharp! This is what you need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Feilenblatt-Grob-350mm-Karosseriefeilenblatt-Hobel-Raspel-Metall-Karosserie/111536502932?hash=item19f817f894:g:gjwAAOSwc6JaX8Uz

Up to you where you get it from, I've used these for 30+ years now Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Call me old fashioned but I used to use a plain metal edge. Admittedly, back in the late ‘70s
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, did it not catch on the screws used to hold the edges in?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gvj wrote:
A wide, sharp wood chisel works well.

Charliee wrote:
I normal remove the excess with a wide chisel and then sad back to add structure.....

This. A 25mm wide chisel is ideal. Hold as horizontal as possible. Waaaaay superior to any of the tools suggested above (I've used them all).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon, what’s wrong with the sureform blade?????, used them for many a year back in the day
latest report
Wide range of favourite tools! So it boils down to what suits the user and trims off the excess ptex without damaging the base.....
Maybe the OP could try some of the aforementioned tools on an old ski to see which works best for him before going for it on his faves!
snow report
CEM wrote:
@spyderjon, what’s wrong with the sureform blade?????, used them for many a year back in the day

Nowt wrong with it, just a sharp chisel is better as it'll make a flat cut as well as riding across the structure so setting a level etc. Plus you get a clear view of what you're cutting as opposed to the base being partially obscured.
snow report
I sometimes use a small plane that shaves off a thin slice with each pass.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, ...yep...25 mm chisel both cheap and very effective - keeps everything engineering-flat and is highly controllable - used the same chisel on ptex for 15 years still razor sharp. Perfect.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy