Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots slide on

Poster: A snowHead
While in champoluc we met some Yorkshire folk..as you do...and one girl was selling a simple devise to put boots on.. looked like a nylon bag connected to a strap.. place on boot opening and push foot into boot .. slippy nylon against its self and foot flys into boot... then pull out bag with the strap... i think it was called easy-fit or easy somthing... anyway something like it.. never caught the name.. worth looking if you have boot trouble
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Although knowing the optimal procedure for getting boots on helps as well ...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think there are a few products on the market to do the same and there was an earlier thread talking about this before.

You can always use a plastic bag!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@yorkshirelad, If you have high arches and cold boots these devices can save a great deal of pain and discomfort. I bought one, a Slippin or slippitin or some such, and it's brilliant! Plastic bags do work, but they tend to disintegrate very fast and don't work half as well.

@under a new name, Indeed, but that isn't a complete solution for many of us.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@foxtrotzulu, why do plastic bags change your high arches?

All these are doing is taking away the friction. Proper technique goes a log way the same way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:

All these are doing is taking away the friction. Proper technique goes a log way the same way.
Plastic bags don't change your arches, obviously, but as you say the plastic reduces friction and if you have high arches then the problem is greater in the first place. Thank you for your somewhat patronising comment about 'proper technique' but perhaps you might have considered that I am already using the proper technique? Even using the 'proper technique' then getting into ski boots can still be extremely painful if the boots are cold/damp and you have high arches.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:

Plastic bags don't change your arches, obviously, but as you say the plastic reduces friction and if you have high arches then the problem is greater in the first place. Thank you for your somewhat patronising comment about 'proper technique' but perhaps you might have considered that I am already using the proper technique? Even using the 'proper technique' then getting into ski boots can still be extremely painful if the boots are cold/damp and you have high arches.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's called a Slippin and you can buy online for around £10. It's actually quite good and stronger and more slippery than a carrier bag. Obviously not needed by those experts such as @under a new name, who have mastered their 'proper technique ' but for lesser mortals such as myself it can help.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@foxtrotzulu, never, ever, have cold, damp boots s then you'll hve cold damp feet all day.

You sure you are using approved technique?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, could you describe the proper technique please?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But srlsly... if you are using good technique, and appropriately warm dry boots, your feet more or less won't touch the sides on the way in.

And reducing friction won't be an issue.

Nor will arches, high or low.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got one, and it helps no end. I've had lessons from Colin at Solutions4Feet on how to put on my boots, and I'm quite a quick learner, believe it or not. But it still helps. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Harald Harb talks about putting on boots here:

http://youtube.com/v/0Z0zJNb-jZo
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have very high arches and with certain boots if they are not really warm I struggle getting them on. I have low friction custom footbeds so that helps, but my off piste boots are a 26.6 (7.5) and my usual size in trainers and hiking boots is 9, and if the boots are at all cold then it is difficult to get them on. Rest assured, my technique is pretty good, I've been skiing in the same sized race boots for the past four years. When I had my last visit to my usual boot fitter he called a colleague in to look at my old footbeds as he had never seen such a high arch support (and this guy is a WC fitter of many years experience). On my right ankle I have a little damage from an old off road motorbike spill so that doesn't help either.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Old Fartbag, hadn't got to the Harb vid but that's what I do. Except my rear straps broke off ages ago. So I don't do that bit, nor the tpping of the heels. Otherwise, pretty much.
ski holidays
@Scarpa, without a doubt some amazing recollections Shocked
ski holidays
Actually, this is not a bad idea...99% of the time, I am putting on boots. In a icy carpark. Standing up. Usually 3 times a week during the season. In -15, so any help is needed Happy.

The few times that I am staying in the Alps, its a dream. Sitting down in a bootroom, and putting on warm boots...But that rarely happens
ski holidays
I just usually keep mine in the front footwell of the car with the heater on full for the last 10 mins of the drive snowHead
snow conditions
@Lilledonmarco, keep your boots in the heated cabin of the car...?
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
I just usually keep mine in the front footwell of the car with the heater on full for the last 10 mins of the drive snowHead

nice idea, but I usually have a 10 year old sitting there with his own ski boots...
latest report
@Lilledonmarco, in the footwell? should we call social services?
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Harald Harb talks about putting on boots here:

Jesus wept, an instructional video on how to put boots on? What next, how to zip up your jacket correctly?
ski holidays
@homers double, it's not actually that intuitive...and most people I have ever watched don't do it properly. Mind you, most people can't carry their skis properly either...
ski holidays
Hey its only 14 minutes long.
ski holidays
Previous thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82411&sid=5fdecb97a4591cd9512dc804ba831c0a

On which the final comment probably sums it up best...
Quote:
I guess they are a little like incontinence pants...... i.e. if you suffer from this problem then the cure is great. If not, you won't see what the fuss is all about.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Lilledonmarco, in the footwell? should we call social services?

Please do...Maybe they can also take my non-skiing wife wink
snow report
@under a new name,

Yes, I'm quite sure I'm using the proper method. I hadn't seen the Harb video, but that's exactly what I've been I doing for years. Of course proper technique helps, but it's not a complete solution. Of course it's better to have warm dry boots, but that's not always as easy as it might be (and no, it doesn't then mean I have cold, damp feet all day). So, technique helps and warm boots help, but as you may have gathered from some of the replies above this is still a genuine issue for some. High arches can making putting in ski boots surprisingly painful and for those of us wth that problem these devices are very helpful. However you are welcome to carry on assuming that we're just muppets who don't know how to put on ski boots

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 30-01-17 10:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Another vote for slippin, web site is old but still active.
Slippinltd.com
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for slippin, web site is old but still active.
Slippinltd.com
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, muppet.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, muppet.
Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
https://www.snowandrock.com/p/booteze-booteze-I6114062.2000.html

£2.00 delivered, absolutely bargain!

I also suffer from a high instep, plus have limited mobility in my right foot as a result of an injury. I have a very snug pair of Xmax 100 and this little gem has saved me from performing the comedy car park dance at the foot of the gondolas. Boots on in seconds every time Very Happy
ski holidays
Still have a slightly swollen ankle from Christmas 'being run into' event. To AdH again next week, so was concerned about pain of getting boot(s) on. Used the tips in the above, and it was fine.
OK, so the buckle will not be as tight as usual, but actually getting an ankle into the boot with limited movement - wow, what a difference to even the usual, fully functioning days. The tip about moving the tongue slightly to one side, and using your opposing thumb to pull the shell away? Genius.

Thanks Hariad. And thanks @Old Fartbag for posting it.
snow conditions
Dry boots overnight, never an issue, and I've got high insteps too.....whatever next, a gizmo and back up video for holding loo roll and correct usage thereof?

Cold boots, carpark dancing etc....been there done that, wet cold boots.....if that's your style get the above gizmo I'm sure you'll have endless hours of fun!
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
a gizmo and back up video for holding loo roll and correct usage thereof?

Maybe not a bad idea, you'd be surprised how many don't seem to know when putting on a roll it hangs down on the side away from the wall. Criminal!
snow report
NoDosh wrote:

I also suffer from a high instep, plus have limited mobility in my right foot as a result of an injury. I have a very snug pair of Xmax 100 and this little gem has saved me from performing the comedy car park dance at the foot of the gondolas. Boots on in seconds every time Very Happy

I may be a sucker for a gizmo but at 2 quid I did lift a few for our trip last week. It's got the thumbs up from me
snow report
@robandliza, Fully agree. As I said earlier, if you don't have a problem then you won't possibly understand why these gizmos might be helpful. But like you I've found they are well worth a few quid for those occasions when boot fitting can be pretty painful. Contrary to what was said above, it's not all about having the right technique.
snow report
NoDosh wrote:

How did you get free P&P?
snow report
delivery to store or topped up to over £80 I presume as I was just about to press the button but balked at the £3.95 delivery.
snow report
pieman666 wrote:
delivery to store or topped up to over £80 I presume as I was just about to press the button but balked at the £3.95 delivery.

Yes, delivered to store and there happens to be one a 10 min walk from work
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy