Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter's here - Ski Sunday's back

Poster: A snowHead
Sunday 10th December Toofy Grin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-sports/42196502
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The theme tune is pure class
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I remember the BBC ran a competition to find a theme tune - I think it was for the 1976 Winter Olympics in Salzburg (Franz Klammer and co).

I entered, but lost out to this tune, which subsequently became the theme for Ski Sunday Madeye-Smiley

It's often been compared to (some unfairly say plagiarised from) part of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 4-12-17 16:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Ski Sunday theme is called "Pop Looks Bach" so the comparisons are quite possibly entirely warranted
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stephen buck wrote:
I remember the BBC ran a competition to find a theme tune - I think it was for the 1976 Winter Olympics in Salzburg (Franz Klammer and co).

I entered, but lost out to this tune, which subsequently became the theme for Ski Sunday Madeye-Smiley

It's often been compared to (some unfairly say plagiarised from) part of Bach's Toccata in D minor.

Plagiarised is a fair comment having just listened to it
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is debatable whether it is a Toccata (light touch) or Fugue (counterpoint around a theme). Bach was a great exponent of the style, but there were plenty of others (Widor was particularly good but less known).
The fact that the only Toccata and Fugue that most people have ever heard is the D-minor means that most people assume it is a plagiarism, but it's more an homage Smile

(I play the D-minor and a few others... AND the ski-sunday tune) Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Despite having been a devotee of Ski Sunday for decades it now feels that the theme tune is the best thing about the show. Far too many interviews of tedious people and it doesn't come close to giving me a skiing fix anymore.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Despite having been a devotee of Ski Sunday for decades it now feels that the theme tune is the best thing about the show. Far too many interviews of tedious people and it doesn't come close to giving me a skiing fix anymore.

Agreed, feels like too much time spent on the downhill when they could do more magazine type slots on tech developments etc
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's even questionable whether Bach actually wrote the Toccata & Fugue in D minor. There's a school of thought that it was Buxtehude.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whether plagiarised or not I use the tune as my ring tone. Every time the phone rings makes me think of being on the snow.

Agree about the changing format, but it is getting my son interested, which takes a lot these days with so many other distractions
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love ski Sunday, but do with they’d mix it up a bit. I tend to have watched all the FIS events, so it doesn’t bring a lot of new content for the committed World Cup follower. They both briefly did that program ‘High Altitude’ which was awesome, but sadly got cancelled.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
foxtrotzulu wrote:

2 days to find naysayer and it had to be you old son wink . And then they rest of you follow. Pity you can't be happy for those of us who do still enjoy it rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
akdaka wrote:
Whether plagiarised or not I use the tune as my ring tone. Every time the phone rings makes me think of being on the snow.

+1
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@halfhand, Sorry! Embarassed

I do still enjoy bits of it. Very Happy
snow report
I was once accused by Thornyhill of posting pretentiously on some classical music theme or other. I don't think he looks at threads about skiing but, if he did, this one would send him into a dead faint! Shocked
latest report
They do 'pad out' with interviews especially when the race(s) have been cancelled due to weather etc.

What is fast annoying me is the way they focus on Skiing being the highly technical racing (sometimes boringly), and the Snowboarding being the thing that is 'cool' focusing on slopestyle and big air - unless there is a big Ski Slopestyle event which they cannot avoid, the producers of Ski Sunday seem to like seperating the 2 sports distinctly. Even though a lot of the Ski slopstyle is of better quality (IMO) than the boarding slopestyle. Of course, I appreciate that it can't 'all be about skiing', but that doesn't mean that such hard divisions should be made.

Saying all that, I still watch it, and I still enjoy it.
ski holidays
Perhaps one of the challenges is that the programme needs/tries to cover the professional sporting aspect, the 'Wish you were here' holiday aspect, the amateur hobby/lifestyle aspect and a few other bits too. In addition, while there is obviously a cross-over between snowboarding and skiing there are also some fundamental differences too, especially in the viewer demographics. Those people who love to watch the men's downhill are not necessarily the same as those who want to watch the ladies half-pipe and so on. Ideally, there should be a range of shows but the number of viewers seems to be too small to justify it.

Just remembered - one bit of SS that I really enjoy is watching Graham Bell ski the downhill course with a GoPro strapped to his boot/helmet whatever. That does feel like skiing!
snow report
@Extremophile,
Quote:

They do 'pad out' with interviews especially when the race(s) have been cancelled due to weather etc.

At the risk of being a curmudgeon, I have yet to see any sporting interview that was worth watching - maybe because the journalists ask the same daft questions ...."So, what did it feel like winning the world cup". ..."You must have been really disappointed when you weren't selected". I am not interested in how they felt. I'd love to know more about what actually happened.
ski holidays
I always like to see what new features have been included in the VonnBots annual firmware upgrade. I hear the eye-twinkle rendering has been improved to 4k resolution now, two new 'thankful to my team' subroutine statements added (taking the total to 2, in time for the Olympics) and grip-strength has been upped to 2.4 metric tonnes per square inch.

Oh, and the beta of Ludicrous Mode off of the Tesla, which allows her to ski at Mach 1.3 in short bursts or fold a Buick Skylark in half if needed.
ski holidays
I won't be able to watch Ski Sunday next weekend.

I'll be watching the Men's Giant Slalom on the Face de Bellevarde live instead.

Then the following weekend I'll watch the Ladies Downhill on the OK piste.

I hope we have sunshine & blue skies as we did last year.
snow report
I really look forward to ski sunday, and will be watching it with my kids this weekend (has it started earlier this year?, am sure it normally goes out in January)
I even downloaded the ringtone yesterday!!

personally, i think it would appeal to more viewers if it returned to its previous format, "high altitude", as it had a good mix of both competitive racing, interviews and travel/challenge segments. with reference to the other thread about the bbc ski industry report, maybe even include, in depth holiday reviews, beginners guides type of things to appeal to a bigger audience.

it could feature families ski trips (I of course, am selflessly volunteering my services if they want!!), group/singles holidays etc.

didn't the bbc have a programme that was similar to "wish you were here"?
ski holidays
My ringtone too!
Plus I got piano score for it last year so that Mr P and I walked down the aisle to it at our wedding on 5th November. Unfortunately Gerald the organist, (who was 82 and has all the appearances of a man who lives in a dusty cupboard in the vestry) struck up at around half speed so at first I thought he had the wrong music-everyone laughed, so they obviously did recognise the tune..

I think there could be so much more made of ski Sunday-as everyone says, more of a magazine programme. Mind you, I always find it amusing when Graham Bell confidently predicts the outcome of the featured race as he is invariably completely wrong!!!
I still watch it though...anything to get my ski fix.
snow report
@Perty, when Mrs G and I were looking at getting hitched years ago, we looked into having a winter ceremony in Meribel where we met, but unfortunately a friend who owned a bar out there looked into it for us, and it did not seem possible at the time (cannot remember why, may have been residency issues?).

But, it would have been great to enter the church with the theme of ski sunday playing in the background, oh well, there's always next time. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

i think it would appeal to more viewers if it returned to its previous format, "high altitude"

Agreed - though I seem to recall reading on here that Mr Bell had been quoted as saying the Beeb couldn't justify the cost for the small nmumber of viewers
snow report
Used to like high altitiude, how much would a 5 min resort guide segment, 5 minute ski/board techniques segment and 5 mins of viewers questions cost ?

May be they should cut Gary Linekers salary to pay for something like that.
snow conditions
@stephen buck, @Fish_Head,
Quote:

Plagiarised is a fair comment having just listened to it

I don't agree - but then I could never get the similarity between My Sweet Lord and He's So Fine and George Harrison lost that one in court!
ski holidays
@jarjer, the beeb could even get Mr Lineker to do it for free, I once saw him and his ex Mrs in Courchevel (albeit 15 years ago)having a private lesson with the ESF, so I assume he still likes to ski!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always get the theme tune mixed up with the 'Horse of the Year' Show tune...!
snow report
First time getting up before the end. I lasted until 6pm. Thanks for the PC lesson on the LBGT and the orchestra whatsit but I wanted some skiing. Boring programme.
snow report
DJ Milf... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
iainm wrote:
I always get the theme tune mixed up with the 'Horse of the Year' Show tune...!

You're not alone Embarassed
ski holidays
Well, I've just watched and I enjoyed it. At the end of the day its a magazine programme not a ski racing programme. A good split between racing and non-racing.
latest report
@halfhand, agreed. Shame that I’d already watched the racing on Eurosport but I like the mix anyway. It’s good to have variety, if you just want ski racing then watch Eurosport, if you want to watch people bucking cliffs and skiing big lines then watch the free films on Red Bull TV.

I’d actually already seen the Gus Kenworthy video on BBC Sport website a few weeks back but still found a second viewing interesting. I know that to a certain degree it’s ‘quota filling’ by the beeb (same as there will be segments on people with disabilities later in the series) but I enjoy watching things like that which aren’t necessarily what you can see in the normal winter sports media. Racing and big lines are easy to find, back stories seem to be less common.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude good point. Now that almost all of the traditional magazines have gone, often replaced by websites regurgitating marketing blurb or recycling editorials or '15 things you never knew about blah, no.7 will AMAZE you' nonsense, the sections with Dave Ryding, James Woods and Gus Kenworthy were well worth it.
snow report
I enjoyed it yesterday. I hadn’t seen the super slalom before, and marvelled at how the racers coped with the conditions.
snow conditions
******Arrggg...soddying Apple!Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Just had to replace my iPhone after it died today. Got an iPhone SE..tried uploading my Ski Sunday ringtone (which didn't transfer across unlike all other data). I have had that ringtone for about 6 years. After downloading 4 difference Apps...I now realise that Apple has cancelled the old method of uploading them and you can't do it.
I really really really really really think it's time to put my business elsewhere...
ski holidays
I couldn't see any 'flat bits' on la Face!!

Love the Ski Sunday music, I had it as a ringtone for a while years ago but it got annoying.

Great to see the show back, especially from Val.
snow report
So sorry ............... I thought the Ski Sunday was simply .............. PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same old, same old again and again. ....... but with snow this time. Toofy Grin Sad
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, No need to apologise Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy