Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead
@Hells Bells, yes..i like agrum...its has a nice tang. Well done
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hells Bells,
Congratulations and very well done.

I am currently trying to shift lard and get fit as weight and lack of fitness have increased alarmingly with a slightly dodgy knee.

PS Am I the only one who finds that for general exercise a heart rate monitor is a bit of fiddly nonsense that gets in the way and I cannot see the point of?
(I am not talking about enthusiasts who are training for better times and performance)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@T Bar,
Quote:

weight and lack of fitness have increased alarmingly with a slightly dodgy knee.

+1

Well done, Hells Bells!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, @T Bar, @Hurtle, thank you. It would be so easy to slip back into the bad habits though. Strawberries without cream? BBQs without a bowl of crisps? I'm working on the solutions, as I really would like to lose some more.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, it's really quite simple, as me and the OH were commenting whilst watching Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Fat Fight last night.

If you want to be serious about loosing weight I challenge you to do this.

Just bananas (when you need a snack) rice (whole grain brown rice better) and chicken, or fish for seven days - water or low cal drinks, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, salad etc along with two hours exercise a day (speed walking with dogs hour morning hour evening) and you'll loose more than 300gms to shout about!

Once you see what can be done in an extreme week it will give you momentum for going forward.

Sorry but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hells Bells, I have a different take on it to @Weathercam, as a fellow fighter of the excess poundage, but lover of all things edible, I found that the only way to stick to something was to make it tasty and interesting. Have a healthy breakfast and then make sure you prepare all lunches, then a healthy evening meal. First pang of hunger stress - Drink water.

If the food is boring you will fail to keep it going. This week e.g. the staple diet has been a healthy low fat turkey mince chilli that is massively bulked up with frozen spinach, chopped kale, broccoli, sweetcorn, peas, onion and garnished with handfuls of freshly chopped peppers and brown rice.

After our ski holiday my joint pain was quite bad and i felt drained, had achieved my goal, had a great holiday and within 6 weeks had put on 3kg. Back on it now though, and with exercise most days it is coming off again. The hiccup is just that.

Fabulous effort - It is not easy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, I usually have strawberries without cream, they taste better

@Weathercam, "and you'll loose more than 300gms to shout about!" Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, sorry got that wrong - mind you either way gaining or loosing it's too minimal anyway!

Hells Bells wrote:
Gained precisely 300g in 3 weeks of skiing. Felt much better, and could ski for longer each day, even though I know I could still be a lot fitter. I'll work on that one a lot more over the summer. The scales are heading downwards again, despite the birthday parties, and wine.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think different people have found so many different ways of losing weight that it is hard to say one way works and another doesn't.
Though it's very difficult to see that anything will work that doesn't involve expending more energy or reducing intake in some combination.
I find brown rice tastes worse than cardboard and don't think anything involving it would work for me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only way you will keep the weight off is if you make training and a good diet part of your life, rather than just something you decide to do when you feel unfit/ overweight. It may be hard at first, but you soon learn to enjoy both parts. Cravings for bad food are also massively reduced once you get into the routine of eating healthily. That's not to say you can't enjoy some cream with your strawberries, but it should be the exception rather than the norm.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, so in effect I maintained my weight loss of 7kg which is what I was implying in the first place. You weren't the one I considered to be rude and patronising. On the contrary, you were quite encouraging. But I could alter that view. Working 9 hour days does not leave time for 2 hours exercise a day. Not all of us are able to stay in the Alps for months at a time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, how's the BP? I too have pretty extreme white coat effects...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:

You and i usually agree on most stuff....but FFS woman, what jibberish you are talking here wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Frosty the Snowman, precisely, and thanks for your support. Some comments on here made me think I'd failed in my goal for some strange reason.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, 7 kilos is a LOT for a Pixie Toofy Grin

I can guarantee that if I were retired, I would be fit as a lop; stress free and all the time in the world to do fun, outdoors stuff. I bet it would be the same for you.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

You and i usually agree on most stuff....but FFS woman, what jibberish you are talking here wink

I find the cream "sticky" and stops the taste of the strawberries getting through
ski holidays
JackSkier wrote:
It may be hard at first, but you soon learn to enjoy both parts..
I can honestly say that I have NEVER learned to enjoy either part even after a sustained period of good heathy eating and exercise - 6 months+
latest report
@Hells Bells, I was doing all that and more before I moved to the Alps, and believe me at my peak of fitness I was working way harder than 9 hour days in the newspaper industry along with commuting four hours a day from the South Coast to London!

7kg is good going though - thing is if you can do as @JackSkier, says, for sure the first 30 days is hard but thereafter it just becomes a habit / daily life routine.

Think this thread started back in December, now if someone was serious but still only last 500gm half a pound a week how much would you have lost by now?

Anyway I've just beasted myself on the bike up and down from the Lautaret - so cheese on toast it is, at 14:00 first food of the day!
snow report
500gm is a pound(ish) last time I looked.

I'm going in the right direction albeit very VERY slowly. I don't get enough time to ride, I despise running (but did 2 and a bit miles this morning) and like wine and good food. Mid week my diet is spot on, protein, fresh fruit, vedge and salad with lean meat. Then the beer monster arrives every weekend to beat me up.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I've lost 7kg, so I've lost around an average of 1 kg a month. I would like to lose 7kg more over the summer. I wasn't looking for a quick fix, I've already been following a low fat healthy eating plan, without being a slave to an unsustainable diet. So I'm sorry, but I won't be accepting your challenge, I don't need that kind of boring diet in my life.
ski holidays
@Hells BellsHurtle

I think you provided the answer yourself right at the start. You said you would ski 52 weeks a year if that were possible. Then you listed a whole range of other activities which you think you should do, for health and weight control, but don't enjoy.

The answer is therefore to find another sporting activity that you DO enjoy and which you can do in the weeks when you're not skiing.

I play volleyball competitively - a great sport for a skier because it strengthens a lot of the same muscles, tendons and joints which you also use whilst skiing. But, the key thing is that I genuinely enjoy it - and as it's a team sport I have to show up even if I don't feel like it as otherwise I'm impacting the rest of the team. So, unlike running (which I do do but only because I do triathlons), which I don't enjoy and have to force myself to do, I never struggle to get out to go and play volleyball.

I'm not pushing volleyball particularly - that's my choice - but suggesting that you find a sport that you genuinely enjoy rather than trying to force yourself to do something which you don't.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@Weathercam, so in effect I maintained my weight loss of 7kg which is what I was implying in the first place. You weren't the one I considered to be rude and patronising.

Was that me?

PS well done on dropping the 7 kg.
snow conditions
JackSkier wrote:
The only way you will keep the weight off is if you make training and a good diet part of your life, rather than just something you decide to do when you feel unfit/ overweight. .

Exercise may be helpful, I am not sure that training is essential.
People were far skinnier years ago when virtually no one trained. Incorporating exercise into your daily routine through simple things like walking to work may well be just as useful as 'training'.
Not that I'm criticising training if that's what you enjoy
snow report
T Bar wrote:
JackSkier wrote:
The only way you will keep the weight off is if you make training and a good diet part of your life, rather than just something you decide to do when you feel unfit/ overweight. .

Exercise may be helpful, I am not sure that training is essential.
People were far skinnier years ago when virtually no one trained. Incorporating exercise into your daily routine through simple things like walking to work may well be just as useful as 'training'.
Not that I'm criticising training if that's what you enjoy

You are right, I should have made a distinction between the two. I guess the difference between training and exercise is that training would be focussed on improving performance, whereas exercise is just doing activity.

I do think 'training' with a goal in focus is good- I am personally motivated by making progress and I reckon most would be when they get into the swing of it.

But regular exercise is also good.
snow report
@T Bar, my last London job involved (unless it was really, really wet), 40 minutes brisk walk each way.

Even though I was and am and for a long time a regular gym user, runner, skater, ... I have never been so generally fit as that period.
ski holidays
@under a new name,
Yup I don't think Ive ever been as fit as I was at Uni when I walked everywhere.
snow conditions
I'm about to do the 3 Peak Challenge and have been doing lots of walking in preparation. I've really enjoyed it and am aiming to continue.
This may have already been said, but hill walking is a great way to burn the calories. I don't remember whether or not walking was on your hated list, but if not, you could consider joining a walking group? Probably some local ones to you - these are national with local branches...
http://www.ramblers.org.uk/
https://www.ldwa.org.uk/
snow report
@Ray Zorro, walking is absolutely fine. I have to do it with my dogs anyway.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, meant to say this on my previous post, but well done on keeping the 7kg off.
It's easier to lose weight in the short term than keep it off in the longer term so you are doing really well!
snow conditions
@Ray Zorro, thank you.
latest report
@Hells Bells, We went out for a lovely hour and a half mountain biking last night....the corned beef pie in the pub afterwards was delicious. A crash diet is not sustainable. You are doing it the sustainable way.
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, I was planning to get the bikes out this weekend for a gentle ride down the cycle paths at the other side of Durham, but hubby's back is so bad this week, I don't think he'd even cope with a ride with me. we might manage a stroll to the pub.
latest report
@Hells Bells, Almost Geneva Airport Duck-esque Laughing wink wink
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, he definitely won't manage that wink.
snow report
If someone drinks too much it's quite alright to call him/her a drunk but if someone eats too much it's taboo in our society to state the obvious. Every gram of weight lost gets great praise but stating the hard facts about fitness, calorie intake etc is seen as being politically incorrect and rude - even if they request the advice in the first place. Once the desired weight has been reached the praise stops and so many put the weight back on again. If you treat overweight people like spoilt children it's hardly any surprise there are very few lasting weightloss sucess stories.
Then there are a lot of people who are never over weight because they invest the time and effort in exercising and eating well all their lives, not just on crash diets and binge exercise plans - do these people get praise or are they treated with animosity?
I wonder if this is one of the reasons so many in our society are overweight today.
latest report
@DB, being overweight is a defect, as is being alcoholic, drug dependant, poor personal hygiene, rudeness, arrogance, etc etc Being drunk is dangerous to those around the drunk, you can't function normally if one is drunk. drunk.
People are overweight because of the availability and pricing of food. Historically, only the rich were fat, now it is becoming the reverse.
I think it is pretty rude to point out any defect in a person.
snow conditions
Quote:

I wonder if this is one of the reasons so many in our society are overweight today.

No.

I don’t see the phenomenon you described. Where I’m, people are praised for being fit. They also get support when they try to lose weight. BOTH.

The desire to lose weight usually come from within. Whether they succeed or not in the long term depends on a lot of factors, genetics, stress, other obligations, priority... But lack of continue support isn’t it.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think it is pretty rude to point out any defect in a person.

+1. I'd soon lose friends if I kept calling them fat or even drunks. I do know someone well who once did that to some of my snowHeads friends. Our friendship considerably cooled after that time. I still see the person very occasionally but no longer keep in touch with them as much. As for the 'fat drunks' referred to , they are still my friends.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
... As for the 'fat drunks' referred to , they are still my friends.

phew!
ski holidays
DB wrote:

Then there are a lot of people who are never over weight because they invest the time and effort in exercising and eating well all their lives, not just on crash diets and binge exercise plans - do these people get praise or are they treated with animosity?

Utterly bizarre, I've never heard of anyone of normal weight treated with animosity because of it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy