Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Diesel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@skiingwithdemons, not quite ....

EN590 is the set of rules to do with diesel. And different countries have different rules.

In e.g. France, “diesel d’hiver” should be good down to -15. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel (I did not know this till now Happy ).

In Italy, a car hired in e.g. Milan will often be filled with summer diesel and require additives or a couple of litres of petrol added to aid cold starting.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. An interesting read (not that I understand it all). I was struck last week by the huge difference in temperature between the outside world (minus lots) and the covered garage - which was above freezing. I was glad I'd made the effort to put the chains on to get into the garage (the ramp is quite steep). I've not had any problems starting and I had the battery checked recently. But having read this I shall use premium diesel next time (I usually use the cheapest as I don't think my unrefined car can tell the difference).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I certainly would not be adding petrol to diesel. There are many articles that explain the effects; this is one: https://www.greenflag.com/breakdown-cover/misfuelling/what-happens

There are a number of additives on the market that can be used if alpine diesel is not available from the pump, eg http://www.peakoil.com.au/wp-content/uploads/PDS/Additive/TorqueIceBreakerpbPDS.pdf

At a pinch, you can add heating oil or kerosene: https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/winter-diesel-problems.pdf
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
But having read this I shall use premium diesel next time (I usually use the cheapest as I don't think my unrefined car can tell the difference).

In any case don't trust the supermarket diesel if it is really cold.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ulmerhutte, i didn’t suggest filling up with petrol, just adding a litre or so to prevent freezing...all you are doing is modifying the fractional mix.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As @under a new name, says, dosing with petrol is very different to taking something close to a full tank when making a missfuelling error.

In those circumstances I understand that the manufacturer's official support advice (within their own support network) is to accept up to 25% petrol in a diesel tank and either to part drain and/or top up with diesel and run the vehicle, refilling at every opportunity with diesel to swing the balance back to normal.
In more extreme cases, to dose with two stroke oil to aid pump lubrication. These are both outside mixing petrol to avoid waxing though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In some parts of the UK of late IR's been close to or lower than -15C.
What do folk recommend here, then? Worth dosing a UK diesel when serious cold is likely or actual?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizzler, I’ve (touch wood) never needed to worry about waxy diesel in UK, despite frequent visits to in-laws who stay at c300mASL near Newtonmore - this last week, eg, it was -14 overnight and no issues. And that was with the car untouched all weekend from Thu pm to Mon early am. I tend to buy supermarket diesel in Edinburgh/ Dundee/ Perth.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, +1.
The article posted is about mis-fuelling.
Adding half a gallon of 4* to 12 gallons of diesel has not yet knackered the engine on my landy, and the car is 30 years old now.
The landy though has quite a low compression ratio, never tried it in newer common-rail diesels.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, Never knowingly owned a diesel... I have a suspicion that the advice I quoted refers better to older machines not todays high tech engines.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@ulmerhutte, i didn’t suggest filling up with petrol, just adding a litre or so to prevent freezing...all you are doing is modifying the fractional mix.

No probs. If it works for you, then go for it. As I said, I would not do it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ulmerhutte, Does it ever get that cold in Oz? wink

When it's midnight on a freezing night, you've hired your car in Milan, the empty garage forevourts are littered with empty additive bottles and you want your car to start in the morning... what do you do?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@ulmerhutte, Does it ever get that cold in Oz? wink

Actually, it does. 😀. At my home hill, it will get down to -5C quite often, and -10C on a few nights in any given season.

One way of telling how cold it got, is to look out for the flatbed trucks taking diesel cars off the mountain!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's something that doesn't add up about "winter" diesel in France from the perception often given on here.

I've often driven through the night from calais to the alps and quite normally seen temps down to -14/16 out across the Riems region and going down to Dijon, so what do they do there for diesel at low temps. I feel it's a misnomer about filling up in the alps to get something different. Are there any hard facts about supply chain that show the northern regions diesel to be less capable?

Since year 2000 we've taken VW diesel cars to alps during winter, never dosed fuel, never chased special diesel, never had a problem. Often we'd get down to Dijon area from UK only one tank of fuel, fill up there and that fuel would be used in the mountains.

Many diesel start problems ultimately come down to battery condition with higher reliance on glow plug supply volts etc at the most extreme temps. If your battery and charge circuit is not up to scratch it'll most likely get found out in these conditions. Many people don't consider how much is drawn out for charging devices from car and how that affects it if not used much.

Something of a self support kit would be a can of easy start, you spray a small amount up the air intake while turning the engine over to get it going if the glow plugs are in any way deficient.

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=74647&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkLTsnuuJ2AIVKb7tCh3iegJzEAQYDCABEgKvfvD_BwE

The above is a self support jump starter, it has no battery so non volatile method, can be charged from your own battery if it won't start the car and doesn't need to be pre charged or kept full to give you a resque means.
It could mean not having to call for assistance and waiting around for ages to get going if you are stuck.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In addition to all the advice above. If you know it's going to get really cold, park in a sunny spot, or think about using an underground garage.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy