Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski & Boot Bags

Poster: A snowHead
I have recently purchased my first set of skis and boots for many, many years and I am off on two separate trips next year so need to buy bags to take them in.

I am flying on both occasions with Flybe (Southampton to Chambery) and have booked ski carriage which includes skis and boots. Therefore I assume I can take skis in their bag, boots in their bag plus my suitcase as well as a piece of hand luggage?

I have obviously spent a fair bit on equipment in one go this year so don't want to break the bank with bags (maybe £25 to £30 each??) - any recommendations or advice on the sort of thing to look out for?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally (and like many others) I have a 'boot pack' so that I can take my boots in hand luggage.

Reasons being (1) boots take a lot of weight out of your checked baggage allowance, and (2) my boots are probably the most individual thing within my ski kit, so if my luggage gets missing I might have to buy new clothes, I might have to rent some skis, but at least I won't be wearing rancid rental boots until my bag shows up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @dp, that all seems logical.

In this instance I am assuming that since I have paid for Ski Carriage, the boots and skis won't count towards my baggage allowance but it might be safer to keep those with me anyway and include anything I want for the journey in that bag.

Would love to hear anyone's reccomendations for particular ski or boot bags - things to look out for (good and bad), what is worth paying for and what is not...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tonyswift, have a look at what they have in Decathlon. We bought both our original ski bags from there and were just cheap ones they had and they have last several flights with no issues. They are still in great condition. We bought in the sales after last season a padded double ski bag as we will be flying with BA in Feb and that will form one of our checked in bags. However previously our skis haven’t suffered in the cheap bags we got.

I am sure they will have a range of boot bags as well. We have got quite a bit of gear from them especially for the kids - helmets, Goggles, gloves, and stuff for horse riding and swimming and I think they are fantastic value for money.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Look for a second hand double roller ski bag like the Dakine fall line or concourse. You can get skis, boots, and clothes in it which gives you flexibility for the fixture
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, I totally agree about Decathlon. Last year was our first year skiing as a family so lots to buy in one go for everyone. We got practically everything from there in one shopping trip (with a really helpful assistant) and they did us incredibly well! I have picked a few items to upgrade for me going into this season but the majority of what I bought is what I will carry on using. I will have a look at their bags.

@Themasterpiece, Thanks for the advice - Dakine was a brand I am keen on but price precludes it unless I find something good second hand which I haven't found yet. As both ski trips next year already include ski carriage and baggage, it is probably easier for me to stick with the separate ski bag etc but will certainly consider that for future trips...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought a new boot bag (which also contains a padded, protected section for a helmet) from Decathlon last season. It is superb and was excellent value for money. My two pairs of skis go in a Dakine roller; expensive yes, but good quality. So a combination of the cheap and cheerful and more expensive works for me!
Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LOTA, Thanks - very helpful. Certainly going to look at the Decathlon boot bags
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dakine low roller -- boots will go in pocket at either end (I've noticed that the current versions only have one pocket Sad )

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dakine-Low-Roller-Padded-Snowboard-Bag/253285436739?hash=item3af8fd0d43:g:Q5UAAOSwK~RaHyFh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAKINE-low-roller-snowboard-bag-165cm/253282357590?epid=1123257866&hash=item3af8ce1156:g:ki0AAOSwWCZaHP6Q
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@albob, both those you linked to are only 165cm long. Which was what we found when I was looking last April for a double ski bag. They were lovely looking bags and would take my ski’s fine but hubbies were too long for it. They used to do a longer bag similar looking design based on the recommendations given on here when I was looking but I couldn’t track one down. Saying that 165 MIGHT be long enough for @tonyswift?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, @albob, Unfortunately mine are 175 so not going to work but would love to find a suitable Dakine bag for around that price!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For me I have to say I never buy cheap bags. I personally believe that with sports gear, you genuinely get what you pay for. And whilst a cheap Decathlon bag might last you 10 trips, if the zip breaks on your ski bag as you're putting your skis into it immediately before you transfer arrives to take you to the airport, it's bad times for you no matter what the price you paid was.

Thus my boots are in a Dakine boot pack, which is a really comfortable way to carry boots, pants, jacket and helmet and an ideal way to take your boots on the plane. Day to day I cart a single pair of skis around in a Dakine skis bag, and for trips abroad I have a nice big Evoc double ski bag on wheels (I say double, it'd do about 6 pairs I reckon if you took the bindings off).

I'd watch the websites like Snow and Rock, Ellis Brigham etc to see if there's any deals on decent ski luggage. I don't think you can go wrong with buying quality kit. It's not a case that something which costs twice as much will last twice as long. It's more than something which cost half as much to buy will have cost half as much to make... it might last the same length of time, it might last less than half... but it's not reliable because it's made cheap. And it's when it goes wrong - which let's be honest won't be at a convenient time at home - that you're in trouble, especially with luggage.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, been looking at a few different options and how does this combination look?
Ski bag - http://www.sports-outlet.co.uk/categories/mens/luggage-and-backpacks/scott-single-ski-bag
Boot bag - https://www.snowandrock.com/p/dakine-boot-bag-30l-I4154022.html?colour=124
or
Boot bag - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/black-comfort-500-id_8398282.html
or even this for fuller features - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/grey-travel-700-id_8398283.html
The latter two from Decathlon say they hold a helmet as well so might be more beneficial if I want to minimise luggage in future trips??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have padded ski bag by Bentley. Had been excellent. I think this is the latest version: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004IJUZ7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Xn8jAbP443ZSG?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I recently bought a boot bag from rinskis. Got it as it meets the measurements for hand luggage. I can fit boots, helmet, gloves & 2 sets of goggles in it £30
snow conditions
@tonyswift, If flying with FlyBe from SOU then be careful of the internal dimensions of the cabin for a carry on. Don't take anything that is rigid. Get a flexible bag and top tip....... put a carrier bag inside. It won't take any room but if you are asked to check in then you can put boots in that and always get it on board. For BA (and I've checked it in the bag measurer) is this from RAB.

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/rab-kit-bag-50l-E2314354.html?colour=102

I got it on sale at £50. It is waterproof, is flexible and it has a basic rucksack back on it. This is better than a suitcase etc, because as you go form the transport stop to the hotel it may have snow on the ground. Putting this on the back allows you to drag the ski bag easily. Dragging a ski bag and also a suitcase is a pain.
snow conditions
@GlasgowCyclops, I really rate those bags, I have North Face base camp bags (basically the same thing) in all the sizes and use them for ski trips for the same reason... fits on your back and you can drag a double ski bag.

In fact if I'm going 'kitchen sink' style I can do my bootpack on my front, XL duffel on my bank and a double ski bag in tow and just pay the one extra bag Very Happy
snow report
Seeing a lot of brand snobbery vs Decathon here which is unjustified. Typically Decathlon is half the price for the quality. Just doesn't have a trendy label
ski holidays
@Posidrive, agreed Decathlon is good.
I bought the Snokart boot and helmet back pack online last season for taking in the cabin - it fits everything I need (bar skis of course) for the first day's skiing should my luggage go awol.
On the return trip I usually offer to put it in the hold but I take my helmet out. The back pack straps aren't removeable so it's best going on the bulky luggage conveyor with the skis.
Before packing, it''s always worth checking the airline baggage restrictions though, as they all vary.
latest report
Love decathlon. Most of my new gear/socks are wedze Happy
snow conditions
@Posidrive, no brand snobbery per se I just have a lot of Dakine gear and it's very robust so I tell other people it's worth buying.

To make cheaper stuff you have to make savings somewhere, that's just inevitable.

My ski gear is worth thousands, so I don't mind paying a premium to keep it in something I trust.

I'm not saying Decathlon can't be trusted, but I am saying I don't trust it and would prefer to use Dakine and Evoc because trust it I do.
snow report
I'm def not knocking decathlon, have quite a lot of stuff from them.

but I love my dakine luggage. currently have a split roller suitcase, low roller ski bag and heli backpack and absolutely love all the kit. most items are a few years old now, everything still works perfect and looks in good condition. all zips/ handles/ wheels still work perfect etc..... def not had any problems with any dakine kit.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy