Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Austrian Supremacy

Poster: A snowHead
OK - bit cheeky this, and that title to but...

Thought i'd put this up. '
http://youtube.com/v/fJSmWPC5jgk '

This guy, Benni Walch has some really good technique ( IMO) that i'd like to share with you all.

Now with some interest ( for technique comparison), you may spot a familiar colour coordination of a popular ski instruction brand bobbing along free skiing and kinda video bombing in places. My own opinion
of course, comparison sayings like 'Chalk and Cheese' and 'Night and Day' spring to mind and in all honesty, i'm telling it as i see it. What do you say, do you care, does it really matter - prob not.

For me, i'd like to ski as well as Benni Walch - obviously - duh. rolling eyes I'd also like many other things in life that just ain't gonna happen...

Interesting what he does. What stands out for you...

Enjoy, dream and 'dream on' for most of us...

Hope you like.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-01-17 2:05; edited 6 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Interesting what he does. What stands out for you...

well, for me it's his balance, especially his head stability, upper body nearly always perpendicular to slope, always some and often more angulation than most. Seemingly little inclination, pressure peaks after fall line appear to have no effect upon his stance as if they don't happen.

Small, but always some 'up' or 'forward push' ( very subtle and controlled) into the next turn.

His short turns are very very central. Only snow spray coming from under his boots...

What also obviously stands out surprisingly ( or not for some wink ), is his narrow stance, granted his hips are very narrow i.e he's slim, or, perhaps this stance has propagated from his excellence in moguls - think he's some sort of champion or a very strong competitor.

Chime in anyone...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 23-01-17 2:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you post up a proper link your address quoted tries to download something on my tablet which instantly makes me suspicious
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Just needed a space either side and inside of the quote characters...

Hope you like as i said earlier and interested in your view.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very Harb like...

Is this from a mogul lesson? He looks like he's skiing moguls even on the flat [edit: as you note above]. Also, no speedy big turns in that Vid - it would be interesting to see what he looks like when doing those... I'm guessing less mincing would be in evidence.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Love it. 1980s mincing technique, compression deceleration in the turn to allow unweighting and then change of ski direction. Its who I was taught to ski.
Totally dated now by the ski with knees over edging/ carving brigade but this is so nice to watch.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Love it. 1980s mincing technique, compression deceleration in the turn to allow unweighting and then change of ski direction. Its who I was taught to ski.
Totally dated now by the ski with knees over edging/ carving brigade but this is so nice to watch.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He needs a better jacket / pant combo

http://youtube.com/v/g7W26SvVYDo
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, of course, I'd love to be able to ski like that - which of us wouldn't? But to me it looks a little bit "uptight and regimented" - every turn the same. I prefer to watch someone skiing more freely, so on top of their technique that they have no need to think about it, "dancing down the piste", varying things a bit.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm sure he is a superb skier but it all seems a bit 80's shwishy swishy side to side for me.....he must be knackered after 1 run.

Now the bloke in the green top....looks smooth, relaxed (cool Cool . Bet he's not knackered after 1 run. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want to see true domination .....

http://youtube.com/v/KXlo0CxyN8E
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whats with the flinging the tails around/leaping over the fall line like that?

http://youtube.com/v/m-xKjnMy2LY
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A better demonstration of all round technique would be something like this ...

http://youtube.com/v/smgGB3FCkjE
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just love to watch this one, he's not Austrian but Polish

http://youtube.com/v/uW4F8AEiofk
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DrLawn, very clean stuff... but does anybody else think Is he doing something funny with his upper body / arms or is that just a camera angle thing? (or am I just totally wrong...?)
ski holidays
I don't actually believe Benni Walch's style is that 80's really but your opinion is yours... However we all ski, whenever we were taught, from whatever ski association in whatever country in whatever decade, it's all about playing with gravity, dancing with accelerations in a fluid manner, enjoying the slide and having fun. It's not deadly serious.
Every couple of months the top guys and gals are slightly mixing theirs and other techniques up and promoting/showing 'something new' on youtube. Try for yourself, adopt or not.
Happy and safe skiing to all of you and thanks for contributing to my original post.

Now just let me watch Benni one more time... NehNeh
ski holidays
Tim Heeney - I watched just the Benni video above and my first thought was that not all competent and impressive skiing is carving - many people aspire to carve, but it seemed to me only a small part of that video was carving, yet it all looked impressive.
snow report
DB wrote:
A better demonstration of all round technique would be something like this ...

http://youtube.com/v/smgGB3FCkjE

His carving looks very reminiscent of motorbike racing. Very nice all round skiing
snow report
Agree with the 80's swishy comments. He skis beautifully but seems to be working twice as hard as necessary. The one thing that really stood out for me was how on earth the cameraman managed to keep the shot so unbelieveably steady as he tracked Benni thrashing his way down the mountain.
ski holidays
@Bennisboy, if you Youtube Reilly McGlashan today, you'll see he's posted what he calls ' hybridism 1' a couple of days ago. Go see what's he up to today...
'
http://youtube.com/v/aB4PgqeouyA '

Within a few hours of training, these guys can ski anyhow they like. Umm, feet close enough for you now?
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

He skis beautifully but seems to be working twice as hard as necessary

in my mind he's making many more turns because skiing is about making turns - lots of turns - he's dancing to his own rhythm ! Without knowing his heart rate etc i have no idea how hard he's working. If you view his real time mogul skiing i hope you can see he doesn't easily get puffed out Shocked Laughing
What stands out is is very centered balance - watch where the snow comes up. Always under his feet...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 20-02-17 15:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@iSnowhead,
Quote:

I watched just the Benni video above and my first thought was that not all competent and impressive skiing is carving

and how right you are...IMO.

Good carving is very skillful but it is just another skill like so many others...for sure tipping your ski edges up and slicing through snow is lovely but take away my rotary and edge 'smearing' actions and i enjoy wouldn't myself half as much as i do mixing it all up

wink
latest report
Tim Heeney wrote:

What stands out is is very centered balance - watch where the snow comes up. Always under his feet...

Very good mogul type skiing (e.g. dolphin turns) but there's a lot more snow spraying up from his tails than with McGlashan's skiing. The forwards and backwards movement of Walch's feet indicates to me that McGalsham is better centered. There's more than one way to ski, may be we are only seeing a part of what Walch is capable or just a suboptimal technique for the terrain he is skiing. McGlashan on the other hands adapts his technique very nicey to the terrain rather than using one technique for it all.
ski holidays
My Amateurish take on it, is that McGlashan's skiing is properly tapping into what modern carving skis are truly capable of, whereas Benni could use his technique on both Shaped and Straight skis.

Both excellent demonstrations....but of very contrasting styles.
snow report
Tim Heeney wrote:
@Bennisboy, if you Youtube Reilly McGlashan today, you'll see he's posted what he calls ' hybridism 1' a couple of days ago. Go see what's he up to today...
'

Within a few hours of training, these guys can ski anyhow they like. Umm, feet close enough for you now?

He skis very similar to how I do... in my own mind, if not on the actual snow
ski holidays
@Tim Heeney, I'm sure you are right, but I like skiing to LOOK effortless and elegant regardless of what is going on beneath the surface. As Old Fartbag points out Benni's style is almost retro and looks t certainly doesn't look effortless.
snow report
@Old Fartbag,
Quote:

My Amateurish take on it, is that McGlashan's skiing is properly tapping into what modern carving skis are truly capable of, whereas Benni could use his technique on both Shaped and Straight skis.

Both excellent demonstrations....but of very contrasting styles.

well, i'm not gonna argue with that...

What i chuckle at is often or not, is what some people hold up as 'radical' and 'amazing' is a lot of looking good on a blue run - yeah, that's nice looking skiing for sure !
latest report
Tim Heeney wrote:

well, i'm not gonna argue with that...

What i chuckle at is often or not, is what some people hold up as 'radical' and 'amazing' is a lot of looking good on a blue run - yeah, that's nice looking skiing for sure !

Aside from certain movements that are totally counter-productive, I am very sceptical of any instructor who takes a dogmatic approach to technique....as in, "This is always right and that is always wrong".

Having skied over 4 decades, I've seen fads come and go, as well as marked differences in the approach between countries. IMO. There is no one "right" way to ski. Good skiing, is good skiing.

Having learned through both old-school and modern systems, I can see merits in both....depending on where you are skiing, what you are skiing on, the condition of the snow, the speed you are skiing and how crowded/narrow it is.

There is more than one way to skin a cat....though it is important to learn how to tap into the incredible power of modern carving skis (an art that I enjoy grappling with), even if you don't use it 100% of the time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the Benni Walch video - I think you should cut him some slack as he is demonstrating something and he is demonstrating a particular skill at a very high level on terrain for which it would not be my first choice.
What I mean is that the short-swing with a bit of edge check and rebound is a highly effective appropriate technique when you want to ski a genuinely steep slope in a narrow corridor. It is much less the tool of choice on a beautifully smooth blue run! The slight edge check and pop is really handy when the slope is chopped up or cruddy in that it lifts the tails clear of the junk in the pivoted transition. I'd ski like that (well not as polished) on a steep (steep black or steeper) tracked out slope before it became a true mogul field - effective and fun.
Oh and if you find skiing like that knackering it says more about your fitness than the technique - in a nice rhythm it really isn't that tiring.
Does anyone seriously think he can't ski beautiful long and short carves when he wants to?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 21-02-17 15:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Tim Heeney wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/VOUvUZJOHCU

http://youtube.com/v/cIMfJKslkyo
ski holidays
Quote:

I'd ski like that (well not as polished) on a steep (steep black or steeper) tracked out slope before it became a true mogul field - effective and fun.

Come to think of it, I was also using that technique on the busy red cat track last run down to resort last week - keeping to one side of the piste in a narrow channel where the artificial snow was building up in uneven piles, albeit with a bit more "swish" and a little less "pop". Optimal for the conditions.
latest report
@DB, Yeah, Reilly can really ski a bit...I've other mates who rate him highly to, you are not alone in this matter...

I will be watching were this 'Hybridism' is going to take him though. It looks like a lower half mix of Harb and 'turning Japaneese' so far.

Just checking his youtube vids, he certainly is a prolific publisher - 21 vids within the last year alone - geez

Shocked
snow conditions
@jedster,
Quote:

What I mean is that the short-swing with a bit of edge check and rebound is a highly effective appropriate technique when you want to ski a genuinely steep slope in a narrow corridor. It is much less the tool of choice on a beautifully smooth blue run! The slight edge check and pop is really handy when the slope is chopped up or cruddy in that it lifts the tails clear of the junk in the pivoted transition. I'd ski like that (well not as polished) on a steep (steep black or steeper) tracked out slope before it became a true mogul field - effective and fun.
Oh and if you find skiing like that knackering it says more about your fitness than the technique - in a nice rhythm it really isn't that tiring

I'm with you 100% on this. I also find this real fun and a very necessary technique - tiring? - no, no, NO. Fun? - yes, yes, YES! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
T Hee, thanks for posting this video as I have not seen it before and I enjoyed watching it.

You asked what stands out, well for me this is simply truly brilliant skiing. This would without question pass any top level ski instructor's exam in any country in the world. For those of you who say it is "old school" or "mincing", I am sorry but that is totally wrong, this is very up to date modern skiing almost certainly on GS skis, because that is the ski of choice for most top level instructors, certainly in Austria and probably most of the world.

For those of you who say he wasn't carving. Well he didn't make any medium to long radius carved turns, presumably because he didn't want to or wasn't asked to but without question he could if he wished. His very short turns were 'carved' in the sense it was a very quick edge set with minimal skidding.

Some people asked why he skis with is skis so close together. The answer is because he can. If he wanted to ski with them at hip width he could because to reach his level he would have had to have done quite a bit of GS work.

I looked up Benni Walch and here is what I found: -
Benni Walch: Full Cert Austria, Examiner Austria, Ski Guide Austria, Race Coach, Ski Academy St. Christoph, Skischule Arlberg, 2x European Synchro Ski Champion, 1x Austrian Synchro Ski Champion.
snow report
waitrose wrote:
... For those of you who say it is "old school" or "mincing", I am sorry but that is totally wrong, this is very up to date modern skiing almost certainly on GS skis, because that is the ski of choice for most top level instructors, certainly in Austria and probably most of the world....

Yeah, it looks pretty old school and mincing to me. But that's ok, now you've told me it's not, I'll obviously have to use different words to describe old school mincing skiers. If I see any - they do seem to be dying out.

Instructors? Yeah, some of them can ski, but unless they took it up after a World Cup or Professional career they're mostly, well, people who teach novices how to ski.
I know they think it's really impressive, but in the real world no one's impressed by a few badges.
ski holidays
I can't believe he's a pro skier...I'm sooo much better than him! Cool
latest report
Bennisboy wrote:
Tim Heeney wrote:
@Bennisboy, if you Youtube Reilly McGlashan today, you'll see he's posted what he calls ' hybridism 1' a couple of days ago. Go see what's he up to today... I’ll
'

He skis very similar to how I do... in my own mind, if not on the actual snow

I’m watching this on a phone, so I can’t control the playback too well but I thought I noticed that he tends to lift his left ski after transition when turning to the left, whereas he doesn’t lift the right ski as much (it was most noticeable on the run 13s-32s into the video). The reason it caught my attention is because I was looking to see how even his turns were, and I was surprised because I’ve been working hard on NOT lifting my left ski too...

Heaven knows, I’d die happy to be able to ski like that so please don’t think I’m being critical - I’d just like to know if I can trust my eyes!

(edited because I quoted the wrong video clip Embarassed )
snow report
@waitrose, I come at all this 'professional skiing technique' solely with ' what's the outcome', what i'd like to do better to enjoy more my time with skiing. Last couple of years i'm on snow for 20 / 22 days and i know what i'm weak at but perhaps better to say, i know what i want to do better and that is for this and next season work on an Austrian short turn. The 'feeling' of short and long carves at speed / control i have well ( i think ), or i feel i have to a high standard sufficient for total enjoyment on my hols. Sure not up to racing standard but still to a thrill / speeding ticket level that if a mishap occurred, serious injury would probably be the result. I admire Benni's control immensely, what
@philwig, says about , 'real world, nobody's impressed with few badges', i'm in fair agreement with. However, in Benni's case it doesn't apply. I've met a few young Austrian instructors in their late teens at basic instructor levels who are phenomenal skier / athletes and can do anything and it's all just as simple as walking. National associations from the opposite end; non mountainous countries like Holland, Ireland produce educated instructors who ski well enough to teach the masses up to a high level and i feel their 'winning ticket' is in client comprehension of task ( language) , plus many of these are older instructors with perhaps more empathy / patience than the younger colleagues who may struggle to understand / adapt to older skiers bio-mechanical / psychological impediments.
ski holidays
@T_Hee, The age of the instructor will make a difference in terms of whether they learned to ski before or after the introduction of shaped skis.

How old is the guy in the video ?
snow report
@waitrose, Another thing. Benni's ski's on Master GS mid twenties Radius at long length (IIRC 1.82/84 m). So, he's in control of the turn ( let me explain), not the ski fighting or wanting to turn early which it would if tilted - the shovel / tail quickly engaging. A thinner, straighter ski allows very close feet.
His 'style' in the video i prefer to his latest postings with feet too close together even for me!
'
http://youtube.com/v/1LWwNjK6-bs '
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy