Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Womens Advanced Piste skis (edit from all mountain)

Poster: A snowHead
Blush I'm trying to convince my french girlfriend she needs new skis and boots. A bit difficult as she is already a far better skier than me with her 15 years old rear entry boots and 10 years old Rossignol something piste skis. The French aren't gear whores like us but I think I'm getting there.

She's 46 about 165 cm and athletic. She has skied since she was very young and her parents have owned an apartment in Alpe d'Huez for 40 years. She's a teacher so gets to ski a lot, perhaps 5 weeks plus some weekends. She doesn't really do off piste as she is risk averse but loves (and is very good at skiing) moguls. She skis very fast on piste. She does however fancy skiing La Grave this year but not when it is knee deep in pow.

I think something in the 80 - 85 mm range would suit. Any suggestions?

Grrr women. After talking to the owner of her favourite shop in Alpe d'Huez she's decided she wants a pure piste ski rather than All Mountain. Thinking Dynastar Intense 12. Rossignol Famous 10 was possible but longer lengths unavailable. Anyone know these skis or any other suggestions?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-01-18 8:35; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So something fairly stiff then? Atomic Vantage maybe, or for something a bit more all mountain I think the Nordica Santa Ana comes in a 90... Or if you want more racey, try Kneissel white/red/black stars.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Two possible skis:

Rossignol Temptation 84 HD
K2 ThrilLUVit 85

They were winners in the SCGB AM test for this season. If of interest, I can summarize their description.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers. I think stiff yes but I suspect the ones she has are anything but now. I think 90s may be too wide and the K2s not advanced enough. Not sure whether Kneissels are available in France I'll check. Rossignols are a good call, the French love French brands, the Atomics too. What about Head, Total Joy?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Claude B wrote:
Cheers. I think stiff yes but I suspect the ones she has are anything but now. I think 90s may be too wide and the K2s not advanced enough. Not sure whether Kneissels are available in France I'll check. Rossignols are a good call, the French love French brands, the Atomics too. What about Head, Total Joy?

Are you sure about the K2s (and you may well be)? According to the review: "At speed they are incredibly stable".

On the stability front, the Volkl Flair 78 was also a winner....only 2mm short of width.....and looks like it had the best On Piste performance in the AM catagory.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 28-10-17 19:20; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Claude B, I’ve tested lots of women’s skis and they can be a bit noodly for advanced skiers but 165cm isn’t really big enough to get into men’s ranges. However, I’ve found generally, that if you go for the most advanced (read: expensive) model in a given range of piste/all mountain ski, they’ll probably be ok.

If you want Kneissl skis, contact @Swiss Tim directly.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, Cheers. Her current ones are probably 168/170 so in her mind she think she wants similar. Colour is important too though Very Happy

I know when I bought advanced piste skis for my daughter when she did her BASI1 at 16 it was a problem as she was so light finding ones short enough was a problem.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Old Fartbag, i looked briefly and they were badged, beginner to intermediate. I'll look at the Volkls too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Claude B, probably want about 160s wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, I'm sure she'll want to test a few. I've still got to convince her but we were talking about it this week whilst she was here.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Claude B wrote:
@Old Fartbag, i looked briefly and they were badged, beginner to intermediate. I'll look at the Volkls too.

I see what you mean.I was going by the SCGB assessment, which said they were suitable for Experts.

The Volkl certainly looks as if it might fit the bill better.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Claude B, this may help. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/gear/the-best-skis-for-women/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Claude B

Check your mailbox
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Awdbugga, cheers, saw that earlier where I got the idea of Head Absolut Joys.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like the K2 Expert model is the OoolalLUV 85Ti....it's good, but on the expensive side.
http://www.snowmagazine.com/ski-gear/955-skis/k2-ooolaluv-85ti-2017-18

Edit. Left field choice - Head Titan.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 29-10-17 12:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Scarlet wrote:
So something fairly stiff then?

Resisting the urge to comment... Shocked
ski holidays
@dp, good Saturday night out wink Twisted Evil

@Claude B what does she weigh? Height is more or less meaningless.

Also. You could give her a bit more girth. 85mm these days is somewhat restricted.
ski holidays
@under a new name, I daren't ask 😊 she's not stick thin. I think she'd resist anything wider tbh.
latest report
I have to disagree with the notion that 165cm height is too small for "men's" skis. I'm 165cm tall (5ft 5 in old money), female, 60kg nearly 52 😖, and largely ignore the "men's/women's" designation. I'm a good advanced skier, but probably not as good as your girlfriend. We go ski testing each November to Zermatt. The stand out ski for me over the last 2-3 tests was the Blizzard Brahma in 173 length. Despite the width-88mm- it was amazing on piste and held its edge magnificently. In the end I could resist no longer and bought a pair in the sales at the end of last season- yet to have the bindings mounted so counting down to my first go on them.
This season's Brahma has been tweaked a bit and they have two versions. It's quite a stiff ski, but I think it's been softened ever so slightly in one format. I think the female version is the Black Pearl, though I have to say I wasn't blown away when I tried it- possibly because I went for the 166cm at the time.
snow report
@Claude B, you don’t know till you try. She seems to have enough snow time, go testing. It’s fun.

I’m afraid I have no French brand suggestions. Despite being a long time Rossi fan, I am now very much in the Volkl/Blizzard camp.

I also love skiing bumps and find my 98mm Bonafides like them too. Provided you ski with reasonably modern technique, they are pretty awesome all round.
snow report
I think we will have a day testing, probably in Alpe d'Huez. She needs to change her boots first though. Hers are positively archaic 😯 Some good suggestions.
snow report
@Claude B, boots haven’t really changed tech. If they are still snug... don’t change.
snow report
Can't imagine they are, similar to these, 15 years old 😯
snow conditions
@Claude B, ah.

Your task is ...
snow conditions
@under a new name, Yes I think she's recognised it's time for a change.
ski holidays
@Claude B, Kastle LX82, ......

the blurb........"The Kastle LX 82 is a lightweight and smooth ride for the strong intermediate to expert skier. A Silver Fir Woodcore is encased in Fiberglass and a Titanal Layer above and below it that provides a sturdy longitudinal flex, with a stiff torsional flex that makes the LX 82 highly responsive and energetic when you want to hit top speed carving short to medium radius turns. Kastle's Hollowtech Technology pulls heavier material away from the tip of the ski that reduces vibrations and lowers the swing weight of the ski to improve maneuverability. Rocker in the tip of the LX 82 provides you with lightning quick turn initiation, while the camber underfoot delivers edge hold and rebound. If you like skiing fast, and want a lightweight ski that will keep you stable at fast speeds, the Kastle LX 82 will be a great ski for you."

Mrs Skimastaaah demo'ed the Kastle LX82 a couple of seasons ago and really loved them for their versatility on piste. However she went and bought the LX92 as a more "all-round" ski that performs exceptionally well on piste even with the slightly wider footprint that works well in the soft stuff.

Kastle skis are not cheap in the shops, but clever searching can get these skis at bargain prices.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Claude B, you don’t know till you try. She seems to have enough snow time, go testing. It’s fun.

I’m afraid I have no French brand suggestions. Despite being a long time Rossi fan, I am now very much in the Volkl/Blizzard camp.

I also love skiing bumps and find my 98mm Bonafides like them too. Provided you ski with reasonably modern technique, they are pretty awesome all round.

You should try some Dynastar's now they've ditched the Cham stuff and brought back the Legends.

Old Legend 2000 were some of the best skis I've used in bumps, and the new Legend 96 would probably be right up your street.

Legend W88 could be spot on for the OP's gf.
ski holidays
@clarky999, I know it’s not the right answer but I don’t need new skis...

I haven’t been a Dynastar fan since the original Course with the red shock absorbers, which were lovely.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, not suggesting you should update on the Blizzards; just think they're the sort of ski that might tempt you back towards French brands in future, with a more Völkl/Blizzard build than Rossi/Salli
ski holidays
@clarky999, ah, indeed, thanks for the tip. snowHead
snow report
Managed to drag her into a large Decathlon near Marseille this week. She tried on 3 pairs of boots, advanced women's Rossignol and Salomon. Just to get a bit of a feel really. Declared all were far more uncomfortable than her existing pair which she thinks are actually nearly 30 years old 😯 Reasonably large feet for a woman, 25.5 probably. Next stop a proper bootfitter in Alpe D'Huez or Les Deux Alpes I think.

Looked at a few pairs of women's skis (Rossignol, Salomon, Atomic, Head) in the 77/80mm range. She's convinced she wants 165cm+.

This is not going to be easy 😯
ski holidays
@Claude B, Fall-Line's female testers were big fans of the Dynastar Legend W88 - and it does come in longer lengths than 165 (why do you think she should be on shorter?): http://www.fall-line.co.uk/dynastar-w88-best-womens-all-mountain-piste-ski-2018

FWIW my old Dynastar Sultan 85s were probably the best mogul ski I've ever had (thinking about it, I might have to pinch them back off my Dad!).
snow conditions
@clarky999, I don't necessarily think she does need shorter. The piste skis she has now are taller than her. If she gets some boots I'll probably get her skis for Christmas. Although she's skied for ever she knows nothing about modern equipment 😁 I'll put the Dynastars on the list. Once the season has started I think she'll get some advice in resort she knows some of the shop owners.
ski holidays
Quote:

Edit. Left field choice - Head Titan.

why is that a left field choice? Would have thought it was an obvious all mountain option for an accomplished skier?

My boy is 15, 168cm but only 50-odd kgs.
He'll be on rossi experience 88's in 172 this season - quite a stiff all mountain ski.
Arguably it is a bit much for him but it won't be in practice - he's athletic and has the technique to apply plenty of edge angle so he'll bend them fine.
Can't imagine @Claude B's gf wouldn't be able to handle something like Head Titans given the description.
ski holidays
I'd say definitely 165 plus length is a good plan. Don't let the ski shops sell her shorter ones just cos she's female, esp anything with rocker.
snow report
@Perty, I'd like to see them try anything she doesn't want 😯
latest report
Ummm, particularly for a piste ski, little advantage in going longer than you need...
latest report
@under a new name,

Quote:

Ummm, particularly for a piste ski, little advantage in going longer than you need...

I think shape is more important than length though. Shorter skis tend to be less rewarding on longer turns because of their natural radius
snow report
@jedster, shape, aye, and torsional rigidity.
snow report
Head Total Joy = 84mm waist.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy