Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY split board project

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering getting my first splitboard, as a few mates around here have already shelled out for new touring gear this season. But I've never tried it so am not sure it's going to be worth 1000+ bucks.

I've no intention of going above 2300m on them and will be mostly flaffing around in the 1500-2000 zone.
Am wondering should I just get a good pair of raquettes / snowshoes and carry the board. Given that I walk a lot in the hills anyway, am reasonably fit for short hikes (1-2 hours).

But when I asked intersport, they said raquettes weren't designed for using with snowboarding boots, do still undecided.....top end raquettes or 2nd hand split?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@langball, maybe the ones Intersport have to sell you aren't, but I've worn snowshoes with snowboard boots before - in fact I can't really see how any snowshoe which will accommodate a normal hiking boot or snow boot would pose any problem to a snowboard boot.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Richard_Sideways, yep doing more research now it seems MSR Denali ascents are the boarders top choice. New ones are less than 200 eur. Someone mentioned getting tails fitted for powder.

So splits are going to best for long hikes and regular powder. Different for everyone but given my circumstances am tempted to snowshoe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

For the average tourist they're pure romance ...... for more hardcore riders who spend lots of time riding, maybe season out there and are tired of the norm then yes, they could make sense. As a percentage of UK riders I'd aver that's much less than one percent of travellers ........

Quote:

Lessons learnt. Split boards are ok in easy terrain. And with others on a group using them. Start going into more severe technical terrain and the riders become a Feckin liability in a group.

So much hate for split boards.

Lets be honest, most people don't need to be anywhere near "more severe technical terrain" so the spits limitations aren't such a big deal.

I love mine - have done some super cool touring backcountry trips to ride the most amazing powder. I don't find my spit it particularly compromised to ride, it is lush in power and fine on other stuff. I even rode it all week on a piste holiday when bad weather and a lack of snow put the kabosh on guiding and enjoyed it on hardpack.

For sure a split is more faffy and isn't as good as actual skis for ski touring, but then i'm awesome downhill on a board and I can't really ski so I have't got the option! Very Happy

Spark hardwear, Black Diamond’s Compactor Poles and carrying the tiny MSR Alpine Dish Brush and Scraper in our pocket to brush out bindings makes a huge difference in ease/time.

I quite like the idea of approach skis - the MTN ones where you fold and go look good for super quick transitions - but I don't think I could cope with an extra 3.5kg on my back on the descent. I already find carrying the necessary heavy enough on day tours. Actually guess its only an extra 2.8kg cos that includes skins, but still, too much extra for me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy