Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powdair looks like it's happening - UPDATE!!! looks like it isn't....

Poster: A snowHead
@Bergmeister, I guess it refers to the fuel rather than the alcohol, but basically leasing a crewed, maintained aircraft rather than just leasing the plane and having to source pilots and mechanics etc separately.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The more Gucci term for wet lease is ACMI. aircraft, crew maintenance and insurance. The lessee normally pays for the fuel and airport costs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Powdair looks interesting but so many of the flights are not on a Saturday and indeed none from the airports convenient to me south of London are on this day. If I book early I can get a car and 4 flights to Geneva at sensible times for about £250 all in less than powdair before the transfer cost. So I will do the 2 hour each way trip for that ! Makes much more sense if buying 1 or 2 tickets or you need a very large car which attracts silly premiums. Any way I wish them success as if they survive then I'm sure the options will get better. This season I had booked before their price list was released but I think my decision would have been the same nonetheless for now.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I hope once Powdair are established they can offer better options from Manchester. Flights currently are Thursday and Saturday only, so no chance of long weekend trips.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

so many of the flights are not on a Saturday

One of the major attractions of Powdair is that they make the long weekends do-able. I shall still have friends who will use Geneva, they like the train ride etc, but for my son to come out for weekends its looking good.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got this email from Powdair, we have flights booked in January Sad

An important powdair update...

Since the powdair journey commenced two years ago, we've done our very best to be open and honest about the prospects and opportunities of our fledgling airline. After all, new airlines don't launch every day and we've faced many expected and unexpected challenges along the way.

What's the point of powdair? Opening up the incredible Swiss Valais region to skiers, snowboarders and year-round mountain lovers across Europe is our mission. Significantly reduced journey times direct to Sion rather than Geneva, improved transfer connections to resort, more time on holiday and for second home owners, better access to your investment, is the end result. But that's not where this journey ends.

This morning our key financial backer walked away from the powdair journey for personal reasons.

We're faced now with two options. We either postpone starting powdair this winter – in which case, those of you who've already booked flights would be guaranteed a full refund.

Or,

We offer the airline to you, our army of passionate powdair supporters, in the hope that you'd like to own a stake in powdair and benefit in our future shared success.

In a nutshell...

Over 5,000 people have already booked flights with us for this season
More than 85 of you have signed up as Season Pass holders, already buying between 10 and a whopping 80 tickets each to fly with us this season!
We’ve already been awarded Best Start-up Business in the World Snow Awards
We’re officially partnered with 17 resorts in the Valais and Portes du Soleil, including Verbier, Crans Montana, Nendaz, Anzere, Thyon 4 Vallées, Morzine, Champéry, Avoriaz, Châtel and Les Gets – and already have a raft of events and marketing activity planned with them
We’re working with hundreds of Valais, British and Belgian businesses – big and small - to ensure that both they and our powdair passengers benefit from everything we do

Without funding, we're now facing the situation of needing to postpone the start of our flight schedule for this winter season*, which is currently set to commence on 11th December 2017. However, with your support we can still make powdair a success and take off as planned this winter. At this late stage, community ownership is realistically the only way we'll be able to make powdair operational this winter.

If you would like to invest in us, please email investors@powdair.ski immediately for further information.**

A word from Sean Pettit, our Chief Financial Officer:

"Just as the powdair operation begins to snowball, today's setback is both unexpected and potentially disastrous for our airline, booked passengers and resort partners. Operational systems and strategies are already in place, whilst ticket sales are very strong and exceeding expectations. powdair is ready to go, but we now desperately need investment. I'd personally like to hear from anyone interested in owning either a small or large part of our airline."

Please bear in mind that we're a very small team working with limited resources and we need to secure at least £3 million to operate this season and at least £1 million by the end of this week in order to operate a reduced but efficient flight schedule this season.

The powdair Team
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oops - basically a plea for a sugar daddy whose trips to Verbier have suddenly been scuppered. Financial backer obviously didn't like bookings to date.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shame really, but not untypical. Our local airline (Skywork, who flew London City to Bern) had severe difficulties last month which actually led to the withdrawal of its operating licence. Things are now running again, but it just shows how difficult this business is at the moment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Their current timetable shows 112 legs per week for a season of around 17 weeks - that is 1900 or so flights. Assuming the 5000 that have booked have chosen a return that is 10000 seats booked. Assuming my maths is right (and not many people have booked more than one return) that is not many bums on seats per flight (or if you prefer load factor).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chocksaway, grief......

I got the email too

They worked unbelievably hard, and if that much hard work doesn't result in something viable....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's a shame. Hope they are able to get something in place for this season so that more skiers get to know about them and see Sion as an alternative to Geneva.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I must admit I thought on the face of it was a slightly shaky business plan.

Is the inbound traffic likely into Sion heavy enough to make it workable? At ~ 2+ x Geneva prices?

Given the general interconnectedness of Swiss transport and ski resorts, that extra ? 2h00 from Geneva is pretty painless, especially if there’s a bar onboard wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sad news 😢

Although a mate who was a driver for an upmarket chalet where the guests came by private jet said Sion Flights often diverted due to weather so not a reliable place to fly too....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know if refunds are guarenteed? I have 3 flights with them booked and paid for, consequently I am a bit worried. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Funny, their website doesn't mention anything (obvious) about this turn of events and flights still seems to be bookable???
ski holidays
Removed double post
latest report
Seahoob wrote:
Does anyone know if refunds are guarenteed? I have 3 flights with them booked and paid for, consequently I am a bit worried. Crying or Very sad

Well they've said they will refund, but if they don't you'll be covered if you paid by credit card.
snow report
http://www.planetski.eu/news/9779
latest report
Still cool that this guy has time to be CFO of an almost startup airline as well as throwing down

SEAN PETTIT | Ski Part 2017 from Midnight Moon Media
https://vimeo.com/234948966
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, hmmm....

Sean Pettit:
http://www.ski-press.com/6222/transport/powdair-sean-pettit-chief-financial-officer

And Sean Pettit:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Pettit

See?
ski holidays
Pretty bad that there's nothing on their website about this to be honest. Appreciate that they need to remain optimistic, but to continue to offer flights in the current circumstances seems a little cavalier.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Still cool that this guy has time to be CFO of an almost startup airline as well as throwing down

That did make me chuckle too
latest report
@telford_mike, ...website is there but you can't book anything as far as I can see....
latest report
When I looked at their website last night you could search and get a flight price to Sion for a date in 2018. Didnt go any further than second screen.

Has it changed today?
latest report
I just got a price for London City to Sion no problem at all.
snow report
Every combo I have just tried comes up with Itinerary not possible. They have a twitter link to the text of the e mail @Seahoob, received. Rumours on the aviation forums seem to suggest a lot of interest in the crowdfunding.
snow conditions
Maybe Admin will make a strategic investment Very Happy
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, hmmm....

See?

Really? Shocked wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, oops sorry it was a nice chuckly 'see' not a horrible 'told you so' 'see' - tone of voice is so difficult on t'web. It was just meant like the two photos they always put in Private Eye but with the names transposed...
snow conditions
First weeks flights cancelled, decision on 1 Dec re the rest of the season.
ski holidays
I was thinking about booking flights on this airline - and googling around found this forum a few weeks ago... was all looking good, then I read this in today's Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/budget-airline-for-skiers-powdair-seeks-funding-after-backer-pulls-out-7wwhcccqd
ski holidays
Shame, had a nice chat with the guys from Powdair at the Ski show - and their freebie stickers were nice vinyl cut jobbies which look like they'll be sticking around longer than the company...
snow conditions
From their twitter feed they are offering pledges where you invest so much and receive discounts or free flights for the next 5 years. Completely unsecured. But they are aiming at accom providers (ie you pledge and sell packages to your guests) and city hedge funds. High stakes indeed.
snow report
The fat lady has sung. It's over for this season according to their FB Page and website. But they are saying they will be back with their own aircraft for next season.
snow report
I wonder what the background of this Scoot Ferries thing was

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/scoot-ferries-couple-launch-Powdair-airline-and-ask-for-3-million-after-backer-walks-away-317300.aspx
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
The fat lady has sung. It's over for this season according to their FB Page and website. But they are saying they will be back with their own aircraft for next season.

And it’s back in the Times today on page 4 … I’m so glad I didn’t book with those chancers
ski holidays
Has anyone heard anything about Powdair for this season?
Not much showing from a quick web search.
latest report
There was a few rumours about in the aviation world a fortnight ago, if they are going to make a go of it then it will have to be soon for this season.
ski holidays
They were too late in their launch last year and it went up the swanny, so I don't see much hope for this year. It was an unviable business model - there just aren't enough people wanting to fly to Sion.
snow conditions
According to Planetski they're trying again this year but as part of Valais Prive.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy