Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheap transceiver

Poster: A snowHead
hi
wonder if anyone can help. I'm interested in picking up a cheapish transceiver. won't be using it loads so only want to pay around £100. wondering if anyone had seen a half decent one on sale anywhere.
many thanks
Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You may be able to get an Ortovox zoom second hand for that.

I have a 3+ but I have to admit that the best one I have personally tried is the mammut baryvox. Seriously fast at fininding something.

Digging the victim out is another thing Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TOOTIE, Don't forget the probe and shovel that you must also carry. A transceiver without the probe and shovel is useless for digging someone out.

So something like this, assuming you already have a suitable backpack:

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/ortovox-avalanche-rescue-set-zoom-17-p-1-30850.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2qTnwpqq1gIVW5SyCh3vNw2yEAQYAiABEgJIGPD_BwE#ectrans=1

Don't be tempted by any really old transceivers, the minimum should be a 3 antenna model. If you find something check on this site for the review:

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/transceiver_reviews.asp
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
...have to admit that the best one I have personally tried is the mammut baryvox. Seriously fast at fininding something.
(

I remember you liking that, and ended up buying the package including probe and shovel after our instructor guy recommended 'em on the EoSB.

Just wish I had another so I could close my eyes and throw the spare into long grass for practice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Just wish I had another so I could close my eyes and throw the spare into long grass for practice.

This is well worth doing, as range and search path varies with the orientation of the transceiver being searched for (I wouldn't recommend throwing it though Shocked). I also recommend searching from waist height, rather then dropping down to the ground, which is fine for a buried transceiver, but not really representative when the searched for transceiver is on the surface.

If you haven't already tried the intelligent search on the Barryvox in the advanced mode, I suggest you give it a try (you need the version 4.0 firmware). I found it to be spectacularly accurate, as once you enter the fine search range the intelligent search takes over and it guides you with a sequence of arrows (back/front and side to side), and then triangulates the location and gives you a probe circle. I've tried test searches many times and it locates within 10cm.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought a package from blue tomato in Germany but a uk supplier may be cheaper with current exchange rates.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PowderAdict wrote:

This is well worth doing, as range and search path varies with the orientation of the transceiver being searched for (I wouldn't recommend throwing it though Shocked). I also recommend searching from waist height, rather then dropping down to the ground, which is fine for a buried transceiver, but not really representative when the searched for transceiver is on the surface.

If you haven't already tried the intelligent search on the Barryvox in the advanced mode, I suggest you give it a try (you need the version 4.0 firmware). I found it to be spectacularly accurate, as once you enter the fine search range the intelligent search takes over and it guides you with a sequence of arrows (back/front and side to side), and then triangulates the location and gives you a probe circle. I've tried test searches many times and it locates within 10cm.

That's a useful tip, thanks. I've not really played with it much due to having nothing to search for, but I'll look into the firmware etc as I don't remember seeing anything like that in the instruction book.

EDIT: Ahh... I see that's on the Pulse model, I only have the basic Element.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As an aside - If anyone near the wirral with a transceiver (particularly those new to it like myself) fancies meeting up for a quick bit of search practice/refreshing, let me know:)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TOOTIE wrote:
hi
wonder if anyone can help. I'm interested in picking up a cheapish transceiver. won't be using it loads so only want to pay around £100. wondering if anyone had seen a half decent one on sale anywhere.
many thanks
Very Happy

To be honest I don't think anyone wants to use their transceiver 'loads'. (Or even at all)

I spent £250 on mine because even if I only have to use it once I want it to be the biggest loudest brashest transceiver on the entire mountain... I don't want to be lying upside down in what might become my snowy grave wondering if my cheap transceiver is up to the job
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dp wrote:
TOOTIE wrote:
hi
many thanks
Very Happy

To be honest I don't think anyone wants to use their transceiver 'loads'. (Or even at all)

I spent £250 on mine because even if I only have to use it once I want it to be the biggest loudest brashest transceiver on the entire mountain... I don't want to be lying upside down in what might become my snowy grave wondering if my cheap transceiver is up to the job

dp, don't matter about the quality of the transceiver if you don't actually have it on when caught in a slide. Just sayin' Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
dp wrote:
TOOTIE wrote:
hi
many thanks
Very Happy

dp, don't matter about the quality of the transceiver if you don't actually have it on when caught in a slide. Just sayin' Toofy Grin

Or you're buried deep because you didn't get your airbag handle out. Just sayin' wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
See if you can find a BCA tracker.
They're simple to use, don't have tons of functionality you'll never work out how to use, but they're awesome.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TOOTIE, no such thing as a cheap transceiver, only difference is one that works and one that doesn't. You don't want to be the wearer of the latter. Your choice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I'd not skimp on paying for anything, but I expect that you'll find that any transceiver which isn't ancient and which works will do the job.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@TOOTIE, no such thing as a cheap transceiver, only difference is one that works and one that doesn't. You don't want to be the wearer of the latter. Your choice.

That's just not true. More modern transceivers are typically easier to use in search mode. Older second hand ones can be in full working order and will allow you to be found just as easily as a modern one but they require a bit more skill and practice to use in search mode.
It's definitely not binary work or doesn't work.
(personally I'd pay up to give myself a better tool for rescuing other people but if money was tight and realistically I wasn't going to be well enough practiced to be any use as a rescuer then buying a chepa s/h one would not be a stupid idea).
latest report
@jedster, but is there not the thought that if you can't use it, why put yourself in a position where you might have to use it to save someone else.

I get that you have to be a little selfish in this regard and I would still always say have one regardless as i've been in that situation myself of lacking knowledge. But at the same time if you're putting yourself in a situation then be well enough equipped and versed as to be able to help out if required?
latest report
(politely...) I think the point, well mine at least, is that any modern transceiver will work.

You can pay more for arguable minor gains in range, or features which most people will never use under duress. I don't think there's any evidence that more buttons and features (for example) result in faster search times in the real world.
latest report
@philwig,

modern is a caveat though
The OP is talking about buying second hand for £100
I agree about the bells and whistles though - simple is probably better for most of us
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy