Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot flex opinions

Poster: A snowHead
Before b*ggring up my knees I was using a 110 ladies boot, recommended by a reputable fitter. Wasn't a problem unless in very cold conditions, and showed in ski response and increased skiing ability. But just wondering now if I should go for a lower flex boot.
I know flex varies between models/makers, so the number isn't necessarily the point.
I tried on a 90, I think, recently in a shop (black hawx ultra?) and it was very 'comfy' but felt quite soft and very easy to pressure and flex. I used to ski a 90 (Salomon x max) and it was also 'nice' and 'easy'.
Question, therefore: if I can still ski in my old boots, do I stay with them, or would my knees/legs thank me if I went softer? Would my skiing thank or curse me? How do you know when your boots are too soft or stiff?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How will a stiffer boot adversely affect your knees?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think there is the interpretation that a stiffer boot is 'harder' - ie less absorption - and the shocks will be transferred to your knees harder

This is a bit of a misconception IMO. In reality, using a boot which is too soft for your weight and skiing style will mean your knees end up over-compensating for the boots actually making it harder on your knees, not easier.

The only flex you need is the one which is right for you. If your knees are bollocksed for skiing then they're bollocksed for skiing, there is no boot which will compensate for them.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Grizzler, I think you are over thinking.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just gone the other way. I had really soft boots coz I thought that would be better for my weak knees. However that theory was poo pooed on here so I've gone up to 100's I'll let you know how that works out in 4 weeks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My (over-) line of thinking was along the line of effort required and very easily-tired muscles. Above comments on softer boots occurred to me too, but presumably having to push stiff boots or compensate for not fully pushing them is also an effort. Not sure which is worst.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just been to a bootfitter, and he told me my last boots were to big and to soft, so instead of my 29.5 80 flex boots i now have 27.5 110 flex, hopefully i might have more control over my skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizzler, stick with the 110's if you could ski them before no reason why not now, it is also possible to make most boots a bit softer so if they fit ok and just feel a bit stiffer than you want things can be done
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really struggle with soft boots. I skied down from a night tour tonight in my 85 flex light touring boots and definitely had to adjust my technique to not overpower them. It seemed to take a little more work as well as concentration.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IME. Speaking generally (for a less advanced skier), it is better to have boots that are too soft, than ones that you can't flex at all.....but the right flex (for your weight and ability), is the right flex.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
the right flex (for your weight and ability), is the right flex.

Ah, but I guess that this is my question. What is "ability" when it comes to ski boot flex (in a competent intemediate to advanced + skier), and how does it affect the choice of "right flex"? How is it affected, and what effects are cuased, when you have an injury or weakness?

I really should go out and test this myself, shouldn't I? Sadly, not enough access to snow time at present to make meaningful comparisons Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was a relative beginner when I bought my boots, but because of my weight (100kg.. plus Embarassed ) the bootfitter suggested that I go with Head Vector 110's and they are very flexible.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grizzler wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
the right flex (for your weight and ability), is the right flex.

Ah, but I guess that this is my question. What is "ability" when it comes to ski boot flex (in a competent intemediate to advanced + skier), and how does it affect the choice of "right flex"? How is it affected, and what effects are cuased, when you have an injury or weakness?

I really should go out and test this myself, shouldn't I? Sadly, not enough access to snow time at present to make meaningful comparisons Sad

I'm not really qualified to answer, but this is my view. It depends on:
- How fast you ski
- Do you really drive your skis with strong ankle flex
- How much leverage you can generate with your leg length
- How much Piste skiing you do, as "I think" if you spend most of your time Off Piste, you are better with a slightly softer boot.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to be a big boy of 110kg and have always skied hard.

I went for some Salomon Xmas 130 flex boots and they were great.

Now my weight is down to 95kg I find they are a bit too stiff so will be dropping to 120 or 110 soon.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am 76kg and could not get on with my old soft beginner boots. After visiting Sole Works in Cham they stuck me in some Nordica 130's and my skiing shot up couple of levels. They lasted 6 years. My next boots after that were the same flex Redsters which felt stiffer and again were like jumping into a sports car compared with driving my mum's Nova Laughing

Off piste I definitely prefer a slightly softer boot, although for 3 seasons the Redsters were my one boot for everything, even short tours.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 3-02-18 14:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Same as scarpa, was in Nordica 90 flex boots (wrong size thank you slush and rubble). Fitted with a snug but comfy pair of Atomic 130 trackers by someone in Bicester who knows his stuff, much better. Could be the fit or flex or both.

Only complaint was getting them on first thing, not a problem with my heated boot bag now.
ski holidays
Old Fartbag wrote:

- How much Piste skiing you do, as "I think" if you spend most of your time Off Piste, you are better with a slightly softer boot.

I suspect you are right based on my own experience. But it's not like we change boots often enough to get an idea what the optimum flex is for us. All I know is that my current boots (fitted in 2009) have a relatively soft flex number (95) but feel pretty good when I'm skiing. At least I know I'm actually flexing my ankles! Sometimes on piste they can feel on the soft side for sure, but I don't feel like they hold me back in any way. Having said that I would like to try a stiffer boot just to see the difference - easier said than done without actually buying another pair.
ski holidays
If they still work fine for you then stick with the 110s.
ski holidays
@ansta1, With a soft slightly too large boot I couldn't flex them much as the buckles were done up so tightly that it was blocking cuff movement Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

With a soft slightly too large boot I couldn't flex them much as the buckles were done up so tightly that it was blocking cuff movement

I had this too... No difference to me in the flex feel of a too big 100 flex boot to a better fitting 120 (both the same model)
latest report
@Scarpa, @red 27, I can go with that one rolling eyes Always struggle getting a good feel/fit on the shin/upper ankle even on a narrow well-fitted (so I'm told) boot.
All that I can conclude otherwise so far is that I can flex the 110s fine on a nicely-pisted blue to easy red (where's the brakes??!), but not so well on non-groomed and mild off-piste. Now, is that the need for a softer boot in the latter conditions or just, ho him, a certain issue of technique Laughing
ski holidays
Grizzler wrote:
... but not so well on non-groomed and mild off-piste. Now, is that the need for a softer boot in the latter conditions or just, ho him, a certain issue of technique Laughing

...or....Just eat more pies. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I have my old boots at about 100 flex, my new boots at 130, and my tourers at about 75, and I can ski happily in any of them - but not on the same skis! The soft tourers suit my soft touring skis, and with the other when I upgraded to 130 flex I found my old Salomon Daytonas were rubbish with the stiffer flex - but matched with 3Vs, or even Cham 107s were great, so my conclusion is that matching flex with the ski is just as important as matching it with the skier.
ski holidays
@RobinS, I agree to some (limited experience) extent - whilst my old 'intermediate' piste skis were and are still useable, when I got the 110s they definitely started telling me that I needed stiffer skis. 110s with my Scott Reverses seems to work nicely. The stiffer boots definitely power the skis, and the skis need to be able to take the power.
Someone will now tell me that I lack subtlety and finesse Cool
ski holidays
@RobinS, Defo, my Dynafit Ones at about 85 - 90 flex needed a very different technique on 120mm fat skis. And freeride boots on a SL ski felt too soft to really drive them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy