Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your views on Wengen, Murren & Grindelwald (reprise)

Poster: A snowHead
This one was the undisputed champion, the daddy, the longest thread of all time back on the SCGB forum. So lets start it again. Are you just back or are you just going? What did you think of it / what do you expect of it?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was waiting for someone to start this Very Happy

I've been there loads, and am considering going back this year - problem is, it looks like it might be Easter. Anyone know what snow conditions might be like then?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Errrmm, don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm too much but two threads went over 1000 on SCGB. Once there they got killed off. (Size constraints)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be honest, I never read the old thread - I couldn't be bothered reading 800 odd posts Embarassed But my wife quite fancies Wegen, mit sprogs, is that a good choice?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wengen is traffic-free, and therefore instantly successful for families. Add a good ski-school, amazing scenery, excellent cake-shops, and you can't go wrong.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tea 'n stickies! I'm booking it. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
....and world famous apple fritters at Brandegg Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
.... and freshly cooked Berliners from that guy in the main street. They cook them outside - it's impossible to pass by without having one NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They also do a very good rosti with two fried eggs on top at Brandegg Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Rosti may be good, but the TiPi is a must for a quick pick-me-up, before, during and after a full day's skiing (or boarding). It's even got it's own web site now http://www.tipirama.ch Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That reminds me of the famous, "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech. What a fool!

Never been to Wengen - looks like I might have to schedule it in!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got back from Wengen, and also skied there for a week about 10yrs ago. I wouldn't have chosen it normally, but we were in a group containing a couple of non-skiers, and that obviously rules out an awful lot of better resorts. For scenery it's probably the best I've ever been to, and the slow trains can actually be an advantage - because they run outside normal skilift hours you can actually have a longer skiing day here than in most resorts. I skied for 4 days and boarded for 4, and would reccommend it between early Jan and early Mar for anyone except expert-on-piste-only skiers. For novice boarders, a lot of the home runs are also irritatingly flat.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
masopa, (slightly off topic I know) If JFK was a fool, what does that make the current one? It may have been wrong but the German crowd knew what he really meant and it was a great bit of PR.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You're totally correct Pete - JFK was definitely one of the better US presidents of the last 100 years. When typing that, I had just finished watching a programme on News 24 about presidential campaigning and was in "less-than-positive" mood about the quality of their leaders.

Bring back Maggie! She would have had Bush Jr wrapped around her dominatrix cane! I always like Clinton - I think it always helps to have a leader of the only superpower who is able to tie his own shoelaces.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Following you off the JFK thread; I've recently read a biography of JFK and he comes out pretty badly (a womaniser of the most unpleasant kind; placed in the presidency by a wealthy overbearing family; having few useful policy ideas of his own - a fact hidden by his early demise). Clinton I had time for...

Back on Wengen etc... not sure when DG Orf is coming back or if he'll come and join us...but we need his support for this thread it flourish Very Happy
ski holidays
Mark v1.0 wrote:
The Rosti may be good, but the TiPi is a must for a quick pick-me-up, before, during and after a full day's skiing (or boarding). It's even got it's own web site now http://www.tipirama.ch Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Couldn't agree more - here's our group in the giant wigwam a couple of weeks ago:
Wigwam pic
latest report
You forgot to mention the fact that the whole thing was shaking in 50KMPH winds and ice was dropping off the inside of the wigwam at the time. Confused

It was a very good excuse for a warming drink. Laughing

Still the weather got better, along with the skiing

Then DG Orf arrived and skied down to Brandegg Exclamation Question
snow conditions
Marc, Sam's very much a Wengen fan. He was 6 when he last skied there, and it was very suitable for him. There's little that is very steep unless you actually look for it, although he did accidentally end up on the end of the Lauberhorn race track, and that is too steep. There are long blues on both sides of the mountain, the restaurants mostly have kids meals, and there are convenient loos at every station. The kids area in Wengen village looks fun. If the sprogs are under 12 look at the Kuoni and Inghams brochures, being Swiss owned they have very good kids prices. We're trying hard to decide between Wengen and Zermatt for next Feb half term.
latest report
He He I'm back Twisted Evil and got directed over here by Mountain Mad, by the way my other suggestion for a lunch break at Brandegg is the Alper Mackeronen mit Apfelmoos, at least I think that's how thes spell it, basically maceroni with potato and bacon bits in a cheese sauce served with an apple sauce, lovely snowHead By the way I'm known so well at Brandegg that as soon as I go in the restaurant they bring me my half litre of Apfelsaft Embarassed

The Berliners (that's jam donughts for anyone who didn't know) were great but a little expensive at 1.80 SFr a pop, I always like the Morenkopf's which are chocolate covered soft sponge which have a confectioners custerd center delicious though a little racist as they actually translate as black mans (moors) heads Shocked

Elizabeth I got back today and I'd say that Wengen is starting to need some more snow but Murren and First areas are still excellent as are the higher runs arround Wengen looks like Easter might be ok BUT ! ???.

If anyone has any Wengen reated questions I will do my best to answer them for you and if I don't know the answer I know plenty of people there who might and I'll ask them for you NehNeh

Right then I've been up for the last 15 or so hours so I think I shall turn in
ski holidays
D G Orf, Welcome aboard...and thanks for answering the question that I asked elsewhere the day before MO Day Very Happy
ski holidays
DG - good to see you here - a thread on Wengen is just not a thread on Wengen without you Very Happy
latest report
Well I've had a busy day today but just looked at the webcam picture from Wengen and it looks like they've had a reasonable dump of fresh snow today so the pistes for the next week or two should be good.

Now whilst I remember it my friends at the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen http://www.alpenrose.ch/ have a special offer on for 6 nights in the hotel with a 5 day ski pass there are 3 different rates depending on which dates you arrive and no they can't extend these to 7 days as they happen to have several 6 night gaps in their booking schedule but you end up with a 15% or so discount so you might want to give them a try and say I suggested you called.No I'm not doing this for a discount at the hotel as I already get a special rate which I couldn't better if I tried.
For those of you who like good food I thoroghly reccomend the Alpenrose, especially as Paul von Allmen (the owner) has just started cooking bacon and eggs for breakfast, a week last Monday was the first time he tried it and it was so popular he's carried on doing so, though I don't know if he'll carry it on for the rest of the season. Typically a buffet breakfast (cereals, breads, rolls etc, meat, cheese yoghurt, fruit and so on) in the morning and a fixed menu (Five courses inc. soup, starter, salad buffet, main course and desert) is included in the price, thursday nights are for buffet for everything after the soup course and Saturday nights you usually get a desert buffet, Friday nights always have fish for the main course although you can book a Beef Fondue for a supplement of 8 SFr instead, should you not like a particular item on the menu e.g rice as long as you let the staff at reception know in the morning (menu is posted outside the front door) they can arrange an alternative for you, likewise if you have a special dietry requirement the hotel will do its best to arrange a suitable meal.

Right then that's the advertising over for a little while at least Embarassed
snow report
I refuse to let this threa die Twisted Evil
snow report
Threads don't die on this one DG, unless Da Management turn on "pruning". That hasn't happened yet as far as I know. I think I need some sustenance after reading those sentences Laughing
ski holidays
Lots of news from the village (none of it relevant!) at http://www.wengenblick.com
latest report
Have to admit that I know of that sight, what makes it worse is I know who some of the coments are about NehNeh

Now for those of you who may be off to Wengen in the imediate future the forecast looks good, fresh snow for the next 3 or 4 days followed by clear but cold weather, if I had the spare cash I'd be thinking seriously about going back out there Blush
snow conditions
Well I came back from Switzerland, three weeks ago, in fact DG and I were out at the same time, and the skiing conditions were rather good. Just looked at the Web cam a few minutes ago and if the weather I saw was like that all day I would have stayed at home reading a book. It does bode well for skiing in the next week or so I guess though.

As usual the food was very good, I went a couple of times at least to a restaurant called the Jagerstubli (spelt right I hope) and they have really nice food there though afterwards you tend to want to sleep it off!!!!! Ask for the half portions, if you go by the half portions I dread to think how large a full portion is!!
latest report
Anne correct spelling... I think snowHead Today did rather look like a "Cards in the Eiger" type of day from the webcams Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DG
Going a bit off topic, your reference to Mohrenkopf reminded that in Austria (and possibly in Switzerland?) they have a dessert called Mohr im Hemd (literally Moor in a shirt!) which is a circular chocolate sponge pudding with a hole in the middle, covered in chocolate sauce -very tasty.
Whilst on the subject of alpine desserts (don't worry about the calories - you'll burn them off skiing Wink ) I suppose most people are familiar with the delights of Kaiserschmarren (chopped up pancake with fruit puree dusted in icing sugar) and Germknodel (a steamed sponge filled with poppy seeds and jam, served either with melted butter (too rich for me) or Vanilla Sauce (custard to us Brits) which is my preference. In Austria, if you ever see Salzburger Knockerl on the menu its worthwhile trying too - although usually its for a minimum of two and takes a good 30 min to prepare - its basically a baked meringue with various types of berries/jam inside. Talking of meringues I'm sure many of you know that the first meringue was produced in the ski resort of Meiringen in Switzerland (hence the name) Toofy Grin
Perhaps we should start another thread on Alpine Cuisine - we've still got the delights of fondues, raclettes, pierrades etc to discuss Exclamation
snow conditions
Actually that might not be a bad idea, I'm sure lots of people have favorite holiday food and drinks too
ski holidays
I've now started a new thread on the Piste Section entitled Alpine Cuisine Very Happy
ski holidays
I see via the web cam that it is another lovely day in Wengen for skiing rolling eyes. Oh well I suppose it is another good day to write those post cards.
latest report
Maybe if I ask very nicely Vincenz will send me some cakes, on the other hand with my luck they'd arrive in a soggy squashed lump, ah well roll on next winter Sad
snow report
The old thread came back from history but only lasted til now...shame,i had loads to say... !! rolling eyes rolling eyes

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 21-03-04 14:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
It doesn't need to end Smile
snow conditions
I have no intention of allowing it to close over the next 8 months till th esnow starts accumulating again Twisted Evil
snow report
Good.. This forum will keep me sane until the next season snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 21-03-04 22:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Did Wengen, First & Murren in 2002 Feb. None of them could be skied down to the bottom but the upper halves of mountains were OK. A bit windy at top of Kleine Scheidegg but nothing stood out partcularly good or bad.

First, though smaller, is a better place to ski than Wengen itself.

Both the wife and I like Murren most, perhaps of its top black run looks really scary and narrow on the cable car but seems reasonably wide when you are physically there. On our photos this Schilthorn black, like a sloping side of a pramid, does have a gradient to command respect.

From German Skiers I met they all seem to dislike this group of Swiss resorts because lack of snow and would rather go further into France instead. We find Crans Montana and Verbier to be better places to go too. The fact that the three are not physically linked doesn't help at all.

Had been keeping an eye on them on web cams. Lack of snow seems to be a fact difficult to dispute.
latest report
Pot luck i guess saikee. I was in Murren at the end of Feb 04 this year and i managed to ski down to Lauterbrunnen from Winteregg.

I'm glad you liked Mürren more (one for me David..lol) as i love it .. I must have pot luck too(not like those german skiers you meet) as everytime i go the snow is superb.
ski holidays
saikee I'm with Chris on this you were just unlucky, in 32 years I've only known it it be really bad twice, even then I could still ski back to the village bar 1 day all be it I might of had to ski on a closed piste to do so and jump from snow patch to snow patch, there are occasions when the weather is such that there is poor snow levels in the area, but then at other higher resorts you can get white out conditions and winds to severe for lifts to run in, I guess in the end you pay your money and take your choices.

Chris Anne will vote for Wengen I'm sure so were even NehNeh
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy