Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LIVE TR: La Tania 23rd to 30th December 2017 - WITH PICS!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Based on trips recent getting the wife and kids out of bed on the first morning proper is all but impossible. So I didn't set an alarm and allowed a 'natural' wake up. I got up at 9! The rest followed s l o w l y... After breakfast, sun creaming, sandwich making, faff we were out at 11. Shameful on such a lovely day I know. But a 10 year old girl can't be rushed! We headed up to the Col De Loze and skied direction Meribel via the Tetras piste. Thought the Altiport drag might give us a better in to the Meribel village. It didn't. So we followed the Foret track until we hit the piste proper and the down into Meribel. We then got Tougnette 1 & 2 up and skied down to the Chatelet chair to get access to Mont Vallon. Lunch was taken and then up Mont Vallon it was. We then skied the Combe piste and on down Ours into Mottaret. Up Pas du Lac and over into the Courcheval valley. Down to Le Coqs and up over into the La Tania section where we did another lift up and messed about in the trees on the way. We did 4999m vertical according to Ski Tracks.

We did a mix of piste and mellow off piste, with the odd gnarly bit. The 12yo boy is pretty game for anything. He took a couple of falls here and there but dusted himself down and got on with it. The 10yo was struggling at times with broken up and rutted powder - so me and the wife had to ski a bit of piste with her. She doesn't have too much of a problem with a smooth powder slope. I still get caught out with how stressful and difficult it can be skiing with the kids. I guess you'd say it's doubly satisfying when it's going well but much harder when it's not. There is always the heavy responsibility of keeping them safe whilst having as much fun as possible.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 2-01-18 18:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Courchevel - #justsayin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, What time did you leave Calais ? (just getting info for a summer trip...)

Who's cooking Christmas Dinner ?! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Layne, although a later start than you would have liked, it still sounds like a good day was had.

I take it no skiing today?

Oh... Merry Christmas to you and your family.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

You are joking!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cad99uk wrote:
Quote:

You are joking!

You never know! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh yeah, defo skiing on Christmas Day. Especially has laddo got a new snowboard and boots for Christmas.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, as usual, the start time is being slowly pulled back. Was at the lift at 10ish today. To be honest we would have been there sooner but muppet dad (that be me) tried to slice a finger off while making the packed lunch. Must have lost half a pint! Because the family is half German we had our christmas dinner and present opening (limited selection due to room in the car) yesterday evening. As mentioned above my 12yo son got a new board and boots (well, they are used but look like new!). They also got some new merino wool thermals and a skiing t-shirt each. Not there we are obsessed by a certain activity. So anyway matey obviously had to take his new board out today. It's a tad big for him and I suspect it will be another season before he gets the best out of it but he had good ride around on it today and despite his frustrations he was pretty good. We skied all day in the Courcheval valley, working our way round the mountain. Up Suisse and then over to Chanrosa. We did one run down there and then back up and over into the Courcheval 1650 sector. Had an early lunch did a bit more over there. And then worked our way back. Bits of tracked out off piste, the occasional powder flurry, a few jumps and off shoots. At then end of the day daughter got out the boys old board and did an hours messing about on the nursery slope.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 22-03-18 15:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Using Orange paid for wifi. 20 Euros for 30 days. Wasn't a sensible option for a week and 20 isn't too bad. And then Connectify to allow everyone access. The Orange connection is a bit glichy. Have to reboot my laptop a time or two to get it back on. Which is a bit annoying.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pistes are in great nick for sure. Everything is open and there are very few bare patches and very few sections not offering good grip. Honestly if you like skiing pistes you couldn't be happier. Skiing down the Coqs piste early this morning was the most perfect learning piste you could imagine. The off piste is heavily tracked out and you have to work hard to find something worthy of the name.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weather looks like taking a turn over the next couple of days. It's been really settled since we arrived. But looking like a good dump on Wednesday. Hopefully mostly overnight. The week could turn into a humdinger. Fingers crossed. Thinking about getting out early and heading over to Val T while the weather holds tomorrow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ansta1 wrote:
Courchevel - #justsayin

Ha ha - indeed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Taken on Saturday afternoon - you can just see La Tania bottom right

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Signature move from the crew

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 25-12-17 23:11; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Slope through the trees down to La Tania

ski holidays
Misters new board

ski holidays
Layne wrote:
Misters new board

Oh how I love the historical (work) irony.
ski holidays
Indeed @ansta1 lol
latest report
The weather started clear and even a bit sunny today. There was cloud and snow forecast but the exact timing and heaviness wasn't totally clear. It wasn't meant to be to windy though - thus we made the call to get over to Val T for the first time this week. We got the cable car and chair up to the Col de Loze and then headed down the boulevard as far as it would take us and continued to traverse to the Saulire Express 2. They had slots in the middle of the cabin to put your ski's. Funky. And then down into Mottaret and up Platieres. Last time I rode that lift it was a bunch of old eggs with disney characters painted on the side. Thankfully it's now a bright new spangly lift. Platierres 3 hasn't changed much though! By this time the weather had detiorated a bit. But it was only 11:30 and visibility and wind was still OK so we pushed on over into the Val T valley. But we decided on not spending loads of time or going to high. We ended up down at Mont de la Chambre which thankfully has a hood. The piste looked nice on the way up. So we did it and went up again. We then decided to ski down Venturon back into the Meribel valley. Because of the flat light and intermittent moderate snow it wasn't suitable for doing much off piste. But the visibility was good enough to be able to relax and enjoy the piste skiing.

We lunched at Plan de Mans/Mont Vallon lift junction. We then headed up Plan de Mans and down through the Snowpark area which was quite extensive and then on down into Mottaret and up Pas du Lac over into Courcheval. We skied all the way down to Le Praz. Took Foret up and skied Jockeys which was really nice in the now quite heavy snowfall. We went back over into La Tania and did a couple more runs to complete the day.
snow conditions
Everything is Green!!!

snow report
Braving the elements at the Col de La Chambre

ski holidays
Lunch spot at the head of the Meribel valley

snow report
Skiing down Brigues towards Le Praz late afternoon

snow report
My daughter skiing in splendid isolation down to La Tania through the trees

ski holidays
Views from our balcony of La Tania

latest report
Very Christmassy in the town

snow report
Looking very grey and cloudy this morning and stormy weather due to blow in PM.

Probably won't be venturing too far then but will be out there shortly.
snow report
Frustratingly slow getting everyone out this morning. Does anyone else suffer from family faff? As vis was poor higher up and weather expected to close in later the plan was to ski on the other side of Meribel a bit and then head back over to Courcheval, use the new salle hors sac above 1650 and ski the lower echelons down to Le Praz and La Tania. We went up and over the Col de la Loze. The Boulevard was closed I noted. We skied Pic Bleu down. The pistes were really great to ski. Eventually ended up getting the Morel chair lift to gain a bit of height to get down to Meribel Centre. Morel must be about the most tranquil lift I've ever been on. Very gentle going up through the forest. It's not a long lift mind. We crossed over in Centre to the Roc de Fer chair lift. This is in much need of an upgrade! We then got Olympic up and skied the Face piste. It was quite hard work with rutted piste under the fresh snow. It got better as we went down. It's a bit strange with my daughter at the moment who is skiing well enough but seems a bit sluggish and seems to want to stick to the piste. Also, the missus is struggling a bit for fitness, with her boots and eyewear.

Anyway up the Saulire Express and over into the Courcheval valley we went. We went down Creux because it was the simplest way down to 1650. But it's a bloody dull piste! Up Roc Mugner chair and then down to the top of the new Ariondaz bubble. Here there is a spanking new indoor picnic room. Sort of sparse but certainly a nice place to have lunch on a day like today. In the half an hour we were there the weather turned into a full blown whiteout. We did a long traverse over to the Aiguille Fruit chair and then skied down past the Altiport and on towards 1850. At the lower altitude things became a bit more pleasant. We continued all the way down to Le Praz.

It was a little after 3 at the bottom and it was decided that our 10yo daughter would finish the day with a bit of snowboarding. She'd not really done a full slope up to now and the options out of La Tania are a bit limited. There are no chair lifts, a steep drag and a bubble that goes a fair way. After discussion the last option was chosen. At least there would be no hassle getting on and off the lift and the long blue piste down called Folyere at least provides a great learning slope. After we gone up the Foret chair from Le Praz the weather actually brightened briefly and I could almost see the sun but it wasn't to last and after skiing down she ended up doing her maiden full snowboard piste run in heavy snowfall a bit of wind and poor light. To be honest it wasn't too bad. The run is through the trees all the way with no real complications and once she got going she could be make 2 or 3 linked turns and doing a bit of straight lining. I think it took about an hour in the end and she was at the bottom at around 4.45. She was one of the last off the piste but not by much. And having been a little lacklustre on this holiday she really loved the run down on the snowboard. And she clearly felt no after effects as she was dancing on and off for 40 minutes after dinner!!

The snow appears to have subsided this afternoon and the forecast for tommorow seems to be a lot calmer with just some snow showers, all be it colder, before another wave of proper snow hits later on Friday. Getting out of resort on Saturday is a slight concern. However, the temps are supposed to rise again and the moderate snow at altitude may fall as rain down here at 1300m. Packing the car on Friday will be fun though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sans Hors Le Sac at the Arion at Bel Air above Courcheval Moriond aka 1650

ski holidays
View from the picnic hut - let it snow, let it snow...

ski holidays
Young un takes a slug of water whilst doing her maiden voyage on a board

latest report
Snowy scenes at La Tania late afternoon

snow report
Daughter snowboarding in the blizzard

https://imgur.com/xfRyLKk.mp4
snow report
Today is what many of us consider the creme de la creme of ski days. Awoke to a very snowy and cold scene. There was still light snow in the air and mist/cloud at altitude. But having got the lifts up to Chenus we skied of down left direction 1850. The off piste first of all on the open face and then through the trees was a real treat and very whoopy! So good in fact we got the old and tired Chenus lift back up and did it again. This time we got Jardin Alpin up and skied down to Pralong. We then found some nice stashes on the way down to Roc Mugner - again mostly though the trees. After we skied down to Chapelets, again finding some nice powder. Chapelets feels really isolated but there is some great tree skiing off to the left as you are going up the lift, which we duly took advantage of. We then returned over to the Roc Mugnier piste and then off to the right to ski the steep slope, again through the trees. The wife then put a spurt on back to the apartment so our daughter could have another snowboarding spin to build on yesterdays exploits, whilst me and laddo dicked about in the powder all the way home. We did one last spin up the La Tania gondola eventually catching up the mum and daughter. A fine days skiing and a shame it had to end. Temps were down to -8 to -10 for much of the day. A little bit of sun broke out a couple of times but generally it was cloudy with a flutter of snow. Whilst visibility was generally fine, the light was flat a lot of the time hence the trees really were your friend today.
snow report
Which way boss?

snow conditions
A nice man points the way

latest report
Icy poles

snow report
The powder bites back!

snow report
Tonights dinner!

snow conditions
Awesome day. Cloud was high and not snowing until around 2pm so you could see the whole of the valleys for the first time in a couple of days or so. We headed straight up the Col de la Lose and down off piste at first on open slopes and then through the trees. Some good powder bumps to bounce over. Eventually we joined the piste down to Meribel Centre and went up Roc de Fer and Olympic on the other side. We then skied straight off over the back into the wide open off piste down into St Martin. You are quite away from the pistes and lift systems and with only only another couple of pairs of skiers for company it was great experience if a little scary with two younger children. We could pretty much see St Martin all the time mind. There a couple of cliff bands to wary of and a few route variations. But in general it's not gnarly and the conditions as they are a great ski. We then got the bubble and express chair back over into the Meribel valley. Skiing more deep powder to lunch at a picnic table with a great view down the valley. After we continue off piste down to Pas du Lac. My son lost a ski and I was chuffed that my ski slicing technique located it after 3-4 minutes. Once at the top of Pas du Lac the weather was closing in again and the predicted snow was starting to fall. So we went down the Combe de Saulire piste and did a couple of runs through the snowpark before skiing down to Le Praz, which was really pleasant. I then did a run with my daughter snowboarding while mum went with laddo - who apparently completed his first 360 jump. A top day all round!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy