Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Mayrhofen - overnight recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are driving to Mayrhofen in Jan and was looking for recommendations of where to stop overnight. We should be off the Eurostar at about 2pm, so probably want something about a six hour drive from there. Have not decided on our route yet, so all suggestions / recommendations welcome! Thanks Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just had a quick look at the route and would go A4 towards Strasbourg, then in to Germany past Stuttgart. That would be about six hours or so, or maybe just before at Karlsruhe. I've no personal experience of stopping in hotels round there but would opt for one just off the motorway for ease of access, nothing worse that being a bit tired after driving and trying to find your way in to a city centre and deal with one way systems and trying to find somewhere to park.

Presumably the hotel will just be for a bite to eat, beer, sleep, early breakfast and then set off? If so, no need to go for anything spectacular, just a standard hotel chain should be fine. Looking on booking.com there is a Radisson Blu just off the motorway at Karlsruhe coming up at about £70 for the night. I use them a lot in the UK as a chain and am generally impressed with the standard of accommodation.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've driven to Mayrhofen several times and have used that route but I prefer to go via Brussels (don't be worried by the ring road as many on here will knock), Aachen, Koln, Frankfurt, Nuremberg and Munich.
7hours to Nuremberg (Furth) without rushing. we stayed in the Mercure hotel close to the A8 .
If you are going on a Sat then its best to get past Munich and into Austria as soon as possible because the Intal border crossing gets extreamly busy.
With a good run you should be able to get to the border in 3 hours from Furth
Munich ring road will also be busy but does move.
There is a free flowing rat run off the Motorway via Achensee if the weather is fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are three common routes from Calais - the A4 through northern France, or through southern Belgium and Luxembourg, or through central Belgium to Liege and then either via Aachen or Prum. All of the routes converge at Karlsruhe, so there's not much in it.

Going through France, you pay tolls on the A26 and A4. Going through Luxembourg, you get the chance to fill your tank at a 20% discount compared to France, Belgium or Germany, but the stretch between Zweibrucken and Karlsruhe is single carriageway and was still a building site in August when I last went through there, so it will slow you down. On the other route, the distance is greater but the traffic should be relatively free flowing except around Brussels where you may be delayed for 5-10 minutes.

Six hours from Calais may see you to somewhere between Karlsruhe and Stuttgart, but it could be eight hours in traffic depending on when you are travelling. From there, you have 400km to go, but you have the main part of the A8 to be covered, plus the Munich ringroad before you get into clearer traffic, so I'd expect this to take 4-6 hours, and if the A99 is snarled up then you could add another couple of hours to that.

If you want to cut down the journey on the second day, look at whether you can reach Ulm or Augsburg on day one.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've stopped twice at the Novotel in Karlsruhe - it's not too bad to get to from the motorway, but is close to the centre for dinner, and has an easy-to-access underground car park with decent height clearance. From there you should be able to get to Mayrhofen by mid-afternoon on Saturday with a lunch and/or supermarket stop.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Go through Luxemburg, fill the car with booze, really cheap.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy