Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blizzard Latigo vs Brahma - Opinions please

Poster: A snowHead
Hello knowledge snowheads, Apologies if this has been asked before. I did a quick search and couldn't find it.

I'm in the market for a fast, and fun ski for firm snow conditions. I have a fat (106mm) ski for the soft stuff Smile however, they really don't get very sketchy & scary at speed or on steeper stuff (to be expected).

Looking around I quite like the looks of the Blizzard Brahma and Latigo. I probably have a slight preference for the Latigo given the narrower waist and most likely better hard/mixed snow performance. However I'm seeing mixed reviews about them. Some saying it's definitely for an advanced to expert level skier which is super fast, lively and poppy Very Happy where other places are saying it's more of an intermediate ski.

I'm 5'9" (175cm), 70kg (before clothes) and really love the steep, challenging terrain and going as fast as conditions allow. I plan to use them for piste and off the side/between pistes on non powder days of course snowHead snowHead Very Happy So expecting to have to deal with a wide variety of snow types.

What are your experiences with either or both ski's?
And what ski length would you think is good option for me?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have skied neither....but still have an opinion (don't we all!) Very Happy

I would look at the Brahma, which (from what I've read) is a great piste ski, but still versatile.....and at 88mm will be noticeably quicker edge to edge than a 106mm waisted ski.

At your weight and for more piste use, I'd go 173 (I think).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-01-17 19:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Garethr, i had the first gen brahma and found it a great allrounder , happy in the soft stuff , and with the flip core more than happy charging around the pistes , think the new version is just a different top sheet , think 173cm would be the best length , i think the 88mm waist is the optimal width for this type of ski , another (more expensive) option is a Kastle mx 88 which imho is one of the best skis ever
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Latigo "BRIDGES THE GAP BETWEEN RACE-INSPIRED TECHNOLOGY AND A FREERIDE FEEL"

WTF Puzzled

I think I'd want an out and out GS ski myself. Actually, I would want a full on FIS slalom ski, but that's me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To throw another into the mix glisshop have Scott The Ski at silly prices for the 2016 model at the moment. Might suit your light weight?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Garethr,
I have the Brahma 187 and 114 fat ski and find the Brahma is ideal for piste/crud use.
I just sold my Head Titans as the Brahmas provide me with more versatility.
They will carve at all speeds and are very stable at high speed.
Seem fine to me on shorter turns when needed as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Brahma is an awesome ski!! I love it for it's performance on piste. The ski (2015 version) feels like a GS ski for grip levels but is very manoeuvrable and quite versatile. I ski it in bumps (not huge rut lines) but it is a bit of a handful off piste in tricky snow because of the 180cm length I opted for. My stats: 162cm and 52 Kgs plus I'm female Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for the input. It seems the Brahma is coming out favourite.

@juliad, You like a LONG ski!! Or does the Brahma ski very short?

My powder ski is 181cm so thinking a 180cm Brahma would be too much ski for me?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Garethr wrote:

My powder ski is 181cm so thinking a 180cm Brahma would be too much ski for me?

They are supposed to ski short, but have a pretty damp feel, so the 173 should not be squirrelly....though this year, they are supposed to have a lighter feel, with the carbon tip and tail rocker.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Garethr, I've skied GS skis between 175-183 so quite used to length for a performance ski. If I was looking at skiing more varied terrain on it I would definitely ski it shorter but it wasn't bought for that purpose. The other half is a little lighter than you and thinks that technique has to be spot on to ski it in the 180 length on all terrain at his weight. Just think of it as a fat GS ski which is more turny, versatile and fun. I don't think it skis particularly short but the slight tip and tail rocker help.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @juliad, that helps clear things up. I've never skied a GS ski. My previous ski was an intermediate all mountain ski which was a great progression tool. However, now I find it gets very unstable when I ski at speed.

I would definitely class myself as an advanced skier, so my technique is not always spot on. I think 173 length would likely be the better choice for me in this case.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Given you already have a soft snow ski, I don't know why you would compromise at 88mm waist. I'd go narrower and therefore quicker edge to edge and easier to set high edge angles on hard snow (which is really what makes piste skiing really satisfying IMO).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the input @jedster, I hadn't really thought about that.

My plan is to use them on piste, off the sides and in between pistes. I'm not looking for a true carving piste performance machine (not yet anyway!). What would you suggest looking at if not the Brahma?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Garethr, I actually brought the Latigo in a sale last spring and havent christened them yet. I will in 1.5 weeks time and cant wait. I had the same objectives as you, skied on (quite) fat skis for 5 years but found them hard for moguls/hard packed pistes. I wanted something that was playful and easier on those moguls and harder piste conditions yet still playable off piste. The brahma didnt seem like a big enough change which goes along with what is said by @jedster, albeit the brahma is supposed to be very good in all conditions. Hope I like them and if its not too late I can let you know.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @stef88, I'm very interested to hear some thoughts on the Latigo. From what I've seen in the reviews it's a real charger and super fun to ski Smile

Although, i'm getting conflicting view points... some people are saying go Brahma, some Latigo.Puzzled

I'm struggling to find any shop that has test ski's of either that I can take out to try so might have go in blind

I've got a few days planned in Davos from 27 Jan and ideally would like to have the new ski's by then (so your timing would be perfect. The earlier you can let me know the better of course.)... unless it continues to dump snow in which case I'll be having lots of fun on my fat ski's! Very Happy snowHead
snow report
I love my Brahmas. I bought them for exactly the same reasons that you're looking at them. I'm 183cm tall and ski the 180s. My other touring/softer skis are 185 Whitedots. Hope that helps. Cheers SK
snow report
@Garethr, will try my best to remember to update you. Ive got 2 days in Hemsedal, Norway the weekend after next. 1 day will be spent getting used to them though probably. The only slight drawback about the Latigos is I dont think they have been updated for 3 years now unlike the Brahmas and fatter ones. Which means you are kind of being ripped off if you pay full or near to RRP. Think I paid 400 euro inc bindings (so around 300 euro for skis only). I could be completely wrong about the update but they appear to look exactly the same and I remember trying to barter with one store for a discount and they said no because it was going to remain the same for the following year.

R.e. conflicting reports on Brahma vs Latigo- I think thats just because the Brahma one of the best all round skis out there - but I suspect the Latigo is better on piste (worse off piste), only makes sense. Latigo also has more attractive paintwork and can often be found cheaper. All those three reasons made me purchase it.
snow conditions
Garethr wrote:

Although, i'm getting conflicting view points... some people are saying go Brahma, some Latigo.Puzzled

I would take the view that the Brahma is a better On Piste ski, than the Lattigo is an Off Piste ski...so will depend where you want to make your compromises.
latest report
I have the Blizzard Latigo and have skied a week on them last year in SkiWelt area.

Firstly the ski definitely lives up to its reputation of being able to hold an edge on piste, and being narrower it is quicker edge to edge than other skis I've skied recently which have all been 88mm++. To get the most out of the ski does require some effort/technique application as it is reasonably stiff - if you are prepared to do that it rewards you with remarkable edge hold even on harder sections. I enjoyed skiing in it a variety of conditions. We had a few days of fresh powder on our trip and although it was never deeper than around 30-40cm there was nothing holding me back from keeping up with friends on much fatter skis / snowboards - the shovels at the front seemed to be large enough to not need to worry too much about it diving suddenly. Out of fresh snow it was great at being a piste cruiser due to its edge hold, I might even say it made moguls fun(ish!). Realistically in Europe I was finding that holidays where I skied even 50%+ off-piste were very limited and most of the time I just didn't need the width - that's what made me buy this ski and what would make me hold onto it.

Having said all that, I'm hoping to sell them as I need some wider skis for my planned trips this year and *apparently* there is such a thing as owning too many pairs of skis. They are in great condition, let me know if you're interested...
ski holidays
Quote:

I would take the view that the Brahma is a better On Piste ski, than the Lattigo is an Off Piste ski...so will depend where you want to make your compromises.

That's possible - I have no basis for judging that but like I say he already has a 106mm ski which is likely to be better than a Brahma off piste so why wouldn't you prioritise on piste?
snow report
Quote:

Thanks for the input @jedster, I hadn't really thought about that.

My plan is to use them on piste, off the sides and in between pistes. I'm not looking for a true carving piste performance machine (not yet anyway!). What would you suggest looking at if not the Brahma?

Honestly I haven't tested any more piste based skis recently and I would probably go for a (non-FIS) GS type ski but for something a little less purist then Latigos sound a sensible option but Head Titans and Magnums get a lot of good press round here. Also Volkl RTM?
latest report
jedster wrote:

That's possible - I have no basis for judging that but like I say he already has a 106mm ski which is likely to be better than a Brahma off piste so why wouldn't you prioritise on piste?

No reason at all....though if I was, I'm not sure it would be the Latigo.

I was really thinking out loud....and only the OP can decide where to make his compromises.
snow report
Just a suggestion to take a test run if you can - i demo'd the brahma over xmas and found it very damp and lifeless no matter what i did with it. Obvi others love it but your mileage may vary.
latest report
@Garethr, having skied both I opted to buy the Latigo in 184cms. The Brahma is an excellent all round ski which does not feel wide at 88mm width, nor too stiff with 2 titanium layers plus more metal under the bindings. However, I weigh in at 90kgs and would reckon below 80kgs a skier may be just too light to get the best out of the ski especially on piste. The Latigo despite being billed as the Brahma's slimmer brother is more than that. The 78mm waist and tighter radius gives much more response especially out of the turn. Faster edge to edge than the Brahma, the Latigo feels much quicker in the turn especially in short to mid radius carving. For me the difference is all based on whether you want a very decent piste ski, or a half decent piste ski that performs pretty well off piste to boot. I went for the Latigo as I reckon I spent the majority of ski time now cruising the courduroy, hitting the bumps, and generally posing on the piste!! Only advice for which ever you choose is to go for the longest length you feel comfortable with, do not buy short, as both skis have a superb front rockerthat glides into turns and smooths out crud and crust.
ski holidays
@essex, just how much do you weigh? I reckon the Brahma favours heavier skiers. Fwiw.
snow report
After much research I went for the Brahmas over the Scott the Ski. This was based on my preference and Spyderjohn's recommendation. Though I spend most of my time on piste I find they cut through the crud and chopped up snow so much better than the piste skis I've previously hired. I feel I can commit to a line without worrying about getting knocked off track.
Though having looked at the Latigos just now they do look good too.
Though I think the Brahmas will give you more options for skiing different conditions overall. A single quiver ski.
snow report
Right..I have the Latigos in 170. I'm a female advanced skier, 5ft 5 and around 60kg and now (eek!) 51. I used them as my day to day piste ski on a performance course for a month last year and since. I don't think they are particularly stiff. Grip well, but ultimately are not what you want if venturing casually into the soft stuff off the side is on the menu.I really like them. My other skis are 106mm Liberty Envy Powder...not that they have had much use recently...

However...I have tested the Brahmas twice in the last two seasons on ski test trips to Zermatt. I absolutely LOVE them..skiing them for at least a day on piste (with a little side country) on each occasion. I think they feel noticeably stiffer and damper than the Latigos, but grip better on piste at speed. They just instill incredible confidence. I have tried and felt entirely happy on the 173s, even though some might say that is too long for my height and weight. I wouldn't want to go shorter. I suppose by recreational skier standards I am a "good skier", but by no means an expert (a level 9-10 on the Inside Out level). I would buy a pair, but am resisting all temptation, partly as the Latigos stood me in such good stead for on piste performance training, carving and short turns, even though they are definitely not a full on piste ski.
(Shall be checking out the end of season sales though Very Happy !)
ski holidays
haha @skimastaaah, and @Perty, basically make it very difficult for ya@Garethr, It just goes to show how its personal preference depending on your weight and technique and you wont know which one you really prefer until you try them both. What you will know if trying them both isnt possible, whichever one you buy, it will clearly make you happy Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Garethr, nearly forgot to get back to ya!

Ok, took me two-three runs to get used to them but now love them. I have 177's and used to ski the scott crusades at 180 (I think).

They are great on piste. Off piste they are ok but nothing more, we had heavy offpiste snow and they wobbled a bit where my scotts probably wouldnt have.

Either way im happy, they ping around the bumps lovely and carve nice Happy.

Lots of compliments on the looks of them too.
latest report
Somehow I stopped getting notifications of comments on this thread so apologies for being quiet.

Thanks@stef88, and everyone else for the input. I'm 5'9" (175cm), weigh in at 70kg before clothes and will ski everything from fast cruising pistes to steep technical stuff and everything inbetween. How does that compare to you? Asking to figure out if 170 or 177 length would be best for me. My Powder skis are 181 length.

@Perty, you have experience of both skis. I already have a 106mm ski for powder days, so my 2nd ski I intend to use on piste and off the side. I find I'm spending more time away from the piste now (maybe 60/40 or 50/50 piste/off piste). On a typical day I can expect to ski groomed, chopped up, crud, moguls and even a few cm's of the fresh stuff. Would you say Brahma or Latigo is more suitable based on your experience?

@magicrichard, I could be interested. Would you post to Switzerland?
latest report
@Garethr I'm selling the 184cm. They do ski short, but that may be a touch ambitious. PM me if you're still interested.
snow conditions
184cm would be way too long. Thanks for the offer though @magicrichard.
latest report
@Garethr, based on that description, I'd take the Brahmas. I really feel the limitations on the Latigos if I try to go off the side, though that is probably not helped by poor technique after getting a bit too relaxed off piste on fatter skis!
latest report
S@Perty, ebay has a pair of used brahmas in 173, and a pair of used latigos in 177, both around the £200 mark.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy