Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
I was in St Anton last week

There was carnage at the end of every day on the Kandahar with it being the only route back to town

It's a recipe for disaster tbh
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The rumour I heard when I was out there last week, was that there is some kind of dispute over the installation of avi fences along that section. Saw a few skiers sliding down the side of the black 52 on their bum with friend/other half behind carrying their skis behind them last week. I dread to think what it's like this week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Markymark29, thought it would be. Thanks
Brother in law is hiring a car so makes it easy for us
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@elj221c, thanks too
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there 3rd to 10th Feb and I didn’t think it was that bad at the end of the day, it is a hell of a lot busier down that black than it usually is though!
You don’t see many on there usually
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski wrote:
We are off to Stuben in a few weeks time as a group of 3 couples. My sister is coming and is a timid skier but has been to Stuben and Oberlech before. Embarrassingly despite my 10 visits or so to Arlberg I’ve never done Sonnenkopf. Would that suit a nervous skier?

One of the Steepest Black Pistes in Austria Run 10 Klostertaler Abfarht Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steißbachtal

Someone is getting a bit closer to the reason but not entirely...

Just a reminder it has been closed all season
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steißbachtal

My guess: It has been determined that avalanche fences are necessary because of regulations/legislation. The land owner does not want to allow it (or is asking for too much money in compensation) or there is a dispute over who should pick up the bill. Further guessing that this is causing a rift between the local farmers and those in the village whose livelihood is directly linked to skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SkiingDad, See below - not enough sheep in summer

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 14-02-18 17:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Found this...

http://www.rundschau.at/imageschaden-fuer-das-skigebiet-und-den-ort/
(use google to translate..)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Markymark29,
You're wrong about cutting (or animals eating) the grass. In fact, a major factor causing avalanches is that there are fewer and fewer farmers, and hence the grass is left too long in autumn, making the slope like a huge slide of flat grass, causing the famous "gleitschnee" avalanches which are currently the main reason for the closure of the Steissbachtal. Additional issue: avalanche triggering is not effective against 'gleitschnee' avalanches
Exactly because of this phenomenon, the Skilifte Lech are farming themselves since some years, with low-maintenance Scottish Highlanders!
Maybe this would be a solution in St.Anton as well?
https://www.lechzuers.com/schottenhof-visit?d=01-2018
http://www.vol.at/rinder-gegen-lawinen/3817285
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am off to Zurs on 17/02/2018. First time to the Arlberg. Are there any areas that are must ski areas and any areas to avoid.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jon1960, if you are staying in Zurs then IMHO you will be in the best spot for staying ahead of the skiers from both Lech or St Anton trying to get to the other. Enjoy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jon1960 wrote:
I am off to Zurs on 17/02/2018. First time to the Arlberg. Are there any areas that are must ski areas and any areas to avoid.

Weisse ring is worth doing, assuming you have a week, a day in Warth, a day in Zurs, one in Lech, one in Rendl (ski Stuben on the way)then go back to the favourite areas!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Langerzug, you’d better tell the mayor, I was only quoting what he said.....I know exactly what you are saying, if the grass remains too long in autumn then gleitschnee is the result. It’s not the farmers who keep the grass short - it’s the sheep and cows 750 vs 150 etc....not many hills in Holland are there?.😜
snow conditions
@Markymark29, that’s just the point, not so much cows and sheep nowadays, the St.Antonians stopped farming!
snow report
@Langerzug, yep when we go hiking in summer it’s noticeable so few animals in the mountains grazing.
snow report
Steißbachtal

Well it is out in the Open Space Finally. (Link Above) ...

Landowners & Avalanche Barriers do not Mix very Well this may turn out to be another Malfontal & be closed for seasons ..........just saying
snow conditions
Snow due next week.. Laughing
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Steißbachtal

Well it is out in the Open Space Finally. (Link Above) ...

Landowners & Avalanche Barriers do not Mix very Well this may turn out to be another Malfontal & be closed for seasons ..........just saying

So, you have decided to jump on the bandwagon and agree to what I, and others, have speculated in posts above. 😄

Snowing lightly. Poor visibility and insane crowds. C’est la vie!

2pm Update: Has been snowing quite steadily since lunchtime. Fresh tracks and much reduced crowds, at least where I am. Happiness!
snow report
Thu 15th. Been snowing steadily most of the afternoon. Looks like they've shut a few of the itinaires.

Had a pleasant morning at the far end of Rendl in the trees off rifelbahn 1. Some lovely snow there, not quite untracked but pretty close in places. Which brings me to my question...

Is the area between Riffelbahn and Rossfall more or less prone to avalanches than general? Saw much much less sign of avalanches than elsewhere but the general lack of tracks did make me think someone was trying to tell me something.

Went down that big wide gully just below the ridge, which was amazing, but probably a bad call TBH.

Where's best to go tomorrow for undeadly powder?
ski holidays
@TheGeneralist, Unless you're there impossible to say regards safety and where to go but if its been snowing i'd be heading straight up Albona, or back up Rendl assuming you're not alone and have got all the right av kit, maybe north faces of each but its all dependent on Av Risk, exposure, terrain, windblown factors etc. Or over in Zurs north side. Get a guide is my advice.
latest report
Quote:
assuming you're not alone and have got all the right av kit,

Kit, yes plenty. But alas I am on my own.

Anyone available tomorrow?
snow report
@TheGeneralist, Nope but i'd not be off-piste (apart from local to the pistes) and certainly not on Rossfal. Why not go with P2P?
ski holidays
@ulmerhutte, No .

No one mentioned Landowners 6 weeks ago ...or who are the owners ?Happy Happy

Watch this space
snow report
Markymark

Was your reference to Rossfall because it it is particularly schlimm or just because it's not near piste?

(Not starting BTW, just keen to get opinions)
latest report
stanton wrote:
@ulmerhutte...

Watch this space

What, until you can find something else to cut & paste? I would not be surprised if it turned out that you don’t actually ski here. You rarely post anything that resembles real-time, local information. Weight of evidence strongly suggests that you are a banker.

...ooops: There is typo in the last sentence. 😄😝😄
ski holidays
I'm thinking of blocking a Snowhead here. Guess who? (Hint: it's not stanton).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
@TheGeneralist, Unless you're there impossible to say regards safety and where to go but if its been snowing i'd be heading straight up Albona, or back up Rendl assuming you're not alone and have got all the right av kit, maybe north faces of each but its all dependent on Av Risk, exposure, terrain, windblown factors etc. Or over in Zurs north side. Get a guide is my advice.

I would be careful on the Albona.

I was there the third week of January. The week before during one night the whole north face of the Albona avalanched from the very top and went all the way down to the car park in Stuben. We saw the aftermath. I have been to St Anton many times and have skied that off piste face many times but have never seen anything like it.

I am no expert but it seemed to me that the whole of the early season base was stripped away, so what the consequences are I dont know.
latest report
@ulmerhutte,

Ive been here 30 yrs ...tonight im im Innsbruck.

You were all guessing (Avalanche bs) but even still in the article it does not exactly say why ...and that is why i mention Malfontal ...think a bit more out of the box...? The owner is adament thats all i say.

Enjoy your stay...
snow conditions
@stanton, The article clearly states that it is not just a landowners issue:

"Es habe Projekte seitens der Arlberger Bergbahnen für eine Errichtung von Lawinendämmen im Steißbachtal gegeben, wobei die Grundverhandlungen aber leider nicht positiv abgeschlossen werden konnten und auch Quellschutzgebiete eine gewisse Rolle spielen"

There also appears to be the matter of the "Quellschutzgebiete" (areas with sources of drinkwater)

And the mayor says:

"Es werden sich die drei Institutionen Gemeinde, TVB und ABB zusammen setzen müssen, um über Lösungen zu diskutieren und die bereits vorhandenen bzw. neue alternative Projekte mit den Grundbesitzern diskutieren bzw. sich auch in Richtung Beweidung und Bewirtschaftung diverser Flächen Gedanken machen"

So indeed they are also looking at the matter of (lacking) farming.

You were very much hinting at the -cliché- of the landowners, whilst they issue is much more complex.
In the end the issue really is about avalanches and the extreme conditions (gleitschnee) of this season.

Nobody should underestimate Mr. Manhart of the the Skilifte Lech.
He is a visionary, and he recognized the issue, and the solution with the Scottish Highlanders some years ago already. And in fact he also anticipated that few people in Tyrol or Vorarlberg would adopt the Highlanders, thinking it was a ridiculous idea.
ski holidays
From 4 weeks ago ....

DB wrote:
Land disputes have been know to close lifts & pistes. Lift companies often have a deal with land owners (e.g. Farmers). Sometimes they fall out.
ski holidays
Maybe 10 - 15cm, perhaps a little more, of new snow yesterday afternoon. Acceptably dry, though certainly not powder, above the Gampen. Wet goggles below, though it snowed all the way to the village.

Found out last night that an entity, I think ABB, but not sure, actually gets the grass cut in Schindlerkar, Steissbachtal, and Mattun. It is done by a contractor from Vorarlberg. He uses a remote control machine, about the size of a dining room table. Has been known to startle a hiker or 2.
ski holidays
7am Update - now raining in the village. 😰
latest report
Yuk.
ski holidays
Well, there won't be a problem with queues today. Skibus is almost empty.

Let's see if there is an area above the rain but below the cloud.

Fat chance
latest report
The predicted heavy snow week is not going to materialise now...ONly Ankle/Shin dust if your lucky Sad Sad
snow report
@Langerzug, It is a Landowner issue , I know this 100%
snow report
It’s 100% dull that you keep posting about this, but then don’t actually say anything useful. If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
snow conditions
can we get back to conditions/weather/skiing please, had enough of the playground I know more than you but I'm not telling.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy