Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Kenzie wrote:
Just seen on faceache - last orders in TC's Bar on 9th November. Crying or Very sad

Rob has had it up for sale for a few years, used to be a great locals haunt but it was really looking tired (website not updated since 2010........).

I'm not on Facebook, did it sell or has he just given it up?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict wrote:
Will make the best of the weather and conditions in Tignes - but we're thinking that whiteouts could well be the order of the day...

(Readers' tip: A bad day on the mountain is better than a good day in the office wink)

The forecast has really deteriorated. Likely to be over 1m and possibly 1.4m of snow over the next week. It's cold, with some good base already, so this dump could be really good for the season opener.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bar shaker, A fellow optimist! You read the weather thread and it seems early snow is not regarded well. Some is better than none. Remember being in Val in the 90s, in mid Dec. and it was green apart from the glacier.
I say just about any snow is good snow. EK opens 25/11. 3 weeks!
So they are expecting falls on and off for the next week or so. If it snows a reasonable amount down to VC I would be shocked if they don't try to get Double M going for some pre-opening weekend traffic. They might not do much, if anything, elsewhere
Or am I missing something?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The forecast looks quite snowy over the weekend with a low freezing level (Brev ish) so I would expect 30-60 cm of snow. Wind looks like an issue on Saturday and Monday. Next week looks unsettled but I think the apps are overplaying the amount of snow from Tuesday onwards as we end up with a pair of Genoa Lows which normally lead to 'retour d'est' styly weather meaning Le Fornet may get a lot of snow, Tignes much less. That said I could see Double M opening as soon as they can get it bashed next week as this is normally linked to an increase in ticket prices (and a lot of electronic marketing!!!!) they have been snow making on it to help the process along

There are signs of a more south easterly warmer drift from next weekend on the jetsream forecast so winter may not be here yet but this is a promising start, given that it is now November and the sun rarely shines on Double M. Had this been the scenario 2 weeks ago, I would have used more caution (remember last year?).

All in all enough to allow enough excitement to build. The snow tyres are now fitted in Yorkshire... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway, I don't see anything in the tarifs that suggest they can increase the prices if Double M is open, they have changed to a flat rate per day until 25th Nov.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chocksaway,
I agree. 30-60 cm seems more realistic. Odd centimetre after Tuesday. Assume snow-making at top end of Double M as no signs at the VC end. Vanoise I assume they will open pretty quickly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just arrived in Tignes this evening - beautiful sunny drive from GVA & the autumn colours are fantastic. Lovely short walk up above Villarette du Niall (near Val D) this afternoon.

Does anybody know if the skiing is still restricted to the 4hr slots, like last week?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountainaddict wrote:
Does anybody know if the skiing is still restricted to the 4hr slots, like last week?

The website said that today was the last day.

You could go for a walk tomorrow and find out for sure.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rjs, Good spot, that clause seems to have vanished from previous years.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict,

The Tignes website says the 4 hour limit has been removed in view of the anticipated storms - and the fact that they envisage nobody wanting to ski more than an hour or so... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks quite busy this morning and not a bad day. The forecasts are definitely varying in respect of amounts and the snowline, time will tell!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Just arrived in Tignes this evening - beautiful sunny drive from GVA & the autumn colours are fantastic. Lovely short walk up above Villarette du Niall (near Val D) this afternoon.

Aren’t the colours beautiful, driving up from BSM?!

Did you get up to the dam on your walk?

Hope you get some windows in the weather.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just had a quick look at the webcams. Looks to be about a 40 mtr long queue for the drag lift up on the 'Motte.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nelly0168,
If all goes according to plan, he's sold it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Notice they have started putting the tyres down near to the where the building work is still on-going in Le Lac. A sign that it is felt the storm may/will start to form a base. Only one set of tennis court nets left to be taken down. Would have expected to see tyres at the the top of Toviere as well.
snow conditions
Precipitation is on its way,, jolly windy tomorrow as well now. Thekey will be the snow level, looking a bit higher than the villages which is a shame.

Meanwhile just been shopping, this year I will mainly be wearing lime green Shocked Shocked
latest report
Late breaking news - it must be winter the Col De L'Iseran closed for the season 18 minutes ago!
ski holidays
Greetings from Tignes after a pretty decent day's skiing.

In fact better conditions than we expected - the Tignes website says hard snow, unsuitable for beginners but overall it was certainly more packed powder than hardpack. A few slick patches (eg on steeper pitches) where it's down to the glacial ice but they were mostly avoidable.

Not too busy either - no queues except for the lowest drag lift, where there is only one running instead of the usual.two. The second one doesn't even have T bars on the cable so doesn't look like it will be operational any time soon...

We had light snow all afternoon, which had already improved conditions by close of play. Even managed some fresh tracks (on about 1 cm of snow!) on our final run.

Some very bad visibility on the top half of the run from the top for the last hour or two of the day - ie total pea souper.

More snow forecast though - potentially lots of it, with the freezing level dropping to as low as 1000m. Just hoping that the wind's not too much of an issue over our next two days here...
ski holidays
Mark1863,

what's with the tyres? I'm not familiar with the concept.

are they winter tyres? Puzzled
snow report
@Bergmeister, There was a thread some where here about why they put tyres down. I’ll have a search for it.
snow report
@Bergmeister,
I have noticed over a number of seasons that before the first storm that they put tyres down in Le Lac on the tennis courts etc. Also at the top of Toviere. The tyres I believe are to indicate when snow cover is getting thin especially late in the season. Obviously with tennis courts etc you do not want the surface damaged. Not sure about Toviere but assume just a warning that cover is thin.
Think they are just normal tyres.
If you look on the webcam in the morning you will see a shed load have been put down in the area by the building work. Hopefully some more whiteness will be evident.
snow conditions
Toviere and Bellevarde have had some. Current snowline 2500m perhaps. Not much yet it seems. Just a fairy dusting near resort level.
snow report
The previous thread says it's to do with protecting the underlying surface from piste bashers.
snow conditions
@endoman,
Makes sense! So I was sort of right in that they are there to protect e.g the tennis courts. And thinking they are usually only on the tarmac at the top of the Toviere lift.

Looks like the fairy dust is as low as Tignes 1800.

Amount of snow seems fairly moderate as far as I can tell from the webcams.
ski holidays
Tignes ski report - Sun 5.11.17.

Woke at 06.00 to the sound of heavy rain in Val Claret. Went back to sleep...First light showed the snowline at Toviere-type levels (approx 2700m), following which it lowered steadily as we got ready to go out.

Left to go skiing at about 09.30, by which point Val Claret was looking increasingly white.

The glacier was a total whiteout - heavy snow and next to no visibility. Some good fun though - ankle to boot deep powder made for some pretty good turns in places. No queues and it felt totally deserted compared to yesterday - er, not that we could see anyone else!

The wind gradually picked up - to miserable proportions despite face masks and goggles. Swirling snow made it all pretty miserable - survival skiing at its worst...Riding the drag lifts was just awful.

Beaten back by about 11.30am, we went in to the restaurant to thaw out...and sneak a cuppa from our flasks.

Emerging at 12.00, we found the glacier shut - storm bound due to the wind. So that was that - some fun turns but as bad as gets in terms of extreme skiing conditions.

Spent the afternoon catching up on some jobs in our apartment followed by a lap round the lake on foot. Just nice to be out in the mountains. Around 10-15cm of snow at Le Lac on our walk.

Still snowing now...and still windy. Not holding our breath for tomorrow - more snow forecast & everything dependent on the wind...rolling eyes
ski holidays
A dusting as low as Brevieres.
@mountainaddict, not sure you will be able to enjoy what’s fallen today.
ski holidays
RichClark wrote:
I'm staying at the Chalet Hotel Ducs De Savoie again, its down the alley way next to the Sherpa. Does anyone remember the name of the hire shop right next door (on the left as you look down the alley to the Ducs)

Cheers

Rich

Just wanted to bump this question for those that may know.

Cheers
snow conditions
@RichClark, You may have more luck on the Val d'Isere thread. Steve Angus is a mine of information for all things Val'd.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Am I the only one surprised at the progress (or lack of) on the kindergarten/apartments project at the Rosset.

I know its still very early in the season, but the weather isnt going to improve a great deal for external building work.

It must be getting close to the time they need to remove the cranes/JCBs etc for the season (end of Nov, maybe?).
snow conditions
@mountainaddict,
Weather looks better. Dead jealous. What a difference a day makes.
Sat at home waiting for my new Ski pants to be delivered. Pretty crappy substitute for being in resort.
latest report
RichClark wrote:
RichClark wrote:
I'm staying at the Chalet Hotel Ducs De Savoie again, its down the alley way next to the Sherpa. Does anyone remember the name of the hire shop right next door (on the left as you look down the alley to the Ducs)

Cheers

Rich

Just wanted to bump this question for those that may know.

Cheers

Are you sure you have the hotel name right? Le Savoie is on the roundabout in Val but Le Ducs Des Savoie is in Brides Les Bains.

If Le Savoie, the shop down the alley is an Intersport.
latest report
nelly0168 wrote:
Am I the only one surprised at the progress (or lack of) on the kindergarten/apartments project at the Rosset.

Yes you are. Nothing happens quickly in this part of the world but there was no way they would finish that project in one summer.

Cranes have to be removed before the 27th Nov.
snow report
Looking at the forecast there is no warm period coming up. So I think they will try to really establish pistes above Le Lac / VC. A spring in my step.
Assume must be very windy up the Motte as nobody seems to be up there. Plus few people walking up DM to ski down it.
snow report
@bar shaker, @RichClark, Hotel Ducs De Savoie is indeed down a small side street in Val d'Isere. Looks like it's now run by Espirit. We stayed there many years ago when it was operated by a different T/O. From what I remember you can't really see it from the main road. As you approach the centre of Val' it's tucked away, as Rich Clark says, down a small alleyway. May be wrong but I don't think it's too far from Bar XV (the rugby place).

Of course none of this helps with the name of the hire shop rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
Just waiting for @mountainaddict, to come on and tell us that they've had the best days skiing ever....... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, hopefully so, than that would mean there's more than a thin dusting of snow Very Happy

Are they likely to turn on the snow cannons soon if the cold weather continues?
latest report

GeorgeVII wrote:
@bar shaker, @RichClark, Hotel Ducs De Savoie is indeed down a small side street in Val d'Isere. Looks like it's now run by Espirit. We stayed there many years ago when it was operated by a different T/O. From what I remember you can't really see it from the main road. As you approach the centre of Val' it's tucked away, as Rich Clark says, down a small alleyway. May be wrong but I don't think it's too far from Bar XV (the rugby place).

Of course none of this helps with the name of the hire shop rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Fair enough, I thought it was the hotel in this picture from the mention of the Sherpa.
ski holidays
According to forecast the highest freezing level before next weekend is about 2150m on Friday. If that is right I would be amazed if the cannon were not used a lot this week to give nature a helping hand. Bit more snow due weds.
snow report
@Daishan, "Tongue in cheek" really. I've no idea what, if anything was open on the Glacier today. They may have had a break in the weather to allow some skiing.

Running snow cannons is an expensive exercise and will probably only happen if they're reasonably confident that what they make won't get washed away.
ski holidays
@Daishan, "Tongue in cheek" really. I've no idea what, if anything was open on the Glacier today. They may have had a break in the weather to allow some skiing.

Running snow cannons is an expensive exercise and will probably only happen if they're reasonably confident that what they make won't get washed away.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy