Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl 're-branding' - no walking in ski boots/carrying skis after 8pm!

Poster: A snowHead
clarky999 wrote:
mayr wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
DO you honestly think a €2k fine if you walk more than 10m to a taxi is fair or proportional?

Did you read the third from last sentence of the article you posted at the start of this thread? Laughing

Yup. Walk 10m to something that isn't a taxi - like home! - and you still have a problem wink

I haven't read the actual police notice though - do you have a link?

What do you mean I have a problem......I have loads of problems!

Not on me no, I don't have the order....I am sort of out of town right now. Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i have to agree with @clarky999 and @langerzug , ischgl has based its success on great skiing and even better apres , so strange that they are now trying to police people into growing up !! the ability to stay out from 4pm - 4am without a change of attire is something that should be celebrated , can't be achieved every night but should be the pinnacle of any weeks ski holiday . had one of the best nights of my life in ischgl a few years back , went through whole ski day from first to last lift then stayed out till breakfast and hit first lift again , no offence caused to anyone , just great fun , just got to pace yourself Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mayr wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
DO you honestly think a €2k fine if you walk more than 10m to a taxi is fair or proportional?

Did you read the third from last sentence of the article you posted at the start of this thread? Laughing

Nice post by the way...must have taken a while to write....and you must be out of breath...so breath deeply for a bit.

Do you not understand that no matter how much you blow your own trumpet or try and stamp your authority over a particular matter, people will form their own opinions and those opinions may differ from yours. The purpose of a forum is for open discussion. People will disagree no matter how much you try to influence them, or ridicule them. Very Happy

I haven't ridiculed anyone (though for some reason you and @Mjit seem to be doing your best to), and am certainly not blowing my own trumpet. Anyone and everyone is free to disagree. But if you disagree you might want to say why. Well I guess you can just say 'no' but that hardly contributes to discussion or understanding.

What do you think Ischgl's aim is with this policy and PR release?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@downhillalltheway,

Yes this is about apres ski. Or more in detail: About drunken idiots on skiboots noisily stumbling into fancy restaurants. That's what they don't want anymore in Ischgl, because it is hurting a much more lucrative business; the business of wealthy, somewhat quieter guests staying in fancy hotels and having fancy dinners....
Lech discovered this some decades ago already.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Langerzug, Yes - you're spot on, and as such this initiative will be welcomed by civilized skiers (like megoodself)

Many times I have been enjoying a luxurious dinner in Burger King and had some drunken oaf step on my Whopper with his ski boot - so annoying!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mayr,
Quote:

people will form their own opinions

This is true. I have formed an opinion of people who come out with nonsense like this.

Quote:

I fully anticipate you will be contacted regarding libellous remarks

I fully anticipate nothing of the sort will happen. What would it achieve? Nothing but negative publicity I expect. Ischgl, I think you're morons if you think carrying ski poles after 8pm should carry a fine of up to 2000 euros. *awaits letter from lawyers* rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe if they want to improve the image of the resort, they should start with the strip clubs rather than the ski boots...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are only two and they're lap dancing establishments not strip clubs. Both are very unobtrusive.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is unfair on skiers, snowboarders have softer boots so they won't get fined! wink wink

TBH the apres bars make a point of shutting/kicking everyone out at 7-ish anyway, so it's really not a big issue.

Why would anyone want to still be in ski boots past 8pm? The vast majority of skiers/boarders want to grab a shower and some dinner after a few beers.

This only affects a minority.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Affects a minority?

Hmm. Not sure. Surely most self respecting snowsports enthusiasts have found themselves out for a couple of drinks, then before they know it they are shuffling into a restaurant for an evening meal in ski boots, with skis suitably deposited in the rack outside.

Now and again it's great to do proper après ski - beer, food & back to the digs (in full ski attire) for bed, whatever the hour... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bergmeister, proper apres ski is not having to put any of your ski kit back on the next morning.

As one old Fleet Street story goes,

It is 17:00 and hack #1 asks, "is that a record? I'm just back from lunch"

Hack #2, "When did you go out?"

#1, "10:00. ... yesterday"
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, I thought your lengthy earlier post actually very insightful
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jirac18, you maintain a 1m zone of safety entirely around yourself at all times?

Don't be ridiculous.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Double post

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 19-11-16 17:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been a few times and I can see what they are getting at and a few here have commented.

The vast majority skulk off back to their half board food at 7/8 and maybe cause a bit of noise.

But what is a real pain is the people who aren't on hakf board packages who come straight from the Trofana et al and barge into restaurants yelling and generally being annoying.

St Anton seems to funnel all these people into the pizza place, is it Pomadoros?!
snow report
So at 3 am I can still ski down the high street then? (Not walking in ski boots or carrying skis) wink
snow conditions
I can see why the original heading would be contested on here as it is leading with your assumptions as to the intended aim of the legislation being implemented, this should really be in the opinion within the text if your read of the situation is to be properly debated.
I can see you've made an elemental mistake in sensational headlining though as you've not taken the trouble to use any of the foremost industry standard phrase that the daily rags would employ, million pound house, love child of an mp and the vintage classic "love nest" to really pull in the punters Very Happy
I guess if people visiting hadn't made an back bottom of themselves in the past, it wouldn't even have been debated at local enforcement level any way. There are plenty of people out anyplace that seem to enjoy themselves in many environments without drawing undue attention or pissing other people off with their behaviour. The one's that cause it will never accept that they are in any way responsible, normally using their distorted view of "rights" to defend any excess behavior. I also don't like arbitrary rules being brought into law, but can quite see how they get there.

Now I don't think they've gone about it the right way. In my view they've got loud singing and noisy shoes, so they should impose mandatory singing lessons on all visitors and probably in the oompah style to drown out the noisy footwear Toofy Grin also perhaps consider sending out instructions with booking conformation to grow a colloquial mustache (not the ladies of course) and voila, with the addition of a tirolean hat, a much more tradition look and feel and properly drown out that nasty plastic footwear.
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
Affects a minority?

Yes. The majority of skiers are not staggering down the road carrying their skis at 9pm after apres, are they? It's just a relative few.

Most people in every resort head somewhere for dinner by 8pm but there are always exceptions.
ski holidays
They clearly want to go more upmarket, but the tone of this letter is both rather patronising and disingenuous. The idea that all the people who go would enjoy so called better quality apres is absurd. Furthermore, they bring in these restrictions when they could more easily arrange for the key apres bars to quieten down earlier or not advertise their resort through huge opening and closing parties. They won't do this though because they want the custom and money of the people who come for the apres but not the obvious negative consequences. If they want the apres crowd then they have to accept that there will be a loss amongst the upmarket really rich crowd and vice versa, because if people go to a resort expecting a party town and they find this is no longer the case, they will take their money elsewhere.
ski holidays
I don't get the overreaction to a reasonable "journalistic" approach to a published piece of information. Presumably the Daily Hate Mail would have augmented it as "Austrians ban apres due to marauding immigrants" or "Brexit benefit as we're now too poor to drink excessively in Austria"

FWIW I think be careful for what you wish for in aspiring to be Lech. I'm a long way past my raging all night apres activity but even I find Lech a little on the dull side.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes,
What I'm trying to say that it is not me, you or any other Snowhead who is deciding what Ischgl should aspire.
It is the Ischgler themselves; and they will. And if they are convinced the apres-ski is damaging the more lucrative side of wintersport-business, they really don't care whether they will in future be classified in the "dull" category, if dull means more money!
Clearly Lech has found a better businessmodel than Ischgl, but Ischgl definitely has the potential to come closer to the Lech-businessmodel. And indeed they appear to want to go that way (a bit)
But still a long way to go....the "Tyrols Leading Lifestyle Metropolis" approach is definitely not pointing in the right direction. But then they probably need some time to shed some feathers....
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@jirac18, you maintain a 1m zone of safety entirely around yourself at all times?

Don't be ridiculous.

I've never been hit on the head by anyone carrying skis in front of me. It seems it has happened to you more than once. Perhaps it's you who is being ridiculous in not adjusting your behaviour to cater for the idiots around you. NehNeh
ski holidays
What they really need to do is knock this on the head:

http://www.ischgl.com/en/events/events-calendar/top-of-the-mountain-concert_event321485

Hoff and The Scorpions (again) headlining this tremendously sad middle-aged-male event is setting completely the wrong tone.

It's a naff square alternative to Mayrhofen's already very naff and very and square Snowbombing thing and needs to be confined to the circular file if Ischgl is serious about changing its image
ski holidays
So who was quoted in the Torygraph then? Smile

I've had a quick scan through page 1 and I can't see...
latest report
rky999 'IMO Ischgl are trying to change their image to compete more with Lech/St Anton but in a really idiotic way'. No way anywhere can compete with Lech, certainly not Ischgl
snow conditions
How can they be trying to compete with both Lech and St. Anton as those resorts are very different to each other?
snow report
Corky wrote:
How can they be trying to compete with both Lech and St. Anton as those resorts are very different to each other?

True, but I'm speaking generally. Lech's known as the best high end resort in Austria, and St Anton as the best freeride (possibly in spite of its party rep) resort in Austria - despite sharing the same terrain and Lech actually getting more snow, that seems to be the popular perception among people booking holidays. I think Ischgl would like to be more recognised for both its skiing and high end/luxury options, rather than mostly being known as a party town and the 'Ibiza of the Alps.'
ski holidays
Is it known as the Ibiza of the Alps? From what I gather it gets an old crowd.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here it is official in the Austrian National News.

Skiboots,Skis & Snowboards forbidden from 20:00hrs in the Pedestrian Zones from now until May 5th.

€25 fine first offense rising to possible €2000

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2809627/
ski holidays
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
No way anywhere can compete with Lech, certainly not Ischgl

Of course it can. As a piste skiing resort it's far better than Lech.
As an apres ski resort it's far better than Lech. It's not all getting carried out of bars blind drunk you know. There are some very nice places where you can sit and drink gluhwein or a bottle of something in a refined environment.
snow conditions
@downhillalltheway,
Quote:

As a piste skiing resort it's far better than Lech.

Interesting opinion
I do agree that Ischgl has some potential.
Yet the guests staying in one of the 9 five star hotels in Lech-Zürs think differently.
Ischgl has 1 five star hotel....
"Far better"??
Follow the money.....
snow conditions
A lot of those people will be going to Lech because it's really quiet. I'm sure Ishghl isn't eager to lose all of its customers it already has to go upmarket. Furthermore whilst the hotels would like an older crowd more prepared to pay 5 star prices, I'm guessing the bars wouldn't.
latest report
Why would anyone judge any resort on the number of 5 star hotels it has ? I genuinely don't see the number of Bogner jackets going down blue runs as a key indicator of the best resort. Look at places like St Moritz or Gstaad in Switzerland. Most people don't even go there to ski. I'll stick to judging resorts by the skiing - both on and off piste. On piste Ischgl wins hands down even against St Anton in my opinion let alone Lech. Off piste Arlberg wins easily.
snow conditions
madlondoner wrote:

It generally does compared to some places (I guess the prices keep youngsters away), and the moniker is applied to plenty of places, but for example Google's own related searches for 'Ibiza of the Alps' are Ischgl party, Ischgl nightlife and Ischgl Austria.
latest report
madlondoner wrote:

I think the 'Ibiza of the Alps' moniker was thrown about when the night club in the Madeline hotel was linked to/branded as Pasha of, so I'm told Ibiza fame.

As for getting the old crowd - old compared to what? I'd estimate the average age in the resort to be 30 to 40 but there's enough teens/early twenties to fill the Kuhstall (and make us feel like dirty old men), 20s to 30s to fill the Trofana Alm (and make it feel uninviting) and enough 50s+ to fill the bar two doors down (and make us feel like scared young deer in a cougar's den).

downhillalltheway wrote:
Why would anyone judge any resort on the number of 5 star hotels it has?

Yep, if you're there to ski hotels are just somewhere to store your clothes while skiing and with beds for sleeping in at night.
snow conditions
@downhillalltheway,
I'm using the 5 star hotels (just to repeat: Lech vs Ischgl: 9 vs 1.....) or rather their prices to find a more general indicator against your "Ischgl being far better", which I just don't think is objectively true.
Also comparing Lech to Gstaad & St.Moritz. Well, hands down I would say....
By the way, Lech wins from St.Anton, both for piste and off-piste. That you are not aware of that, especially off-piste, is telling.
Of course the Oberlech-pistes are rather mellow. But I mostly find that people who are complaining about Lech's pistes, never fully did the Zürs pistes, e.g. Rüfikopf, Trittkopf, Seekopf, Muggengrat, Zürsertäli. And the Langerzug of course Toofy Grin
Warth -ok, a recent thing- makes it even stronger.
And yes, there is more than piste and powder to a skiing holiday. Pretty scenery and village are definitely part of the skiing. And Lech is very special and diverse for that as well, much more so than Ischgl.

To return to topic: I definitely think it is wise for Ischgl to change their policy, and with a lot of potential. To name just a small thing: climate-change. (Ischgl has the edge here over Arlberg)
But clearly they need a lot to learn, they appear to be sticking to bling-bling marketing a bit. For all Ischgl-fans: looks like you gonna need to bring more money in future....
snow conditions
Quote:

By the way, Lech wins from St.Anton, both for piste and off-piste. That you are not aware of that, especially off-piste, is telling.

@Langerzug, Are you sure about that?

Makes me laugh this - how has the number of 5* hotels ever been a measure of how good a resort is..... and what comprises a resort anyway, the town or the mountains around it? I know what I think, I've never stayed in Lech but have stayed in St Anton for 20 years, 3 weeks a season. Lech is a fine place for skiing, just like St Anton, Stuben, Zurs, and Warth.....please lets not get into which is better than the other, they're just different. Collectively they make a far superior area than Ischgl (imo) but its all subjective isn't it, we all want different things, 5* fois gras and lobster type fine dining in the Alps just ain't for me.
snow conditions
madlondoner wrote:
A lot of those people will be going to Lech because it's really quiet. I'm sure Ishghl isn't eager to lose all of its customers it already has to go upmarket. Furthermore whilst the hotels would like an older crowd more prepared to pay 5 star prices, I'm guessing the bars wouldn't.

Yup - the idea that Lech is the pinnacle of aspiration in European skiing is somewhat laughable. For some the number of Scandi girlies dancing on the tables is a fair measure, for others the quality of their 1 Euro Espresso. Lech is fine if you want to be pampered and feel somewhat exclusive no criticism of its fans, though now the riff raff can get in from Warth and Alpe Rauz (actually they've always been able to park at Zuers) maybe that exclusivity will wain a bit.
ski holidays
@Markymark29,
Of course the number of 5* hotels is no measure, it's an indication. (I'm repeating I'm not staying in one of these hotels, not even close Toofy Grin )
Let's face it, Lech, St.Anton en Ischgl are so close to each other, yet so different.
Whilst the main clientele (by far) -also not unimportant- is of similar origin: Germans.
I was using it against the "Ischgl being far (far!) better". With so many 5* hotels, and its guests not having to think about money at all, but just choosing what they think is best (and these people often happen to be remarkebly well informed as well on these kind of things), I just found the "Ischgl far better" a bit too strong and was looking for some less subjective indications, numbers to repute that

My statement of Lech having better piste & off piste than St.Anton was also aimed in reaction because it was used in relation to Ischgl.

But I really do think so, and I know both Lech and St.Anton very well.
St.Antons off-piste is about Schindler, Bachseite, Maroi, Albona, Hinter Rendl, Schöngraben en Mattun.
All that and more is available in Lech: Kriegerhorn routes, Liezen, Mohnenfluh, Stierloch, Juppenspitze, Hasenfluh, Zürsertäli-Varianten. How many of the Snowheads here did Langerzug and Tannegg? Tannegg.....still feel my thighs burning!
On-piste: Blue pistes in Oberlech, Red pistes in Zürs: much better than St.Anton. Oh, and did I mention the snow?

As of this year the Arlberg is united, so that issue is solved anyway. And maybe Ischgl is a bit nervous about that, and thus referring to unconventional policychanges all of a sudden Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 21-11-16 17:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
With so many 5* hotels, and its guests not having to think about money at all, but just choosing what they think is best (and these people often happen to be remarkebly well informed as well on these kind of things), I just found the "Ischgl far better" a bit too strong and was looking for some less subjective indications, numbers to repute that

rolling eyes

The 99% of us on SH's that don't stay in 5 star hotels in ski resorts and therefore aren't as "remarkably well informed" will just carry on and enjoy our skiing anyway I'm sure. We know our place.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy