Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baqueira Beret Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening,

I'm looking for advice the best place to hire skis from in Baqueira or Vielha

I'll be staying in Viehla next to a bus stop, is it a hassle to schlep up and down with kit or am I I best hiring in Baqueria itself?

Any advice is much appreciated. Also, any restaurants or bar recommendations much appreciated.

Cheers
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
44 views and no one has any advice?

Come on you lot wink
ski holidays     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plenty of hire options up at 1500, from the bus stop. Otherwise it will be the case that you just put them in the under store for the bus on the drive down.
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did a cracking 4 day boys long weekend in March 15. We stayed in the Tuc Blanc, so across the road from the bottom of the main Baquiera gondola. I seem to recall there was a ski hire shop on the ground floor underneath the hotel, just to the side. I had my own kit with me but others hired from there and were happy, one so much so had made the shop an offer and bought the skis at the end of the trip he enjoyed them so much.

For lunch on the mountains we ate twice at the San Miguel Refuge (now called El Refugi I think) on the piste between Baquiera and Bonaigua which was good (and good value, compared to French mega resort prices) on both occasions. Once at a typical self service (ie. smutty burger n fries from the counter) at the main base of the lifts in Beret, and once at a restaurant on the terrace above that self service which was really quite nice, bbq'ed cuts of meat - perfect if you get a blue sky day.

An apres ski beverage at the Moet Winter lounge, on piste between Beret heading back to Baquiera, if you've got the cash for a bottle, is a worthwhile hour at the end of the day if the sun is out. There's also usually a bit of atmosphere for an hour or so at piste closing at the bar right at the base of the piste by the Baqueira gondola.

In the evening we twice ate out at La Bordo Labato, just down the road from Tuc Blanc. Very good. However assume you will be Vielha in the evenings.
There were a couple of restaurants bordering the open space just above the Hotel Monarto, one was a fondue place, one was a grill, we ate in one of those.

The place was pretty quiet in March to be honest. We operated on the "locals" clock ! So a few drinks at 5pm, then kip until 10pm, get up, shower, go for late dinner. We popped into the nightclub "Tiffanys" on the main carpark, it was still dead at midnight. By 2am a few folk had started to turn up but it was still dead and we left.

If it snows (we had fantastic fresh snow 3 out the 4 days) make sure you are up for first lift - you have the runs almost to yourself for the first hour. Fantastic, if it's dumped powder on top of the groomed pistes.

Birreria Eth Refugi is worth popping into if you like micro brewery type beers. Tiny little bar snuck down behind Tuc Blanc, with great selection of imported beers, friendly owners/staff.
ski holidays     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's ski storage and lockers at the Baqueira base station. Either below the chairlift or the gondola, I can't remember now. They were very friendly, gotta love the Spaniards.
snow report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thinking about a trip to Baquiera/Beret in late January. Attracted by lower cost than the Alps and better food (we were there mountain biking in October and it looked great). Last year spent a week in Barege. Flights and transfers look cheap and easy via Lourdes/rental car.

Any experience? I'm guessing few British skiers as almost no-one running trips. Any recommendations on accommodation and which village/part of a village to stay in?
ski holidays     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://www.baqueira.es/noticias/971
ski holidays     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@b33k34. I went to Baqueira with Ski Miquel years ago and they are still offering the resort. They must be doing something right.[/b]
snow conditions     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was there last January, stayed in Vielha and rented in Baqueira.

There's an Inter Sport at the base of one of the apartment block, 20m further down the hill from Boutique Moga. It's owned by an old fella, Antonio, who is probably in the region of 80. After asking a few questions about my skiing and sizing me up, he recommended some excellent skis, brand new Atomic Redster something or other and offered a very fair price without any haggling.

He's yer man.
ski holidays     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
b33k34 wrote:
Thinking about a trip to Baquiera/Beret in late January. Attracted by lower cost than the Alps and better food (we were there mountain biking in October and it looked great). Last year spent a week in Barege. Flights and transfers look cheap and easy via Lourdes/rental car.

Any experience? I'm guessing few British skiers as almost no-one running trips. Any recommendations on accommodation and which village/part of a village to stay in?

It's good but a real ballache to get to on public transport, next time I'm hiring a car.

The food in Vielha is excellent and cheap, loads of restaurants and bars and a very large supermarket. Baqueira is pretty limited for lunch in comparison - Hotel Tuc Blanc 3 courses and a couple of glasses of wine for 20euro. Antonio, the auld ski Yoda I mentioned in the above recommendation for ski hire, seems to eat there every day.

My advice would be to stay in Vielha and take the bus up the road in the morning. Hotels are good, cheap and some have spa facilities included.

The booze is top notch, really nice wine and cheap. There's also plenty of good modern locally brewed beer.

My days of giving a surly Savoyard 25euros for a school dinner spagbol and a freshly pished pint of pisswater are over.

¡Viva España!
ski holidays     
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check out Ski Inspired. They run a chalet in Baqueria, slightly up the hill, one minute walk to a lift into the main system. They also run a ski school. Have stayed stayed there with a group of old crocks for the past two years. Great skiing and as above great food and booze.
snow conditions     
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
peter w wrote:
Check out Ski Inspired. They run a chalet in Baqueria, slightly up the hill, one minute walk to a lift into the main system. They also run a ski school. Have stayed stayed there with a group of old crocks for the past two years. Great skiing and as above great food and booze.

Seconded, plus they will sort you with transfers.
snow report     
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, found SkiInspired. I've seen a few recommendations to stay in Vielha here and elsewhere now (better food and life).

Ski Miguel's chalet gets some bad reviews now and the food in that part of Spain is excellent and cheap - I don't want to be eating crappy chalet food.

It seems to be cheaper to rent a car than use the transfer services (unless theres a charge for parking when you get there).
snow report     
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Free open-air parking at all entrances to the ski area. The covered parking in Baqueira village (Ruda) is not too outrageous, and many consider it worthwhile on bad weather days.

Vielha is a real town, whereas the other villages are, well, villages. Different atmospheres, of course. The Val d'Aran is more of a restaurant place than a party place, so do explore the many excellent dining options. When it's time for a few drinks, Vielha is the better choice. But in fact there are surprisingly many drinking holes hidden round and about. "The valley gives up its charms by degrees", so says my old guide book; and I agree with that. All the villages have sights worth seeing but you have to go exploring a bit... in almost all of them, I've stumbled across nice things and thought, "should've found this earlier". It's something I like a lot about the place, in fact.
snow report     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy