Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@ElzP, The lift system is amazing, and the pistes down to Leogang are just intermediate cruiser heaven, in my opinion. The moguls you found on the blue runs earlier in the week, is common, particularly after fresh snow, such as you had, or later in the season when the snow is soft. I find the pistes in S-H perfectly groomed every morning, but with softer snow, on busier runs it is inevitable that moguls will occur, and easier blues can seem like blacks. They used to occasionally bash them flat during the day, but that never seems to happen now. I'm assuming there is a safety issue in sending piste bashers out onto crowded pistes. (I actually did once see a near miss years ago in S-H, the boy's scream was blood curdling. He was ultimately uninjured). This is not a situation unique to S-H, and there is no easy solution, except try to use quieter pistes later in the day, and download if you have to. The pistes will be perfect the following morning. Glad you enjoyed a fantastic area.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rowlski wrote:

@ElzP, sounds great, wide open piste cruising is up my street snowHead Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Reckon you'll like the 92/93 I mentioned in Leogang then - it was busy with people at the top of the Asitz lifts and we thought the run would be rammed, but clearly they were all there for chicken lunch as once we got on the piste it emptied, and though I'm very slow and steady there were good skiers swooping past and occasionally whooping with delight. Smile Wide, tree-lined, rolling and smooth, with some steeper bits to test people like me or make it interesting for anyone who can actually ski. wink Worth the lift mission over from S-H.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colinthc wrote:
@ElzP, The lift system is amazing, and the pistes down to Leogang are just intermediate cruiser heaven, in my opinion. The moguls you found on the blue runs earlier in the week, is common, particularly after fresh snow, such as you had, or later in the season when the snow is soft. I find the pistes in S-H perfectly groomed every morning, but with softer snow, on busier runs it is inevitable that moguls will occur, and easier blues can seem like blacks. They used to occasionally bash them flat during the day, but that never seems to happen now. I'm assuming there is a safety issue in sending piste bashers out onto crowded pistes. (I actually did once see a near miss years ago in S-H, the boy's scream was blood curdling. He was ultimately uninjured). This is not a situation unique to S-H, and there is no easy solution, except try to use quieter pistes later in the day, and download if you have to. The pistes will be perfect the following morning. Glad you enjoyed a fantastic area.

That makes sense - and after the fresh snow they were gorgeous for the rest of the week. We did as you said - just avoided the more obvious ski school pistes in the end. Still, it as probably good in a way as I got over my mad fear of bumps, and learned to ski them without killing myself or anyone else - that's got to be a result, as last year on slushy bumps in La Plagne I sat down every time I went near one. Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am based in Ski Amade but am hoping to make a few day trips to S-H over the next few weeks so was wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions regarding easy-to-find lift stations with free parking?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Schönleitenbahn gondola at Vorderglemm before Saalbach village is the nearest starting point to your base. And if you want to try the far end of the Glemmtal you could drive on to the parking at the Zwölferkogel gondola (after the tunnel on the main road). I'm not sure whether the underground parking in the centre of Saalbach is free.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@espri, thanks for the advice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bobbev999, there is covered parking at both main lifts in Saalbach, and at the Reiterkogelbahn in Hinterglemm. Parking at Zwölferkogel is more limited, and above ground. Schönleitenbahn provides the easiest access, but fills up first as a result.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ousekjarr, useful to know, thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Conditions have been very spring like since we got here on Saturday. Soft snow that moguls up easily on the busier runs, which oddly enough means that a lot of the blacks are easier than the blues. Black 1 off the Schattberg was lovely this morning while on the other side of the road and a few hours later Blue 52 felt like hard work. I'm hoping the weather will cool down in the next few days. I'm also hoping that my wife will recover enough from her chest infection that she'll be able to ski before the end of our fortnight here. Took her to the Doctor yesterday and he gave her a letter to go get a refund on her lift pass! She's gutted. Meanwhile I've had a couple of decent days skiing but I seem to be developing a very similar cough to what she had a week ago. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
son and dil enjoying to the full their trip to saalbach arrived sunday and were skiing by 1pm full day monday and according to their skiline report have today tried to follow the full circus trip but missed magic 6 on the way from leogang to saalbach so only manged 31 lifts 11700 mt uplift and 63km travelled in a total of 7hr 46mins including a stop for lunch and a drink or 2 en route this means that when we get out there in 27 days 13hours and 27mins,not that im counting, have a target, however yesterday they managed route 68 which in several trips to saalbach thus last few years have never managed due to conditions oh and they have been entertained in hinterhag, bauers, burgis, eva alm, and various other hosteleries on the apres before retiring to their hotel and not venturing out after dinner, The youth of today just dont have the staying power like us oldies!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski for fun wrote:
son and dil enjoying to the full their trip to saalbach arrived sunday and were skiing by 1pm full day monday and according to their skiline report have today tried to follow the full circus trip but missed magic 6 on the way from leogang to saalbach so only manged 31 lifts 11700 mt uplift and 63km travelled in a total of 7hr 46mins including a stop for lunch and a drink or 2 en route this means that when we get out there in 27 days 13hours and 27mins,not that im counting, have a target, however yesterday they managed route 68 which in several trips to saalbach thus last few years have never managed due to conditions oh and they have been entertained in hinterhag, bauers, burgis, eva alm, and various other hosteleries on the apres before retiring to their hotel and not venturing out after dinner, The youth of today just dont have the staying power like us oldies!!!

What is this "retiring to their hotel and not venturing out after dinner" you speak of? When we set off in the morning, in the words of Mickey Flanagan.) We're out, out. 😀 And at 48 I'm far from being the oldest in our group.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Valkyrie wrote:
Conditions have been very spring like since we got here on Saturday. Soft snow that moguls up easily on the busier runs, which oddly enough means that a lot of the blacks are easier than the blues. Black 1 off the Schattberg was lovely this morning while on the other side of the road and a few hours later Blue 52 felt like hard work. I'm hoping the weather will cool down in the next few days. I'm also hoping that my wife will recover enough from her chest infection that she'll be able to ski before the end of our fortnight here. Took her to the Doctor yesterday and he gave her a letter to go get a refund on her lift pass! She's gutted. Meanwhile I've had a couple of decent days skiing but I seem to be developing a very similar cough to what she had a week ago. Crying or Very sad

We had similar conditions last year (first week of February) The slushy/icing sugar moguls were very hard work coming down to the hinterhag and down to the nursery slope. It was loads better just to stay higher up. We're not going till March 10 this time so kind of expecting same or worse.
Hope your wife manages to have a go before you have to head home!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
More snow in the forecast it seems with some lower temperatures so hopefully things will freshen up again
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today was exceptionally nice - inexplicably quiet so no chopped up, mogully pistes. Beautiful weather too. For me the nicest skiing since December, although I’ve been slightly out of action for a couple of weeks owing to the inevitable bout of the lurgi.

Cuckoo (Irish band) in Bobby’s tonight - anyone currently in Saalbach.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any hope for a link to Zell anytime soon?
ski holidays
Valkyrie wrote:
... Black 1 off the Schattberg was lovely this morning...

We are heading to Saalbach at half term and our accomodation is at the bottom of Black 1 - does anyone know what condition this slope is usually like at the end of the day?? Does it tend to be icy or chopped up and bumpy etc??

When I booked the appartment, the pistemap on the site appeared to show a long wiggly blue that meandered a long way round to the bottom of Schattberg - this doesn’t seem to be on the newer Saalbach piste maps.

We should be able to cope with a black run, but at the end of the day when you are tired and if the piste is icy etc...

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks all
snow report
@Homey, When I've been there that run has stayed in good nick all day.

It's quite an easy black run, as black runs go
snow conditions
Cuckoo! Great night then, I saw them in Soll a couple of years ago.

I have a vision impressed in my memory ... Of the piste down near the bottom in Leogang, twas 1991 I think.

Everybody (me included) was slithering around like Bambi on the glazzed bumpy ice field.

When coming down the slope like an express train on straight rails was a very senior chap in instructors uniform with his long single locks flowing in the breeze. Amazing!

I didn't know who he was ...
but serendipity struck a few years later, when I went into a very posh hotel in Leogang. I recognised him ... he was the boss ... it was his hotel and very proud of its 4 official stars. It really deserved 5 though.
I don't know what it was called and I've forgotten his name.
Someone must know who he is or was?
ski holidays
@Whitty, have via the power of the internet suggested to them (son and dil) that they are not living up to the standards expected of saalbach regulars, however they tell me that they did venture out again last night and eventually got back t hotel just before midnight and then today according to skiline have skied 62 km and 10790 vertical without venturing to fieberbrun and only did 1lift twice( the ski area in saalbach is truly amazing), however as they stopped in the bergeralm for happy hour the bit after time from there to hinterhag is not recorded from which I presume they were on route to before bauers or burgis
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
@Homey, When I've been there that run has stayed in good nick all day.

It's quite an easy black run, as black runs go

Thanks. Much appreciated 😀
ski holidays
@Homey, Hmm, I would say that it can be an easy black run, but, in my experience the bottom section can get icy, mogully or both. It's wide and not terrifyingly steep, but I have seen occasions when your only option is power side-slipping down hard ice till you find something softer, and I've seen presumably decent skiers, (or they wouldn't have managed to be there in the first place), suddenly find themselves clearly out their depth. I have also found it to be a perfectly enjoyable black. It is a good run. Whether due to the artificial snow or not, I have found it to be more regularly enjoyably skiable in recent years. I think you just have to see what it's like while there, I suspect it will be fine. Worst case scenario, ski the top half, and download. The top half is the better half.
I once skied the wiggly blue you mentioned, just to see what it was like. It is a mountain track, and frequently the gradient is not actually in your favour. There was a lot, (A LOT), of poling involved. And swearing. It will still be there, but no longer marked. DO NOT LOOK FOR IT. I'm almost angry being reminded of it. No wonder it was de-pisted. Have a great time.
latest report
@Homey, as the others have said really. Although some days you might not be too bothered about doing it as your last run of the day... All the decent apres is on the other side of town.
snow report
ski for fun wrote:
@Whitty, have via the power of the internet suggested to them (son and dil) that they are not living up to the standards expected of saalbach regulars, however they tell me that they did venture out again last night and eventually got back t hotel just before midnight and then today according to skiline have skied 62 km and 10790 vertical without venturing to fieberbrun and only did 1lift twice( the ski area in saalbach is truly amazing), however as they stopped in the bergeralm for happy hour the bit after time from there to hinterhag is not recorded from which I presume they were on route to before bauers or burgis

👍 They just needed educating a little 😀
snow conditions
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:
Any hope for a link to Zell anytime soon?

My instructor, local inhabitant, was highly dubious. His basis was that SH would screw Zell because it doesn't really need it and Zell doesn't need it enough to make the price worth paying.
latest report
@Penry, I would hesitate to agree with the second of those assertions, although I don't of course know what price is being mooted. A direct link into the Ski Circus would greatly enhance Zell's appeal and status as a skiing destination, and, as I understand the position, it has been prevented from expanding in the other (Piesendorf) direction. There have been media reports about the proposed new link, and the road through Viehhofen has been diverted to provide space for a car park and (?) new lift station. Word on the street is that the construction of the new lift might be deferred for a year whilst they build a new reservoir and instal snow cannons on piste 68.
latest report
Despite the forecasts, conditions great today. Even 58 and the home run down to Bauer's were free of moguls.

Last night tonight so will do a tour of Burgi's, Spitzbub, Eva, Del Rossi (yeah, I know, eatin's cheating), then a night cap in the Post Bar.

Full review to follow.
snow report
@Rowlski, Sorry for the delayed response to your above post regarding late season conditions. I've had a dose of man flu and bronchitis, and it's been keeping me quieter than usual.

Conditions so far this season are the best that we have ever experienced, and this has been our 12th consecutive Christmas in Saalbach. I know that Easter is a long way ahead, but the promising start to the season may bode well, at least for snow levels later in the season.

Regarding late season conditions, the resort closes this year on 8th April (slightly earlier than normal, which could have something to do with some of the extensive work that is planned for next summer, including the complete replacement of the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn gondola). Before I retired we always used to have four weeks of skiing in Saalbach: two weeks over Christmas/New Year, and two weeks during the second half of March. It's impossible of course to predict what the weather will be like - could be cold and wintry with fresh dumps of snow, or could be mild and spring-like with blue skies and sunny skiing (even sometimes in a tee-shirt).

What I can say for certain about late March - early April is that, by that time of the season, the sun will have climbed higher in the sky and acquired some warmth. When the weather is fine, the norm is for the pistes to freeze hard overnight, for the skiing to be excellent in the morning, and in the afternoons for the snow to be still skiable and enjoyable on south-facing slopes but obviously a lot better on slopes that face north and west. Unlike the early part of the season, it therefore becomes worthwhile to plan itineraries that allow the south-facing slopes to be concentrated on in the mornings and other slopes to be targeted in the afternoons. As the season nears its end in late March/early April, one of our local Austrian friends always advises, "get an early start, ski for three or four hours, have a long, leisurely lunch at a sunny mountain restaurant, and do one run (home) in the afternoon". We normally ignore that advice and ski all day - but with plenty of breaks for drinks and sun-bathing on mountain terraces. The best sking is generally to be found over at Leogang and Fieberbrunn, and on the more shady slopes of Schattberg and Zwoelferkogel.

If you intend to drive down, or hire a car, the Kitzsteinhorn glacier, which is only half an hour away, offers superb, extensive skiing, and you can get a lift pass that covers both the Ski Circus and the glacier. We went over there in early April last season and thoroughly enjoyed it. Having said that, our final guests of last ski season skied in Saalbach from 8th - 15th April - two men and their 10 year old sons - all competent and fast skiers - and they seemed to be having such a good time in Saalbach that they didn't bother to go up to the glacier. I suppose that speaks for itself!

Normally we stay in Saalbach until the end of the season (last year 15th April), and we haven't yet known a year in which we couldn't ski back to the door of our apartments, even as late as early April. There are certainly compensations for any loss of quality in the snow (although it does go through a "perfect" stage in the middle of the morning) - the springlike days with blue sky and warm sun, the relaxed, chilled atmosphere after the business of the peak season, and the long days.

Regarding the question of whether they will close any of the slopes during the last week of the season, this is the reply I've received from the lift company:

"Dear Mr. Tatman,

thank you for your kind E-Mail and your interest in the skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn.
It is just planned to close the Kohlmais at the 2nd of April at the moment.
The others can be closed shortly if the snow conditions is not good enough anymore
or there are too less people who use the lift.
But we hope that we can use all the other lifts in Saalbach Hinterglemm until the end as well.
If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate and contact us again.
Kind regards"

As it's Easter I assume that they will try to keep as much running as possible. A few years ago I recall that one of the best weeks of the season for snow conditions was the first week of April - sunny with cold temperatures and overnight snowfalls.
latest report
son and dil(mid30s) returned from their 4and1/2 day trip to saalbach and have had a ball, came home yesterday full of their plans to go back next year en famille so are now going to be looking at the options. They report the hotel 85euro pn pp h/b to be good ,skiing to be brilliant, pistes excellent the nightlife great and the enviroment wonderful along with the craic ,so I feel well justified in ensuring they went. only the last afternoon thursday was not sunny and a bit restricting visibility but according to their skiline report in the short time there they skied almost40,000 vertical mts travelled on 106 lifts and travelled 224 piste kms which included 2 days over 60 km , fieberbrun ,leogang route 68 and all the lift system in saalbach is truly amazing and they took advantage. They enjoyed all the apres and like me found the crowd from many countries to be friendly and diverse, full on in hinterhag and bauers, fun in little burgis more refined in eva alm .Didnt stay long in in one place due to the profanity of the dj , (takes all sorts,) though it must have been bad for son to leave as he is not noted for refinement. All the mountain huts and restaurants were good and the prices in most being affordable/value and nowhere did they feel ripped off . so all in all another well satisfied and returning visitor. They have now set mrs sfn and myself a mileage challenge in march but im nowadays more in to longer lunches in the sun and later starts and an early happy hour but hoping to get to round the ski circus challenge and not miss a lift out as they did one day only 25 to wait now.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was talking to an old work colleague yesterday. Her son is in Austria for his second season instructing. By the end of the season he’s hoping to have achieved his Landes 2 qualification. Interestingly he’s based in Viehofen.

Apparently the ski school there are forward planning. Gradually increasing instructor numbers year on year with the expectation of being fully linked with both Zell and the Ski Circus after which they expect to be extremely busy. Read into that what you will.
latest report
We're now at the mid-point of a fortnight self-catering holiday in Saalbach. Unfortunately my wife has flu and apart from managing three runs last Sunday she's been cooped up in the apartment. I'm hoping that she's getting better but I can't see her skiing at all next week. We've got a hire car so now I'm looking for suggestions for places to visit. Any ideas for nice drives, or towns we can visit with very little walking? We've got a couple of days already planned in Salzburg so any other places to visit would be good.
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, My heartfelt sympathy! My wife and I have also been suffering but now at tail end and able to ski and apres-ski. Re excursions, only Zell am See springs to mind.
snow conditions
Currently sat on a bus to Munich following our Salzburg to Heathrow flight being cancelled (inbound flight diverted due to weather). Hey ho.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, I do still really like the area. Vaguely thinking about buying an apartment here, is there an estate agent you'd recommend?
latest report
@Valkyrie, @tatmanstours, is an estate agent Toofy Grin

You could go to Bad Gastein or Bramberg
latest report
Well, we finally made it back after our fourth visit to Saalbach. As ever we had a great time so here's my review.

Skiing: We were lucky with the weather enjoying two or three sunny days and the rest being a little overcast or snowy. No white outs thankfully and the pistes were in pretty good shape all day. Not being particularly great skiers, we do enjoy conditions more at the start of the season than the end (the sacrifice being sunny and warm March days). Interesting to note that we didn’t see anyone needing medical assistance during the course of the week.

Whilst we've made it to the Chicken Man above Leogang many times, we've always run out of steam to make it to the bottom of Leogang. So this year the lazier two in our group of three bussed it to Vorderglemm and uploaded from there to get a head start. We then skied across and down to Leogang. I can really recommend this as a strategy as the runs 88 to 90 are great for nervous or weaker intermediates (as are 92 and 93).

In fact, we do quite a bit of bussing, uploading, downloading and really recommend this as a strategy for weaker skiers to get the best out of the resort.

One benefit of skiing in January is that you have the chance of skiing run 68. We skied the top bit on a return from Leogang one day and all the way down another. Despite the lack of a lift at the bottom run 68 has definitely gone into my top 3 of Saalbach runs (if not the top). If you do ski 68, then do it at lunch time so that you can enjoy probably the best Gulash Soup in the world (at the Hecherhutte) and also time your departure to get the bus. There's a very funny Welsh guy that waits there and amused us with the confession that they don't do any decent sausages at the restaurant! It will be a real shame if 68 becomes the ‘motorway’ to Zell. At the lowest part of the villages, it will be nasty (if even skiable) at the end of the day / season.

Lifts: We were rather disgusted that we had to wait for a couple of minutes to get on Bernkogel 6er but that was the only queuing we did all week. I believe this winter will be the swan song for the Kohlmais 3er (that we use often) and the adjacent coke cans. These are being replaced by a bubble IIRC which will be a bit of a faff (ski down from the Turm then skis off) but does give better download and mid station options than a chair I suppose. Overall, it's hard to fault the quality of the lift system.

Equipment hire: Marcel at Hagleitner's looked after us as usual (schnapps and beer enjoyed whilst skis being sorted out). Hansi's may be cheaper but we prefer to give Marcel our repeat business as that's where we bought and had our boots fitted. I’m told that there aren’t any bad rental places in Saalbach.

Talking of equipment, I managed to leave my very nice Hestra leather gloves on the Asitzbahn lift. Amazingly some kind sould had removed them and left then on a shelf next to the exit and they were still there an hour later when I realized what I’d done.

Lunches: Lunch is a big part of skiing in Saalbach for us. Highlights as follows:

Hecherhutte: Gulasch soup
Berger Alm: Grostaal (cosy on a cold day)
Hendl Fischerei (Chicken Man): Chicken / Ribs (oddly with a garlic pretzl not a bread roll). Book a table or arrive early as it gets rammed.
Wallegalm: Chilli con carne (DJ playing so good vibe too)
Robwaldhutte: Gulasch soup (not as good as the Hecherhutte but still good)

We thought the Alte Schmeide was a little off form this year. Normally the service is ultra-efficient (orders taken as soon as you sit down and food delivered in the time taken to have a wee) but this year it was really slow. The Spag Bol was huge when it arrived.

Overall, the lunchtime meals were of great quality and value. It always amazes me that you can get a Gulasch Soup in the stunning and uber cool Hendl Fischerei for €7 or the legendary chicken for €11.

Instruction: We wanted to have a couple of hours with a good instructor to go back to basics a bit. Tatman recommended Steve Rothwell from Zink Ski School. Despite a cockup with the booking (on my part) Steve was very gracious and we had a great lesson. I can thoroughly recommend him and his number is 0044 7957 333936 / 0043 676 5121 878. Book a few weeks before you go in busy periods.

Accommodation: We stayed at the Post again. As usual it was immaculate and they've made some subtle changes to the rooms and changed to a B&B basis (evening meals on request). Staff were great as ever with Claudia the owner being in particularly good form and enjoying her new bar.

Evening meals: As noted above we fended for ourselves in the evenings. We followed some of Tatman’s recommendations as follows:

Schattberg Stubn: Grostasl
Del Rossi: Steaks, burgers, wiener schnitzels
La Trattoria: Pizza
Eva Alm: Mixed platter / chicken wings and chips
Il Desco: Pasta and Pizza

We walked up to the Kohlmais Stubn but it seemed to be shut as did the Mexican that Tatman recommended. We found the evening meals to be good value (€10-15) for a main course and really enjoyed eating out.

Apres ski: We didn't make it to the Hinterhag Alm or Goastaal this year but really enjoyed the live band (Frontal) at Bauers one night and obviously spent lots of time at Spitzbub, Burgi's (for a change), the Eva Alm and of course Bauers. Last year’s fab Spitzbub barmaids (Ditta and Maria) weren’t working but we were pleased to see them there on holiday and did a shift one night! Spacey was doing his thing too. We're not great at apres apres ski (post 9am) but did manage and enjoy a few beers at the Post Hotel's new Post Bar (on the high street). A nice vibe in there, particularly when the live DJ was on.

Overall another great week and I still cannot think of anywhere that suits us better. Roll on 2019!
ski holidays
Valkyrie wrote:
We're now at the mid-point of a fortnight self-catering holiday in Saalbach. Unfortunately my wife has flu and apart from managing three runs last Sunday she's been cooped up in the apartment. I'm hoping that she's getting better but I can't see her skiing at all next week. We've got a hire car so now I'm looking for suggestions for places to visit. Any ideas for nice drives, or towns we can visit with very little walking? We've got a couple of days already planned in Salzburg so any other places to visit would be good.

Tauern Spa at Kaprun is very nice, if she's up to a bit of floating around in warm water. The spa area has a bathing suit section, unlike most Austrian and German spas, so no need to go into the sauna in the buff. Rupertus Therme in Bad Reichenhall is also a nice spa, but a bit further to travel.
snow report
Some ideas here...

https://www.saalbach.com/de/winter/aktivitaeten
latest report
Some really helpful info on here, so much so I plan to book for next year, arriving 19th Jan....this might be a typical ‘how long is a piece of string?’ question but I will ask it anyway!! What are the lift queues like around that time of year? Not too bad judging by some of the skiing distances quoted but all info and past experience gratefully digested
snow report
toyah807 wrote:
Some really helpful info on here, so much so I plan to book for next year, arriving 19th Jan....this might be a typical ‘how long is a piece of string?’ question but I will ask it anyway!! What are the lift queues like around that time of year? Not too bad judging by some of the skiing distances quoted but all info and past experience gratefully digested

We were there 20th to 27th in Jan this year, and we never queued more than two minutes for even the busiest of lifts (it sometimes looked like there was a queue, but everyone quickly scrummed onto the lifts and the lift staff helped fill spaces in gondolas with no messing around). In fact the longest queue we had was for a button on the beginner slopes when we couldn't be bothered to walk a couple of hundred metres from a bar to the nearest gondola...

The busiest lifts seemed to be the Zwolferkogelbahn in the afternoon, Bernkogelbahn and Kolmaisgipfelbahn in general.

Edited to add that we didn't seem to hit many queues on the chair lifts either - perhaps we got lucky!
ski holidays
@toyah807, Lift queues in Saalbach are normally negligible, even in peak season (although I do try to avoid heading up the mountain at the same time as all the ski schools).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy